Usmle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

endosmoke

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, just wondering for those who have taken USMLE step 1, what books did you find useful in achieving your high mark? :)

kaplan USMLE home study books - 4 volumes
Kaplan USMLE step 1 lecture notes - 8 books
Qbank
USMLE first aid 2007
Board review series for physio and path

which of those are the best combo? or any other books that i have forgotten (i am sure i have, but i think those are the most popular ones?)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi endosmoke,

I found what helped for me was thoroughly know Robbins Pathology (Basic not the Pathological Basis of disease) cover to cover helped me the most. All the path q's on the exam just jumped out at me after knowing that book. I was also first honors throughout the year in all 7 preclincal subjects.

After that I read most of my old notes from RCSI I hand wrote. This came in very handy from RCSI's rigurous anatomy program.

I did not use any other "review books" other than First Aid 2002 and 2004.

My mark was a 233 after 3 months of 10-12 hour study days.

thats all you used RCSI notes? i find that RCSI notes not to be very good.... not even the anatomy... in fact baby moore and basic pathology is really good... micro made ridiculously simple was good. Ive done really well at rcsi myself 1st class ... but i feel that i should be using something else like qbank and others that i mentioned above.. and how did you study for it... by systems or by subject? (ie. biochem, or by cardiovascular etc..) what pharm book did you use?

I knew everything in FA for pharm. What year are you and when do you plan on taking the test?