USMLE - Official 2015 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WBecks0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With 2015 right around the corner I think it's a good time to begin a Step 2 CK experiences and scores thread for 2015. Let's keep the all experiences and scores in this thread.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2015!

Members don't see this ad.

what time do we usually get the email? i can't remember when they sent it for step 1! does anyone know? I ask because I wanna make sure i'm not stuck in the OR when the results come out. i wanna be able to see my score before i scrub in :(

I never got an email for CS or CK! This has been true for many of my friends as well who all just got our scores. It was posted for me around 11am

I never got an email for CS or CK! This has been true for many of my friends as well who all just got our scores. It was posted for me around 11am
Hey thanks for the reply. I definitely got an email for CS and Step1. but I don't know about ck. 11am is kinda late, isn't it? I remember getting the Step1 email pretty early...I don't know. I guess I'll keep checking the page.
Good luck to everyone receiving their score tomorrow!

what time do we usually get the email? i can't remember when they sent it for step 1! does anyone know? I ask because I wanna make sure i'm not stuck in the OR when the results come out. i wanna be able to see my score before i scrub in :(
I received my email at 7:36 am, mountain time day of for Step 1. About 1.5 hours before scores released. Had to be super accurate for everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for the reply. I definitely got an email for CS and Step1. but I don't know about ck. 11am is kinda late, isn't it? I remember getting the Step1 email pretty early...I don't know. I guess I'll keep checking the page.
Good luck to everyone receiving their score tomorrow!

I remember getting my Step 1 email early too but for whatever reason, I didn't get my CK score till around 10:30-11:00. Anyway, hopefully you'll hear back before I did. Refreshing every 2 seconds is torture.

256. Score dropped two points from my step 1 score. Will post later my experience about studying and the exam. Overall happy but would have still liked a little higher than my step 1 score.

i dropped to 236 on step 2 from 246 on step 1.. how bad does this look? i'm trying to do anesthesia

Step 1: 249
Step 2: 259

Pretty ecstatic but fell short of my goal by 1 point on both exams. Let me know if anyone has questions regarding prep

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys!

Been watching the board for awhile. I took my Step 2 on June 23rd and I got a 248. Nothing to crazy but pretty consitent with my NBME's I took 6 3 months out and got a 240 and then 4 at 1 month out and got a 246. Took UWSA and got a 256 one week out. Never took step 1 as I am a DO but got a 647 on the COMLEX which was the 89th percentile for that year. For my studying I did UWORLD throughout my 3rd year making my own notes as I did in addition to doing the Kaplan high yield review with MTB3. I had 1 month of solid studying time doing 12 hour days aprox 5 days a week. During that time I reviewed the notes I had made during the year and reset UWORLD after doing the questions I got wrong. My first pass for UWORLD was a 68% and second pass was 89% granted only made it half way through. I also did CMS for IM, peds, psych and obgyn. I had a few repeats from IM and obgyn on the actual exam. Speaking of the actual exam. I felt like I had been hit by a large bus followed by a freight train after walking out. I felt the exam was most consistent with the NBME but the questions were very vague and often got it down to a 50/50 and had to make an educated guess between two answers that both would be indicated in the clinical world. It was very similar to the kinda crap that's on the COMLEX with very vague descriptions and then having to answer specific questions or best next step. So in all...

COMLEX I : 637
NBME 6: 240
NBME 4: 246
UWSA: 256
USMLE Step 2: 248
COMLEX II: 711

Last edited:
Uworld 1st pass- Low 70 %, Uworld 2nd pass- Low 80 %
Baseline NBME 4 was low 240s
NBME 7
after 3 weeks of studying- Upper 240s
UWSA
1 week before actual exam- Low 260s

Actual step 2 CK- Mid 250s. My final score turned out to be the average of UWSA and NBME 7

As I mentioned before the style of questions/difficulty level was close to NBME 7. Even after calming down and thinking about this exam for 3 whole weeks, I can assure you the exam is harder than Uworld or UWSA. Obviously I don't understand how the scoring works on the actual exam because of the curve but the NBME and UWSA are almost spot on.
Uworld alone is not enough in my opinion if you want to score > 250, you can rest assured that it will get you > 240 if you understand main concepts. Sure it's possible that you can do well with only Uworld but you should add another book to play it off safe and my preference was MTB. I thought MTB was much more to the point than First aid for step 2 CK (abandoned it after 1 week of use)

In summary I pretty much only did Uworld, MTB 2 (IM) and MTB 3 (everything else), First aid step 1 book for Biostats/Psych/Immunology diseases/Biochemistry diseases/Genetics.

