USMLE Step 3 Requirement as a DO at ACGME IM Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stedari

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a DO and PGY3 in an ACGME Internal Medicine set to graduate in 06/2018. Our administration just informed us that USMLE Step 3 will be a requirement for graduation and that COMLEX Level 3 is not sufficient. As with the other DOs in my class, I am not eligible for USMLE Step 3 as I didn't take USMLE Step 2 CS. Also, admission to our residency did not require USMLE Step 2 CS which seems inconsistent with this new requirement. I am pretty sure our program's administration is in the wrong and I am working on building a case as to why this requirement is not necessary and inconsistent with licensure requirements.

DO any other ACGME IM programs require USMLE Step 3? And is anyone able to mention specific ACGME IM programs which allow passing of COMLEX 3 alone? Lastly, any other thoughts or concerns I should mention at this meeting? I would like to bring this information and a list of programs and these concerns to my administrations attention.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's institution dependent and have never heard of a program requiring Step 3 for DOs. Here are a few programs I found that specifically say COMLEX Level 3 is sufficient.

Dartmouth
Medical Licensing (USMLE/COMLEX) Policy | Policies & Procedures | Residents & Fellows | Dartmouth-Hitchcock

Baylor
Admissions

UF
http://gme.med.ufl.edu/files/2011/12/Medical-Licensure-USMLE-or-COMPLEX-Examination-Policy.pdf

MUSC
Appointment of Residents

Minnesota (Last reviewed 2013)
GME Policy: Completion of Step 3 of the Appropriate Licensing Exam (USMLE, COMLEX)

The Minnesota Medical Board also lists the COMLEX series as acceptable for licensure.
https://mn.gov/boards/assets/MNPYAppPacketJan10-2016_tcm21-36587.pdf

I didn't see anything about this in the ACGME common core requirements. They only refer to completion of USMLE Step 3, if eligible, for admission into fellowship programs.
Common Program Requirements

What a nightmare. It's clear they are in the wrong, but whether you can help that is up for debate.

Reactions: 1 user