USMLE - Official 2017 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesus1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there's no thread for the 2017 Step 2 CK, I figured I'd go ahead and create one. Happy new year in Step 2 CK land.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users

Lower than my UWSAs and my Step 1. I guess, not sleeping for 2 days before the exam will do that to you lol
Relieved I passed tho :)

Hopefully, it's gonna be enough for peds/IM/FM :)
Hi can you do a write up of how you studied? Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to everyone. No matter what score you got today, you worked hard and deserve to be proud of the hard work you've done! Thank you sdn for keeping me calm numerous times throughout my med school career :) next stop: step 3
Question is....should JTB be benched??

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Hi everyone. I am asking for a little help here. If someone of you have already taken their exam but still have a week of uw subscription left, can I use it? I would be very thankful if anyone of you guys can help. I'm a little low on budget so needed a little help.
My uw expired a while back and I can't buy the full new subscription.
Thank you

Hi everyone. I am asking for a little help here. If someone of you have already taken their exam but still have a week of uw subscription left, can I use it? I would be very thankful if anyone of you guys can help. I'm a little low on budget so needed a little help.
My uw expired a while back and I can't buy the full new subscription.
Thank you

Hi, i have 2 weeks left of my uworld subscription and i've taken the exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Long time lurker here. I first want to say that reading this forum really helped calm me down during the score waiting period. Thank you to all who have previously shared their experiences.

NBME 6 188 (2.5 weeks out)
UWSA2 232 (1 week out)
UWorld 65% avg
Other resources: read Step 2 Secrets and select chapters in MTB

Real Exam: 230

I walked out of that exam seriously thinking I failed. I marked more questions than I ever had in a practice exam and felt as if I was randomly guessing for at least half the test. To those who are struggling and had a similar experience, I will echo the advice of others here: trust your UWSA!

Long time lurker here. I first want to say that reading this forum really helped calm me down during the score waiting period. Thank you to all who have previously shared their experiences.

UWSA2 232 (1 week out)
UWorld 65% avg

I walked out of that exam seriously thinking I failed. I marked more questions than I ever had in a practice exam and felt as if I was randomly guessing for at least half the test. To those who are struggling and had a similar experience, I will echo the advice of others here: trust your UWSA!
That's a pretty darn good improvement from your first to your second practice exams! Congrats on the score!

UWSA2 232 (1 week out)
UWorld 65% avg

I also felt the same way and ended up doing fine, so I echo this!

UWSA1: 228 (early July)
UWSA2: 243 (early Aug)

Step 2CK: 228 (Aug 22)

Pretty disappointing, UWSA isn't as predictive as people say

Just got my score. Please listen to the people who say all you need is UWorld (at least until there's something better out)... That's all I used and did fine.
Agreed, I skimmed step 2 secrets 3 days before the exam but didn't feel like it helped me get a ton more points.

Step 1: 253
UWSA1 (baseline- 3 weeks before) 253
UWSA2 (2 weeks before) 258
NBME 4 (1 week before) 280

Real CK: 255; Relieved because I walked out of that thing feeling so defeated. Counted over 15 super easy gimme questions that I am sure I would've gotten any other day. Remembered a crap ton of questions that I wasn't sure about. Towards the end of the test, I stopped marking because it was just too much.

What I regret: Using First Aid CK. I wasted way too much time on it.
What I wished I did: Stick with a super barebones text like MTB and annotate it with whatever I found on UW; really memorize the charts/flowcharts. Also wish I went over the USPTF guidelines more thoroughly. Step 2 Secrets was good for last minute review.

Looks like I'm set to apply diagnostic rads!

Hi friends!

Long time lurker here. I took my exam on 8/21 and felt okay during the exam, but afterwards was consumed by questions I knew I got wrong (as we often do as med students). I knew I wanted to improve because my Step 1 was less than stellar (204).

NBME 7 228
USWA 2 230

Step 2 CK 233

I used UWorld and MTB for studying! I found UWorld to be the most helpful.