Overall I just feel like crap. Studied 6 weeks in which I took a 1 week break and honestly I feel like none of that preparation helped at all.

Through out 3rd year I worked pretty hard. Most of my shelf scores were in the mid to upper 80s (not the best but okay).

I took NBME 4 as baseline before my crunch month got low 240s. On a scale of 1-10 in terms of difficulty I would give NBME 4 a 5/10 it's a pretty reasonable exam. Marked 5 questions per block tops.

Finish 60 % of Uworld and took NBME 7 and scored in the upper 240s. Yeah this was a slightly harder exam but it was still reasonable to some degree. Made stupid mistakes because of timing but on a scale of difficulty I would give it a 6-7/10. Marked 5-7 questions per block.

Finish 100 % Uworld and then read MTB 2 and 3. Then took UWSA got mid 260s. I thought UWSA was a JOKE. Short questions, heavy in medicine (slop sided in my opinion), could read the last 2 lines of the question and already know the answer. Could reread questions, dwell over the answer forever and probably still have 10-15 minutes left each block. On a scale of difficulty I would give UWSA a 4-5/10. Marked 1-2 questions per block (even the ones I marked I was kind of sure).

Took the ACTUAL Step 2 CK. Holy F!!!K!? Humangoussssssssssssssssss question stems. They took forever to read. I was running out of time on every single block even though I was rushing non-stop, I moved extremely fast on this exam and was still shocked at how blood sucking the question stems were. I felt defeated every single block. I would read a question come up with a differential look at the answers and be like wtf is going on? Marking 15-20 questions per block. I would read questions and hardly have a few seconds to think about what was going on and even then I found myself lost in the diarrhea of words.

I think the saddest part about my experience is that CK owned me even on the topics that were my strength and I think that's what really got to me during the exam.

Overall I feel like total crap. I feel like I just wasted 6 weeks of my life but what can I do at this point. I would say in my opinion the closest thing that comes to the exam is probably NBME 7 and even then I thought NBME 7 was a lot more reasonable. I'm just going to go and get $hit faced so tired of this BS.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hear you on the demoralized part - I think that's just in our nature.

Step 1: 222 (after a super long leave of absence)
USWA: 229
Fred: 84%
NBME 4: 221
NBME 3: 250
NBME 7: 247
NBME 6: 244

Step 2: Will let you know

REAL DEAL CK: 247. NBME 7 was spot on but so were the others (the lower scores were flukes as I didn't really take them timed or with no distractions)

Edit: Zero correlation to how I felt coming out of the exam. 25pt improvement was likely due to less testing anxiety going in and a full night of sleep. I slept 1 hour before Step 1 lol. Either way, plenty happy with the results. Applying to non-academic OB.

Last edited:
i dropped to 236 on step 2 from 246 on step 1.. how bad does this look? i'm trying to do anesthesia

Not bad at all. Too many variables to worry about that. The 246 on step 1 is super strong and the 236 is nothing to be ashamed about. If it comes up in interviews, grab a fork and stick it in your butt cheek to wake up from your dream lol.

Step 1: 249
Step 2: 259

Pretty ecstatic but fell short of my goal by 1 point on both exams. Let me know if anyone has questions regarding prep

congras! I have similar score in step 1. For Ck i am focusing on uworld making notes and all that. I am hoping to cross 255 atleast. Any suggestion what should i be focusing on? what helped you in going 10 points higher in CK?

