USN Interview Thougts and Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got accepted to University of Colorado! I am going to give it a few days and if I for sure want Colorado, I will call Dr DeYoung and tell him to give my spot to someone else.

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted to University of Colorado! I am going to give it a few days and if I for sure want Colorado, I will call Dr DeYoung and tell him to give my spot to someone else.

Why are you choosing Colorado if you dont mind me asking? I'm kind of in the same boat....got accepted to both schools.

I have an interview scheduled for March 28 and I would greatly greatly appreciate if those who have already gone through it could help me

First of all, about how many questions were asked?

And was the feedback forum on SDN really helpful? Did a lot of the questions overlap? If not, what are some other areas to bear in mind?

Were there a lot of pharmacy-related and current news questions? Or were more questions about your character? (compassion, professionalism, leadership, etc)?

Thanks in advance for those willing to help me out!
=)

I was asked about maybe around 15 questions. My feedback is posted in the interview feedback forum (I was the one that had a 9 stress level and felt that I did about a 6, and I tried to type in all the questions that I could remember). I don't remember exactly the precise number, but I thought it was quite a lot. The feedback forum is really helpful, I cannot stress it enough; a lot of questions overlapped. There were some pharmacy-related questions, I didn't get any current news questions, and most of the questions were about my character.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you choosing Colorado if you dont mind me asking? I'm kind of in the same boat....got accepted to both schools.

I'm in that position where I feel that Colorado has the resources for a better education than USN because they have the state funding for it. Although Colorado is 4 years. The only thing good about the traditional 4 year program is that you can have summers off to relax and be normal. It would be nice to be done in three years though. Plus, I like the fact that they new facility is opening up for our class. I don't know. I haven't 100% decided. Let me know what your thoughts are.

OKay...until someone can list more exciting things about Colorado, all i can see is that it is better than USN in the sense of less tution. That's it. Come on...where else can be more exciting than Vegas? Besides these party animals from USC (no offense...)...In Vegas, you can go out gambling after the exams, or enjoy the shows, haven't yet mentioned about the buffet, girls, etc...30 miles from Vegas is Redrock and boy it's beautiful. In winter, you have snow on Mt. Charleston. 3 and 1/2 hour driving, you will reach LA for the beach...Come on....what else is better?

Alrite...being serious now...Um, no, u don't have to go summer school unless (UNLESS) you fail the exams badly during the school year(that sucks, and yes, you suck if you keep failing). Otherwise, you have 1/2 month off and the end of ur 1st year. Then you have a whole freaking 2 months-3 months off in 2nd year (if you don't fail any exam). So...that's the best deal. Also, will Colorado school accomodate and allow you to take rotations at your hometown (Arizona, California, Utah, etc...)???? they might, but 100%? I don't think so. But USN does so...so who's cooler? ahahah

OKay...until someone can list more exciting things about Colorado, all i can see is that it is better than USN in the sense of less tution. That's it. Come on...where else can be more exciting than Vegas? Besides these party animals from USC (no offense...)...In Vegas, you can go out gambling after the exams, or enjoy the shows, haven't yet mentioned about the buffet, girls, etc...30 miles from Vegas is Redrock and boy it's beautiful. In winter, you have snow on Mt. Charleston. 3 and 1/2 hour driving, you will reach LA for the beach...Come on....what else is better?

Alrite...being serious now...Um, no, u don't have to go summer school unless (UNLESS) you fail the exams badly during the school year(that sucks, and yes, you suck if you keep failing). Otherwise, you have 1/2 month off and the end of ur 1st year. Then you have a whole freaking 2 months-3 months off in 2nd year (if you don't fail any exam). So...that's the best deal. Also, will Colorado school accomodate and allow you to take rotations at your hometown (Arizona, California, Utah, etc...)???? they might, but 100%? I don't think so. But USN does so...so who's cooler? ahahah

No offense, but I think U of Colorado is going to give me a better education especially if I want to do more than just retail pharmacy. Plus I am not into the party scene and Denver is just as cool as Vegas.

Hello everybody! I had an interview on March 14 with USN and showed up 45 minutes late because my wife wanted to ride the "insanity" on the top of the Stratosphere. I couldn't believe it, I thought I was going to die from a heart attack from showing up late. Anyway, the interview was great, not sure about the orientation because I wasn't there. To make a long story short, my interview was on a Wednesday and I got called the next Monday. Class of 2010!

No offense, but I think U of Colorado is going to give me a better education especially if I want to do more than just retail pharmacy. Plus I am not into the party scene and Denver is just as cool as Vegas.

