US Fellowship for European

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlexandarVderW

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am MD and I am doing my residency in my country, Netherlands.
My question is:
Could I start fellowship somewhere in American research university, without doing extra 3year residency there?
or it is necessary to get USMLE? If yes, which commission will validate mine foreign residency?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!
Yes you can start doing your fellowship in the USA. And yes, you have to validate your residency by an American commission.
Before you will apply you have to prepare really good personal statement and letter of recommendation!

Hello!
Yes you can start doing your fellowship in the USA. And yes, you have to validate your residency by an American commission.
Before you will apply you have to prepare really good personal statement and letter of recommendation!
Thanks!
Can you say me more about guideline. What kind of docs I have to prepare? How will I validate mine residency and how to write good personal statement and letter of recommendation for pediatric fellowship?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!
I am MD and I am doing my residency in my country, Netherlands.
My question is:
Could I start fellowship somewhere in American research university, without doing extra 3year residency there?
or it is necessary to get USMLE? If yes, which commission will validate mine foreign residency?

Thank you in advance!

It depends on what specialty you are currently in... Without the base US training you would not be board eligible and that will make some programs not want to have you as it would make their board pass rates look worse than normal.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks!
Can you say me more about guideline. What kind of docs I have to prepare? How will I validate mine residency and how to write good personal statement and letter of recommendation for pediatric fellowship?
It depends on school you have chosen for your fellowship. You can try to check these infographic about pediatric fellowships ( facts about pediatric fellowships ), where are some tips on writing personal statements.
Hope it will help you!

Reactions: 1 user
Oh thank you very much for your answers! So I will do base US training before applying to pediatric cardiology fellowship program. So any thoughts about writing personal statement for pediatric cardiology fellowship and how to join it?

Hello!

Is it possible to complete a fellowship (for example, in Allergy and Immunology) in the US, after having completed Internal Medicine in Europe (Spain, for example)?

Hello!

Is it possible to complete a fellowship (for example, in Allergy and Immunology) in the US, after having completed Internal Medicine in Europe (Spain, for example)?
As we discussed it above, yes it is possible, but a pretty hard and you have to be really attentive, when you are applying for a fellowship in USA. But question is what should we do...
I have asked a question about pediatrics fellowship personal statement http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...personal-statement-for-us-fellowship.1195274/
that I need to write for my application. I hope I will get some tips from forum members, who have completed such... If you know some, please, write I need to write really good PS.