USUHS Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just on email inviting me to the 2nd look weekend . . . Weird b/c I'm prior service and waitlisted (Navy), I thought it was intended for those accepted and non-prior. Oh well, looks like they're opening it up to more people, good to hear. Unfortunately I wont be able to attend.

There was a bit of an uproar about priors not being allowed to go so Admissions changed their stance. I think it's an excellent idea to have everyone there.

Members don't see this ad.

There was a bit of an uproar about priors not being allowed to go so Admissions changed their stance. I think it's an excellent idea to have everyone there.

cool. Are they paying for travel??? If someone could snag the 'Fighting For Life' dvd and rip it for the rest of us, that'd be great!:laugh:

I just on email inviting me to the 2nd look weekend . . . Weird b/c I'm prior service and waitlisted (Navy), I thought it was intended for those accepted and non-prior. Oh well, looks like they're opening it up to more people, good to hear. Unfortunately I wont be able to attend.

That is interesting. I'm waitlisted too but didn't get an email. (but I am NROTC so maybe that makes a difference?)

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the second look weekend for..... waitlisted people or people that were already accepted? :confused:

What is the second look weekend for..... waitlisted people or people that were already accepted? :confused:

i'm pretty sure its for accepted students. Maybe this is a sign for you Dr. Metal
:xf:

I just got an email inviting me and i am prior service and waitlisted as well. Maybe I should give them a call tomorrow and find out whats up.

will it hurt our chances (waitlisted people) if we are unable to attend the second look weekend??

will it hurt our chances (waitlisted people) if we are unable to attend the second look weekend??

I don't think so. I hope not, there's no way I can attend (I'm defending my dissertation that day! :scared:).

BTW what service are you waitlisted for? Navy's pretty long (~30). AF about 1/2 as much, and Army's very short. That may give you some comfort.

Not very comforting....I'm on the Navy waitlist. Hopefully though I am near the top of it. :xf: You??

I just got an email inviting me and i am prior service and waitlisted as well. Maybe I should give them a call tomorrow and find out whats up.

Hmm... so that's two people on the waitlist that got invites. I wonder if the fact that I am NROTC is why they didn't invite me too or maybe this means I'm lower on the waitlist. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Arrggg....

Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Probably so. Try call them. I'm Navy (prior) waitlisted. Yeah we'll see how it goes. My only advice is to be ready to apply again (if you're so inclined) and to have a backup plan for at least a year. I was told that 2 years ago, everyone on the Navy waitlist got offered a spot eventually. Last year, only about 50% were offered. And this year they're expecting that percentage to be smaller. (Looks like the Navy's been getting more and more popular over the years!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably so. Try call them. I'm Navy (prior) waitlisted. Yeah we'll see how it goes. My only advice is to be ready to apply again (if you're so inclined) and to have a backup plan for at least a year. I was told that 2 years ago, everyone on the Navy waitlist got offered a spot eventually. Last year, only about 50% were offered. And this year they're expecting that percentage to be smaller. (Looks like the Navy's been getting more and more popular over the years!)

Well I've got a backup plan but it involves me being a SWOrrior for the next few years and then reapplying. (can't just do something else for only a year because of the whole NROTC thing)

Oh and I'm on the Navy waitlist.

Hey everyone, its still kind of early, but for any Class of 2013'ers who are in the process of looking at housing in the Bethesda/D.C. area for the coming year and may be interested in living with a roommate, feel free to drop me a line to bounce around any ideas/plans.

Originally, I was going to live with a couple females who work on the Hill (former roommates of mine when I interned in D.C.), but honestly, I would much rather live with another med school student. I was planning on living solo unless I found a roommate at ODS this summer, which would be super. Are you currently looking for a roommate? Feel free to e-mail me anytime: [email protected]

Thanks!!

As I understood it, that is correct. You should have no problem making the wedding :)

Just for the sake of financial planning during the summer training, can anybody enlighten me on when and how we get paid???

Is it a monthly direct deposit kind of deal? or do we get a monthly check(s) for each of the allotments?

