USMLE timeline for students studying in india

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent1013

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, for those of you who have completed your 5 year programs in india/caribbean/other....i have some questions since i am clueless on how to get started, any help would be much appreciated!!!

1) when did u take ur USMLE step 1 and 2..specifically after which year the program and around wat time

2)what did u use to prepare for the steps

3) where did u do ur internship and how, if you did it in america

4) do u have any other advice/tips to help me stay ahead and in general

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an IMG from South Asia. I just graduated myself, so haven't actually done anything really yet...but I can give you my own presumed timeline as an example.

I graduated in mid-December (a couple of weeks ago), and have been relaxing up until now. My USMLE process will begin in late Jan:

late Jan: USMLE Step 2 CS

mid Feb: start prep for USMLE Step 1. I plan on using Kaplan lecture notes, with some other books/videos added in here and there (RR Pathology, HY Neuroanatomy, Beh Sci videos by Kaplan, etc).

early-mid Jul: take my Step 1 exam

mid-Jul: Start Step 2 CK prep immediately following Step 1 exam...again, using Kaplan lecture notes primarily w/ some videos.

Sep: take my Step 2 CK exam; apply for 2010 Match