USMLE World Scores and Step II Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmh14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably been discussed before, but can't find a recent thread....

I'm just curious about what scores people were getting on USMLE World, and then how you ended up doing on Step 2.

All you have to do is post two numbers...... :)

Thanks folks, and good luck with everything!!

Members don't see this ad.

Took it 8/6 and the permit link is gone. Does that really mean I would get scores on Wednesday? Seems too fast - it would only be like 2.5 weeks at that point

Took the test 8/19.

As for background, I got a 260 on Step 1, which felt easier to study for: 8 weeks of memorize everything from First Aid and UWorld. Throughout 3 year, I got 3 honors and 3 A's. Mid-upper 90's on all shelfs except for Psychiatry (78th percentile).

I was initially planning to take Step 2 at the end of the three weeks between 3rd and fourth year, reviewing IM MTB2 and non-IM MTB3 and second run through with UWorld. However I received some advise that taking EM prior to Step 2 can be beneficial. I thought I was going to have more time over this rotation to also get some studying in (15 shifts over 30 days leaves plenty of time right? wrong.) So I ended up not getting any Step 2 studying done over those 4 weeks, but got plenty of EM in so I had no concerns on that part of Step 2. Was also thinking it would help me out on any trauma questions but all of my trauma questions were simple.

Anyways, first run through Uworld 78%, second run through 83% (widely fluctuant based on how tired/motivated I was, just trying to get through the questions). Got through MTB2 IM and the areas of MTB3 that I felt weaker in. Largely I read for review and tried to memorize things that were not familiar. I didn't focus on things that I felt good with or were covered by UWorld (e.g. MTB3 advised to get a urine cx for pediatric uti's to ensure resolution, where UWorld states they are not needed given adequate Abx coverage and symptomatic resolution).

I took the day before the test entirely off, figuring I will know the things I know, work through the things that I can work through, and thats the best I can do. I also stocked up on enough snacks/sandwiches/caffeinated and non-caffeinated beverages to get me through the day.

As for the test. Given my motto, I wasn't the least bit surprised to mark about 25% of each test block. Some stuff you just have to chuckle at how obscure or insignificant it is, make up something and move on. I also saw on the forums that the drug advertisement questions really disrupt the flow of the test, so I decided to skip each of those on my initial run through and save 5 minutes or so at the end to go through it. I can definitely see how they're disruptive because there isnt a lot of reasoning involved, more of a 'Where's Waldo' of small text across 2 pages.

However, this may have worked because I have no problem getting through sets quickly, all in all I had ~8-10 minutes to review things for each set. If I didn't get something right away I would spend about 30 more seconds looking over the question to see if I missed something, go with my best hunch and hope that a quick second look at the end would provide some more insight. But thats just test taking stuff.

At the end of the day I was just so excited to be done with Step 2 (and thus third year, finally) that I wasnt really worried about how I did on the test. We will find out come Sept 25th if I should have taken it more seriously or not.

Actual Score: 265

Only extra comments were that Psych and OBGYN were my lowest sections and were the last two rotations for me, and I was mentally exhausted from the year by then. Which highlights, for me at least, that doing well throughout the year is the most important thing you can do for Step 2.

Took the test yesterday; to be honest, I don't feel too hot

NBME 6 (before I started studying): 233
NBME 4 (1 week before ): 265
UWorld (5 days before): 259

UWorld first pass: 71%
Second pass: 79% (my first rotation was IM, so I hadn't seen 1300+ of the questions in over a year)

I used SUS2, Secretes, UWorld, and Med Education Online. I studied for three-and-a-half weeks.

Here are some of my thoughts

1. Contrary to other posters, I do not believe the sky is falling because the question pool is currently being reworked. My test was hard, but so were the two NBMEs I took, as were the actual Step 2 exams my classmates took in June/July

2. The stems on the test are not longer. It takes me 45 minutes to do 44 questions in UWorld, and it took me 45 minutes to do 44 question on the exam.

