USU Graduating Early

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Helpful Troll

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Article 200 New Doctors, Advanced Practice Nurses, .... to join military medical ranks early.
"The students, who are all active duty uniformed officers in the Army, Navy, Air Force or Public Health Service, will have completed all of their requirements to be awarded a degree and will be available for reassignment by their respective Services.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Graduate interns early sure but what does this accomplish? Seems like a PR move
They'll start internship early, then finish internship early, then be assignable as GMOs. Which could be useful a year from now if this is an ongoing crisis.

USUHS has always had a graduate-early clause for national emergencies. I don't think anyone ever expected it to be used, but here we are.

Reactions: 1 users
They'll start internship early, then finish internship early, then be assignable as GMOs. Which could be useful a year from now if this is an ongoing crisis.

USUHS has always had a graduate-early clause for national emergencies. I don't think anyone ever expected it to be used, but here we are.

I don’t see them starting these folks early. So many moving parts and it’s a really small number when you think about say 50 Navy grads being spread amongst 3 Big MTFs and several smaller (FP). So what, each hospital is going to end up with maybe 15 at most. Right now you can’t even set up a PCS, or go house-hunting or let’s not even think about the number of folks coming out of USU that are non-trad grads with spouses and children who maybe have other commitments through May.

In an email I saw they said they weren’t going to supersede to O3 early at this time, so who knows what’s really going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t see them starting these folks early. So many moving parts and it’s a really small number when you think about say 50 Navy grads being spread amongst 3 Big MTFs and several smaller (FP). So what, each hospital is going to end up with maybe 15 at most. Right now you can’t even set up a PCS, or go house-hunting or let’s not even think about the number of folks coming out of USU that are non-trad grads with spouses and children who maybe have other commitments through May.

In an email I saw they said they weren’t going to supersede to O3 early at this time, so who knows what’s really going to happen.
Maybe they'll just park them at Bethesda to be interns for a while?

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe they'll just park them at Bethesda to be interns for a while?

One issue is supervision.

I can see some out of the box thinkers maybe coming up with the idea of using them to hold down the non-complex, non-covid service. Have a bunch of them overseen by one or two staff. But I don’t know how you mesh that with ACGME guidelines such as needing goals and objectives, etc etc.

My thought would be to use them in non-medical things as simply officers in the military to relieve others from some of those jobs.

Need someone to oversee some corpsmen/medics who are screening folks at the entry to hospital? Need people to stock stuff? Who knows though. Everyone knows what July interns look like....

It was clearly a rash decision made without thinking it through (a lot of that going on!). It would've made more sense to let them stay put, they could help in whatever capacity as a MS4 wherever they currently are, just graduate them on time then PCS them.

One issue is supervision.

I can see some out of the box thinkers maybe coming up with the idea of using them to hold down the non-complex, non-covid service. Have a bunch of them overseen by one or two staff. But I don’t know how you mesh that with ACGME guidelines such as needing goals and objectives, etc etc.

My thought would be to use them in non-medical things as simply officers in the military to relieve others from some of those jobs.

Need someone to oversee some corpsmen/medics who are screening folks at the entry to hospital? Need people to stock stuff? Who knows though. Everyone knows what July interns look like....
Military hospitals are so unbelievably top-heavy and overstaffed ... ESPECIALLY Bethesda ... I bet they could plug them right in as interns in a hurry. I mean, there's nothing special about July except the heat and humidity in DC. They'll either be dangerous liabilities in July or April, as all interns are. But if they start now they'll be useful sooner.

Hell, they could just call TAD for them mission essential and send them to other MTFs to be interns. No PCS needed, too bad if it's inconvenient.

Having them continue to function as MS4s, or worse as glorified stockboys, does no one any good.

I doubt that will detach them from Bethesda. They will be "deployed" to wherever the military needs to send more medical bodies. They will practice under the direction/license of any senior staff who is at the same location essentially continuing to be an MS4. Some will step up and be able to be trusted to make decisions as judged by those overseeing them. Others will just be MS4's. GME doesn't start for anyone this summer until COVID ends. Their families will stay put and PCS when the dust settles just like the rest of the world that can't PCS right now.

Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures.

Graduating 20 something O3s early to become physicians at the MEDCENs? The mortality rate for the month of July just shot up 700% God help us.

In all seriousness, I think a bunch of new interns would be great to see all non-acute outpatients in the clinics. You would only need a handful of staff to supervise and sign off on things.

This would of course free up alot of the staff to take care of more urgent/emergent issues.

HPSP Army MS4 here. My school pushed up our graduation date to mid-April, any idea if Army would eventually pull us too similar to the USU students?

July morbidity is a myth, at least for surgeons.
Who know how many folks the young fleas kill.

All of six weeks or so. Most med schools graduate in early May, so the length of one elective. Most of USUHS is done even sooner (IIRC, they had earliest dates of rank, or at least earlier than most HPSP grads.)The assignment process is likely already done and they will get PCS to their internships. The departing interns will get sent to the ships and field hospitals, but most will stay as second year residents and the graduating residents will be sent early to the forward treatment billets, probably TDY.