USMLE - Official 2017 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesus1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there's no thread for the 2017 Step 2 CK, I figured I'd go ahead and create one. Happy new year in Step 2 CK land.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My scheduling permit link has gone. I’ve read some post on internet that if it happens it means that your scores will be released soon...

Reactions: 1 user
Got my CK score today. 248. A relief.

I just want to share my exam experience with folks that are still waiting for the test results.

First of all, I am IMG. And my NBME and UWSA were all ~240, except for Form 7, scored 209 which I took early.

Exam day experience. I was very anxious and couldn’t sleep the night before so I took sleep aids pills which put me into a very light sleep for few hours it also fogged me a little bit. On the exam day, I was ok but not feeling the best. The first 2 blocks were not so difficult, probably 1-2 WTF questions. I still marked out ~15ish to review. Then the 3-4 blocks were significantly harder, also I was feeling more tired. I marked out a lot more than I would hope to review after I finished. Then the rest of the blocks, I felt indifference, I just wanted to pushed through the test. I felt like I was an automatic machine working in reflex.

When finishing it, I don’t know what to make of the exam. I forgot most of the question and my answers already. Everything was a blur. I was asked by families and friends how did I do. I said I don’t know because I really didn’t. Then came the days of waiting for result. The more I think about it, the more I felt I failed. So I was hoping for a pass and was preparing myself for a bad score.

Take home message from my experience. 1. Trust your assessment scores. 2. Difficultly and feeling of the real thing was closest to UWSA2, but not the question style. 3. Listen to Emma Holiday, remember what she said. Step2 doesn’t trick you. It goes for the most straight forward questions. It tries to assess how much you know. 4. Don’t be scared if the first few blocks are more difficult. The real thing is doable. 5. Try not to worry too much afterwards even if you felt weird.

Lastly, enjoy it. I love medicine, although I didn’t get a super high score I still have a good time during the preparation.

Reactions: 8 users

I just want to share my exam experience with folks that are still waiting for the test results.

First of all, I am IMG. And my NBME and UWSA were all ~240, except for Form 7, scored 209 which I took early.

Exam day experience. I was very anxious and couldn’t sleep the night before so I took sleep aids pills which put me into a very light sleep for few hours it also fogged me a little bit. On the exam day, I was ok but not feeling the best. The first 2 blocks were not so difficult, probably 1-2 WTF questions. I still marked out ~15ish to review. Then the 3-4 blocks were significantly harder, also I was feeling more tired. I marked out a lot more than I would hope to review after I finished. Then the rest of the blocks, I felt indifference, I just wanted to pushed through the test. I felt like I was an automatic machine working in reflex.

When finishing it, I don’t know what to make of the exam. I forgot most of the question and my answers already. Everything was a blur. I was asked by families and friends how did I do. I said I don’t know because I really didn’t. Then came the days of waiting for result. The more I think about it, the more I felt I failed. So I was hoping for a pass and was preparing myself for a bad score.

Take home message from my experience. 1. Trust your assessment scores. 2. Difficultly and feeling of the real thing was closest to UWSA2, but not the question style. 3. Listen to Emma Holiday, remember what she said. Step2 doesn’t trick you. It goes for the most straight forward questions. It tries to assess how much you know. 4. Don’t be scared if the first few blocks are more difficult. The real thing is doable. 5. Try not to worry too much afterwards even if you felt weird.

Lastly, enjoy it. I love medicine, although I didn’t get a super high score I still have a good time during the preparation.

thanks a lot for your overview , it's made things cooler .

on the last 3 days prior to the exam , it's better to watch emma lectures or continuing UW questions ??
what your suggestions ?

Emma’s lecture doesn’t take long, I think you can finish it in one day. Good luck!

on the last 3 days prior to the exam , it's better to watch emma lectures or continuing UW questions ??
what your suggestions ?[/QUOTE

what your suggestions ?

Reactions: 1 users
thanks a lot for your overview, it's made things cooler.

on the last 3 days prior to the exam, it's better to watch Emma lectures or continuing UW questions ??
what your suggestions?
"Emma lectures" is a solid choice.

ps:
Took my CK yesterday. It was long and I encountered many WTF questions that I haven't seen before. When I got out of the center, my brain literally shut down.
Btw I don't think it is harder than Uworld as some folks here stated. Trust your USWA1, USWA2 and go for it. Good luck.

Last edited:

Congrats. When I was about to finish my last block and revise the marked questions before time ended, the screen suddenly whited out (1 or 2 seconds left) ... I was panic and called staff, they turned off my computer and rebooted it from their station. It booted up, showed "your testing session for USMLE step 2 CK has ended..." and left me with an unanswered question:
"What if my last block was not submitted ???"