NBME 7
UWSA

Actual step 2 CK- Mid 250s. My final score turned out to be the average of UWSA and NBME 7

As I mentioned before the style of questions/difficulty level was close to NBME 7. Even after calming down and thinking about this exam for 3 whole weeks, I can assure you the exam is harder than Uworld or UWSA. Obviously I don't understand how the scoring works on the actual exam because of the curve but the NBME and UWSA are almost spot on.
Uworld alone is not enough in my opinion if you want to score > 250, you can rest assured that it will get you > 240 if you understand main concepts. Sure it's possible that you can do well with only Uworld but you should add another book to play it off safe and my preference was MTB. I thought MTB was much more to the point than First aid for step 2 CK (abandoned it after 1 week of use)

In summary I pretty much only did Uworld, MTB 2 (IM) and MTB 3 (everything else), First aid step 1 book for Biostats/Psych/Immunology diseases/Biochemistry diseases/Genetics.

congras dude! i remember how defeated you felt after coming out of the exam. For sure CK makes one feel defeated. I am focusing on uworld. is adding MTB worth it? or should i look at Meded? 3 weeks to go. i will be really happy if i can get into 250s.

Wow, a few friends who felt "horrible" after CK scored really, really well. Makes me feel a bit better. Bring on next Wednesday's release!!

congras dude! i remember how defeated you felt after coming out of the exam. For sure CK makes one feel defeated. I am focusing on uworld. is adding MTB worth it? or should i look at Meded? 3 weeks to go. i will be really happy if i can get into 250s.

I would pick MTB over onlinemeded especially closer to the exam. I would only watch onlinemeded videos for things you're weak on but don't spend too much time on it especially if it takes away time from MTB.

NBME 7
UWSA

congrats on your score. I was wondering what should I do in the last 10 days or so before the exam. Honestly, I don't think i will be prepared for the exam ever. After listening to all the feedback from people it seems like it keeps getting worse. I just want a 230 am not aiming for a very high score. DO you think u world and mtg would be more than enough for that? I am not a very smart person, i just work double. Also, any test taking strategies, seems like i blank out and start day dreaming mid way through the question.

Is the PDF "Free 150" the same or different than the Online version through NBME? I take Step 2 Friday and want to do the Free 150 tomorrow but I want to make sure they are the same or know which one is better to do. Thanks!

congrats on your score. I was wondering what should I do in the last 10 days or so before the exam. Honestly, I don't think i will be prepared for the exam ever. After listening to all the feedback from people it seems like it keeps getting worse. I just want a 230 am not aiming for a very high score. DO you think u world and mtg would be more than enough for that? I am not a very smart person, i just work double. Also, any test taking strategies, seems like i blank out and start day dreaming mid way through the question.

Uworld and MTB is definitely more than enough to get > 230. I would say that read MTB 1x this last week and then spend 2-3 days quickly glancing at Uworld objectives and tables. That's mainly what I did the last week.

D.O. Student who sat for Step 2 on June 24th and just got my scores back today:

Step 1: 250
NBME7: 250 (~2 weeks before)
NMBE6: 271 (~1 week before)
UWSA: 264 (2 days before)
UW: ~88-90% second pass (completed ~3/4 on my second time through)

Step 2 CK: 264

I studied ~6 months for Step 1 which turned out to be a huge help by giving me a solid knowledge base to go off of. Throughout my third year, I studied pretty consistently for all of my rotations and preparing for shelf exams. I usually stuck to one review book + UWorld for each rotation, with a good amount of UpToDate and Wikipedia thrown into the mix. I annotated the UWorld notes into Step Up to Medicine for IM & the respective First Aid Step 2 chapters for all the other rotations (but I did not use FA2 during the rotations, I just wanted to compile all the notes into one place so I could review them before Step 2). I studied for 3 weeks at the end of third year prior to sitting for the exam. I ended up barely reviewing my old notes and just stuck with redoing UWorld during this time. I also read about 1/2 of Step 2 Secrets during the 3 weeks leading up to the exam.

