USN Interview Thougts and Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for those who got already got accepted.....have any of you recieved the admissions packet yet? I got the call a weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad.

I just talked to Dr. Deyoung today and he said that I should expect to receive the admissions packet around the beginning of March because he is going to send them out this Friday.

May I ask you who did you interview with? I would feel comfortable seeing such behavior at my school. Highly intolerable.

Sure I can help.

I have been on several interviews prior to USN. I am waitlisted for several and still waiting to hear from several others concerning their final decisions.

I went to an interview in Jan 2007. There were several things that caught my eye that I had an issue. I'm very glad I came and saw the school for myself and I would like to share a few things that were troubling, other relevant info, and the whole experience was eye opening.

When students were waiting for their interviews, I was appalled when the older P3 male PharmD student was touching female candidates by giving back massages. He didn't offer it to all the girls but he purposely picked out the more attractive ones. I felt very sick when I saw that happening. There were female staff and students around but no one said anything. I'm not sure if they saw that or just did not want to see. I felt very uncomfortable watching this happen several times to at least 2 girls. It seems very unacceptable and unprofessional. It would be appropriate at a private residence but not at a formal interview session.

The interview session started at X:00 but a student walking in at X:45. The professor at the time said that it's no big deal and they get late students all the time. It did not bother me that the student came in late but surprised that the professor was nonchalant about late people. It was as if it happens all the time at USN and it’s acceptable. I thought arriving on time to your interview was supposed to be important.

At the interview itself, there were 3 people interviewing. The main person was a faculty member and that person did not seem interested in interviewing me. I felt very offend because I spent time, money, effort into the application, visiting the school. I thought USN would have professional faculty members would cared about students. Student centered education right? Wrong. But he/she was the complete OPPOSITE. He/she was very negative and condescending and unprofessional. He/she did not want to make eye contact, sighed before asking a question, sighed after asking the question, and sighed while I was answering the question. In fact he/she was telling the other interviewers to interview me. He/she seemed very disinterested and probably made a judgment about me before I even entered the room.

His/her interview questions were very difficult almost seemingly coming from left field. USN seems to know what kind of student they want and if you don't fit it your out. From my experience, they did not care about what you stand for or what you valued as a future PharmD. But it was more like if you can pay the tuition and if you’re willing to be submissive with the program and let condescending and intimidating faculty tell you what is right and wrong.

Luckily I didn't cry but I did see a girl cry after she was interviewed. WOW, and I thought I had it bad.

Overall it was probably the worst interview I have ever had.

However, a few positives were the school can give you legitimate Financial Aid. Before you had to take out private loans with very high interest rates but now you can get loans from the government.

The tuition increased to 34.5K now. Dr. DeYoung said the school increased their tuition by 5%.

That’s about it for the positives.

Funny thing is that USN promotes caring, leadership, and professionalism.

From my experience the interview process was very unprofessional. Male students should not be touching and giving back rubs to female students while they wait for their interview. USN should have picked a faculty member who actual cares about the person they are going to interview.

I was very disappointed and had high expectations. I'm curious to know if anyone else felt the same way or had similar experiences from the interview like I did.

For me I'm staying WAY FAR AWAY from USN because it was a very bad experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Were there lots of nervous people on the day of the interview? Were you nervous? Who interviewed you? What questions did they ask you?

I got a call 5 min ago!!!!!!!!!! Wooooh Yoooooh! I'll be there in the Fall!!!! (can you guess USN was my 1st choice?)

My Stats:

-Great interview (Dr DeYoung said that my interviewer was really impressed). I used the feedback on this site to prepare (not a single question stumped me.....I felt really prepared for the interview).
-4.0 Science, 4.0 Overall at a community college
-Lots of Pharmacy shadowing (Hospital and Retail)
-Volunteer at Hospital
-Member of Pre-Pharmacy Club
-V.P. of Spanish Club and V.P. of Art Club

20 questions? I thought the interview is supposed to last for 30 minutes. What questions did they ask you? Was it the student who asked you if you checked the forum on SDN?

sigh....i have interview yesterday, i thought it was wild! i didn't feel stress at all until after my interview! 2 faculty 1 student...guess how many questions they asked me!! not 6 not 7. but the totally is about 20 questions!! what the hell??? i was asked all the questions that you could think of, i mean it~~ they also asked questions from the interview feedback, however extra questions are being asked as well~~ jeez, if i don't know anything, then i'll be screwed during that time!! urrgggg......still can't believe it!

sigh....i have interview yesterday, i thought it was wild! i didn't feel stress at all until after my interview! 2 faculty 1 student...guess how many questions they asked me!! not 6 not 7. but the totally is about 20 questions!! what the hell??? i was asked all the questions that you could think of, i mean it~~ they also asked questions from the interview feedback, however extra questions are being asked as well~~ jeez, if i don't know anything, then i'll be screwed during that time!! urrgggg......still can't believe it!

