USMLE USMLE - Official 2016 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trogdor_The_Burninator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

With 2016 around the corner, I thought it would be a good time to start this thread and continue the 2015 thread into the new year!

Similar threads from the past have been extremely helpful to me (and I'm sure) and many others.

Good luck to everyone taking Step 2 CK in 2016!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there was a "gold standard" for Step 2 Resources, like UFAP for step 1? Obviously I will use uWorld, but what other resources are the go to in terms of Overall Review Books / Subject Specific / Qbanks / Videos? Thanks!

- Videos: Onlinemeded
- Books: most use MTB 2 or FA, some use MTB3 as well
- Clinical mastery series for additional questions from NBME
- if you have a lot of time: Kaplan or USMLE RX q bank.

- Videos: Onlinemeded
- Books: most use MTB 2 or FA, some use MTB3 as well
- Clinical mastery series for additional questions from NBME
- if you have a lot of time: Kaplan or USMLE RX q bank.
thats my exact plan, along with fischer videos if I need from medquest and questions

how long do you think it will take to finish it all? 6-8 weeks by OME schedule

i got 70% on NBME 3 after step 1, and it was failing.

Members don't see this ad :)
hello
I am an IMG done with my step 1 exam 10 days ago and expecting my score soon , my nbmes were 260+ , and am expecting 250+ on the real deal
I want to do my step 2 CS and CK both before 15 July to get a chance to apply for this match ... I have all the day off with no school or long job ... is that possible ?

yesterday I did nbme 4 offline and I got 240+ as a base line
some people told me that 2 months of uworld are enough for someone who did step 1 recently

what's your advice?

Does anybody have any techniques for answering Drug add questions quickly? They tend not to be v.hard but the time they take can be ridiculous

Reactions: 1 user
Long time lurker and beneficiary here. Definitely not in the 260s squad, but absolutely grateful given my step 1 score. Just got my score back today after one very long month.

Step 1 - 193
CS - pass on 1st attempt
Step 2 - 236

It is not as high as I hoped for but I am ok. Hopefully this gives someone out there hope.

Would you mind telling me what was your study plan?

2 months out. Just took NBME 3 to see where I stand, but can't find much conversation about its utility and accuracy as a predictor online. Seems many people defer taking this practice exam. Is there any particular reason?

Long time lurker and beneficiary here. Definitely not in the 260s squad, but absolutely grateful given my step 1 score. Just got my score back today after one very long month.

Step 1 - 193
CS - pass on 1st attempt
Step 2 - 236

It is not as high as I hoped for but I am ok. Hopefully this gives someone out there hope.
What was your Uworld average?

Wow just got my score back. I am devastated.
Nbme 6: 238 (12 d before test)
Uwsa: 255 ( 5 d before test)
Nothing crazy happened during test day.

Score: 236

It's over

Wow just got my score back. I am devastated.
Nbme 6: 238 (12 d before test)
Uwsa: 255 ( 5 d before test)
Nothing crazy happened during test day.

Score: 236

It's over
Congrats!! you can still match. Just focus on other areas of your application. Did you remember a lot of gimmie mistakes on test day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Im an IMG. By Step 1 was 235+. It could still work out but this score put me in a place I didn't want to be.
As a IMG, your score is not probably ideal for the ultra competitive specialties. But you are ok from anything FM to EM. General surgery might be an uphill battle, however.

As a IMG, your score is not probably ideal for the ultra competitive specialties. But you are ok from anything FM to EM. General surgery might be an uphill battle, however.

I agree on FM, even IM, psych, peds, and maybe a couple others. but certainly not ok for EM. Still would have a decent shot tho. scores are generally good and you will be fine. you will become a doctor in the states. In the end, that is what matters the most.

I agree on FM, even IM, psych, peds, and maybe a couple others. but certainly not ok for EM. Still would have a decent shot tho. scores are generally good and you will be fine. you will become a doctor in the states. In the end, that is what matters the most.
he has scores to get into good FM, IM, Psych, Peds, OBY, if he is willing to go anywhere EM, Surgery has a chance depending on rest of app, my friend matched in radiology last year with a 230, 234. The only things I would count out is ortho, optho, vascular, derm, plastic. If you look at the list of average scores for IMG and AMG he has average or higher scores for like 15/20 specialities. Of course all this is on assumption you dont need a visa. If you need a visa it limits possibilities down a lot.
So look everyine should look at official stats to see what average scores are match vs no match. His scores are better than 75% of other IMG

has anyone taken the school adminstered CCSE/comp step 2ck at the prometric center (need a 79 to pass) ? If so, any advice? How does it differ from step 2ck prep?