After the exam I felt pretty horrible. I felt like there was a ton of questions that were much more subjective rather than objective and that didn't have any real way to be prepared for. However, for the questions that weren't off-the-wall, UWorld definitely did the trick. All I can say is that regardless of how crappy you feel walking out and how much weirder you thought the exam was compared to the NBMEs & UWSA, just trust your scores and don't stress yourself out. I was definitely pleasantly surprised when I got my score and enormously relieved.

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back or getting ready to take the exam

Last edited:
Just took this b**ch today. I feel a lot more at ease than I did leaving Step 1, but taking a test for 9 hour still wears you out.

All in all I don't feel terrible. A lot of people freaked me out about question stems, like they were going to be a mini novel. I don't know what UWorld questions you all did, but I thought the question stems today were quite similar to UWorld. Lot of extraneous stuff, that, if you've done all of your UWorld questions, you will know how to sift through (ex. every baby has a heart murmur -- it usually doesn't matter).

Everybody's exam will be different, but I felt like I had A LOT of adrenal & renal questions. It actually started to get kind of demoralizing, because I don't enjoy those questions and I probably had 4-5/ block it felt like. Good amount of stats questions, evenly split between calculating NNTs and what not, and also picking through a theoretical study and figuring out what it's weakness is. Also had a lot of heart sound questions, but I thought they were all quite easy. For some reason I probably had 5 questions revolving around a marfanoid kid with AR. Thankfully I didn't have a single Drug Ad question, but did have 2-3 research studies that fed into 3-5 questions each. My advice for any of those big time sinks is to skip them until the end, and at least for the research study questions, read all of the questions before you go digging through the actual research -- everything I needed was in the results section in mine, and the intro, methods, and discussion are just there to distract you.

I took the UWSA probably 1.5 months ago ago and got a 255. Took my school's NBME practice test and got a 98 (which I believe correlates to 260+). I'll make sure to post back here when I get my score.

My biggest piece of advice is to relax, and take your breaks. Most people don't know that you can go outside during a break; I went outside and ate my lunch for 20 minutes and it really helps clear your mind.

Scores came back today and I scored an even 260, which is right around where I felt I'd be. Given that I took the UWSA weeks before the real thing, and I certainly learned a lot between those, the UWSA probably wasn't accurate for me, but I don't think it was too far off either -- maybe 10 points or so.

I didn't take any NBME's besides the one my school provided me, so I can't comment on that.

Scores came back today. DO student.

Study period = 2 months of easy rotations. So had around 8 hours of studying daily.
Study materials = Uworld, read some Step up to Step 2
Uworld Avg once through timed random = 84%
Took UWSA about 10 days out = 263
Real Deal = 275

For reference 260+ on step 1.

Comments: Just make sure you hit Uworld once through and learn it well. No books is really all that great for this test. Lots of random stuff on the real thing, but uworld on timed random and reading the explanations is the single best resource. Step up to Step 2 was a waste of time. Trust your UWSA, by far the most accurate predictor. I did a pretty comprehensive search on these forums and most people scored above or within 2-3 pts of their UWSA scores.

Good luck!

Got my score today- 248, up 30+ points from my Step 1 score. Very happy and hoping that this along with strong clinical grades will give me a shot at some ACGME residencies.

NBME 4 (three weeks out)- 240
UWSA (one week out) -240 but started slow and lost a lot of points on the first section so this could easily have been around 250.

Good luck to everyone still waiting for scores.

Step 1: 241

Had two months of medicine my last block, reviewed old OB/GYN, Psych, Neuro, Peds material during my off weekends. Watched all the medicine MedEdOnline videos and reviewed select old ones. Then studied for one week mostly doing NBME practice exams, going over old NBME exams, and doing UWorld. Read a little bit over Step 2 Secrets and Step Up to 2CK, they are okay.

UWSA: 4/27 - 590/238
Form 4: 6/20 - 530/244
Form 7: 6/22- 500/237
Form 6: 6/28- 600/258
Free 100: 7/1 - 93%
Real Deal: 7/3- 269

I recommend this order, 4 is good to start, 6 is about right, 7 is really hard but good motivation to keep studying. A lot of the questions were beyond what is in these review books however. Try to go as in depth as you did for the subject exams. IE try to have notes from your 3rd year courses to refer to. You don't necessarily need to memorize all the details, just have to have read a fact once or twice to be able to pick it out of a multiple choice lineup.

