USMLE - Official 2017 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesus1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there's no thread for the 2017 Step 2 CK, I figured I'd go ahead and create one. Happy new year in Step 2 CK land.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Can someone offer some advice? I have my exam on Monday and am freaking out. UWSA2 (2wks out) 262, Nmbe 7 (1 wk out) 235, UWSA1(5 days out) 253. I don't trust my scores at all. I feel like my content base sucks and I realize I missed some stupid easy questions because I just didn't know the answer to a common topic. I don't trust my last UWSA because I got 90% in one block and 60% in another, which to me seems like my score should have been in the 240s then. My step 1 was 250 & I want to just match it, but after reading all of these comments, I'm not sure I can. I felt way better during step 1 dedicated. All my nmbes were right in range. I've only taken 1 nmbe for CK and I did bad. What if I end up getting a 235 on the real deal? Idk what to do. I can move the exam but the nearest date is 10 days away. I'm already tired of studying. I finished my 2nd pass of UW and did ok, not great. Really, that's all I used. I regret how I studied. I should have watched onlinemeded for foundational knowledge but didn't. I feel like nmbe has traditionally been more predictive for me, and if I base this off of my nmbe 7, I am screwed. I am lacking confidence now. I won't even do the frees 120 for dread of doing badly. Feel so stressed

Can someone offer some advice? I have my exam on Monday and am freaking out. UWSA2 (2wks out) 262, Nmbe 7 (1 wk out) 235, UWSA1(5 days out) 253. I don't trust my scores at all. I feel like my content base sucks and I realize I missed some stupid easy questions because I just didn't know the answer to a common topic. I don't trust my last UWSA because I got 90% in one block and 60% in another, which to me seems like my score should have been in the 240s then. My step 1 was 250 & I want to just match it, but after reading all of these comments, I'm not sure I can. I felt way better during step 1 dedicated. All my nmbes were right in range. I've only taken 1 nmbe for CK and I did bad. What if I end up getting a 235 on the real deal? Idk what to do. I can move the exam but the nearest date is 10 days away. I'm already tired of studying. I finished my 2nd pass of UW and did ok, not great. Really, that's all I used. I regret how I studied. I should have watched onlinemeded for foundational knowledge but didn't. I feel like nmbe has traditionally been more predictive for me, and if I base this off of my nmbe 7, I am screwed. I am lacking confidence now. I won't even do the frees 120 for dread of doing badly. Feel so stressed
I can sense how anxious you are. I'd recommend moving the test and then step away from studying for a day (or two) to recollect yourself. Then go HAM on solving CMS questions and learning from them. You can learn a lot in a week. Review your incorrects in uworld or topics you feel uncomfortable about, but mostly dwell in questions. Goodluck. I felt this way after i did UWSA 1 and got 261. I felt it was a fluke and i still had knowledge gaps. I was right.

You're fine dude. Both of your USWAs are above your target score. What more do you ask?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm grateful that I paid $60 for the UWSA 1 and 2, and my score was within the range of my UWSAs as seen below:

UWSA-1: 238 - 1 week before
UWSA-2: 248 - 2 day before

Real deal: 245
Step-1: 234

I used UWorld, medEd videos, and MTB. I review wrong questions, watch videos on my weak topics, review notes, and repeat.

On exam day, I felt great during the first two blocks. Then, it went down hill from there to the point that I was completely guessing on the last two blocks, and I felt terrible, much worse than one week earlier when I took COMLEX-2, which I didn't feel too bad.

Being a DO student, reality hit me with the irony that my COMLEX-2 was the actual nightmare in 8-parts.

So my advise is to trust the instinct you have developed through your practice. The questions may appear vague, the answer choices sound all similar, but deep down you actually know the right answer.

