USMLE - Official 2015 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WBecks0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With 2015 right around the corner I think it's a good time to begin a Step 2 CK experiences and scores thread for 2015. Let's keep the all experiences and scores in this thread.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2015!

Members don't see this ad.

Took it July 23 with last block of 20q. Permit still there, guess we're due for a delay but hopefully it comes before Sept 16 for ERAS purposes

Based on what the advisors at my school told us, not getting your score until the 16th actually puts you in a really good spot. You can submit on the 15th, view your score on the 16th and then selectively decide who to send it out to.

Based on what the advisors at my school told us, not getting your score until the 16th actually puts you in a really good spot. You can submit on the 15th, view your score on the 16th and then selectively decide who to send it out to.
True! It's just hard waiting and not knowing though!

Members don't see this ad :)
I tested on July 23rd and I just got an email that my score would be available after 11:00 am ET this morning!

Reactions: 1 user
Interesting how some people who took the exam in the same week are getting scores within 3 weeks and others are still unavailable.

So are you saying to tell ERAS to allow NBME to transmit scores now with just Step 1? What happens when step 2 scores come in? Do they automatically get updated or do you have to resubmit a request for ERAS to get a USMLE transcript from NBME?

I want someone else to confirm they got scores. My good friend took it the 23rd with all normal blocks and didn't get her score today. So I'm skeptical any were actually released today with only n=1.

I took CK on 7/20 and got my score today. 268

US MD. Took it during my first block of 4th year while on a very easy elective. 3 weeks of studying.
My shelf grades were usually high 80s - low 90s. I did 100% of uworld during 3rd year for shelf study.

During my 3 weeks I re-did ~80% of uworld random all subjects and scored ~88%. Two weeks out I took UWSA and got 90% (265+). One week out I took the free 150 and got 87%. I referred back to my old FA Step 1 for reference periodically, esp for pharm. That's it. No NBMEs (IMO a huge time sink... why pay money for something without answers / explanations?), no new books. I definitely think uworld was good preparation for the length of question stems on the real thing. Key is to become good at quickly skimming the stems and picking out what is important to keep pace with the clock, which I felt improved after doing a lot of 44 question blocks.

TLDR if you shelf scores were consistently good there's no need to kill yourself studying for CK. 3 wks of moderate intensity uworld is enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took CK on 7/20 and got my score today. 268

US MD. Took it during my first block of 4th year while on a very easy elective. 3 weeks of studying.
My shelf grades were usually high 80s - low 90s. I did 100% of uworld during 3rd year for shelf study.

During my 3 weeks I re-did ~80% of uworld random all subjects and scored ~88%. Two weeks out I took UWSA and got 90% (265+). One week out I took the free 150 and got 87%. I referred back to my old FA Step 1 for reference periodically, esp for pharm. That's it. No NBMEs (IMO a huge time sink... why pay money for something without answers / explanations?), no new books. I definitely think uworld was good preparation for the length of question stems on the real thing. Key is to become good at quickly skimming the stems and picking out what is important to keep pace with the clock, which I felt improved after doing a lot of 44 question blocks.

TLDR if you shelf scores were consistently good there's no need to kill yourself studying for CK. 3 wks of moderate intensity uworld is enough.

Any weird blocks for you?

So are you saying to tell ERAS to allow NBME to transmit scores now with just Step 1? What happens when step 2 scores come in? Do they automatically get updated or do you have to resubmit a request for ERAS to get a USMLE transcript from NBME?

As I understand it, when you submit on Sept. 15 the only score that will go out is Step 1 because your Step 2 will not have been released yet. When your Step 2 score comes out on the 16th, you can then resubmit your ERAS app and (I believe) select who sees your Step 2 score.

For the people with the weird shorter blocks, were the questions harder and just longer? Also, if you've gotten your score back and you had a weird block, is there anything completely unexpected as far as your score goes?

For the people with the weird shorter blocks, were the questions harder and just longer? Also, if you've gotten your score back and you had a weird block, is there anything completely unexpected as far as your score goes?
Nope, same difficulty, no impact on score. The test is a fixed amount of questions long, so its just the way the test is broken up for the sake of having breaks.