Last edited:
Congrats! Did you use any resources besides UWorld?
I did not. I didn't have a lot of time to study and couldn't even finish UWorld so I def didn't have time to read books or anything. Some people I know used step 2 Secrets but I seriously doubt it adds too much. Just do as much of Uworld as you can but go for quality over quantity. IMO, it's better to 100% understand 70% of the Q's than kinda understand 100%.

Congrats. When I was about to finish my last block and revise the marked questions before time ended, the screen suddenly whited out (1 or 2 seconds left) ... I was panic and called staff, they turned off my computer and rebooted it from their station. It booted up, showed "your testing session for USMLE step 2 CK has ended..." and left me with an unanswered question:
don’t worry, you are fine.
member: 865373"]Congrats. When I was about to finish my last block and revise the marked questions before time ended, the screen suddenly whited out (1 or 2 seconds left) ... I was panic and called staff, they turned off my computer and rebooted it from their station. It booted up, showed "your testing session for USMLE step 2 CK has ended..." and left me with an unanswered question:
"What if my last block was not submitted ???"[/QUOTE]
Don’t

Members don't see this ad :)
don’t worry, you are fine.
member: 865373"]Congrats. When I was about to finish my last block and revise the marked questions before time ended, the screen suddenly whited out (1 or 2 seconds left) ... I was panic and called staff, they turned off my computer and rebooted it from their station. It booted up, showed "your testing session for USMLE step 2 CK has ended..." and left me with an unanswered question:
Don’t[/QUOTE]

Thanks, mate. Let's hope for the best.
My long journey:
- 1st pass: uworld, randomized, <60% overall. I don't know how folks get more than 80% 1st shot. => :( something not right with me and I need to change my strategy.
- Another month going through Onlinemeded videos and qbank, made my own note.
- Uworld 2nd pass (1 month before the test), I did it in the subject-wise mode to grasp a better "picture". Got 62%-83% depending on the block. Overall 67%. What's a shame.

USWA 1 247- 2 days left
USWA 2 240 - 1 day left.
Didn't do any NBME online (I was short on time & just want to get the most out of uworld esp. the questions I got wrong).​

=> GOAL= (240 +247)/2 +- 10.

My test was very close to USWA2.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I did not. I didn't have a lot of time to study and couldn't even finish UWorld so I def didn't have time to read books or anything. Some people I know used step 2 Secrets but I seriously doubt it adds too much. Just do as much of Uworld as you can but go for quality over quantity. IMO, it's better to 100% understand 70% of the Q's than kinda understand 100%.
Congratz alot for such a great achievment
Can u tel me plz i gave my exam 1 week back n i feel i just did 70% correct and remaining im not sure and 20 are confirm wrong wil i drop from 230 how was ur exam experience what u felt after ur exam thanks kindly reply

Hi.. just needed your thoughts on this. Even I graduated almost 6 years back, in 2011. And I did anesthesia residency in home country and completed in 2015. Will my chances reduce? And I'm from India.
Thank you :)
Hi congratz on ur scores im also an img graduated in 2011 guess on the same boat but a bit behind u wil apply next year i also completed my residency in int med in my home country wil like to have ur opinions and ur experience how u are going thru interviews wish u best of luck with interview trails n wana know how u got usce wud be thankful for ur reply

Hi all on my ECFMG oasis account it says "Did not schedule and/or did not take exam " but it does say the result comes out Nov. 16.. Is this just a glitch? On the day of my exam, they had to restart my computer bc of issues with the headphones, which even shortened my break by 15 min.. anyway, is this common for ECFMG not to update the status of the exam? Im a bit worried

Hi all on my ECFMG oasis account it says "Did not schedule and/or did not take exam " but it does say the result comes out Nov. 16.. Is this just a glitch? On the day of my exam, they had to restart my computer bc of issues with the headphones, which even shortened my break by 15 min.. anyway, is this common for ECFMG not to update the status of the exam? Im a bit worried
Hi same here my ecfmg account also says did not schedule or take the exam but my eligibility has expired but on my account it does not mention any specific date but its supposed to be on this wed but how come they mention ur particular date?

Hi everyone,
I took NBME 7 today, I failed ,
Last week I took UWSA 1 got 218, I know it is not a great score, but i didn't expected this fail in NBME.
I did U world twice, did few CMS forms. I don't know where I am lacking . Feeling very devasted.
Guys,please suggest what to do next. Exam is in 3 weeks.
I don't have any chance to extend my date too.
Please suggest.
Thank you.