What do I wish I did in retrospect? Watched the MedEdOnline https://onlinemeded.org/ videos before 3rd year started to have a foundation on what I need to learn and memorize and then fill in the details on rotations. Its better than having people ask you a question and having never heard of it. This site is soooo clutch. I also used an online flashcard app (Firecracker) to do a little bit of memorization a day. The premade flash cards are okay, subjects are hit or miss, but easy to add your own material and they seem to get better all the time with new updates.

UWSA (Beginning of study period): 242
Form 7: 246
Form 4: 260

UWORLD %: 79 overall

Actual: > 250

Studied for 2 weeks. Exclusively UWORLD and NBME expanded feedback, supplemented with FA for Step 2 CK for pediatrics and general overview. Actual test I honestly felt was generally not comparable to the practice exams mostly because the questions they ask are not nearly as straightforward as UWORLD or the practice tests. I thought of at least 15 questions I got flat-out wrong after my exam, so this really doesn't mean anything, its just the ones that stick with you so naturally you assume that you got every question wrong if you didn't get those ones right. Definitely missed some gimme biostats questions quite frankly because I didn't freshen up on biostats before the exam like a total noob. Overall really happy with my score considering the prep time and considering how terrible I felt after the exam.

tl;dr: At least 15+ wrong from my exam - don't let it crush your confidence; real deal was mental anguish; trust the process / practice scores

Good luck to the rest of ya

Sat for exam at the end of June with a goal of 250.

6-7 weeks of dedicated study time but had done my share of work throughout the year to prepare for shelf exams. All shelfs were >94% (curved by school- unk raw score)

Resources:
Kaplan HY videos- were great to keep me on pace and a change up from straight reading.
Followed along with MTB2. Read a little bit of MTB3, but not much.
Uworld first pass ~80%. Went through all incorrects and continued doing random blocks.
Kaplan qbank- started using it when I was getting too many Uworld repeats but found Kaplan very frustrating. Kept it to maybe one kaplan block per day, otherwise I would go crazy. I did Kaplan during the year for shelf exams but for some reason didn't find it nearly as frustrating during the year.
Read through Step Up to Medicine
Secrets during the final week

NBME 3, 1 and 4 were done offline. Scores were approximately in 240s, don't know exact because I did them offline. They were a great source for new questions. Also scored high 80s% on the free 150 a couple days before test.
Step 1- 237 Level 1- 662
Step 2- 269 Level 2- 777

After the exam I did not feel the standard "overwhelmed and run over by a bus". It was a tough exam but no surprises. The comlex on the other hand was very random and not high yield at all.

I think the keys to succeeding are putting in some hard work during the year and also giving yourself enough time to study. If you want to make big improvements I don't think 3 weeks of studying is enough. The extra studying was 100% the key to my score.

Last edited:
Score Step 2: 253
Step 1: 228
UWSA (1 week before): 252
NBME 6: (3 days before) 244

Studied some of MTB step 3 throughout 6 weeks of family med rotation, went through most of internal med but not much farther. UW was adequate in my opinion with a good representation of what was on the exam. I had a lot of psych, peds, and ob. I took UWSA 1 week before with score of 252, NBME 6 3 days before with 244. Trust your practice scores and go with your gut on the questions. A lot of them you could get down to 2 answers but then would have to guess. MTB was somewhat helpful with management, not so much with diagnosis.

I studied UW during the year with shelves and then reset 6 weeks prior to exam during easy family med block. A lot of questions require clinical judgement, and a gut feeling, don't overthink it. If you think it's the answer, it most likely is.

Took it today. Demoralized--people have said that this is normal coming out of the exam but I just can't shake the feeling. Definitely worried that I ended up making some serious errors and cannot stop thinking about the easy work-ups and gimmie questions that I missed. Actually had a thought while I was driving home from the exam about how I would have to explain my CK score during residency interviews. Sigh.

