USUHS vs. HPSP

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by AmyBass2011, Apr 2, 2004.

1. AmyBass2011

AmyBass2011 Member
    5+ Year Member

Can someone give some advice on if a military medical school in which you need to give 7 years to the service differs from the HPSP (Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Program). I am really trying to decide which one to apply for... My goal is to be an ob/gyn... so which gets the top picks for military residencies?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. edmadison

edmadison 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    At least in the army, the stats are even in terms of getting residencies. Tie goes to the USUHS folks I would imagine, though.

Ed

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. haujun

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Apply to USUHS if you are serious about making military medicine your career! Aim for high achivement if you want the top pick. There is no short cut.

4. Alli Cat

Alli Cat Flygirl
    7+ Year Member

No offense but... what does this even mean?? :confused:

5. haujun

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Some HPSP students may think that USUHS graduates will get their "top picks" because they are required to do military residency. However, the ultimate acceptance into the competitive residencies (which vary from year to year) depend on the individual's high achievement i.e. grades and board scores NOT on type of program i.e. USUHS or HPSP...

6. r90t

r90t Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    HPSP Docs owe 4 years. Can do deferred civilian residency training without further obligation. Rotate at a wider variety institutions and hopefully learn a bit of the business end of medicine.

USUHS owe 7 years. Do the vast majority of their rotations at military facilities. Cannot defer to civilian programs. Get paid well as a med student with benefits (0-1 pay, however no incurred time in service). Get to do some cool rotations and generally know more about military stuff as interns.

Boards scores/class rank/prior service/awards/prior medical experience/fitness reports are how you are selected for residency. A tie may go to the student/intern who may be known to board members. It is a very objective scoring criteria to avoid favortism.