Hii guys, please need your reply..

Got 262 in UWSA 1, in july..
Unnecessarily delayed the exam due to stupid reasons..

Gave UWSA 2 today, got 250..Planning to take the exam this month.Found UWSA2 similar to UWSA 1 but due to my anxious behavior and some stupid sounds at home, I feel I screwed up a number of questions..

Planning to give the exam by this month end..What can I expect in the real exam???Many are saying its usually the average of UWSA1 and UWSA2..so can I expect 256???

My target is 260.

Any reply would be highly appreciated...Thanks

from what i've seen in this thread so far, people have been saying NBME 7 under predicts. But I took NBME 7 last week and I got a 245, then today I took NBME 4 and I got a 235 :/ anyone else have this experience?? I also got 26 Q wrong on both exams.
I got 245 on nbme 7 and then 239 on nbme 4

Hi same here my ecfmg account also says did not schedule or take the exam but my eligibility has expired but on my account it does not mention any specific date but its supposed to be on this wed but how come they mention ur particular date?

Im not sure, i thought that was very strange too, because the scores usually come out on Wednesday which is the 15th. Lets hope for the best! My eligibility period hasn't expired yet, so im not sure if thats what makes a difference.

So...do scores come out tomorrow? Its always on a wed right? my ecfmg account says Nov. 16. So weird, maybe bc of Veteran's day?

Mine doesn't say this :/ where in your account does it say the 16th?

under the score reporting info.. here is a screen shot

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 9.08.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 9.08.39 PM.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 117
Hii guys, please need your reply..

Got 262 in UWSA 1, in july..
Unnecessarily delayed the exam due to stupid reasons..

Gave UWSA 2 today, got 250..Planning to take the exam this month.Found UWSA2 similar to UWSA 1 but due to my anxious behavior and some stupid sounds at home, I feel I screwed up a number of questions..

Planning to give the exam by this month end..What can I expect in the real exam???Many are saying its usually the average of UWSA1 and UWSA2..so can I expect 256???

My target is 260.

Any reply would be highly appreciated...Thanks

I found UWSA2 (256) more difficult than UWSA1 (260) and CK ended up being 262.

Hey guys, I used this forum for support so I want to pay it back. To start, I took CK on Oct 27th.
My studies consisted of Online Med ED and UWorld: I watched all the OME videos, utilized half the question bank, and read through the OME Quick tables. The bulk of my studying was UWorld, which I did non-timed tutor mode until I finished. It was rough, a lot of work, and I took notes on everything.

I finished UWorld in the beginning of October. I reviewed my notes, which was effectively doing UWorld again. I also reset my Qbank, and started doing it again in timed mode. I decided against taking NBMES; but I did buy 1 IM NBME; but decided against doing anymore due to cost. I then took UWSA1 one week before my exam, reviewed my notes again or watched videos of weak subjects for a refresher. I took UWSA2 one day before my exam (I was going to take CK regardless).

The test itself, to be very honest, did not feel foreign. The content was very much from OME and UWorld. Some questions were tricky, some I convinced myself of the wrong answer (so stupid). But, overall, I felt like OME and UWorld had guided me in the right direction. There were definitely things I did not read about, my test strategy was to pick an answer and move on. By the 4-5th block, I was exhausted, my brain was not functioning as effectively, and I was cutting it super close with time. Before I knew it, it was over.

The last 3 weeks were incredibly depressing. I recalled several questions that I literally knew the answer to, were in my notes from UWorld or I read on OME, but picked the wrong answer. So, I was frustrated with myself. All this talk about 10 point variation, change in the exam itself, etc. contributed to my depression. At some point, I convinced myself that I failed.

So, here are my scores:

UWorld 1st pass on tutor-mode: 69%
UWorld 2nd pass timed-mode: I didn't finish it all, but I was scoring 85%+ on IM and 95% on all other subjects
UWSA1 (1 week before): 240
UWSA2 (1 day before): 240

Step 2CK: 240

All I can say is, I'm incredibly happy with my score. I'm so glad it's over with. I thank you guys for posting on here and hopefully this post can pay it forward to anyone else in need. Bottom line, UWSA was spot on; Trust OME and UWorld in your studies and you will do great!!!

Side notes: I read through MTB Step 2 and Step 3; MTB has a lot of excess information; I stopped using it because there was no way I was going to remember those details. I really felt like OME covered the same content and it stuck better.