When does the first paycheck come in?

I am having to leave my job 2 months before June 14, so I kinda want to plan things out right...

much appreciated!!!

Just for the sake of financial planning during the summer training, can anybody enlighten me on when and how we get paid???

Is it a monthly direct deposit kind of deal? or do we get a monthly check(s) for each of the allotments?

When does the first paycheck come in?

I am having to leave my job 2 months before June 14, so I kinda want to plan things out right...

much appreciated!!!

This really depends on how good the admin people are at whichever basic officer school you're going to. In an ideal world, you'd be taken into the DOD pay system on day one, and you'd get your first paycheck the following pay period (June 30th).

But, word of caution: when you first join the military (and when you check in to a new command), sometimes, your pay gets screwed up! Again, it just depends on how good the admin people are in setting you up. My pay was screwed up for the first 2-3 months when I went through officer training. It's eventually corrected, and you get every penny that you had coming to you, it just may take a couple months (at worst, shouldn't take any longer) to click in.

So have some back up funds available to get you by. If you really have no money and desperately need that first paycheck, talk to the pay admin people when you check in to ODS/COT/OBL to see if they can expedite your account.

This really depends on how good the admin people are at whichever basic officer school you're going to. In an ideal world, you'd be taken into the DOD pay system on day one, and you'd get your first paycheck the following pay period (June 30th).

But, word of caution: when you first join the military (and when you check in to a new command), sometimes, your pay gets screwed up! Again, it just depends on how good the admin people are in setting you up. My pay was screwed up for the first 2-3 months when I went through officer training. It's eventually corrected, and you get every penny that you had coming to you, it just may take a couple months (at worst, shouldn't take any longer) to click in.

So have some back up funds available to get you by. If you really have no money and desperately need that first paycheck, talk to the pay admin people when you check in to ODS/COT/OBL to see if they can expedite your account.

How much do we get paid during OBLC? I never really asked. It seems like a kind of important question.

How much do we get paid during OBLC? I never really asked. It seems like a kind of important question.

I think it's just whatever your basic pay is (no BAH or BAS, if I recall correctly).

I think it's just whatever your basic pay is (no BAH or BAS, if I recall correctly).

I found this in another thread about OBCL:

"As far as I know, its Base Pay+BAH+BAS+whatever travel pay they give you. Not sure how the travel pay would work other than to and from Ft. Sam, (inluding meals) + per diem rate for billeting. Especially if you are getting BAH and BAS. If you have dependents it will be more money."

I found this in another thread about OBCL:

"As far as I know, its Base Pay+BAH+BAS+whatever travel pay they give you. Not sure how the travel pay would work other than to and from Ft. Sam, (inluding meals) + per diem rate for billeting. Especially if you are getting BAH and BAS. If you have dependents it will be more money."

That makes no sense. When you live on base (free housing) you don't also get BAH. They are providing you with housing while you are ordered at OBC. If you have dependents, then it's another story though.

That makes no sense. When you live on base (free housing) you don't also get BAH. They are providing you with housing while you are ordered at OBC. If you have dependents, then it's another story though.

Thats correct if you're not already recieving BAH. If you are already active duty and headed to OBC before starting USUHS you will receive BAH so your family can still pay the rent wherever they are while you're in training. If you're coming out of ROTC or the civilian world no BAH until signing in at Bethesda.

For everyone waiting on orders the process seems to be moving now. I received my RFO yesterday (already on active duty and they know I'm coming so they don't have to wait til May) and should have my orders cut in the next week or so.

So, I'm confused. I got this in an email:

"FOR: School Code 081 ACADEMY OF HEALTH SCIENCES - SC: 081, FORT SAM HOUSTON, TEXAS 78234-6100
Course Number: 6-8-C20(OBLC USUHS), Phase , Course Title: AMEDD OFFICER BASIC (USUHS), Class 904,
Report date 2009-06-14 End date 2009-07-27
Class Location FORT SAM HOUSTON, TEXAS 78234-6100"

And then I get an email saying this:

."You must report for BOLC3 Course no later than 1600 on 26 Apr 09, you are required to sign in at Building 592 (BLDG 592 Dickman Road, you will find additional course information in the lobby of building 592)."