Yeah...that's what you think huh?. But what you think may not be right. In fact, that's what most everyone thinks. But just to give you some information, who told you that USN only trains students to do retail pharmacy? Did you actually read the curriculum before even applying? If you had read, then could u tell me in there...is there such a trend/pattern that imply ,"Oh...our goal is to mass-produce retail pharmacists.". ??? I don't think so. The curriculum is pretty well-structured. I do believe the school provides us enough...in fact...MORE THAN ENOUGH to practice at ANY settings. It's just a matter of whether or not you are SMART enough to ultilize what you have been taught at school to apply to the real world. I have a chance while going on rotation with students from some of most famous pharmacy schools (won't tell u the names here...trying not to offend anyone)...While i was amazed at how smart some students are, at the same time I happen to see another population at such schools are quite lousy. Well...in particular, right on spot, some can't even tell what the difference between STEMI vs USA...,or what the basic categories to switch IV to PO, or what is the trough to aim for for endocarditis (infected with Staph)...etc...I can go on and on...

Anyway, now back to your mentality. So you're saying you wanna do more than just retail. Yes, yes, more than 80%, not to say 90% students would say the same thing after being in a retail pharmacy, get yelled at....But wanting and actually doing it is a different story. And it's also how you define what "Challenge" is. To me, retail is harder. I respect the pharmacists in retails...totally respect them. Retail is harder not because of you have to know a lot to work there...in fact, u don't even need a Pharm.D...to work in retail. U don't even need PK/Abx-renal adjustment/IV Admixtures/JCAHO Compliance. You don't even need to know heparin comes in 5000u/1ml, 1000u/ml....and don't have to know normal serum Calcium level is 8.5-10.5 (after calculating the adjusted Calcium with the Albumin known...hopefully).....But retails is harder because you have to put up with all the craps with insurance, mean insurance, drug addicts, etc...I just can't stand this. There was one time, I gave the middle finger to one of craziest customer that everyone is SCARED of him. Well, i got the write up....but whatever. Gotta be mean to such people so they know they ain't God.

Don't know why...but i find hospital pharmacy is quite easy. It is actually a joke. What is so hard about dosing AMG/Vanco? Renal Adjustment? Monitoring Coumadin? A bunch of jokes. Yes, saving money for the hospital, but boy....I actually feel guilty to get paid to do this. Once a while, a harder task would be writing a brand new policy, starting from scratch...Now that's the hard task. 'Cuz u gotta make sure you have to know what you're writing...who will be reading this...especially it's involved in MDY, and you gotta try to comply with JCAHO, DHS, etc....a bunch of people who has nothing better than sitting there and think about projects and enforce the hospital to do it!!!. That job is freaking a JOKE too....geez...give me a break.

Anyway, back to my school spirit...The bottom line is NO. We don't just train students to become retail pharmacists. In fact, there isn't ANY school whose mission is to train someone to become a retail pharmacist. That's just wacked. But people get out, graduate, and decide to go for retails because a. They don't wanna do residency b. They feel hospital is Freaking DEPRESSED
c. Whatever

Another thing is that a bunch of students from USN got into residency programs, great programs too, such as Loma Linda, UCI, UCSD, etc...big names huh? Don't believe me? Give them a call...say, "I'm a student from USN...i am just wondering if you guys have any students got admitted into the residency program....so and so..."...Do urself a reality check.

USN was always my top choice, not only because it's a 3 year program and near home, but after the interview I was really impressed with the facilities and curriculum after talking with many of the current students. But I know what you mean about how you might think UC will give a better education to do other things besides retail. I loved how the school was structured and also the program as a whole. Also, it is cheaper as well, like $28k for the first year and $15K for the next three. But I also think you will get as much out of the pharmacy profession in any field if you put the work into it, no matter what school you go to. Doing the minimum just to get by is not enough, doing other things to gain experience like residencies will get you into the area of pharmacy that you want. The only downside of UC for me is denver as a city, it's a great place, but I just can't see myself living there....I'm still going to take a couple days and think about it before I make my final decision.

Yeah...that's what you think huh?. But what you think may not be right. In fact, that's what most everyone thinks. But just to give you some information, who told you that USN only trains students to do retail pharmacy? Did you actually read the curriculum before even applying? If you had read, then could u tell me in there...is there such a trend/pattern that imply ,"Oh...our goal is to mass-produce retail pharmacists.". ??? I don't think so. The curriculum is pretty well-structured. I do believe the school provides us enough...in fact...MORE THAN ENOUGH to practice at ANY settings. It's just a matter of whether or not you are SMART enough to ultilize what you have been taught at school to apply to the real world. I have a chance while going on rotation with students from some of most famous pharmacy schools (won't tell u the names here...trying not to offend anyone)...While i was amazed at how smart some students are, at the same time I happen to see another population at such schools are quite lousy. Well...in particular, right on spot, some can't even tell what the difference between STEMI vs USA...,or what the basic categories to switch IV to PO, or what is the trough to aim for for endocarditis (infected with Staph)...etc...I can go on and on...

