USMLE - Official 2015 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WBecks0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With 2015 right around the corner I think it's a good time to begin a Step 2 CK experiences and scores thread for 2015. Let's keep the all experiences and scores in this thread.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2015!

Members don't see this ad.

Perused through the thread somewhat, so 7 seems to be the hardest, huh? Thought it was pretty difficult compared to the others. 267. Great score, but a decent decline from my last NBME. Hope this is my floor.

Took it. Probably the most challenging exam I have taken in my life. It was like form 7 and uwsa on steroids and cocaine. Marked at least 10-12 per block. Awful feeling. Anyone else have simillar feelings?

Took it. Probably the most challenging exam I have taken in my life. It was like form 7 and uwsa on steroids and cocaine. Marked at least 10-12 per block. Awful feeling. Anyone else have simillar feelings?

I had the same exact feeling after the exam but scored reasonably close to my practice exams so believe in your prep.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took it today. Feel like crap. There were so many questions where I thought I knew exactly what was going on, then I look at the answer choices and either none of them seem right or a few of them do. I feel like there is waaay more ambiguity in the real thing than there is on Uworld. Ugh.

Trust your NBME averages guys. Simple as that. Sure there is some people that drop significantly below, but those are outliers. The majority of people that have shared their scores with me all either improved upon their averages or were spot on.

Yeah spare yourself the weeks of anxiety, it'll work out. I thought of AT LEAST 15 I got wrong after the test, if not probably more and it went well. Seriously enjoy the summer, it'll be within your averages

Yeah spare yourself the weeks of anxiety, it'll work out. I thought of AT LEAST 15 I got wrong after the test, if not probably more and it went well. Seriously enjoy the summer, it'll be within your averages

Only 15 wrong is like missing 1-2 per section for an 8 section test. That's pretty damn good.

Took it today, walked out feeling like it wasn't that bad but estimating I got 6-7 wrong per section, so maybe I did much worse than I think :/

Only 15 wrong is like missing 1-2 per section for an 8 section test. That's pretty damn good.

Took it today, walked out feeling like it wasn't that bad but estimating I got 6-7 wrong per section, so maybe I did much worse than I think :/
I can guarantee I missed more than 2 per section. Absolutely guarantee lol otherwise I would have prob scored in the 280's+ (not the case)

For more perspective, I missed several of the two part questions, I totally botched biostatistics cuz I didn't study it well enough, I marked easily 15 per section, and felt like I was choosing between 2 or even 3 answers that at times seemed unrelated to the stem. I felt like garbage and it went well. Just hang in there, trust the practice scores!

For Step 1, I used the tutorial time to write down some biostats formulas to reduce anxiety cuz i suck at it and know i blank with that topic in particular ....can anyone who took it comment if doing this takes away from your overall break time (6omin). From what I remember from step 1 the tutorial time was separate but can't tell if the same is true for step 2...thanks!

For Step 1, I used the tutorial time to write down some biostats formulas to reduce anxiety cuz i suck at it and know i blank with that topic in particular ....can anyone who took it comment if doing this takes away from your overall break time (6omin). From what I remember from step 1 the tutorial time was separate but can't tell if the same is true for step 2...thanks!
Whatever time you have left over from the tutorial gets added to your break time just like step 1

Reactions: 1 user
Took it today. 1 block of 42 qs (this one had the abstract) and the last block 35 qs .
As many have said before the questions were long (very long, like "scroll down to see the answers"). A few questions were you could get the answer right away. My test was heavy on pediatrics but I think the rest was well balanced. A few EKGs, 2-3 questions with heart sounds. At least 30-40 questions had images (skin lesions, CT, X-ray, MRI etc.)
Blocks 7,8 and 9 (yes, the 35 questions block barely finished on time) were like a punch to my face with hard long questions.
Definitely harder than UWSA, questions were not as straightforward as in UWSA. Hopefully it won't be that bad as I am feeling right now.
Uworld's tables and management algorithms are gold.

Overall finished each block 1-2 min before time was over so if you are tight doing Uworld start working on that.

