USUHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zero Cool

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received an invite to interview at this school and I have a few questions for everyone out there. I know I have not been accepted yet, but I am still courious about a few things.

First, for any one who is currently going to the school, gone to the school, or on the military scholarship, how hard is it to get a job in the civilian market when you have completed your payback years? Do they feel that since you went through a military residency that you are not as qualified as civilian doctors? What about getting a civilian residency? I know that you have to apply to the military match program, but if you are not selected (i.e. you select a speciality that does not have a lot of openings in the military) do you then apply to the civilian match program. Will you be applying late and be at a disadvantage or does the military try to match before the civilian applications are due.

Second, Which branch is more friendly toward being married? In other words which one will not have me shipped out for 6 months at a time. I know that each branch has the possibility of being shipped out, but I have heard that some are more probable than others. I'm really interested in the Navy, but I would not like to be away from my wife for 6 months at a time. I would rather pick the Air Force and not be sent everywhere. But I have also heard that the Army has a better selections to be stationed at through out the U.S. I hope you understand what I'm getting at. I know that I may be sent out but which branch has the lowest possibility/frequency of this occurance?

Thanks for everyones input...

Members don't see this ad.

Zero Cool,
All military Medical education programs (i.e. residencies, fellowships, etc.) are goverened by the same civilian body as civilian programs. They are held to the same standard and Doctors who complete the programs are required to pass the same boards as their civilian conterparts. As for moving on to a civilian practice, you are looked at as no different if not better, (military residency board pass rates are above national avereage)
HPSP recipients use the computer match and must put military residency programs as their first 5 choices.
I am an Army Health Care Recruiter so the service I would recommend is obvious. I would advise you to locate persons who have taken the scholarship from each of the services.Otherwise GOARMY!
Good luck, and if you have any other questions feel free to contact me using my profile info.

[This message has been edited by DocHunter9 (edited 09-07-2000).]