That being said, I want to do a quick write-up while the experience is still fresh in my mind. Wasn't very active on this forum but was around on the Step 1 forum last year so it's great to see familiar names.

Overall, the stems were long. Generally, they are 1.5 to 2x the length of NBME practice tests and UWorld questions. They tend to be full of extraneous information, obscure or borderline lab values, and are spaced out so that you have to keep your eye jumping around the page--you can't just glance at a few key words or values to create a differential. Being efficient at highlighting key info goes a long way--there were times when I took a look at a question I read and realized that I basically had the whole stem highlighted. That did not get me anywhere. So just don't zone out when you're reading a long stem and be mindful of what you're seeing so that you do not have to continually backtrack to the top of a question stem. I know that sounds like very simple advice but being mindful of how I needed to focus really helped me out on a few blocks (especially one where I had a nightmare drug ad).

Time is also a major issue. On most blocks, I finished with about 5-6 minutes left whereas I would have about 20-25 minutes left on UWorld, the UWSA, and NBME practice exams. Also, a lot of questions have a long list of lab values serving as distractors. Rarely, do they use a buzzword or classical finding to make a diagnosis easy for you. The main issue I had was that many questions were narrowed down to two equally valid answers and ended up vacillating between the two.

The exam was a fair balance of all subjects. I think the way that the biostats questions are presented on CK vs Step 1 makes it a subject that is important to cover, but if you are strapped for time (like I was) then it might be wise to not devote too much time to it. The way those biostats questions are written and the fact that you might be running low on time makes it easy to make simple errors. Just memorize the basic equations and I think you'll be set.

Step 1 Background: 245

Shelf Exams:

Did well during 4th year and generally read UptoDate while on rotations and did FC a few times a week to go through key concepts. Felt that FC was a good resource (especially when I was getting pimped) but questions are definitely the way to go for Step 2. I also picked up Step Up to Medicine and MTB2 but they just weren't for me, so I only referred to them if I had a specific question. Both books basically sit unused, though. Pestana's book was a good resource for surgery and I also found Blueprints to be a good FM and OBGYN resource.

Questions:

-USMLE Rx, mainly used this qbank for shelf exams. The questions highlight important concepts and the explanations are a quick, easy read. I found it very manageable during busy rotations.
-UWorld. The single best resource. I began it during my 4-5 week dedicated period and completed it 1.9x prior to the exam. I went through it slowly for the first pass (72% avg, random-timed), taking notes on questions. Then, I spent a few days slowly re-reviewing my incorrects. Afterwards, I began a second-pass and got through about 90% of the qbank (89% avg, random, tutor) before exam day.
-Kaplan. Bought this. Unecessary and only used it to go through some renal questions and remind myself of basic path. The questions are poorly written (not representative of the type you'll see on exam day). Also, the questions focus on nitty gritty details that really don't do much to further your knowledge base. It's also important to note how bad the interface is, how it seems questions are rarely updated, and how the lack of a true qbank app highlights how much this resource has been neglected by its owners and how little they value improving it. If you are going to use resources all year then you might want to do UWorld, Rx, and Kaplan, but I think that UWorld and Rx are sufficient.
-NBME Practice Exams. Again, I wasn't very active on this forum so I am not sure how the NBMEs rank and how highly they are valued compared to UWorld. I did practice exams in the following order, approximately every 5-6d during my prep and went through incorrects with another forum member--found this to be very helpful:
  • NBME 7: 248
  • NBME 6: 242
  • NBME 4: 242
  • UWSA: 262 (6d out)
  • Free 131: 87% (1d out)
I highly recommend doing all of the NBME exams. I think the concepts emphasized on these exams were representative of things on exam day. The dip in scores between NBME 7 and NBMEs 6 and 4 kind of freaked me out and motivated me to study, so just keep that in mind if your scores fluctuate.

Will share my score and add details later if I feel anything else needed to be mentioned.

Step 2 CK: High 250s.

Thrilled, especially because of how I felt when I walked out of the exam.