You can search through the thread and see that people CONSISTENTLY do worse on NBME 7 than any other exam, including the real exam. I totally get that you feel like you don't-really-know anything but you're still scoring well - you feel like it's a fluke that has happened 2x and wont' hold up on the real exam. I would say most people feel that way - UWSA's are hard and make you feel uneasy before seeing your score and that's how it's going to be on the real thing. But consistently scoring >252 on your two UWSA's says something and it's the prevailing theory that NBME for Step I but UWSA's for Step II in terms of predictive value. I also skipped out on the free 120 - the potential 1-2 q's were not worth potentially not doing well on it and messing my confidence before the test. This is obviously more of a pep-talk than real advice cause there's no right answer on pushing your test back or not - just do whichever will make you feel more confident cause that's going to be a bigger factor in your performance than a few more days of studying. Best of luck on whichever choice you decide on.

I can sense how anxious you are. I'd recommend moving the test and then step away from studying for a day (or two) to recollect yourself. Then go HAM on solving CMS questions and learning from them. You can learn a lot in a week. Review your incorrects in uworld or topics you feel uncomfortable about, but mostly dwell in questions. Goodluck. I felt this way after i did UWSA 1 and got 261. I felt it was a fluke and i still had knowledge gaps. I was right.
I can move the exam to the 29th. If I do that, my last practice test will be 10 days before, unless I take an nbme and risk hurting my confidence more.

You can search through the thread and see that people CONSISTENTLY do worse on NBME 7 than any other exam, including the real exam. I totally get that you feel like you don't-really-know anything but you're still scoring well - you feel like it's a fluke that has happened 2x and wont' hold up on the real exam. I would say most people feel that way - UWSA's are hard and make you feel uneasy before seeing your score and that's how it's going to be on the real thing. But consistently scoring >252 on your two UWSA's says something and it's the prevailing theory that NBME for Step I but UWSA's for Step II in terms of predictive value. I also skipped out on the free 120 - the potential 1-2 q's were not worth potentially not doing well on it and messing my confidence before the test. This is obviously more of a pep-talk than real advice cause there's no right answer on pushing your test back or not - just do whichever will make you feel more confident cause that's going to be a bigger factor in your performance than a few more days of studying. Best of luck on whichever choice you decide on.
Right now I don't feel like I'm in a mentally good place. I feel tired. I can postpone until the 29th, but then that's 10 days since my last UWSA. I could take another nbme but then I risk doing poorly and hurting my confidence even more. What do you think?

Right now I don't feel like I'm in a mentally good place. I feel tired. I can postpone until the 29th, but then that's 10 days since my last UWSA. I could take another nbme but then I risk doing poorly and hurting my confidence even more. What do you think?
Take a day off and go for the exam, that’s it

Reactions: 1 user
I'm grateful that I paid $60 for the UWSA 1 and 2, and my score was within the range of my UWSAs as seen below:

UWSA-1: 238 - 1 week before
UWSA-2: 248 - 2 day before

Real deal: 245
Step-1: 234

I used UWorld, medEd videos, and MTB. I review wrong questions, watch videos on my weak topics, review notes, and repeat.

On exam day, I felt great during the first two blocks. Then, it went down hill from there to the point that I was completely guessing on the last two blocks, and I felt terrible, much worse than one week earlier when I took COMLEX-2, which I didn't feel too bad.

Being a DO student, reality hit me with the irony that my COMLEX-2 was the actual nightmare in 8-parts.

So my advise is to trust the instinct you have developed through your practice. The questions may appear vague, the answer choices sound all similar, but deep down you actually know the right answer.
Hi, how would you say was the difficulty level of uwsa1 compared to the real exam. I have time to do only one and I will prolly end up doing uwsa1 as I have bought it already

Hi, how would you say was the difficulty level of uwsa1 compared to the real exam. I have time to do only one and I will prolly end up doing uwsa1 as I have bought it already
I think that USWA-1 was easier than the real exam, which resembled USWA-2 the most, if not more challenging.
A lot of people find their scores closest to USWA-1 though.

I postponed it a few days to work on my weak points and take a day off. Didn't feel mentally ready.