I've heard of globally having a score delay but has there ever been a time where they selectively delayed scores like this?

As I understand it, when you submit on Sept. 15 the only score that will go out is Step 1 because your Step 2 will not have been released yet. When your Step 2 score comes out on the 16th, you can then resubmit your ERAS app and (I believe) select who sees your Step 2 score.
Sending out Step 2CK scores is an all or none event. To the best of my knowledge you cannot select which programs to send it to.
Nope, same difficulty, no impact on score. The test is a fixed amount of questions long, so its just the way the test is broken up for the sake of having breaks.
The test is not a fixed amount of questions. The only thing that is fixed is the amount of time for each block, 60 minutes. I had 6 blocks of 44, 1 block of 42, and the last block was 32- which imo was more challenging than the other blocks. I am not a slow test taker and had no time issues with the exam, however, that last block took me the full time. Perhaps I paced myself differently, but if so it wasn't consciously.

Sending out Step 2CK scores is an all or none event. To the best of my knowledge you cannot select which programs to send it to.

The test is not a fixed amount of questions. The only thing that is fixed is the amount of time for each block, 60 minutes. I had 6 blocks of 44, 1 block of 42, and the last block was 32- which imo was more challenging than the other blocks. I am not a slow test taker and had no time issues with the exam, however, that last block took me the full time. Perhaps I paced myself differently, but if so it wasn't consciously.

Have you had a score delay as well?

I have been going through all the mistakes post exam. I can't believe I missed so many easy questions. I can think of 20 for sure and they were such easy ones. With each passing day I keep thinking more and more about how doable the test was and how I messed up!! The biggest worry, the exam was doable and everyone probably the questions right and I messed up. The curve will be insane. The funny thing, post the exam I was like, oh ok, maybe I did ok and now I feel doomed. :(

I have been going through all the mistakes post exam. I can't believe I missed so many easy questions. I can think of 20 for sure and they were such easy ones. With each passing day I keep thinking more and more about how doable the test was and how I messed up!! The biggest worry, the exam was doable and everyone probably the questions right and I messed up. The curve will be insane. The funny thing, post the exam I was like, oh ok, maybe I did ok and now I feel doomed. :(
I feel the same! Do you think the curve will be "insane" in a good way or bad?

I feel the same! Do you think the curve will be "insane" in a good way or bad?

Honestly, I have no idea how the exam is graded. But, the tougher the exam the more likely everyone did bad so hence everyone gets a decent score. The easier the exam. Every one did good, hence less likely to get a good score with an average performance. dont know if that makes sense. Trust me, at this stage I just want to see PASS!

Guys need some advice. I'm an IMG(2014 grad). I just gave nbme 7 and got 233. What is the predictability ? I still have to review it. I had given nbme 6 a month back and had a 242. My exam is in 9 days. I'm distraught. My Target ck score is 255+. I'm applying this season(already got my ERAS token).
Confused should I stick to my exam date(& get results by sep 16) or push my exam to get my results by max sep end ?

Can anyone help? Does UWSA give right answers for wrong ones and have explanations?
Thanks in advance.

same thing man, EASY EASY EASY questions that I missed for no good reason.....hope the curve is generous!

Guys need some advice. I'm an IMG(2014 grad). I just gave nbme 7 and got 233. What is the predictability ? I still have to review it. I had given nbme 6 a month back and had a 242. My exam is in 9 days. I'm distraught. My Target ck score is 255+. I'm applying this season(already got my ERAS token).
Confused should I stick to my exam date(& get results by sep 16) or push my exam to get my results by max sep end ?
NBME 7 has been killing most people and many have gotten scores much lower than any of their other prep exams. If you've gotten through all your uworld and stayed true to your study plan you're likely fine. Nobody can tell you exactly what your score will be. You can try another nbme if you absolutely need a confidence booster.

IMO getting your app out early with scores will be more advantageous.

Permit isn't available. First time I've checked so not sure how long it's been gone. This Wednesday will be the 3rd Wednesday after my exam. Guess we'll see if the score delay is real or not. Fwiw, I had the "traditional" exam with all 44q sections and one 42q.

