USUHS vs. HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmyBass2011

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone give some advice on if a military medical school in which you need to give 7 years to the service differs from the HPSP (Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Program). I am really trying to decide which one to apply for... My goal is to be an ob/gyn... so which gets the top picks for military residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by AmyBass2011
Can someone give some advice on if a military medical school in which you need to give 7 years to the service differs from the HPSP (Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Program). I am really trying to decide which one to apply for... My goal is to be an ob/gyn... so which gets the top picks for military residencies?

At least in the army, the stats are even in terms of getting residencies. Tie goes to the USUHS folks I would imagine, though.

Ed

Apply to USUHS if you are serious about making military medicine your career! Aim for high achivement if you want the top pick. There is no short cut.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by haujun
Aim for high achivement if you want the top pick. There is no short cut.

No offense but... what does this even mean?? :confused:

Some HPSP students may think that USUHS graduates will get their "top picks" because they are required to do military residency. However, the ultimate acceptance into the competitive residencies (which vary from year to year) depend on the individual's high achievement i.e. grades and board scores NOT on type of program i.e. USUHS or HPSP...

HPSP Docs owe 4 years. Can do deferred civilian residency training without further obligation. Rotate at a wider variety institutions and hopefully learn a bit of the business end of medicine.

USUHS owe 7 years. Do the vast majority of their rotations at military facilities. Cannot defer to civilian programs. Get paid well as a med student with benefits (0-1 pay, however no incurred time in service). Get to do some cool rotations and generally know more about military stuff as interns.

Boards scores/class rank/prior service/awards/prior medical experience/fitness reports are how you are selected for residency. A tie may go to the student/intern who may be known to board members. It is a very objective scoring criteria to avoid favortism.