Hi evryone thanks to this forum gave me alot of hopes and support while waiting for result
I just received my score step 2ck 252
I used step up to medicine amazing book gave me alot of baseline knowlegde and along with it used mtb 3 and u world thoroughly
Guys the thing i felt that i shud have done was up to date u all must go through up to date for imp guidelines and must see all guideliness from uspstf site especially about cholesterol, all cancer screenings, vaccinations guidelines from cdc site they are really helpful n please must do preventive medicine question in detail because there were so many questions for example A Pt with preeclampsia is given morphine sulphate instead of magnesium sulphate due written orders in form of MS abbreviation by doctor and pt dies so how wil u prevent these kinda things later on........n in the end its all uworld that makes u near perfect for the real exam
Uworld first pass tutor untimed 83% second pass 95% random timed left 500 questions had no tym
Nbme 4 260 nbme 6 254
Real exam: felt really really hard way too hard than i expected. I was very confident that i wil ace this exam but when it started ut really killed my confidence in first two blocks waaoo that was like questions coming from another world of medicine that we never studied but kept going than other blocks felt a bit easy but stil hard had to rush in every block made alot of educated guesses n missed alot of easy questions which i knew it but missed it in a rush n after exam i felt crushed and spent three weeks in alot depressive phase ufff finally got over with it and guys trust i remembered 207 questions when came home and among them i found 25 for sure wrong and other so many that were uncertain but trust this exam is not just about mising questions it tests ur endurance and the way u handle this exam and also depends on other people giving same exam on same day so they give score according to the level of difficulty of this exam so do not wory if u miss 30 questions or so on real exam best of luck for all

Took the exam October 31st and remember a few (7+) easy questions I got wrong, and a bunch (40%) of them that were a 50/50.

UWSA1 (214) 3 wks out
UWSA2 (238) 3 days out

I will be happy with just a passing score. How likely it is that I will pass?

Took the exam October 31st and remember a few (7+) easy questions I got wrong, and a bunch (40%) of them that were a 50/50.

UWSA1 (214) 3 wks out
UWSA2 (238) 3 days out

Hi its not just about only mising questions because i missed 25 questions for sure which i found wrong and so many other uncertain n i stil got 252 so just relax n trust it u wil get ur score above 240 as ur uwsa 2 is 238 so trust it

I took the exam 2 days ago. Tbh, it was horrible for me. People have compared the level of difficulty of the real deal with UWSA2 but I felt my exam was more difficult because I marked way more that I expected. Ethics and Psychiatry questions were out of this world. I kept wondering what the psychiatry professors who wrote the questions were thinking. Why do they always have to make there questions so long? Worse is after reading the long vignette, I still had to narrow down the options to 2 or 3. I felt like +pissed+ when I read those questions. Even after the exam, I still can't figure out the answers to those questions. I remembered some questions that I failed after the exam even before leaving the test centre. Those were some easy questions I could've gotten right on another day. I don't really know what I was thinking that made me choose those wrong options. For the past 2 days, I've been devastated. I have remembered about 200 questions and over 30 of which I am sure that I failed and tons I am not sure of, including those wtf ethics questions. I had to randomly guess on the 3 research abstract questions. Although I had about 6mins to read the abstract and answer the questions but I couldn't understand anything. I was never really pressed for time but it didn't make any sense anyway when I had to choose between two seemingly correct options most of the time.
I stalked this forum a lot and I must admit it helped me. So for those yet to take the test, glance through patient safety and quality improvement. I read mine in Kaplan and it's a shame I couldn't finish a 15 page topic.
These were my practice scores:

Uworld Qbank: 79% 1st pass, 93% 2nd pass (90% completed in the last 3weeks)
UWSA 1: 258 5wks out
UWSA 2: 258 1wk out
Free 120: 83% 2 days out... Was shocked cos I felt they were relatively easy.
Step 1: 250+ (taken a while back)

I may have to start some SSRI in 2 weeks time if I continue feeling this way... I am depressed!:cryi: I don't know but I feel I bumped this exam already.
And please, your support will be helpful.

I took the exam 2 days ago. Tbh, it was horrible for me. People have compared the level of difficulty of the real deal with UWSA2 but I felt my exam was more difficult because I marked way more that I expected. Ethics and Psychiatry questions were out of this world. I kept wondering what the psychiatry professors who wrote the questions were thinking. Why do they always have to make there questions so long? Worse is after reading the long vignette, I still had to narrow down the options to 2 or 3. I felt like +pissed+ when I read those questions. Even after the exam, I still can't figure out the answers to those questions. I remembered some questions that I failed after the exam even before leaving the test centre. Those were some easy questions I could've gotten right on another day. I don't really know what I was thinking that made me choose those wrong options. For the past 2 days, I've been devastated. I have remembered about 200 questions and over 30 of which I am sure that I failed and tons I am not sure of, including those wtf ethics questions. I had to randomly guess on the 3 research abstract questions. Although I had about 6mins to read the abstract and answer the questions but I couldn't understand anything. I was never really pressed for time but it didn't make any sense anyway when I had to choose between two seemingly correct options most of the time.
I stalked this forum a lot and I must admit it helped me. So for those yet to take the test, glance through patient safety and quality improvement. I read mine in Kaplan and it's a shame I couldn't finish a 15 page topic.