Good luck for the rest of you preparing for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Trust your uwsa. Don't freak out. Most ppl score better than uwsa or within 3 or 4 pts. Remember test day anxiety and experimental questions can really screw with your head.

Reactions: 1 users
Checked a few hours ago, permit was still there. Checked again just now (past 12am eastern) and now it's gone.... Fingers crossed

Hey guys! Recently got my scores back after taking the test in July. This thread has helped me so much the last few month and wanted to share my experience with you all.

Step 1: 247
UWorld Qbank: 79% second time through, timed, random
NBME 4 (3 weeks out): 250
Uworld Assessment (2 weeks out): 248
NBME 7 (this one blew..1 week out): 237
NBME 6 (2 days before): 257
Free 130 (1 day before): 90%
Actual Step 2 CK: 262 !!!!

The test itself wasn't as bad as I had imagined. A LOT of fluid questions. I found myself calculating the BUN/Cr ratio about 10 times. Lots of OB/GYN, GI, and Pulm. Barely any ethics or stats in my case.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys! Recently got my scores back after taking the test in July. This thread has helped me so much the last few month and wanted to share my experience with you all.

Step 1: 247
UWorld Qbank: 79% second time through, timed, random
NBME 4 (3 weeks out): 250
Uworld Assessment (2 weeks out): 248
NBME 7 (this one blew..1 week out): 237
NBME 6 (2 days before): 257
Free 130 (1 day before): 90%
Actual Step 2 CK: 262 !!!!

The test itself wasn't as bad as I had imagined. A LOT of fluid questions. I found myself calculating the BUN/Cr ratio about 10 times. Lots of OB/GYN, GI, and Pulm. Barely any ethics or stats in my case.
Thanks for the write up and congrats on your score!! How did you study for it and for how many weeks/hours per day?

Last edited:
I realize the bulletin says no scores till Sept 16th if you took the test after 7/10, but have they ever released scores early when posting such bulletins in the past? Also, does that mean we can choose whether or not to release our Step 2 score since ERAS is transmitted on Sept 15th?

I realize the bulletin says no scores till Sept 16th if you took the test after 7/10, but have they ever released scores early when posting such bulletins in the past? Also, does that mean we can choose whether or not to release our Step 2 score since ERAS is transmitted on Sept 15th?
you can always wait a day to get your score than submit ERAS. Every PD I talked to said they start reviewing apps beginning of oct.

Took the exam on July 22nd.

Step 1: 255
NBME 4 - 1 month out (first day of dedicated studying): 240
UWSA - 3 weeks out: 264
NBME 6 - 2 weeks out: 260
NBME 7 - 1 week out: 258
Free 133/150/whatever - 4 days out: 93%
UWorld (2nd run through, random timed blocks of 44): 89%

Study regimen
Essentially I feel what helped a lot was studying very diligently for Step 1, as well as studying diligently for my shelf exams during 3rd year. I felt this gave me a good foundation going in to dedicated studying where I wasn't starting from square 1, but more so refreshing and able to focus on weak spots from day 1. NBME4 proved that fact to me, that studying well during the year would really pay off, I didn't believe it until I took this exam before even cracking open a book. Felt good, and started from there.