You need to seriously relax and stop psyching yourself out. You have good scores. Trust your scores. At this point the only way you will screw up is if you let yourself. Stop postponing, trust your scores and take that exam with confidence and not like a little bitch. You are in a good place and will do well now take this damn beast and get it over with!! Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to seriously relax and stop psyching yourself out. You have good scores. Trust your scores. At this point the only way you will screw up is if you let yourself. Stop postponing, trust your scores and take that exam with confidence and not like a little bitch. You are in a good place and will do well now take this damn beast and get it over with!! Good luck
I postponed once and only added a few days. Yeah, you're right, I do need to relax, which is why I postponed it. If doing a bit more studying in my weak areas & doing more UW helps me feel better prepared, that translates to more confidence on test day. I want to go in feeling as confident as I can, not with regrets.

UWSA1 265 2 weeks out
UWSA2 267 1.5 weeks out
NBME6 252 1 week out
NBME 7 250 yesterday
NBME 4 282 today !!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????????????????????????????

i am so confused.......................................

I just wanna to say that these posts are not representative of the reality , most people do not score high like these ppl, so anyone who is reading this forum pls do not go down .

We wanna to say ! you can do it :nod:

Do your best, and pray :) ;)

guys what you do if your mind is burned out & become slow on reading u world :(
had a slow way the previous 4 days , only done 40 questions :( . i give time for staying in front of the lap top & u world , but the reading phase is so slow & intermittent now .

i hope my mind gain its power soon or i will really miss a golden days of knowledge :(
any advice ?

Feeling pretty crummy right now. Studying for this test has killed my confidence. I did great on step 1, but can't seem to do well on CK. UWSA2 (2 wks out-262), NBME 7 (1 wk out-235), UWSA1 (253). My goal was 260. Doesn't seem like I'm going to get there. I don't even know where I stand. UWSA2 definitely feels like luck now. I'm 5 days out and feel like postponing, but the closest date is October 4th. So stressed with this test.

You sound a lot like me. I got 247 on Step 1, felt like I was doing an absolutely terrible job of studying all throughout the Step 2 process (I felt like I was doing great while studying for Step 1), and postponed the test (only 3 days, but still postponed it). My somewhat realistic goal was 260, while my main goal was at least score 5+ points better than I did on Step 1. The postponement was exactly what I needed, and I increased my score by 7 points. Didn't get my 260, but it still turned out alright.

Took the exam today here are my thoughts:

SO MANY BIOSTATS/ETHICS QUESTIONS!!!!!
I had least 4-5 biostat/ethics questions PER BLOCK. I was shocked. Way more than how much was represented in the practice NBMEs. I would recommend for anyone planning to take the test to NOT pass over these topics. The questions WERE NOT HARD, but if you didn't study beforehand you could easily miss some of these questions. THEY WERE VERY EASY POINTS if you go through the UWORLD set and study those questions, but I just happened to neglect this portion.

A lot of weird/rare microbes and genetic diseases - don't forget about these!

Surprisingly I thought the questions were much more similar to UWorld questions in that they were a lot more straightforward than those dumb/vague NBME questions.

Anyone know when I should expect my score? Goodluck to everyone else!

Reactions: 2 users

I had least 4-5 biostat/ethics questions PER BLOCK. I was shocked. Way more than how much was represented in the practice NBMEs. I would recommend for anyone planning to take the test to NOT pass over these topics. The questions WERE NOT HARD, but if you didn't study beforehand you could easily miss some of these questions. THEY WERE VERY EASY POINTS if you go through the UWORLD set and study those questions, but I just happened to neglect this portion.

Surprisingly I thought the questions were much more similar to UWorld questions in that they were a lot more straightforward than those dumb/vague NBME questions.