3. My drug ads were easier than UWorld

4. It is true that auscultation questions will allow you to move the stethoscope to different spots, but they are not trying to trick you

5. Like many other have said, there were A LOT of questions where I could narrow it down to two options. There were also a handful of questions where I had NO idea what they were asking. I had a few questions that required you to identify disease X, and then you had to identify the enzyme responsible (hello, Step 1). To me, what was most difficult was when you were able to identify a disease in the prompt, but the name of the disease wasn't an answer option. Instead, you had to choose the best description of the disease process (FML). So, basically, I'm not too optimistic: I don't think I failed, but I definitely got my butt kicked. The only thing that makes this worse is that I have to wait until mid/late September to get my scores. Ugh

6. To those of you who haven't taken the test, my advice is to relax. You either know it or you don't, and on the test day, your ability to use your judgment is going to be waaaayyyy more important than knowing an endless amount of minutia.

The mean on my test was a 238 with a SD of 19. I almost **** a brick because I looked at my performance bars before my score. On the practice exams, they were all up to the right, but on my score report, they were a little out. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Took this beast yesterday.

I don't even know what to think. I would have 10 questions in a row where I was confident in my answer then 3 questions which were "wtf."

Several heart sounds. Several images. Unlike step 1 you really couldn't answer the question without knowing the image or the sound.

Timing was an issue. Most of the question stem were pretty long.

As far as prep:
Went through the 20 kaplan comprehensive cases. (maybe got be an additional 5-10 questions right at max)
Read approx. 1/2 of MTB 2/ watched the high yield videos associated with it. (about equiv with secrets)
Read secrets at least 3-4 times. (meh, it helped but wasn't the silver bullet I was hoping for)
uworld twice (best resource hands down)

My pre study nbme was a 244. Honestly I'd be happy with anything above a 240.

I missed at least a dozen questions because I fell for a dumb trick answer. I don't feel like I did this on my practice nbme.

Final score: 253.

While this is not epic by SDN standards I had a step 1 of 199.

I am happy with my 54 point improvement.

Reactions: 1 user
These boards were instrumental in helping me since my Step 1 prep and I did a little write up for that. Again with Step 2 these boards were great for giving me some guidance. I'm an IMG so didn't have much for guidance except for these boards.

Total prep time was 3 months. Step 1 score was 244.
UWORLD first pass was 72%, I think I completed 80% of it again at 91%.
Books MTB for Step 2 for all IM subjects. MTB 3 for Surgery/Peds/ObGyn/Psychiatry. Biostats I used my Step 1 Kaplan LN. I did have the Kaplan LN and quickly browsed through them, ObGyn seemed real good. I went through Pestanos surgery vignettes in his Kaplan LN as well.

I don't remember what scores match with which NBME but it was something like 4 weeks out 237, 3 weeks out 244, 2 weeks out 244 again I believe, and 1 week out UWSA was 254.

Exam day was brutal. I'm all mentally prepped to go zooming through MCQ's and just survive the 9 hours of hell. NBME had other plans. First 3 questions of block 1 a medical passage with 3 question :p. Totally threw me off my game and I wasted so much time on it. My advice would be(like someone mentioned above) leave them for the end. Block 2 was especially difficult I remember having a near panic attack and developing a headache that early on. Walked out feeling awful which is the first time in my medical career that has happened. I usually am confident in my preparation and just know that I know enough to do well, this exam was different but I believe that is a common trend for Step 2 CK. Ended up with a 259 on CK, took it August 8th. Good luck to future test takers!

Step 1: 260
Step 2: 255

Was aiming for >240.
Uworld completed once as studying for rotations/shelves. Took 3 weeks off for studying for CK and CS. Probably ended up studying for 11 or so days total for CK(took CS in the middle of studying). took an nbme practice prior to studying and was like 230ish. Got through 50ish% of uworld second time around. Also read through the majority of step 2 secrets. Took the uworld practice test for a 253.