The sources I used were:
  • MTB2: I read this probably 2 times cover to cover, and blew through the cardio section the day before the exam. I liked it. Not as good as First Aid for step 1, but the closest thing I found honestly in regards to a "Bible". I felt confident trusting this resource.
  • Online MedEd: I hate to spill the beans on this but I thought this was a phenomenal resource. Where other books (looking at you Step Up to Medicine) simply outline test options and treatment options, MedEd really provides the algorithms and trees you need to know. I felt like I got about 5 questions right on the exam about simple diagnostic decisions simply from here. I paid for the subscription, printed out all the notes, read them along with the videos on 2x speed, and then re read the pages with algorithms in the week leading up once again. I have a warning that some of the notes and videos do have minor errors and some outdated facts strewn about, but the general concepts remain true. I NEVER understood the breast lump/breast imaging algorithm until MedEd, same with thyroid nodule, and solitary pulmonary lesion. Also the endocrine work ups! Bone age, MRI, GnRH.... invaluable. Totally. I feel like once they refine this and really get well noticed it will be the "Pathoma" for Step 2.
  • MTB3: I just read this cover to cover once for completeness sake out of neuroticism. Not sure if it helped, but didn't hurt. Just ran out of things to study.
  • Anki: I made my own cards as I came across facts and rote memorization pearls in my day to day studying. Started off every morning with this to warm up.
  • UWorld: Of course. Completed a run through during 3rd year studying for shelf exams. Then reset it my first day of dedicated studying. I only did random timed full blocks 2 a day, 3 a day when test was getting closer, then finished my incorrects a few days before. Was hitting ~85-92%... with a highest of 100% and a lowest of 66% (like one week out - lmao - blamed it on being distracted). I would rewrite learning objectives and anything I wasn't totally confident in, and reviewed this stack of notes (printed out about 25 pages front and back) twice in the week before. Had charts in it as well.
  • UWorld stats: just blew through it once
  • Kaplan QBank: I did this during the year just whenever I felt like it, and also to study for shelf exams. Never revisited it again once I was done, but I kept a word document like for UWorld of learning objectives and facts I didn't know. About 20 pages front and back. Read it once the week before then tossed it out
  • Refreshed some basic concepts in First Aid for Step 1, and a few Pathoma pages here and there
  • UpToDate: Like Phloston recommended, I didn't go too hardcore on this, but would look up some stuff, print it out, and review it time to time, had about 10 pages front and back.
  • And honestly other than that, any time I came across a distractor I didn't know, or a word I didn't know, or anything, I would just wikipedia it.
Sources I did NOT use:
  • Step 2 Secrets: I thought it was awful. Type is way too small. Doesn't flow at all. It hurt my head reading it and it had no flow of concepts to it or anything. Just "If A --> B" ... "In disease X --> This happens". Read about 100 pages of it and stopped.
  • Step up to Step 2 CK: Joke of a book. Bought it, opened it up, and put it in my closet.
  • Step up to Medicine: Carried it with me as like a text book to look things up but I would highly discourage from reading this cover to cover. Too dense.

I felt pretty confident going in to the exam. Nothing like Step 1. I had trusted my preparation, and wasn't too worried about it. Had heard it was going to be long and I was ready.

Actual exam experience:

Was a grab bag of sorts. Like most people had said, there were some extremely long vignettes, scrolling down just to see the answer choices. Lots of labs, mainly used as distractors I think. I read the last line of the question, highlighted it, and then went to the beginning and started from there. I feel like the questions where the vignette wasn't related, and you could read the last line and answer it and move on saved me valuable time. Even some where the line was asking for a mechanism of disease, or a specific gene or something, I could read the last line, then go back and get the feel of what the patient had, then answer and move on. If I had read the 15 lines of the presentation paying meticulous amount of detail to everything, would get weighed down so easily. I feel like this helped.

So yeah vignettes are long here and there, would finish a block with about 5 minutes left, would go back and click through everything and maybe sit on one question I was really waffling on. That was about it. Heard friends who were finishing with seconds left, so at least I wasn't in that boat.

I felt the content was VERY very fair. Each block had your gimme's, had a question on treatment for an opportunistic disease we ALL know the treatment for, and took a double take, thinking that it felt too good to be true. Had your typical SOB/chest pain/crackles questions that were pretty murky to figure out what was going on. Your weird ethics questions. And then your crazy obscure minutiae questions. Had some enzyme questions and some tumor staining questions, and some genetics questions that I've never even thought of.

No drug ads. Probably about 6 abstract questions, good amount of biostats. 3 multimedia questions - all very easy. Lots of images.

Mine was VERY psych heavy. VERY. Not even joking, my first 6 questions were all psychiatry. I laughed out loud, it was crazy. And my second question was a diagnosis question I mess up EVERY time and am pretty sure I got it wrong. The name and subset has changed and no source is clear on what it falls under, thought for sure it wouldn't pop up, and there it was, staring me in the face.