Which is it? Who do I need to contact about this? Does anyone else have this really confusing information?

"FOR: School Code 081 ACADEMY OF HEALTH SCIENCES - SC: 081, FORT SAM HOUSTON, TEXAS 78234-6100
Course Number: 6-8-C20(OBLC USUHS), Phase , Course Title: AMEDD OFFICER BASIC (USUHS), Class 904,

."You must report for BOLC3 Course no later than 1600 on 26 Apr 09, you are required to sign in at Building 592 (BLDG 592 Dickman Road, you will find additional course information in the lobby of building 592)."

Which is it? Who do I need to contact about this? Does anyone else have this really confusing information?

As far as I know, an email does not constitute a proper PCS or training order to go anywhere. Must be a new (Army) thing. First the Army have to commission you one way or another (or perhaps at BLOC). In any case, A paper order should direct you to BLOC, and possibly continue to USUHS afterwards: WHEN, WHERE, HOW TO ARRANGE/GET PAID FOR TRAVEL, AUTHORITY TO MOVE HOUSEHOLD GOODS AND/OR POV (to USU), ETC.

The yellow info sheet we all got on the interview day from Rebecca Patterson lists this person as the Army admin POC:
Ms. Louise Taylor, 502-626-0310, [email protected]

Navy POC: Lt Mike Bristol, [email protected] 901-874-4045

AF POC: Mr. Mathrew Kush, 210-565-0654, [email protected]

The bottom line for military new comer is this: if it sounds like BS, it is BS. Email "orders" is one of them (it might as well be an email directing us to send funds to a Nigerian bank account). It might not be a big deal for single guys. But imagine what happens for married students with kids and pets? How will the families meet up with them at USU? An email just doesn't cut it. Ask questions, and don't stop until you get the answers from the horse's mouth.

My sponsor contacted me a couple weeks ago. Call USU Student Affairs to inquire about yours.

Last edited:

The first email is to confirm that you have a spot, as of now, reserved at OBC this summer. They've been sending them out periodically for the past few weeks, and from what i can tell, it in order of admission (the first to get admitted to USUHS were emailed first and so on, they started on Feb. 24). I think this is what you're talking about it. The one from ahelp at msr.com? titled "Course Reservation Verification: Last Name First MI, O1"

The second email went out and was followed shortly by a third email that said,

" ALCON,

If you do not have follow on orders to FT SAM Houston for this time
period. Please disregard this email. I apologize for the confusion."

So disregard that report by APR 16, report date for OBC is 14June

Last edited:
The first email is to confirm that you have a spot, as of now, reserved at OBC this summer. They've been sending them out periodically for the past few weeks, and from what i can tell, it in order of admission (the first to get admitted to USUHS were emailed first and so on, they started on Feb. 24). I think this is what you're talking about it. The one from ahelp at msr.com? titled "Course Reservation Verification: Last Name First MI, O1"

The second email went out and was followed shortly by a third email that said,

" ALCON,

If you do not have follow on orders to FT SAM Houston for this time
period. Please disregard this email. I apologize for the confusion."

So disregard that report by APR 16

Yeah I read that 3rd email but wanted to make sure. I'm non-prior so I have no idea what is going on. Thanks for clearing up some confusion.

Hey guys. For those of you in the Army, I just talked with Ms. Taylor about the date to expect our orders. She informed me that the individual on her end has indicated that we should have our orders on the 11th of May. Hopefully this stays true. She told me the individual responsible for our orders is behind. Also, if you are like me and have not heard anything about a reserved seat for OBC and got accepted early in the cycle I would give her a call. I was told that they sent me an email on the 25th of February. I never got it.