By far the most helpful studying was the studying done for the rotations throughout the year. The 11 days more served as a kick start to get back into the question answering mood after spending a month on a AI rotation.

step 1: 269

UWorld done through year with clerkships: 83%
2nd time through Uworld during 2.5 week study: 92%

NBME 6 (2 weeks before exam) 700/279
NBME 4 (3 days before exam) 720/283

Test day: 8/6/2013 - Overall felt like Uworld but longer, like I would see similar questions but that just add in 50% more bullcrap extraneous information to wear you down. Seemed significantly harder than NBMEs, but we'll see how I feel when I get the score. By the last section I was worn down and couldn't think clearly through a super long abstract and some other questions and felt like I was just sort of guessing. I guess maybe that happens to a lot of people though, I don't know. Just glad to have it done either way.

Step 2 Ck actual: 273

Took less than 3 wks to get my score

That is fantastic, be proud!

So I haven't been around for a while but figured I'd share my ck experience because this forum has helped me a lot over the years. Super long post!

Got my score today. 264. I'm pumped.

Studied for 4 weeks 5 days exactly ;) for this beast. Took it Aug 31st, I had to take it because my permit was expiring, I would have pushed it back if I could have but I'm glad I didn't. Starting out I did about 5 hours of good studying a day, bumped it up to like 7 -10 good hours the last 2 weeks. I read other people's study guides online looking for guidance but was totally overwhelmed by the amount of studying that people did and the amount of resources they used. That was compared to friends that were like 'nobody studies for step 2, just do qbank' I just did what I felt would be most helpful and went with qbank and the resources my boyfriend had from his step 2 experience and book buying. This ended being UWorld qbank, FA CK and Secrets. I wanted to use Boards and Wards (which was the only resource I used during 3rd year, I am a huge fan) but I ran out of time. I changed my study plan like 10 times but I will outline what I actually did.

Background:

Baseline, I don't really study. Can't seem to make it happen unless the hammer is falling and I feel imminent danger. I did maybe like 150 q's total of UWorld during 3rd year even though the school had purchased the qbank for us. (I felt bad about this) And crammed the day or two before shelf's from Boards and Wards as mentioned. Excellent book. Did well on my shelf exams.

Got a 251 on Step 1 after 8 weeks studying (3 weeks part time, 5 weeks full time studying).

Study schedule for CK:

Started by doing UWorld Sim exam - got a 214 I think. Felt ok about this.

I then read through all of First Aid CK - took me 15 days. I needed a general review of everything. I did some q bank here and there during this, but not very much, maybe got through about 200 questions.

Then Q bank. I realized I would need to do like 200 questions a day for ten days to get through it. This was a very painful experience :/ I was able to do 4 full blocks a day until the end then finished the spillover. My eyes and brain were burning bad during this. I did timed tutor at the beginning, some mixed, some subject specific blocks, and then mixed timed for the second half. Average for whole qbank was 71%. Big range of % corrects per block, from like 50% to 90%. usually around 75% it felt like.
Somewhere in the middle of q banking, like 2 weeks before my test I took Form 6 CCSSA and got a 238. This form was not at all like the real thing, I read after that this was not the best form to take.

When I finished qbank I had like 6 days left. I had wanted to re-read all of FA and q bank answers and Secrets and Boards and wards but realized I didn't have time near enough at all for this. What I chose to do was take 3 days and read Secrets because I had heard good things. This felt like reading a romance novel after hard core q-banking. Some good info though.

My last 3 days I reread as much of the q bank as I could, got through about 2000 q's. Basically just reading the answer and the parts I had highlighted. I stopped at like 8:30pm the night before my test.

