usmle rules

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

COMPTX

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm MD/PhD in Europe (France)
I'd like to do a clinical fellowship in transplantation and would like to know if it is necessary to pass all steps (1,2 and 3) to get the USMLE when we are already MD/PhD? In particular, is step 1 inevitable with such a background?
Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

COMPTX said:
Hi,
I'm MD/PhD in Europe (France)
I'd like to do a clinical fellowship in transplantation and would like to know if it is necessary to pass all steps (1,2 and 3) to get the USMLE when we are already MD/PhD? In particular, is step 1 inevitable with such a background?
Thank you,

Unless you are receive a licensure exemption in recognition of "Eminence in Medical Practice Education or Practice" OR are "Appointed to a Medical School Faculty" in a state that allows for these exemptions (See http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/14521.html ), you will need to take all three steps of the USMLE for licensure.

Note also that the exemptions are intended for limited licensure within university hospitals. In order to practice independently, one needs to complete the regular pathways to licensure. This includes the USMLEs and post-graduate training (residency) in the US.

can someone tell me if we can write the USMLE part 1 in dublin, and when the exam takes place?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you can take the USMLE in Dublin, I think the only prometric site is at DCU. I don't know specific dates, you have to call the number provided by prometric (once you've registered for Step I) and arrange it yourself.

thanks so much, we have been ringing places and no one could give us a direct answer!

this might change soon, actually. Apparently the prometric testing sites are being taken over by the NBME using the FLEX system. There still should be a place in Dublin to take it (probably still DCU). I'll keep everyone posted.