Reactions: 2 users
Guys, do you have any experience how PDs look at drop from Step 1 to Step 2?
I seriously wish my Step 1 was lower now lol
Step 1: 239
Step 2: 231

No of points wise it's not that bad but Step 1 I'm above average and 2 - below.

How do I explain this during the interview (if I get any lol)? I know it was no sleep for 2 nights before but I can't use an excuse even if it's legit.

Hi can you do a write up of how you studied? Congratulations!

Thank you :)

Onlinemeded and Uworld.

I loved OME. Since I graduated a few years ago I remembered ZERO from surgery or Ob/Gyn. OME fixed it.

I did Uworld only once, wish I did twice.

UWSA 1: 243 (before reading Ob/Gyn)
UWSA 2: 243 (1 week before)
Free 120: 90%

I believe it was lack of sleep (zero sleep) that caused a drop. Will still say UWSAs are very predictive.
I had to use eye drops during the exam to keep my eyes open.

So, MAKE SURE YOU SLEEP, GUYS!

Reactions: 3 users

How do I explain this during the interview (if I get any lol)? I know it was no sleep for 2 nights before but I can't use an excuse even if it's legit.

I don't think you'll have any problems getting interviews especially with those scores. I've always been told that as long as my CK score was around the general vicinity of my step 1 score, it would be okay. There are so many things that could go wrong on test day so I'm assuming PDs would understand that bad days happen every once in a while.

I don't think you'll have any problems getting interviews especially with those scores. I've always been told that as long as my CK score was around the general vicinity of my step 1 score, it would be okay. There are so many things that could go wrong on test day so I'm assuming PDs would understand that bad days happen every once in a while.

Thank you so much for these words! I really appreciate it and will stick to it! :)

During my Med School interview I was brutally honest about why there was a certain red flag in my application and what caused it. I explained to them how I learned from my mistakes and how in the future I would use those lessons to not repeat it. Guess what? I got in because I was ballsy enough to be tell the truth. The truth is a very powerful thing. I would be honest because what you are saying is not an excuse, it's legit.

Reactions: 1 users
During my Med School interview I was brutally honest about why there was a certain red flag in my application and what caused it. I explained to them how I learned from my mistakes and how in the future I would use those lessons to not repeat it. Guess what? I got in because I was ballsy enough to be tell the truth. The truth is a very powerful thing. I would be honest because what you are saying is not an excuse, it's legit.

Totally! I'll definitely be honest.
Will not get anything from lying. This is how it is and I'm just gonna say it.

Totally! I'll definitely be honest.
Will not get anything from lying. This is how it is and I'm just gonna say it.

I am going to play Devil's advocate here..
239 Step 1 (0.5 std dev above mean) to 231 step 2 (0.75 std dev) below mean is a huge drop in performance. You scored 47 points above passing in Step 1 to now only 22 points above passing.

Your lack of sleep is also a poor excuse. Most people that I know did not sleep well before either exam and they perform at their capabilities. Don't believe me? Do a SDN forum search and see how many other people didn't sleep yet they did not have any decline in their performance.

231 is a respectable score as it is >230 - but whether or not it hinders you depends on your specialty choice now.

P.S. your bigger red flag is why you graduated so many years ago and only applying for the match now??

I am going to play Devil's advocate here..
239 Step 1 (0.5 std dev above mean) to 231 step 2 (0.75 std dev) below mean is a huge drop in performance. You scored 47 points above passing in Step 1 to now only 22 points above passing.

Your lack of sleep is also a poor excuse. Most people that I know did not sleep well before either exam and they perform at their capabilities. Don't believe me? Do a SDN forum search and see how many other people didn't sleep yet they did not have any decline in their performance.

231 is a respectable score as it is >230 - but whether or not it hinders you depends on your specialty choice now.

Well, I'm aware lol.