has anyone taken the school adminstered CCSE/comp step 2ck at the prometric center (need a 79 to pass) ? If so, any advice? How does it differ from step 2ck prep?
yeah, it doesnt differ. just do Online meded, questions and MTB CK your golden. After step 1 only took 4 weeks to get 225 on CCSE

if your step 1 knowledge is solid/fresh your already at a solid starting point. My first NBME post step 1 for CK without any CK studying was a 70 and my step 1 starting point was a 48 so yeah its nice to not need 9 months to study

yeah, it doesnt differ. just do Online meded, questions and MTB CK your golden. After step 1 only took 4 weeks to get 225 on CCSE

if your step 1 knowledge is solid/fresh your already at a solid starting point. My first NBME post step 1 for CK without any CK studying was a 70 and my step 1 starting point was a 48 so yeah its nice to not need 9 months to study
I disagree, I took the CCSE and thought it was extremely straightforward. Took CK 2 weeks ago and felt horrible. Then again still haven't gotten my score back for CK so lets say I disagree at this point.

I disagree, I took the CCSE and thought it was extremely straightforward. Took CK 2 weeks ago and felt horrible. Then again still haven't gotten my score back for CK so lets say I disagree at this point.
lets hope you agree by then, please keep us posted.

I cant say what ck is like yet but I know my study method wont change, and my friends did great with same materials

Did you think the CCSE was similar to the FRED FREE 150?

Anyone else who took UWSA notice a large discrepancy in their percentile and the overall score? Not sure what to make of that

My overall score seems a lot higher than it should be for the percent correct and overall percentile. Just want to make sure there's not an error or anything as I am using this score to decide whether or not to move my test date

what was your precent correct and overall score?

What subjects are FA 9ed. particularly weak in/lacking completely?

Thank you for your question, unfortunately I am unable to comment, as I am in the same boat as you. If anyone has advice or recommendations for a 5 week CK study plan that utilizes a combination (all or some) of UW, NBME/ Clinical Mastery Series, OnlineMedEd, MTB2/3, SUTM and FA it would be extremely helpful!

My preliminary plan: read SUTM full, OME vids(1.5x) +/- notes full, MTB2/3 and FA as needed, complete 2 CMS for each subject and complete one UWSA and 2-3 NMBE exams

Hi, I am new in the forum and this is my first time writing, I just got my step 2 CK results today 238, my step 1 in august 238.
I am very worried, I am planning to apply to IM and I did not expect this result.
Preparation 6 months, 3 weeks dedicated. UWSA 1 254 (1 month before, UWSA2 240 (1 week before). UW 1st time 73%, 2nd 90%.
8 days before the test I started having problems with my vision in my right eye after being 2 hours in from of the computer, so the last week I did not study that much.
During the test I had the same problem after part 5, I had to stop and take a break every 30 minutes for 1 minute
I don't know if that affected my performance.
I wanted to be competitive and I knew that I needed >240 in step 2ck to get better chances.

What are the possibilities of enough IV for internal medicine?

Man, sorry to hear about your vision problem. That's the stuff of nightmares in general, let alone taking freaking Step!

I think you should be OK for IM. Good thing is, you didn't drop from your Step 1.

Hey guys I just wanted to ask in a general sense, what has been everyone's experience with biochem questions on Step 2 CK? I don't think I've come across a single one in Uworld yet. Let me know your thoughts

Hey guys I just wanted to ask in a general sense, what has been everyone's experience with biochem questions on Step 2 CK? I don't think I've come across a single one in Uworld yet. Let me know your thoughts

General consensus seems to be know your vitamins, storage diseases, and maybe some genetics (what's XLR, auto dominant, etc).

Anyone took the test on May 24? I feel like i failed it. I took Uworld sa 1 3 weeks out and got 243, uworld sa 2 1 week out was 237. My uworld average was 70%. The real test was much harder. There were only like 25% of answers that I know for sure.

Hi everyone! I was new to posting a week ago but I, like the rest of us, always creep on these forums for support and insight. Therefore I wanted to write a post about my experience with CK to help out others because others have helped me stay positive.
1. You are not alone
- People are always more likely to write about their success and not their failures because naturally we are embarrassed. I failed CK the first time and I was devastated. I went into the biggest depression, I didnt see it coming at all, I wasnt even worried but then this came out of no where and I was a mess. And one of the hardest parts was thinking all my classmates were moving forward and didn't have to deal with this. But for anyone in my boat, you're not alone! And I completely understand and feel for how hard that is, esp. after you've worked so hard and come so far already. To get something snatched from you in a second, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy,

2. Life's not fair, but you can get through it.
- No matter how sad you feel, you need to keep going. You need to find hope. MLK- "If you lose hope, somehow you lose the vitality that keeps life moving, you lose that courage to be, that quality that helps you go on in spite of it all". A big part of that is a solid support system. Reach out to close friends and family and they will be your biggest cheerleaders. Ask friends or siblings in medicine to tutor you, or go over questions together so you can change your way of thinking! The people in your life give you strength and it can definitely be hard to reach out due to fear of judgement but your closest friends are more empathetic and understanding than you think.