I have had three total interviews and at each one I felt that they challeged me with pretty intense questions. I asked other interviewers what types of questions they were asked and they got the basic questions e.g. Tell me about yourself, what do you do outside of school, etc.. What I realized was if they are challenging you, then that means they think you are capable of these types of questions. For example since they all were aware that I have pharmacy experience, most questions had to do with hypothetical situations that take place in the pharmacy. So the fact that they asked you so many question could be a result of two factors: 1) You answered each question too quickly and had extra time or 2) they felt you are capable to handle extra questions. What do you think? :rolleyes:

Wow! THis school is complete crap!!!:laugh: I am glad I did not apply here!! I almost did :eek::eek: :eek: !!! This school has got to be one of the worst pharmacy schools out there. like the Steven Henagers College of Pharmacy!! or one of those crap schools no ones heard of, but just pop up out of nowhere :thumbdown: !! The faculty may seem friendly but there just greedy bastards:smuggrin: that want your money and dont care what happens with your future career:scared: Think about it, look at how many they are accepting... a *@$%-load!!! There is not as big a shortage of pharmacists as you think!! People are going to find it hard to get jobs!! And youll be in a lot of debt!!:scared: :scared:

THE POINT IS IF CRAP SCHOOLS LIKE THIS KEEP POPPING UP AND ACCPETING MORE AND MORE STUDENTS, THERE WILL NOT BE A SHORTAGE OF PHARMACISTS AND WE WILL BE BACK TO WHERE PHARMACISTS MAKE $60K AND HAVE HARD TIMES GETTING JOBS.:thumbdown:

I happened to interview at USN and had a great experience. Please don't be so negative especially in this forum where the majority of us are very excited to hear from USN and will be glad to attend their school. By the way, where have you been accepted? or interviewed for that matter?

I interviewed on 2/17 and I thought I did awful on it. Seriously, I was so upset on the ride back home because I went over in my head the things I said during the interview and i was like geez, why didn't I answer this or that instead?!?! but yeah, dont beat on yourself like I did :p

I'm choosing the Henderson campus but now that you mention it, I didn't ask or tell Dr. DeYoung about my preference...just got caught up in all of the excitement I guess.

Do you have any BS???

Do you have any BS???

yeah. will get a BS in Biology. My stat is pretty average though:

-GPA: 3.59
-research: 2 years
-pharmacy experience: 1.5 yrs
-healthcare experience: 5 years
-leadership and e.c outside of school

RXcrystal,

yeah. I'm waiting for my packet to come and everything is confirmed before I add myself to the list.

I tried replying to your pm but your inbox is full and is not accepting any more messages.

I happened to interview at USN and had a great experience. Please don't be so negative especially in this forum where the majority of us are very excited to hear from USN and will be glad to attend their school. By the way, where have you been accepted? or interviewed for that matter?

lily83, u interviewed on 17 feb and got a call on 20 feb. that is preety fast. did any body else got a call from those who interviewed on 17 feb, because i m very nervous. i thought i did not do that good on the interview.i interviewed on feb 17 also.:scared:

I interviewed on the 17th as well and was very surprised when I got called on the 20th. I was expecting to wait until april/may. He said on the orientation that he would call people that scored above a certain threshold. Possibly sometime in april/may they might lower the threshold.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on the 17th as well and was very surprised when I got called on the 20th. I was expecting to wait until april/may. He said on the orientation that he would call people that scored above a certain threshold. Possibly sometime in april/may they might lower the threshold.

what's your stat?