Anyway, now back to your mentality. So you're saying you wanna do more than just retail. Yes, yes, more than 80%, not to say 90% students would say the same thing after being in a retail pharmacy, get yelled at....But wanting and actually doing it is a different story. And it's also how you define what "Challenge" is. To me, retail is harder. I respect the pharmacists in retails...totally respect them. Retail is harder not because of you have to know a lot to work there...in fact, u don't even need a Pharm.D...to work in retail. U don't even need PK/Abx-renal adjustment/IV Admixtures/JCAHO Compliance. You don't even need to know heparin comes in 5000u/1ml, 1000u/ml....and don't have to know normal serum Calcium level is 8.5-10.5 (after calculating the adjusted Calcium with the Albumin known...hopefully).....But retails is harder because you have to put up with all the craps with insurance, mean insurance, drug addicts, etc...I just can't stand this. There was one time, I gave the middle finger to one of craziest customer that everyone is SCARED of him. Well, i got the write up....but whatever. Gotta be mean to such people so they know they ain't God.

Don't know why...but i find hospital pharmacy is quite easy. It is actually a joke. What is so hard about dosing AMG/Vanco? Renal Adjustment? Monitoring Coumadin? A bunch of jokes. Yes, saving money for the hospital, but boy....I actually feel guilty to get paid to do this. Once a while, a harder task would be writing a brand new policy, starting from scratch...Now that's the hard task. 'Cuz u gotta make sure you have to know what you're writing...who will be reading this...especially it's involved in MDY, and you gotta try to comply with JCAHO, DHS, etc....a bunch of people who has nothing better than sitting there and think about projects and enforce the hospital to do it!!!. That job is freaking a JOKE too....geez...give me a break.

Anyway, back to my school spirit...The bottom line is NO. We don't just train students to become retail pharmacists. In fact, there isn't ANY school whose mission is to train someone to become a retail pharmacist. That's just wacked. But people get out, graduate, and decide to go for retails because a. They don't wanna do residency b. They feel hospital is Freaking DEPRESSED
c. Whatever

Another thing is that a bunch of students from USN got into residency programs, great programs too, such as Loma Linda, UCI, UCSD, etc...big names huh? Don't believe me? Give them a call...say, "I'm a student from USN...i am just wondering if you guys have any students got admitted into the residency program....so and so..."...Do urself a reality check.

Wow! You are seriously crazy. Good luck to you.

By the way, I was not dissing on retail pharmacists. I have worked in a retail pharmacy for over 5 years and love it. I just like the resources that Colorado has. It is a completely different learning style than USN and all I was saying was that this is a better option for me. You don't need to talk to me as if I do not know why people go into retail pharmacy, I am very knowledgable about the pharmacy profession.

By the way, I was not dissing on retail pharmacists. I have worked in a retail pharmacy for over 5 years and love it. I just like the resources that Colorado has. It is a completely different learning style than USN and all I was saying was that this is a better option for me. You don't need to talk to me as if I do not know why people go into retail pharmacy, I am very knowledgable about the pharmacy profession.

I still haven't seen yet what Colorado can offer, but USN or others cannot offer. Resources? What kind of resources are you looking for? Please tell me so i would learn more about Colorado...As of being knowledgable about the pharmacy profession, i don't know nor being able to judge about that part yet....but u do believe u know something about pharmacy...that's why u got accepted.

Most of the P1 students in my class do not want to go into retail at all. USN has a great program and you would have the same career options if you attend USN as you would at any other insitution. I respect your opinion about having more time off though in the summer. The 3 year program is not suited for everyone...some people should really consider this more before they accept an offer at a 3 year school.

Most of the P1 students in my class do not want to go into retail at all. USN has a great program and you would have the same career options if you attend USN as you would at any other insitution. I respect your opinion about having more time off though in the summer. The 3 year program is not suited for everyone...some people should really consider this more before they accept an offer at a 3 year school.

Thanks for your input. I am mainly concerned about getting everything done in 2 years (school work that is). It would be nice to graduate a year earlier, but it would also be nice to enjoy a summer and spend time with your classmates and family during this tedious process. I guess since I don't have a family waiting for me or other obligations, I can afford to spend another year in school.

Thanks for your input. I am mainly concerned about getting everything done in 2 years (school work that is). It would be nice to graduate a year earlier, but it would also be nice to enjoy a summer and spend time with your classmates and family during this tedious process. I guess since I don't have a family waiting for me or other obligations, I can afford to spend another year in school.

I respect your opinion too-- USN is not for everyone. You went to both interviews and found that Colorado is better for you. Good for you, and I wish you the best of luck at UC!

oh crap nothing yet! am i doomed?
3.55 gpa
3.4 science gpa
hopefully this week.
everyday, i get a headache.
Seems like everyone who got accepted had 4.0 gpas or close to that.
:scared:

rxcrystal -

Whatever pharmacy school you end up going to, I am sure you will become an excellent pharmacist regardless. My best friend is from Colorado, and she totally wants to go back one day because she feels quality of life is better out there (we both live in Henderson, NV). I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

Perhaps I will see you on the slopes one day... unless you are one of those dreaded snowboarders... :eek:

Once again, best of luck to you, rxcrystal!

SFKid829

ahahaha....that's it. SFkid dude is falling in love with Rxcrystal....tang tang tang tang...tang tang tang tang....