I may have to start some SSRI in 2 weeks time if I continue feeling this way... I am depressed!:cryi: I don't know but I feel I bumped this exam already.
Thanks for sharing!! you will definitely get a good score!! all the best.

Despite scoring 260+ on both USWA1 and one NBME practice test, I knew the exam was going to be hard. But the real one was out of this world. I felt the exact same way walking out of the testing center. Took my exam in late Oct, had very hard blocks in the beginning. Walked out of the exam feeling like my brain was not functioning so I got many of the easy questions wrong and could not figure out any of the more challenging questions. Finger crossed that we will both receive the score we deserve.

Despite scoring 260+ on both USWA1 and one NBME practice test, I knew the exam was going to be hard. But the real one was out of this world. I felt the exact same way walking out of the testing center. Took my exam in late Oct, had very hard blocks in the beginning. Walked out of the exam feeling like my brain was not functioning so I got many of the easy questions wrong and could not figure out any of the more challenging questions. Finger crossed that we will both receive the score we deserve.

Just remember that everyone feels this way on test day and the curve will reflect that. I got a ~82% on UWorld, ~260s on both UWSA's - I took the real thing very recently and also felt like I failed. Then again I felt that way after Step 1 too! I think we'll all get the scores we want soon.

Finally got my scores back for USMLE and COMLEX!

USMLE Step 2: 250+
COMLEX Level 2: 670-700

Wish I improved more on the USMLE but overall I'm very happy with my scores. Thanks again SDN for all the support and advice. Good luck to everyone who has yet to take the exam and feel free to message me with any questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Finally got my final scores back for USMLE and COMLEX!

USMLE Step 2: 250+
COMLEX Level 2: 670-700

Wish I improved more on the USMLE but overall I'm very happy with my scores. Thanks again SDN for all the support and advice. Good luck to everyone who has yet to take the exam and feel free to message me with any questions.
how did you feel coming out of the exam?

Coming out of the USMLE I actually felt pretty decent. I think it was a fair exam and for the most part tested information 3-4 year medical students should know. Studying throughout 3rd year for rotations definitely made me feel more at ease and confident while taking the exam - from my experience step 1 was slightly more challenging than 2.

how did you feel coming out of the exam?

Last edited:
Last week, @Infin!ty posted that NBME 8 is now available. Did you, @Infin!ty, or anyone else take it? If so, I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
Yes, I did take it. The test I thought was fair and comparable to the other NBMEs. That being said, my score did drop 11 points from NBME 4 haha. Let me know if there's anything in specific you were wondering abt! To give you a better idea abt the comparability, I guess here's how things have been looking:

NBME 7 (4 weeks out): 222
NBME 4 (2.5 weeks out): 252
NBME 8 (1.5 weeks out): 241
UWSA 2 (1 week out): 249

Test on Saturday, prayers much appreciated!

Also, just wanted to say a quick heartfelt thank you to everyone for their contributions/insights on this forum--as a regular stalker who never posts haha, and is finally posting, just wanted to say THANKS!

Last edited:

UWSA1 (214) 3 wks out
UWSA2 (238) 3 days out

220s passed! Close to my UWSA average.

Thanks, mate. Let's hope for the best.
My long journey:
- 1st pass: uworld, randomized, <60% overall. I don't know how folks get more than 80% 1st shot. => :( something not right with me and I need to change my strategy.
- Another month going through Onlinemeded videos and qbank, made my own note.
- Uworld 2nd pass (1 month before the test), I did it in the subject-wise mode to grasp a better "picture". Got 62%-83% depending on the block. Overall 67%. What's a shame.

USWA 1 247- 2 days left
USWA 2 240 - 1 day left.
Didn't do any NBME online (I was short on time & just want to get the most out of uworld esp. the questions I got wrong).​

=> GOAL= (240 +247)/2 +- 10.

My test was very close to USWA2.[/QUOTE]

Low 230s. I am not so happy as they stated the mean score is 242 now...