I think you should expect your scores on Oct. 18th.
Good luck

Anyone starting Uworld scoring low? 3 months into M3 and ~200 questions in and averaging low 60s. I feel like I'm doing something wrong lol, averaged much higher on step 1 Uworld.
My friend finished Uworld with a 62% average and still got 245 in CK. Uworld Qs seem to be harder than the actual test.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone starting Uworld scoring low? 3 months into M3 and ~200 questions in and averaging low 60s. I feel like I'm doing something wrong lol, averaged much higher on step 1 Uworld.
Ya, i started in the mid 50's and finished at 61% first pass. Got 253 step 2 ck. I was worried just like you because the Uworld average is higher for step 2 but I was getting about 10% lower than my Uworld step 1 bank. I know you've heard it before but just remember that Uworld is a learning tool.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi there. For biostats, when you say "they were very easy points if you go through the UWorld set and study those," do you mean the standard UWorld CK biostats Qs? Or do you mean the separate biostats Qbank that some people have mentioned you can buy for an extra $25 or so?

Guys, do you have any experience how PDs look at drop from Step 1 to Step 2?
I seriously wish my Step 1 was lower now lol
Step 1: 239
Step 2: 231

No of points wise it's not that bad but Step 1 I'm above average and 2 - below.

How do I explain this during the interview (if I get any lol)? I know it was no sleep for 2 nights before but I can't use an excuse even if it's legit.

Looking back at your post history, your biggest issue will be that you failed STEP-1 on your first attempt. However 239 is a good score for second attempt. But a lot of programs require pass on first attempt. Otherwise your step 2 is acceptable.

Do you guys think step up to medicine and Uworld should be enough? I got 255 on step 1 and hoping to do the same/better. Also, I feel like obgyn is my worst subject so was wondering what you guys would recommend to efficiently brush up on the topics?

Do you guys think step up to medicine and Uworld should be enough? I got 255 on step 1 and hoping to do the same/better. Also, I feel like obgyn is my worst subject so was wondering what you guys would recommend to efficiently brush up on the topics?
Do NOT use step up to medicine, it will be a complete waste of time. The information in there is so dense/scattered and UWORLD will suffice. SUTM will not give you the updated guidelines to do well. What you need to do is know random CRAP like you did for step 1. Aka things no one ever studies - ophthamology, dermatology 1st line treatments, genetic syndromes, weird bugs, side effects of drugs, ENT stuff, male GU stuff - all the medicine questions are straightforward but these questions are the ones that test how wide range your knowledge is.

When you are studying, I would recommend for a topic just read the summary at the bottom of UPTODATE regarding management. There were plenty of questions I got right by doing this that was NOT covered in Uworld or my textbooks.
There was a question on my exam I know I got wrong because on Uworld it said one thing but when I looked it up on UpTD the guidelines had changed.

Other high yield things that no one ever studies:
-osteoporosis management both pre and post menopausal
-prognosis of genetic syndromes
-complications of common surgeries
-obgyn know your BREASTS really well, know your cervical cancer algorithms, contraception
-know your ABSOLUTE contraindications to things such as tpa, fibrinolysis, ocps
-VACCINES ARE SO HIGH YIELD - indications and contraindications
-emergency medicine: very high yield stuff (doing my EM rotation before really helped) aka bites/stings, poisonings, hyper/hypothermia
-know your eye stuff and be able to recognize based on pictures
-guarantees to have mutiple derm pictures to identify

My recommendations:
1) master Uworld
2) look at the summary on UPTD for things not covered well (aka management of preterm labor, 1st line treatment for skin disorders, STEMI/NSTEMI)
3) do all the practice nbme questions

No SUTM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
@Youknowgo Is Uworld good enough for ophthal and derm? I am pretty weak in these subjects...
Yes Uworld is good enough but just double check on uptodate.com for some of their 1st line treatments
Pityriasis rosacea- just antihistamines for itchiness
Rosacea - depends on type but usually topical metronidazole
Seborrheic dermatitis - if head selenium sulfide if face topical antifungal or corticosteroidd
Bullock pemphogoid - topical corticosteroid
Pemphigus vulgaris - SYSTEMIC steroids
Know genital wart treatments
Distinguish between tss, meningococcemia, sjs, TEN
Seborrheic keratosis, actinic keratosis, cancer, u know basic stuff
Just look at some pictures on Google along with Uworld and u will be golden

For optho, Uworld is good. The section in first aid for step 1 is actually pretty good too. If u spend an hour on this u will realize it is very easy to tell between artery occlusion, vein occlusion, macula degeneration, glaucoma, diabetic retinopathy, retinal detachment, etc.