Exam experience:

I have been dealing with the awesome insomnia/anxiety combo for a long time now, test day was no different. The night before the test I took 15 mg of Ambien and still couldn't sleep. Got up and cried from like 3:30 to 5am. Ha. Got some support from my beau. Rested and then got up. My test was like an hour away and at 8am so I had to be out early. I felt like **** but I was like 'this is happening, get it together.' I get panic attacks so I have to take klonopin in stressful situations, I have a history of really bad timing with these so I took some before I went in and then more half way through. I was so sedated with the combination drugs/not sleeping that I legit could not keep my eyes open and was like dozing at periods during the exam. Ughhh. It sucked. Just tried to sit there and get through it.

The test itself was very challenging. Not as bad as my step 1 experience but very tough. Long, challenging question stems. Very very few short discrete questions. When I would do Uworld blocks I would finish a good ten minutes early always but on the real thing I was struggling with time, I think 2 blocks I actually ran out of time and had to guess on the last couple. A LOT of the questions were super vague. I felt like it was testing my reasoning ability more than my medical knowledge. There were a few things that were tested that I had seen third year by chance but didn't come across in FA, UWorld or secrets. Very different that UWorld in my opinion. Maybe 1/2 or 2/3 were similar and 1/2 to1/3 were these weird vague super long joints. Not like I had never seem questions like that but I had to keep re-reading questions, maybe this was also a function of being so tired, they seemed not to have a clear right answer. I had a set of 3 drug ad questions on every block I think. I was just glad to be done when it was over, felt like my score could be very low or very high, had no idea. I don't think more studying would have helped. I was glad that I just took it even though I wanted to move it. When I got home the only questions I could remember were these two basic discrete ID questions, both of which I got wrong. I didn't feel good about it overall.

Overall Impression:

I guess my study method worked. I wish I could wholeheartedly back a resource but I don't think there is a silver bullet for step 2. I did like FA CK even though it gets a bad reputation. I felt like it was a really good general review and wish I could have gone back over it. I never looked at any other general review book to compare. Secrets was pretty basic after all the studying I had done but was good to remind me a few key things. Definitely not sufficient for general review. Nothing on the test was like 'I've seen this before from ___.' which had kind of been my experience with step one qbank. Uworld has so many minor details, the probability of them being tested is low for the time it takes to try to absorb it all. I think it did definitely help with reasoning skills which seemed like half the battle on the real thing. Not as enthusiastic about Uworld qbank as most people seem to be.

Good luck to all!! I'm happy to answer questions :) Thank god this is over!!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely possible to make a big improvement. Good luck!

Last edited:
Took Step 2 today...**** that was hard. more on that..

Uworld first pass - 69%
Uworld second pass - didn't finish all the way but was getting high 70s/low 80s
UWSA 2 weeks out: 230
NBME 4 1 week out: 245
NMBE 6 a few days out: 225 - started to panic here lol
Did free 150 2 days before as a confidence boost: 90% / 247 according to some estimator I found on google

Real thing: Was really hard. I thought it was similar to the really difficult parts of Uworld. I had a LOT of ob/gyn. And a LOT of peds too. The biostats was definitely hard, those drug ads were such a waste of time. I'm glad I saved them for the end. Anyways there was just a ton of stuff I wasn't sure about...I had at least 15 qs marked in every block, and I didn't necessarily have time left to go back through them again. I felt like for a good chunk of questions I could always narrow it down to 2 answers and then it was just a crapshoot. Oh well, nothing I can do about it now, I guess.

Looking back, I wish I hadn't reset Uworld because I didn't have enough time to go through it again anyways. I should have just gone through my marked and incorrects from my 1st run.

Will update when I get my score back.

239! I'm happy with my score. Did better than my step 1 too (232).
Here are my stats: Carib IMG from one of the big 4/US citizen. 3.56 GPA

My advice for everyone: UWORLD UWORLD UWORLD. And test-taking strategies. This exam is longer than step 1, and I found the questions to be slightly trickier. You need to work on answering questions very quickly and not be distracted by irrelevant info in the question stem.