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to sort of contribute since I'd been silently following the thread for a while.
I was prepping for step 2 with > 250 in mind..... walked out the test hoping for a pass, and ultimately got > 250. Studied for 4 weeks. The test isn't fun and my exam did not mirror anything like UWORLD or the NBMEs. I went through all stages of grief the days following the test, just because alot of questions weren't "I feel 94% confident this is the right answer". The Nbme and uworld qs in my opinion were much more straight forward and the stems gave you all the info needed to rule in and out answer options. The exam is pretty vague and sometimes I felt I had no idea what the point of the question was but there are definitely give mes questions there too. I will say my stems were much longer than any stem I had on UWORLD or NBME but a good bit were "normal" but if you have issues with time, get that down, because it is unlikely you will have excess time on the real deal. I managed to finish most sections with 15 ish min left over to review the block again before submitting and I think that helped me feel ok with the 15qs I marked each block. I found my biostats review clutch because I had more biostats than I would have been comfortable with during step 1. Had quite a few interactive questions, had 2 articles with biostats qs

I did DIT videos on topics I wanted to cover, sorta read parts of Step Up to Medicine and parts of MTB2, and did all of UWORLD(except neuro peds and adult) with all questions typed out and explanations as well as their thought processes for answer exclusions and such. I reviewed those the week of the test and basically went thru UWORLD 2x. Had a friend come go through all the biostats questions in UWORLD with me for a day or so so I could ask plenty of stupid questions and get some easy concepts down quickly.

step 1 246
step 2 263

nbme 4 220s in march ish ( just wanted to see how bad it would be and it wasn't terrible so I put off prep)
uwsa 230s in may
CCSE comprehensive shelf > 250 late may --> school provides at the end of the year
nbme 7 221 3 weeks out from test
nbme 6 254 2 weeks out from exam

I'd like to say form 7 ripped my heart out and spat on it... I was legit depressed for a few days over it and stayed home for 5 days straight watching videos and doing questions as a direct result of how sh***y my score was on that.
I didn't do the free 150 solely because I didn't want my feelings hurt if I didn't know them. My study strategy for step 2 was not an organized one and was kind of haphazard because the resources for step 2 aren't as tried and true as they are for step 1. I dunno I'm still sort of in disbelief at my score because of how crappy I felt walking out of the exam. Nevertheless, trust your practice scores **EXCEPT NBME 7*** use it as a scaring tool if you must. I must say though the thing that must have helped me most was my studying for the shelf boards and quizzes throughout the year, because I didn't really feel like I did anything extremely substantial like I had hoped during my 4 weeks of prep. Even still if you dont do well throughout the school year if you buckle down like some of my friends have you can still do great.

is the consensus that USWA is the most accurate in predicting your score?
Just took it, felt very medicine heavy. Made a few stupid mistakes/block which is expected [just annoying]. Either way scored well.

Just took it, felt very medicine heavy. Made a few stupid mistakes/block which is expected [just annoying]. Either way scored well.
From what I have seen, it is a pretty good predictor. However I scored about 15 + points higher than mine, haven't seen very many people who scored below their UWSA

From what I have seen, it is a pretty good predictor. However I scored about 15 + points higher than mine, haven't seen very many people who scored below their UWSA
you mean real day was +15 points than uwsa?
I think I freaked out during the first block [idk...its what I do lol] and that kind of clouded my judgement on a few questions, scored OK, saw my score for the first block, got pissed then did well on the remaining blocks. But frig, I hate the word play sometimes....like just f*ck call a spade a spade instead of dancing around it.

you mean real day was +15 points than uwsa?
I think I freaked out during the first block [idk...its what I do lol] and that kind of clouded my judgement on a few questions, scored OK, saw my score for the first block, got pissed then did well on the remaining blocks. But frig, I hate the word play sometimes....like just f*ck call a spade a spade instead of dancing around it.

How was UWSA compared to regular uworld blocks and nbme 6? I am keeping it for the very last.