Also the 2 part questions where you have to lock in your answer before moving on. I think I missed about 5/6 of these. They were extremely hard and difficult and I think they just put them in there with that difficulty to fluster you up. Many people I've talked to have missed a bunch of these. The presenting illness was usually nothing I've ever heard of, or a workup I've never considered.

Another frustrating thing was I had a LOT of double jeopardy. Had one weird illness pop up in 2 separate blocks, same thing with another, and biostats asked me for the same calculation about 2 or 3 times.

Another thing I felt was being harped on was alternative treatments, for example, not a question I had but how it would go: Patient X has Gonorrhea, but is allergic to cephalosporins, what do you treat with. Had about 3 or 4 questions like this where the patient couldn't tolerate primary therapy from what you would read in the stem, or it wasn't listed, so you had to know what was next best.

Took a break after every two blocks. Skipped the tutorial. Didn't write down anything on my sheet before hand, it wouldn't have helped. Had no questions on P450 stuff or QT prolongation or anything like that. So glad I didn't even bother. I used all of my break time too honestly.

I left the test feeling not too bad. Just tired and drained. Went home. I've remembered about 160 questions I had... and am 100% I've gotten 13 wrong, and another 20 or so I can't really tell.

All in all I feel confident. Just trust your prep. Manage your time wisely. And get a good nights sleep.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
you can always wait a day to get your score than submit ERAS. Every PD I talked to said they start reviewing apps beginning of oct.

Oh should've clarified, I was more asking so that I could view my score before it gets automatically sent.

I got a 247 on Step 1. I took UWSA about a week ago and it predicted a 236 for Step 2 for me. :( Not gonna lie I fell asleep during the self-assessment haha and missed at least 2 questions because of that. But still, I'm worried that it predicted that... I have 2 weeks until my exam and around 15% of UWorld left (first pass). Was planning on just finishing UWorld and repeating a few marked questions if I have time and then taking an NBME at least a week out. What do you guys think? Anyone have any other suggestions/advice on how I can improve?

I almost tied your score on step 1. I took UWSA about 3 days before my exam and it predicted 246. I ended up with a 257. I know people say UWSA is the best predictor, but I think a lot of its predictive power is dependent on you being in a good mindset in a quiet place. I only used UWorld for prep (I kinda used Master the Boards, but only to supplement weak subjects). I guess what I'm saying is that I was pretty stressed about my UWSA score too, but I just took it with a grain of salt and did my best to remain nice and relaxed on test day. Just relax and go with it. This test matters very little in the grand scheme of things.

I think the UWSA is a reassuring test in that MOST people do the same or better than their UWSA score. At least according to sdn.

If I were you, I will take it easy and rest! The exam is long and you will get exhausted, so rest is very important!

Take the test tomorrow morning.
What does everyone do the day before the test?
Thanks for your input
I reviewed notes for a half day, then just relaxed. As the person above said it's a long test, you'll need your rest so try to relax

Review something but make sure you leave a few hours before bed to just relax. Make sure you get good sleep, I know this can be hard, but god I didn't do it for the comlex and it sucked! When I took the USMLE I got good sleep and it was a night and day difference.

Agreed!! Planned for a few days for step 1 how I was going to be able to sleep. Glad I did! For step 2 ck... Whole different story. This is a longer test that in my opinion requires more analysis and data integration. Sleeping well will definitely help you! Good luck in your test!

Anyone expecting the results tomorrow ... I mean today after 6 hours???
I am freaking out .. I'll try to have a bit of sleep, but I don't think that I would really fall asleep tonight
see you in few hours ..
Best of luck everybody

Anyone expecting the results tomorrow ... I mean today after 6 hours???
I am freaking out .. I'll try to have a bit of sleep, but I don't think that I would really fall asleep tonight
see you in few hours ..
Best of luck everybody

In the same boat. Gonna be a long morning in clinic. Plan on self medicating with lots of EtOH tonight regardless the outcome. Godspeed everyone.

In the same boat. Gonna be a long morning in clinic. Plan on self medicating with lots of EtOH tonight regardless the outcome. Godspeed everyone.