Reactions: 1 user
Just wanted to say, even though everyone says UWSA is really predictive of your score, that's not necessarily true. I got a 230 six days before my test and a 251 on the real thing. I was ecstatic, since this was a pretty big jump, plus a TON better than my Step 1 score.

Last edited:
234 on Step 1

265 on Step 2!!!!

I was absolutely shocked by my score, took NBME 6 10 days before the exam and scored a 250, but a week before that i had scored a 228 on NBME 4.

did USMLE WORLD X1 and DIT X2 with some reading out of MTB2

Step 1: 239
Step 2: 252

I thought I got throttled walking out of the exam. But a great sigh of relief with this score.

Uworld Avg; 70%
Step 2 CS: 254

Went through all the UWorld questions during 3rd year rotations, then reset the Qbank. Did DIT in 2 weeks then a week of nothing but Uworld.

Most important strategy point: spend the day before the exam golfing. I've done it the day before MCAT, Step 1, and Step 2 CK and it's never let me down.

Uworld Qbank (one time through no repeats): 72%
Uworld paid practice test (3 weeks before): 233
NBME 6 (2 weeks before): 237
USMLE free test (1wk before): 224
NBME 4 (3 days before the test): 258

Actual Step 2 CK score: 251

what i did:
total study time: 4 weeks
read through step 2 secrets twice (once throughout the month, once the week leading up to test)
First Aid - through once
Kaplan videos - all x 1, while writing notes into my first aid book
one practice test per week
Qbank through once while writing notes on questions that were hard - and read through all the notes the 2 days before the test

But I think what helped me the most was that I finished doing all my study things about with still one week to go. so i spent that whole week going over specific topics that I needed work on.
My step 1 score was 197, so obviously very excited about my step 2 score!

Uworld Qbank (one time through no repeats): 72%
Uworld paid practice test (3 weeks before): 233
NBME 6 (2 weeks before): 237
USMLE free test (1wk before): 224
NBME 4 (3 days before the test): 258

Actual Step 2 CK score: 251

what i did:
total study time: 4 weeks
read through step 2 secrets twice (once throughout the month, once the week leading up to test)
First Aid - through once
Kaplan videos - all x 1, while writing notes into my first aid book
one practice test per week
Qbank through once while writing notes on questions that were hard - and read through all the notes the 2 days before the test

But I think what helped me the most was that I finished doing all my study things about with still one week to go. so i spent that whole week going over specific topics that I needed work on.
My step 1 score was 197, so obviously very excited about my step 2 score!

Awesome improvement! Looks like a few of us made sizable improvements.

Damn I feel so lost...exam is next July or so and starting to prep already. I harass link2swim06 in gchat 24/7 on what to do to break a 260. I feel like there's no direction for step 2.

Sucks that the hospital I'm at I don't learn anything. I don't want to do UW questions, especially when I don't m is which materials to use before starting the qbank. Atleast for step 1 I knew that reading FA before starting UW would be beneficial.

Damn I feel so lost...exam is next July or so and starting to prep already. I harass link2swim06 in gchat 24/7 on what to do to break a 260. I feel like there's no direction for step 2.

Sucks that the hospital I'm at I don't learn anything. I don't want to do UW questions, especially when I don't m is which materials to use before starting the qbank. Atleast for step 1 I knew that reading FA before starting UW would be beneficial.

If you want to break 260, the best thing you can do right now is study your ass off for your shelf exams (uworld + 1 review book per subject works for most exams). Why do you think you are not learning anything at your hospital?

I thought I would be getting my score this week but my scheduling permit is still there today. What about you guys?