How was UWSA compared to regular uworld blocks and nbme 6? I am keeping it for the very last.
more medicine heavy and they sure love some topics lol. I found it mostly straight forward with a few wtf moments lol [like either you knew it or just had to guess]. All fair questions tho!
Nbmes in general are usually 1st order/straight to the point, if not there is some lame trick in their. I found with uwsa, the wording was a little tricky and some of the answer choices were the BEST out of the bunch while NMBE is like "ya its C 100%".

UWSA is +/- 10 in my opinion. I scored > 5 points below my UWSA score on the real deal.

ehhhh right on average.. did not know Step 2 ck average was 240. oh well I am still alive, my daughter is growing fine. hahaha
Step 1 249.

UWSA: 242
other NBME ~220-230s
NBME7: 218?...make sure you take this one earlier rather than later.

I got a 247 on Step 1. I took UWSA about a week ago and it predicted a 236 for Step 2 for me. :( Not gonna lie I fell asleep during the self-assessment haha and missed at least 2 questions because of that. But still, I'm worried that it predicted that... I have 2 weeks until my exam and around 15% of UWorld left (first pass). Was planning on just finishing UWorld and repeating a few marked questions if I have time and then taking an NBME at least a week out. What do you guys think? Anyone have any other suggestions/advice on how I can improve?

Last edited:
Took Step 2ck yesterday. Last block only had 20 questions. The stems weren't any longer and it wasnt any more difficult than the previous 7 blocks. Has anyone heard of this before?

Took Step 2ck yesterday. Last block only had 20 questions. The stems weren't any longer and it wasnt any more difficult than the previous 7 blocks. Has anyone heard of this before?
a poster had the same thing happen, check 2-3 pgs back.....quite odd?
Maybe you guys were just killing the test, the program said "Iam wasting this persons time" so it only gave you guys 20 questions :D lol

a poster had the same thing happen, check 2-3 pgs back.....quite odd?
Maybe you guys were just killing the test, the program said "Iam wasting this persons time" so it only gave you guys 20 questions :D lol

Ha! Thanks! I feel a lot better now. I emailed the usmle about it yesterday. It seems unfair for everyone who has to answer an extra 24 questions. But hey, I'm not complaining.

Muenchen... first of all I like your nickname!
Yes several of my friends only had 22 qs on their last block.

How was the exam in general? Just compared to UWSA/Uworld/NBME/CMS... etc.
I am 6 days out and getting heavily anxious.

I feel not to remember anything, and didn't really come across a lot of drug side effect questions on any assessment...

Muenchen... first of all I like your nickname!
Yes several of my friends only had 22 qs on their last block.

How was the exam in general? Just compared to UWSA/Uworld/NBME/CMS... etc.
I am 6 days out and getting heavily anxious.

I feel not to remember anything, and didn't really come across a lot of drug side effect questions on any assessment...

I really didn't think it was bad at all, but my feelings towards a test don't usually reflect my performance (Realizing this has really helped my post test-anxiety significantly, btw). I think it was very similar to NBME 6 in difficulty, which is a bit concerning, because the curve was kind of ridiculous in my opinion. I had one research article, and no drug ads. The length of the question stems was ok, maybe a bit on the longer side of UWorld, but nothing too concerning.

As far as questions go, I had sooooo many questions on shortness of breath, I felt like at least 7-10 questions on each block started with SOB or chest pain. There were several questions (maybe 20%) that were pretty easy, so easy that it took me a few minutes to re-read the questions and make sure I wasn't missing something. There were also a lot of questions where the answer choices themselves gave you the right answer (aka, it was obvious that B, C and D weren't right, so it had to be A). I also had about 2 biostats questions in each section (know NNT calculation, and what test for comparison of means etc. )

As far as drug side effects, the only ones I can think of right now were agranulocytosis caused by Methimazole and of course Risperidone and gynecomastia (told you they were easy...)

Don't stress about this test too much. I found it significantly easier than step 1. I studied for 2.5 weeks. Only did UWorld and a few NBME's and UWSA. And despite what everyone else says, don't overthink your scores on the practice exams and use them as learning experiences. I am an average students and my scores fluctuated between 206 and 248 in those 2 weeks. Pretty disheartening at times....

GOOD LUCK AND YOU GOT THIS!