Is just the permit gone? or the entire link? On mine the link is still there with the error message and this week will be the 4th Wed. All traditional sections also...

Permit isn't available. First time I've checked so not sure how long it's been gone. This Wednesday will be the 3rd Wednesday after my exam. Guess we'll see if the score delay is real or not. Fwiw, I had the "traditional" exam with all 44q sections and one 42q.

I got an error when I clicked on my permit link also and it is still "clickable" ...This would also be the third Wednesday after the exam for me and I had the same 44/42 breakdown. I guess if the link is gone tomorrow we are getting scores????

Can anyone advise on how to deal with release of scores on ERAS? Worried step 2 might not be as good as I want so should I put in the request in ERAS to get my transcript from the NBME now? Will this give me the option to update it later or not at all depending on my step 2? anyone know exactly how that works?

My permit link looks the same as before. Still "clickable" but then has the error message. It will be 4 Wednesdays for me. I had 7 44 blocks and 1 42 block. Guess I am stuck in the extra long waiting game. Oh well.

Just checked also...me too, same boat as you mybubbles....i wonder if theres any hope of it disappearing sometime tomorrow.

NBME 7 has been killing most people and many have gotten scores much lower than any of their other prep exams. If you've gotten through all your uworld and stayed true to your study plan you're likely fine. Nobody can tell you exactly what your score will be. You can try another nbme if you absolutely need a confidence booster.

IMO getting your app out early with scores will be more advantageous.

Thanks for the advice SRC1987. I'll slog the next few days and based on my UWSA, I shall decide to stick or not.

To add to the NBME 7 discussion:

It undershot my real score by 23 points.

Here's all my practice exam scores in the order I took them:
NBME 6 - 244 (2 1/2 wks out)
NBME 7 - 240 (1 1/2 wks out)
UWSA - 256 (1 wk out)
Actual score - 263

Took this on July 13, score back on August 5. I had about 42-44 questions in every block.

Step 1: 245

In order...
NBME 3 (- 2m): 208
NBME 4 (-3 wk): 237
NBME 6 (-2wk): 237
UWSA (-10 days): 232
Free "150" (-7 days): 89%
NBME 7 (-5 days): 232

Main resource was UWorld. I went through it 2x. First time around spent a couple of hours reviewing each and every block. Read the explanations from top to bottom. Made Anki cards on the topics of almost every single question. Would spend a couple of hours each morning going over Anki, then do at least 2 blocks for the rest of the day. I reviewed the CMS test I had taken in 3rd yr. I used MTB leisurely. I also used Step Secrets, in the last few days leading up to it, which was very helpful for quick facts.

So, overall: 1) UW 2) Anki 3) CMS 4) Step Secrets >>>>> 5) MTB

As for NBMEs. Take them with a grain of salt. I was really freaking out because none of them were even touching 240, let alone exceeding my S1 score. NBME 3 will leave you helpless though, seeing as it doesn't have feedback. Everyone says UWSA is super predictive, but it was NOT for me. Keep your head up, use UWORLD, and don't get too caught up on the numbers. Whether you're scoring high or low, it doesn't tell you much, except that you've practiced sitting for 4 blocks in a row, and gets you used to NBME style q's.

Step 2: 254

Thank God!

Just as the poster earlier asked, but do you mind sharing your Anki deck? Thanks. :)

bummer i took it july 23 why the long wait I still have my link and did not have any short sections. One of my friends who took it early july said his permit didnt disappear and he still got his scores?

this is what I got from the NBME. Maybe we are the 'some' students with a delay. Tough to believe someone who took it July 28 had their permit disappear. Maybe we will get surprised and the permit trick is bogus???

The USMLE program usually reports Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK) scores within four weeks of testing. However, because of necessary modifications to the test item pool, there will be a delay in reporting for some examinees who test between the week of July 13th through late August. The target date for reporting Step 2 CK scores for most examinees who test during this time period will be Wednesday, September 16, 2015.

During the period July 13 through late August, the number of items per block on a given examination form will vary but will not exceed 44 items. The number of items in a block is displayed on the screen at the beginning of the block. Please note this information and pace yourself accordingly.