My scheduling permit just disappeared. Took the exam 09/08. Good luck everyone!!

rocketbooster , When did you take it? Think this one is until 9/13
Mine just disappeared.goodluck everyone :luck:

Last edited:
Hey guys... Planning to give step 2 in a couple of months.. I'm a bit iffy on EKGs... is UW good enough to learn them or should I be using another source? UW doesn't explain the bundle branch blocks or the axis deviations but it goes through the main ones.. do we need to know this for the exam? Which source do you recommend if we do? Thanks and good luck to everyone xo.

Hey guys... Planning to give step 2 in a couple of months.. I'm a bit iffy on EKGs... is UW good enough to learn them or should I be using another source? UW doesn't explain the bundle branch blocks or the axis deviations but it goes through the main ones.. do we need to know this for the exam? Which source do you recommend if we do? Thanks and good luck to everyone xo.

You really shouldn't need that much detail for CK. Know how to recognize basic things--ST changes, v-tach/fib, afib, aflutter, 1st/2nd/3rd degree av block, WPW, torsades, q waves

You really shouldn't need that much detail for CK. Know how to recognize basic things--ST changes, v-tach/fib, afib, aflutter, 1st/2nd/3rd degree av block, WPW, torsades, q waves

I had 3 or 4 EKG questions and they all involved things mentioned here.

Step 1: 235
UW: Maybe low 70's. Hard to say for sure because I cheated regularly. When I was doing poorly, my confidence would drop and my stress level would rise, so I couldn't study as effectively. To combat this, I would knowingly cheat and raise my score which helped my psyche.

Study method: Did extra reading during the year. FA for psych was great. Blue Prints for OB/GYN, cover to cover--it wasn't detailed but included everything you needed for step/shelves. Did UW during the year. Got mid 70's to mid 80's on the shelves.

Took 4 weeks off to study. I spent about 8 hrs/day, 6-7 days/wk. Took 3 extra days off for CS. I went through UW and wrote down every single detail that I didn't know into a notebook. Then I went through the notebook and memorized it.

Coming out of the test, I felt awful. There were lots and lots of soft calls, where I felt multiple answers could be correct. There was a weird drug ad and I had no f*cking clue what the answers were (3 questions!). I literally felt sick to my stomach coming out of the test. I figured I probably got in the low 220's. When the final score was released, I thought I'd pass out with nerves.

Final score: 262. Whoooo hooooo! I have no idea how that happened, but hey, I'll take it!

I took it 9/9 and the scheduling permit link is gone :O

Does the link to print the permit disappear or the permit itself when you're about to get your score the following Wed? My link is still there but when I click on it, it says I have either already taken the exam or am not registered or something like that. Basically, while the link is there, I can no longer access my permit. Does this mean I should expect my score this coming Wed?

Does the link to print the permit disappear or the permit itself when you're about to get your score the following Wed? My link is still there but when I click on it, it says I have either already taken the exam or am not registered or something like that. Basically, while the link is there, I can no longer access my permit. Does this mean I should expect my score this coming Wed?

The link itself on the top left of the website will disappear. It will also disappear from the exam status page.

Took the test on 9/27, permit link is gone, but the link at the upper left is still there (have yet to take 2cs, but am scheduled). Does this mean the score is coming this Wed? Seems awfully fast (little less than 2 weeks turnaround). Anyone have any insight?

Took the test on 9/27, permit link is gone, but the link at the upper left is still there (have yet to take 2cs, but am scheduled). Does this mean the score is coming this Wed? Seems awfully fast (little less than 2 weeks turnaround). Anyone have any insight?

I am assuming you mean you click the link and the permit says not available. I just checked mine from 9/17 and the links are still there but it says this. Therefore I would say no the results as of now are not coming out.

//Edit//
I guess you're talking about the CS portion and not the CK. I am talking about CK.

Last edited:
Is it likely that scores for the wk of 9/16-9/20 will come out this Wed? Took my exam on 9/19 and I just want to know already! :(.

i hardly ever post on here. this is solid work. great job on crushing the more applicable test to clinical practice. that's going to change a lot of minds about your app. :thumbup: