USUHS vs HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does going to USUHS have any benefit over going HPSP when it comes to residency placement?

One other question (I dont want to start another thread for this alone):

Is it possible to choose a civilian residency over a millitary residency? The reason I ask is that I am very interested in trauma surg. right now and keep reading that millitary surgery is inferior to civilian surgery (I imagine i'd probably see a lot more trauma in Detroit than at a AF hospital).

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Cerberus said:
Does going to USUHS have any benefit over going HPSP when it comes to residency placement?

One other question (I dont want to start another thread for this alone):

Is it possible to choose a civilian residency over a millitary residency? The reason I ask is that I am very interested in trauma surg. right now and keep reading that millitary surgery is inferior to civilian surgery (I imagine i'd probably see a lot more trauma in Detroit than at a AF hospital).

thanks
USUHS = almost certainly a military residency

Choose civ over mil? Only if they choose to give you that choice. The military match is a few months before the regular match. If you get selected, that's where you are going.

I'm sure if you search for militaryMD's posts, you will get a good feeling for the quality of surgical training in the military. Synopsis: Not enough cases and an administration that prioritizes "military-ness" over medical training.