3. Your feeling during the test has ZERO (and i mean ZERO) correlation to how you do.
- Okay here's my story...
Take 1: Just finished rotations, did uworld once and then half my incorrects and was scoring in the 70s. Took nbme 6 and got a 223. Took the real test and failed by a few points :(
Take 2: Used conrad fisher videos, did uworld twice, read MTB2. Did all 3 nbme's and got in the 230's, did UWSA got 242, and reviewed these w/ recent med grads. But still felt nervous since my nbme the first take was so over predictive. Test day: FELT HORRIBLE. I mean i literally cried on one of my breaks. It felt NOTHING like uworld or the nbmes. I marked more than half my answers cause I was so unsure. It was the worst test I had ever taken and with so much riding on a second take, I cant even begin to explain my anxiety. I walked out of there feeling worse than when i found out I failed. It took a month to get my scores back and I was a mess the whole time. It was torture.

Step 2 CK (take 2) score.... 248!!!!!!!!!
Guys, im serious I never in a million years thought I was capable of such a score. I know it's easy to read a lot of posts and be like, wow this person was scoring so high and then felt bad but scored the same they must have psyched themselves out. Or this person is complaining about a score I would have been happy with. I mean i went from both extremes. From the way bottom to a score I would never imagine. From 20 points below my practice tests to 20 points above. I still now dont know how I could have scored that from a test i felt so bad during but I hope that gives insight to others to try their best not to panic.

Sorry that was long, but I am so thankful and grateful and I hope I can help others stay strong the way my family, friends, and random ppl on the internet :p have helped me. Please message me if you need anything at all! And the Best of Luck to Everyone!!!

Charlie Day- "People will tell you to do what makes you happy, but all this has been hard work. And I'm not always happy. I don't think you should just do what makes you happy. Do what makes you great. Do what's uncomfortable and scary and hard but pays off in the long run. Be willing to fail. Let yourself fail. Fail in the way and place where you would be proud to fail. Fail and pick yourself up and fail again. Without that struggle, what is your success anyway? You don't have to be fearless just don't let fear stop you."
Thanks! your post made me feel a lot better. I have been feeling like crap since i took the exam yesterday.

Anyone took the test on May 24? I feel like i failed it. I took Uworld sa 1 3 weeks out and got 243, uworld sa 2 1 week out was 237. My uworld average was 70%. The real test was much harder. There were only like 25% of answers that I know for sure.
Hello starmoney....I know what you are going through. I felt the same way after I gave my exam about a month ago. I thought I was guessing on every question. The questions were long, answer choices were vague and I was struggling with time in every block, something that was never an issue for me while taking the nbme/uwsa. Walked out feeling defeated...couldn't remember any questions. But it's true when they say- your score has no correlation with how you feel after the exam and you will most likely do well if you did well in uwsa or nbme. Same was true for me; in fact I did better than any of my practice tests. I am sure you will do well too as your uswa scores are good. Best wishes!!

Yep took mine may 26- it was brutal. Super vague, crappy quality pics, timing was harder than I expected - for a moment I thought I might actually be taking COMLEX again lol just hoping to god I passed at this point

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Lots of people have been mentioning that there was a lot of first aid step 1 knowledge used. Would you guys agree? if so, could you provide some examples or elaborate a bit?

Ive got my CK exam in a week, I am confused especially because everyone says UWSA is predictive and that NBME 7 is hard. Here are my scores so far

NBME6 (8 weeks out )- 230
COMP exam which our school makes us take at prometric ( 6 weeks out)- 230
UWSA1 ( 2 weeks out)- 220.... I was shocked, found it extremely difficult
NBME 7 and NBME 4 same day ( 1 week out)- 250 on NBME 7 and 257 on NBME 4

Fred free 150 ( 1 day out) - We'll see....

And I peaking at the right time or is this just a fluke? Because honestly to me the NBME's are a joke, and UWSA is insanely difficult.

Hey, congrats on being done. I also took comp at a Prometric, how does it compare with the real exam? I got a 97 on it.

Hello starmoney....I know what you are going through. I felt the same way after I gave my exam about a month ago. I thought I was guessing on every question. The questions were long, answer choices were vague and I was struggling with time in every block, something that was never an issue for me while taking the nbme/uwsa. Walked out feeling defeated...couldn't remember any questions. But it's true when they say- your score has no correlation with how you feel after the exam and you will most likely do well if you did well in uwsa or nbme. Same was true for me; in fact I did better than any of my practice tests. I am sure you will do well too as your uswa scores are good. Best wishes!!

Thanks for sharing your experience Amikacin, I really appreciate it.

Getting ready to start Step 2 studying, nice to see some familiar names from the ol' step 1 thread around on here. It kind of amazes me how much less anxious I am about step 2 than 1 haha. Hope you're all killing it!

Hello. I tried to message you directly but it won't allow me to. Will you PM me, please?