U can PM me for more specifics

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
What is the best way to master Uworld for Step 2 CK? Doing it multiple times, screenshotting explanations using parallels, anki deck, handwriting notes? Thanks

I feel I forgot how to study since Step 1....

Hi there,
I am an IM IMG resident, I am going to
have my CK in 3 1/2 months.

What are your advices regarding the materials and the study methods.

Thank you

There are 29 pages on this topic- may want to start off by searching through previous pages.

Hi there,
I am an IM IMG resident, I am going to
have my CK in 3 1/2 months.

What are your advices regarding the materials and the study methods.

Thank you

Got my score back. Feeling deflated. UWSA 1, UWSA 2 and nbme 6 all very much over predicted. > 10 drop in score. I wonder now if the people claiming to have scored 270's are all talking out of their ass because i'm not an average student by any means and i put my best foot forward for this exam..or so i thought. Hmm

Got my score back. Feeling deflated. UWSA 1, UWSA 2 and nbme 6 all very much over predicted. > 10 drop in score. I wonder now if the people claiming to have scored 270's are all talking out of their ass because i'm not an average student by any means and i put my best foot forward for this exam..or so i thought. Hmm
You probably got 250 based on your previous post. 250 is a great score!

Anything you would do differently? Taking it in 3 wks by the way.

When did you take it?

USMLE Step 2 coming up on Monday. How am I looking?

UWSA1: 258 (3 days before test, today)
UWSA2: 251 (week before exam)
UWorld 75% (30% left...)

I got ~250 on Step 1 and honestly I'd be happy with anything over 250 but ideally 255-260. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited:
USMLE Step 1 coming up on Monday. How am I looking?

UWSA1: 258 (3 days before test, today)
UWSA2: 251 (week before exam)
UWorld 75% (30% left...)

I got ~250 on Step 1 and honestly I'd be happy with anything over 250 but ideally 255-260. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your input!
I'm sure you meant step2, :p

Pretty sure you'll get your goal score. good luck

I was hoping someone could give me some advice about approaching NBME questions for step 2 ck. I feel like generally I have a really good base of knowledge, but even when I know the concept presented in the question I get tripped up by the "distracting" information provided in the question stem. Sometimes I feel like the information in the question stem is contradicting.

to provide an example, a patient has symptoms that present exactly like that of polymyalgia rheumatica, but then they have an increased CK which PR patients never have. then in the answer choices polymyositis is an answer choice, which would explain the increased CK, but the patient has no physical exam findings that would have made me think it was polymyositis. so then I get myself all worked up and confused because clinically I see one diagnosis and then lab values tell me something else. How do you guys approach these kind of tricky questions? I feel like my score would jump from a 230 to 250 if I was able to get these questions correct.

Can you please share some tips on time management, clearly you were amazing at time management. Having 10-15 min at the end of each block is beyond impressive. I struggle with time management a lot, finishing World blocks right on time or sometimes guessing on the last two questions due to shortage of time.
Thanks in advance, and congrats!

Another person posted good thoughts about if you have no clue skip it and move on. If you have read through the vignette and answer choices already, before you flag and move on I would also eliminate the obviously wrong answer choices. No need to hem and haw over answer choices here. Just a quick "this answer is idiotic. Definitely not that one". Hopefully you can eliminate choices until you have two left, flag and move on. When you come back, you just have those two to decide from. Probably adds 10-15 seconds to the question before moving on, but might be helpful if you're in a time crunch at the end. A fifty fifty is better than wild guessing for a one in five.