Hey guys. For those of you in the Army, I just talked with Ms. Taylor about the date to expect our orders. She informed me that the individual on her end has indicated that we should have our orders on the 11th of May. Hopefully this stays true. She told me the individual responsible for our orders is behind. Also, if you are like me and have not heard anything about a reserved seat for OBC and got accepted early in the cycle I would give her a call. I was told that they sent me an email on the 25th of February. I never got it.

Appreciate the heads up man. I'm also Army and I received my conditional acceptance in October but never received an e-mail confirming a reservation for OBC, or anything else for that matter....so I called Ms. Taylor and left a voicemail.

Does anyone know when we get reimbursed for uniform purchases? I got an email from the OBLC class advisor Cpt. Rivera stating that we should show up with as much of our uniform as possible. Also, do we need our dress blue uniforms at OBLC? Maybe for graduation?

Does anyone know when we get reimbursed for uniform purchases? I got an email from the OBLC class advisor Cpt. Rivera stating that we should show up with as much of our uniform as possible. Also, do we need our dress blue uniforms at OBLC? Maybe for graduation?

From what I hear we graduate in our ACU's. I planned on getting the dress blues while there and just showing up with all the stuff on the list that can be found on the OBLC website.

Also, I found on the website that we are supposed to get the uniform allowance money 30-60 days after we get the OBLC. I believe it will be 600 dollars or so, but that isn't enough to cover all our costs in the end so just keep that in mind. I read on there that they said to have 1000 ready for just uniforms.

Also, I found on the website that we are supposed to get the uniform allowance money 30-60 days after we get the OBLC. I believe it will be 600 dollars or so, but that isn't enough to cover all our costs in the end so just keep that in mind. I read on there that they said to have 1000 ready for just uniforms.

As long as you don't have any pay problems (which happens a lot so be prepared) you should receive your clothing allowance in your second month probably at the midmonth pay check.

The allowance isn't remotely close to enough to cover uniform costs unless you by everything secondhand and know someone who can do alterations. Graduation is in ACU's but we wore dress blues for the dining in at the end of OBC.

Have any Navy people heard anything regarding orders yet? I looked on the form from last years class and it seems like it took a while.

Have any Navy people heard anything regarding orders yet? I looked on the form from last years class and it seems like it took a while.

I'm active duty and the medical detailer said that my orders should be out within the week. I'm not sure if there is a different timeline for non-priors.

You'll fill out the paperwork to get your uniform allowance once you get to USUHS. You'll wear ACUs and PT gear exclusively while at Ft. Sam, but you will want to pick up some class B's since you'll be wearing them to class on Thursdays. Eventually, you'll want to have A's, and then blues last. If you don't have tons of cash to throw at uniforms, no worries. They should offer you a 2K cash advance your by your 1st or 2nd week of OBLC. While your shopping, get yourself a camelback. You don't want to be stuck drinking from those nasty canteens in the 100 TX heat.

Hey everyone! I'm in the waiver process but hope to be unconditional Army class of 2013 soon! For those curious my interview was 01/29/09 and I was accepted via phone 03/04/09. Pins and needles for like 6 weeks, but it was worth the wait.
Can't wait to see you all at OBLC. By the way, if anyone is like me and needs a little training before hand, I'd like to join! I live near Arlington, VA. :thumbup:

congrats to all you guys in the class of 2013! i'm a current usuhs student and will be graduating in a month, and i truly loved my med school experience at usuhs.

i know it's hectic with trying to get orders, going to officer training, and trying to move. don't worry...it'll all work out. if anyone is interested, i have a 2 bedroom apartment less than 3 miles from school/base that i'm going to rent out. email me at [email protected] if you're interested and want details/photos.

I know that this is probably a sponsor-type question, but I'll throw it out there: does anyone know the uniform requirement for Second Look weekend (specifically Navy)? I guess I could just rock choker whites w/ sword and be safe, or maybe just wear a suit and pretend that I'm a dirty civilian (no offense to dirty civilians).

I know that this is probably a sponsor-type question, but I'll throw it out there: does anyone know the uniform requirement for Second Look weekend (specifically Navy)? I guess I could just rock choker whites w/ sword and be safe, or maybe just wear a suit and pretend that I'm a dirty civilian (no offense to dirty civilians).