I happened to interview at USN and had a great experience. Please don't be so negative especially in this forum where the majority of us are very excited to hear from USN and will be glad to attend their school. By the way, where have you been accepted? or interviewed for that matter?[/quote

I am just trying to help. I think a lot of you have been brainwashed into thinking it's a great school but you need to look into it more. Schools that accept a lot of students are NOT quality schools -they just want your money. Unfortunately this is the case with many private institutions (more so with USN than others I have researched), which make public schools much better. My schools of choice (interviewed at all) are U of A, USC, and of course UCSF!!!!!:thumbup:

Go to a private school, like USN and youll be lucky to find a job as a floater in retail pharmacy. Go to a top rated public school, complete a residency and the possibilities are great and endless.:)

I am just trying to help. I think a lot of you have been brainwashed into thinking it's a great school but you need to look into it more. Schools that accept a lot of students are NOT quality schools -they just want your money. Unfortunately this is the case with many private institutions (more so with USN than others I have researched), which make public schools much better. My schools of choice (interviewed at all) are U of A, USC, and of course UCSF!!!!!:thumbup:

Go to a private school, like USN and youll be lucky to find a job as a floater in retail pharmacy. Go to a top rated public school, complete a residency and the possibilities are great and endless.:)

First off, learn to use quotes. Second, it is quite obvious that you are not "just trying to help". It seems like you have some sort of axe to grind with USN. If you were just trying to help, then do it in a respectful, professional manner, instead of attacking the school without any evidence.

IE:
Wow! THis school is complete crap!!!:laugh: I am glad I did not apply here!! I almost did :eek::eek: :eek: !!! This school has got to be one of the worst pharmacy schools out there. like the Steven Henagers College of Pharmacy!!

If you did not even apply to USN, as you say, how can you make such a negative statement? You haven't even toured the school or seen the school first hand. Also, I went to the Steven Henagers school website and they, in fact, do not even have a College of Pharmacy. Again, obvious you are trolling. http://www.stevenshenager.edu/

THE POINT IS IF CRAP SCHOOLS LIKE THIS KEEP POPPING UP AND ACCPETING MORE AND MORE STUDENTS, THERE WILL NOT BE A SHORTAGE OF PHARMACISTS AND WE WILL BE BACK TO WHERE PHARMACISTS MAKE $60K AND HAVE HARD TIMES GETTING JOBS.:thumbdown:

All caps + negative unbacked statements is a sure sign of someone that is doing anything but "trying to help". Can you share your "research" that pharmacists will be making $60k/year and have a hard time getting jobs, if "crap schools like this keep popping up and accepting more and more students"?

I think a lot of you have been brainwashed

That's nice that you think we are brainwashed, but please keep your judgements to yourself. Do you know anything about us brainwashed students? Making prejudice judgements like that makes you sound like a bigot. I feel that I am pretty smart and that I can make educated, informed decisions. I am not brainwashed.

Unfortunately this is the case with many private institutions (more so with USN than others I have researched), which make public schools much better.

There are many pros and cons between public and private schools. For some students, the benefits of a public school is better for them. For some, the benefits of a private school are better. Respect people's choices.

Would you care to show your research that can back up this statement? If you met USN graduates that were not floaters in retail pharmacy, would that prove you wrong? Heck, I even know a pharmacist with a Bachelor's degree from a foreign country that is a full time pharmacist, making about $50/hour. Do you even know USN's NAPLEX pass rate?

It seems like you are trying to say that people should go to a public school, complete a residency, and anything is possible for them, while private school students are destined to be bums on the street or even lucky to find a job. That is quite a bold statement. Please, I would like to see your research that has brought you to this conclusion.

I 2nd that, SCCpharm!

What a load of garbage. ALBUKAI is applying to University of Utah, and yet I don't hear any complaints about how the UofU is planning on expanding and opening their doors to more students. ....Many schools are expanding to meet the extreme demand....its called "common sense" (something lacking in ALBUKAI's post; obviously we are all applying to USN or accepted).

Anyone get their admittance paperwork yet?

Those who interviewed on 2/17 and got accepted, what was your lst choice of campus: Henderson or Utah?
ray

ALBUKAI,
the reason USN accepts more students compared to other pharmacy schools is because they have two campuses. They have 140 seats at the Henderson campus and 80 for the Utah campus, not because they are out to take people's money. The number of spots for EACH campus is not high at all when you look at it separately. Like all schools, it is just like a business but one where both parties gain: you with a PharmD education, and them with tuition fee so it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Second, I HIGHLY doubt that there will be a shortage of jobs for pharmacists in the near future. In fact, the US department of Labor has statistics that suggest the opposite trend. With the coming age boom, coupled with more complicated drugs that are designed for specific patients based on pharmacogenomic info, and the expanding roles of pharmacists, the need for pharmacists has never been greater:

"According to the statistics compiled from the 2001 Pharmacy Manpower Project, Inc. Conference, it is projected that in the year 2020 there will be a need of 417,000 pharmacists in the United States. The projection also indicates that the number of pharmacists in the country will be 260,000. That is almost a 38% shortfall (157,000) of pharmacists. "

So before making a statement, lets take a moment to think about it first or do some research to support your assertion. Afterall, a lot of people who are not familiar with the pharmacy profession think that pharmacists are nothing but pill dispensers but I'm sure you know better because you did your research to find out what you're getting yourself into. Similarly, it would be difficult for you to make an accurate judgment of USN, without researching the school/applying there/interviewing with them.

Ray, I picked the henderson campus.

I picked the Henderson campus too!
See you there Lily!

I picked the Henderson campus too!
See you there Lily!

that's great! I can't wait to meet my future classmates! so did you receive the email about getting our packet by march 9?

hi guys, Thanks alot for all comments and clues. I had an interview on 1/20 , and I have 4.0 science and overall gpa. No bachelors, and all pre-requisites done. interview took 20 min. and I did OK!!! maybe 30/40.
I've seen people are hearing from Dr. Deyoung. I have'nt!!! What do u think my chances are? Please inform me!!! Thanks:thumbup: ;)

that's great! I can't wait to meet my future classmates! so did you receive the email about getting our packet by march 9?

I know! I'm super excited! But yea, I got it from Dr. Deyoung. Haven't received the actually packet yet though. We'll see.

hey all, i usually don't pick up the phone unless it's a number I know.
For those that got accepted, what was the number that Dr. DeYoung called from? Area code 702? Private? No Number?
thanks.

hey all, i usually don't pick up the phone unless it's a number I know.
For those that got accepted, what was the number that Dr. DeYoung called from? Area code 702? Private? No Number?
thanks.

It said "number withheld" for mine but dont worry he'll leave you a message if you dont pick up.

FYI, a call from Dr. DeYoung showed "Unavailable" on my cell phone. Hope you get a call soon!

-dtl

FYI, a call from Dr. DeYoung showed "Unavailable" on my cell phone. Hope you get a call soon!

-dtl
Congrads:D dtl!! great!!! What was your status and when did u have the interview?

is anyone interviewing on Wednesday, March 14th at the Henderson campus? I am from Southern Cali and I am planning to drive there, so if anyone is interested, we can share a ride. I just don't want to fly anymore. Also, If anyone knows of any shuttle service to Las Vegas, please let me know. thanks in advance.

Congrads:D dtl!! great!!! What was your status and when did u have the interview?

For those who want to know... I got a call last Monday. My interview was on Feb 17. Good luck to those who are waiting!

Oh, forgot about my stats...

3.6 overall
4.0 science
Bachelor in Science

I thought I didn't so well in my interview... :)

-dtl

Congrats to all the applicants who have been accepted... USN roommate database won't be generated until early June. I have 2 rooms available for next year: 1 single room for $400/month + utility and a master bedroom for $550/month + utility. It's about 7 miles from school, no trafic, close to all major highways and shopping centers.

My dilemma is if I can find someone who can committed to live here next year then I will live my belongings here (in Henderson campus) as I return to California this summer. But if I can't find roommates for next year, then I will put my stuff in storage and look for a place when I come back in August. I really really do like this house (fully furnished) and do not wish to move. My landlord wants to know my plans for next year.

If any of you are interested, please let me know. I have no gender preference as long as you are neat, quiet, and considerate. :)

Congrats to all the applicants who have been accepted... USN roommate database won't be generated until early June. I have 2 rooms available for next year: 1 single room for $400/month + utility and a master bedroom for $550/month + utility. It's about 7 miles from school, no trafic, close to all major highways and shopping centers.

My dilemma is if I can find someone who can committed to live here next year then I will live my belongings here (in Henderson campus) as I return to California this summer. But if I can't find roommates for next year, then I will put my stuff in storage and look for a place when I come back in August. I really really do like this house (fully furnished) and do not wish to move. My landlord wants to know my plans for next year.

If any of you are interested, please let me know. I have no gender preference as long as you are neat, quiet, and considerate. :)

Hi Khuyen, I might need a room in Fall, pls send me your phone/email at [email protected]

thanks
-dtl

Has anyone received the admission packet?

Has anyone received the admission packet?