There is nothing I can say about it, though.
Passed Step 1 well, had good UWSAs, performed not as well. Nothing to add :)
I agree, I slept 3 hours before Step 1 - passed well. Slept 0 hours before CS - passed.
Slept 0 hours before CK - passed not as well, so I did not affect my performance before.

I'm applying for Peds/FM/IM

Well, I'm aware lol.

There is nothing I can say about it, though.
Passed Step 1 well, had good UWSAs, performed not as well. Nothing to add :)
I agree, I slept 3 hours before Step 1 - passed well. Slept 0 hours before CS - passed.
Slept 0 hours before CK - passed not as well, so I did not affect my performance before.

I'm applying for Peds/FM/IM

Yes for those specialties your scores are fine. The bigggest red flag is why you graduated so many years ago but just applying for the match now? What have you been doing in this time?

Yes for those specialties your scores are fine. The bigggest red flag is why you graduated so many years ago but just applying for the match now? What have you been doing in this time?

Working in my home country and doing research in NYC.
I passed all my exams this year.

Step 1 - 242
Did all UWORLD questions for each clerkship except psych questions (used Lange) and read 1 text for each rotation throughout MS3 for shelf study.
NBME 4 - 256 (after 3rd year and sub-i)
UWORLD - reset qbank, averaged mid 80s in tutor and timed modes, had about 200 questions left when I took Step 2 CK.
NBME 6 - 241 (1 week out)

Step 2 CK Actual - 265

your step1 is above average. your step2 is below average. Together, you are an average applicant, scores-wise. Also keep in mind that step1 has traditionally been given more value than step2, simply because everyone must have a step1 (or comlex if you are a DO) when you apply to residency.

I wouldn't lose sleep over your step2 score. Your scores won't keep you from getting interview invites. Other aspects of your application could.

your step1 is above average. your step2 is below average. Together, you are an average applicant, scores-wise. Also keep in mind that step1 has traditionally been given more value than step2, simply because everyone must have a step1 (or comlex if you are a DO) when you apply to residency.

I wouldn't lose sleep over your step2 score. Your scores won't keep you from getting interview invites. Other aspects of your application could.

Thank you!

Yep, an average applicant it is, haha :)

Well, there is nothing I can do about it now, just hope I get interviews :D

Reactions: 3 users
Hi Everybody. I have a friend that has failed his step 2 CK exam 4 times. This last time he scored a 208 and a 209 is passing! He has graduated medical school and has been studying this test for years. Does anyone know how of any time a score appeal has been granted from Fail to Passing? Obviously, I can elaborate on how unfortunate this is, but I am more so seeking guided help if any is out there! His medical school that he graduated from most likely won't grant him another chance to re-take.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

May I ask why you didn't/couldn't sleep for two days leading up to the exam? :/ so sorry that happened to you!!

May I ask why you didn't/couldn't sleep for two days leading up to the exam? :/ so sorry that happened to you!!

Stress.
My brain just doesn't calm down. I was chill pretty much all the time while studying and 2 days before it just hit me: palpitations, anxiety, and insomnia.
Tried meds and... they did not help. On the contrary, made it worse. I didn't sleep + was buzzed from meds. Didn't want to risk it before the exam.

I think Step 1 wasn't as demanding as Step 2 CK, so it was easier to go through with it with no sleep.

The same happened before Step 1 and CS.

Stress.
My brain just doesn't calm down. I was chill pretty much all the time while studying and 2 days before it just hit me: palpitations, anxiety, and insomnia.
Tried meds and... they did not help. On the contrary, made it worse. I didn't sleep + was buzzed from meds. Didn't want to risk it before the exam.

I think Step 1 wasn't as demanding as Step 2 CK, so it was easier to go through with it with no sleep.

The same happened before Step 1 and CS.
Wow, I'm so sorry about that!! I feel for you because I get very anxious before tests also. As far as how to explain the score discrepancy, just be honest about it and tell it to them like it is! Besides your step 1 score is totally baller and as long as your ck score is in the ball park you'll be in good shape, is what I keep hearing!