This is the first time they have done a second look I believe, so I would just ask admissions what they prefer.

My gut would say khakis since it is the second look weekend not another interview but it can't hurt to call.

I say stand out for the interview, but blend in after acceptance. We are all lowly med students. The prior service designation will be increasingly irrelevant from here out (save for the "save pay").

Coveralls, ballcap, done. The dirtier the better.

This is from admissions Second Look Weekend Confirmation Letter:

"The day will be rather casual to accommodate your family members and other guests. So, business casual is the suggested attire for civilians. Navy personnel should wear whites. All others should wear Class B’s. This attire will suffice for both days."

This is from admissions Second Look Weekend Confirmation Letter:

"The day will be rather casual to accommodate your family members and other guests. So, business casual is the suggested attire for civilians. Navy personnel should wear whites. All others should wear Class B’s. This attire will suffice for both days."

holy christmas! they're actually gonna make you wear whites?! :laugh: Then you most certainly should take your swords as well.

I am here looking for some advice, as are most people on SDN. Here is my situation:

I am on the Air Force wait list at USUHS. I filled out my secondary VERY late and sent it in late January, and then interviewed on February 26 (their last day of interviews). I am happy to be on the waitlist as I assumed most of their class was full by the time I had interviewed. I loved the school and it is by far my first choice.

My predicament is this: I have an acceptance to another school and, if going to this other school, would use HPSP. I got a call from my recruiter today and I was "officially" selected for the scholarship and he told me that I have 72 hours (until this Friday) to commission. Upon commissioning, I will no longer be able to accept an offer at USUHS, if that option becomes available.

What would you do? Do you think there will be a lot of movement on the waitlist? Is it likely that I will get in off the waitlist? Is there somebody at the school I could talk to that would be willing to "spill the beans" a little to give me some honest odds to go on?

Any advice/opinion would be GREATLY appreciated. I wasn't expecting this curve ball. My recruiter knew that I was applying to USUHS, but never said that when it came down to it, I would have 72 hours to make a decision like this. I really don't want to re-apply for med school next year. I have an infant and another on the way and life is only getting more hectic. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

I am here looking for some advice, as are most people on SDN. Here is my situation:

I am on the Air Force wait list at USUHS. I filled out my secondary VERY late and sent it in late January, and then interviewed on February 26 (their last day of interviews). I am happy to be on the waitlist as I assumed most of their class was full by the time I had interviewed. I loved the school and it is by far my first choice.

My predicament is this: I have an acceptance to another school and, if going to this other school, would use HPSP. I got a call from my recruiter today and I was "officially" selected for the scholarship and he told me that I have 72 hours (until this Friday) to commission. Upon commissioning, I will no longer be able to accept an offer at USUHS, if that option becomes available.

What would you do? Do you think there will be a lot of movement on the waitlist? Is it likely that I will get in off the waitlist? Is there somebody at the school I could talk to that would be willing to "spill the beans" a little to give me some honest odds to go on?

Any advice/opinion would be GREATLY appreciated. I wasn't expecting this curve ball. My recruiter knew that I was applying to USUHS, but never said that when it came down to it, I would have 72 hours to make a decision like this. I really don't want to re-apply for med school next year. I have an infant and another on the way and life is only getting more hectic. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Ignore the recruiter. He/she does not have the upper hand, you do. There is no reason you must accept the scholarship/commission anytime soon. You can even wait until school starts to take the scholarship.

Ignore the recruiter. He/she does not have the upper hand, you do. There is no reason you must accept the scholarship/commission anytime soon. You can even wait until school starts to take the scholarship.

Are you certain about this? I would really hate to turn the HPSP down by not commissioning by Friday (if this really is the case and I would lose the scholarship by not commissioning) and not getting a spot at USUHS. Is there a good way to verify if what you are saying is true? Not that I assume you are lying to me, just need some definite answers before potentially losing a scholarship like this. Thanks.