Rounds will tougher than ever today! I will keep you guys posted if I get any notification! Good luck!

Just got my results 211

I am not happy with the result but at the same time happy that I passed... usmle just has been way too prolonged for me. By the way I am an IMG.
Studied about 10hr/day for atleast a month but whole prep was 2 months
My uworld avg was 65%
didn't do any NMBEs or the uworld exam even though i had the subscription... that was really dumb
I just didn't wanna demotivate myself
The questions that I saw on the real exam were much longer than uworld.

Prep was just DIT and Uworld.
Made notes from uworld(97%), went through some of my notes but not all. basically just listened to the notes during drives or before sleep.
Just kept making sure I knew everything in the study guide and did heart sounds in youtube.

I figured there were no barely passing scores, so here you go.

What I did wrong: should have done the nbmes atleast 2 then maybe I wouldn't have been flustered on the real deal with those long cases+ should have done uworld twice not once.

hope it helps someone.

Reactions: 2 users
That was the hardest test I've ever taken in my life.

I got a 259 on step 1 and didn't think it was TOO bad.

I did fairly well on my shelf exams throughout the year, got several honors.

For my prep I used DIT, UWorld, up to date, and master the wards.

Nbme 3 258
Nbme 4 273
Nbme 6 275
Nbme 7 258
88% on UWorld

I don't know what the hell I would have done differently other than memorize every practice guideline and algorithm put out by every specialist society in America. Just f*** that test seriously. Good luck everyone, you're going to need it.

It was loaded with best next step with no obvious best next step. The presentations were either too vague to narrow or too broad to narrow. There was bizzare opinion-based questions on medical error and quality improvement. The whole thing felt mean spirited and like it was trying to push an agenda. I feel like I just pissed away all my life's hard work and future on one exam.

Wound up with a 269.

Trust your prep.

Did the people who got their results receive an email? My permit is gone but I haven't heard anything yet.

Thought I'd share, as this has helped me prepare. I felt absolutely terrible for the entire exam - I was barely finishing every block, was tired, and really thought I bombed this test. Like everyone has said, "trust your scores" from practice. Held true for me.
Got scores today. 4-5 weeks of prep, but only used about 3-4 weeks. Same score as step 1 - low 250's. UWorld average was 74 or 75%. UWSA overpredicted by 3 points 4 days before the test. No NBMEs for step 2. Didn't finish UWorld (had about 100 left), reread step up to medicine, read everything but medicine in MTB2, reread pestanas, used FA for step 1 for stats and psych. Did decent during 3rd year. I would have probably just done more UWorld if I had redone this, but had some personal issues during my prep that hindered me from finishing and redoing UWorld like I had planned. Hope this helps someone out.

Just got my score....first, some background.

I scored in the mid-240s on step 1. During third year, I was usually in the mid-80s on the shelf exams with a few in the low 90s.

I started doing questions about two months before the test. However, it wasn't until about three weeks before my test that I started doing more than 20 questions or so per day. My prep consisted of UWorld, UWorld, and UWorld. Oh, and one NBME (I didn't want to take any more because I scored well and didn't want to freak myself out by scoring lower). On UWorld, I was consistently scoring high-70s and low-80s on full blocks in tutor mode. I took notes on all of the questions, regardless of whether or not I got them incorrect. I took NBME 6 about two weeks before the test and scored 265.

On test day, I had mixed feelings. Some of it seemed very easy (almost too good to be true) while other blocks made me think that I had mistakenly been given the wrong test. I left the center feeling completely drained, and somewhat sad. I also worried that my skimpy prep of UWorld and one NBME was not nearly enough, as a lot of people on SDN rattle off a ton of "MUST READ/TAKE" prep materials.

Step 2 CK score: 261

While it is lower than my practice test, which I had taken two weeks before the exam, I am still very happy.

My advice: trust yourself. Stay calm. Whether you realize it or not, you have learned everything that is being tested within the last twelve or so months.

Hope this helps at least one person. Good luck to all who are waiting on their scores/haven't taken the test yet.