I am thinking to go back to university to finish BRN major before i apply to pharm school again. Anyone who is already in pharm school prefer any other major? if you do, then why?

Has anybody without a bachelors degree got an acceptance from Dr. Deyoung? What about people who had their interview in January and their first choice was the henderson campus?
Thanks.:)
By the way, if we want to check the status of our applications, will Dr. Deyoung tell us about it like what level we are at??

Did anybody get phone call from Dr. DeYoung today?
I am being super anxious now.
I am hoping Dr. DeYoung will give a call to few more applicants who wish to go to South Jordan Utah campus.
Anybody know if they are doing some more interview after March 12???

ray

Did anybody get phone call from Dr. DeYoung today?
I am being super anxious now.
I am hoping Dr. DeYoung will give a call to few more applicants who wish to go to South Jordan Utah campus.
Anybody know if they are doing some more interview after March 12???

ray

Hi Ray..I will have my interview on the 31st of March. I think they still have couple more interviews remaining!

Hi Ray..I will have my interview on the 31st of March. I think they still have couple more interviews remaining!
Oh really. I did not know that. Probably thats why they asked everybody to have patience until april/may.
Sego! arent you already in Pacific univ?
Looks like you are giving priority on USN over Pacific uni.
Thanx for the reply sego. and good luck with the interview.

I just got it today. For those who are waiting for it, you should be getting it soon!

-dtl

Does anyone know how long it usually takes from the interview date to the acceptance date? It doesn't have to be the official letter of acceptance. I just would like to know how long it would take to be notified that you got accepted (may be via phone call)?

For those who already had interviews and got accepted, could you please share that info?

Thank you so much in advance!

Does anyone know how long it usually takes from the interview date to the acceptance date? It doesn't have to be the official letter of acceptance. I just would like to know how long it would take to be notified that you got accepted (may be via phone call)?

For those who already had interviews and got accepted, could you please share that info?

I was interviewed on 2/17, got a call on 2/26

-dtl

Interviewed on 2/17 & got a call on 2/20.

Congrats everyone. You guys must be really good. Last year I interviewed Feb 13 and got the phone call April 14. It was a long 2 months.

Congrats everyone. You guys must be really good. Last year I interviewed Feb 13 and got the phone call April 14. It was a long 2 months.

My wife and I are staring at the phone hoping for it to ring. I interviewed on Feb 14, and by this time I should probably try and relax until April, but so much hinges on this one little phone call! I do appreciate all of you who were admitted last year supporting those who are anxiously awaiting decisions. You are very patient and thoughtful. Gracias.

Just because you haven't gotten a call yet from Dr DeYoung doesn't mean he will not be calling in the future. You have to think since there are 220 spots to fill total, if you have good grades and had a good interview, you will get a call. I'm pretty sure Dr DeYoung and the admissions committee are waiting for interviews to be completed before they just start calling people left and right. Last year if you look at the forums around this time, a bunch of people got called I believe on March 24th. They probably just finished with interviews around that time. I know it is hard but we all need to be patient.:)

Thank you everyone for sharing info. I guess it really varies (within a few days or months). I have an interview this month, and I just wanted to know how long they would take to make a decision. For anyone else who can share, I will greatly appreciate it.

Thank you everyone for sharing info. I guess it really varies (within a few days or months). I have an interview this month, and I just wanted to know how long they would take to make a decision. For anyone else who can share, I will greatly appreciate it.

FYI, during my interview, one of the tour guides told us that after the interview, they'll calculate your score based on interview, application, grades, degree, etc and you'll be ranked according to that number. Then they'll have a cut off ie above X pts and above will get accepted, and the rest will be considered later. So the people who got at least X pts will be called regarding their acceptance offer (how soon depends on how many people they have to call I guess) and then at the end of march, the adm comm will decide if they will need to have more interviews to find more candidates that meets the X pts requirement or if they have enough candidates for the year and lower the X pts requirements to take in more candidates. this sounded reasonable to me but like I said, I heard this from one of the tour guides so you decide. Anyways, the application process is far from over so there's no reason to start giving up now...just hang tight! :) Good luck!!!

gholdpharmd, I interviewed on 2/17 and heard back 2/20.

I got a call on the 12th of February from an unavailable number but there was no voice mail. The call was around 7:20 PM and I know Dr. Deyoung calls around the evening time. I didn't hear my cell phone ring but I am curious if it was him. What should I do?