Usuhs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the info! I'm really looking forward to it haha.

(part of me is just excited to be done with undergrad)

Any suggestions for living arrangements? How'd you guys figure out where you were living? I'd like to live somewhere a lil more affordable, I was hoping to live further up the metro & then just take the metro to school everyday. (I will be married by the time I move out there)

Members don't see this ad.

One of my fellow interviewees has been living in DC, she gave me the following breakdown:

Try and find a place on the red line, having to line switch is annoying at 6:30-7 in the morning and can ruin your day regularly.

The dividing line is Rock Creek Park, the farther west you get from Rock Creek, the more expensive it gets, anything west of it is pretty darn safe in DC, so you're good there.

She noted the best mix of price to safety was just to the East of Rock Creek in her opinion (in that it's cheaper, but still pretty safe).

Some housing options from some of the people kind enough to answer my questions:
-One guy who has a wife and two kids bought a house up near Baltimore, BAH covers it, gets him the space, white picket fence, and just a bit longer of a commute
-One girl has a house she shares with three of her classmates that is quite literally across the street from the school, walking distance.
-Another guy is a metro man riding the red line in from DC where he lives with his wife.

All noted they are able to live under their BAH comfortably. They also noted that if you go crazy for your clerkships and post-clerkships and travel the world, you can just rent a storage locker, hide your stuff there and live out of a suitcase for the 5-week clerkship intervals. And you get to pocket the excess BAH.
If you try and do most of your stuff at Walter Reed, then the suggestion seems to be try and buy a condo or house if you can afford the down payment, live in it, then rent it out after you leave to give yourself a bit of passive income after you leave USU.

Otherwise, just make sure wherever you go you have a clause in the lease allowing for military orders (so you're not stuck paying for a lease you're not using).
---
From what I know, the school recommends not making housing arrangements until after ODS/COT/(whatever the army calls theirs), just as a disclaimer.

---
Also, I can commiserate on the undergrad part. I have 7 units left to do over the spring semester... ugh.
Hope the info helps :)

Last edited:
Ok so I'm a junior in high school and I've been thinking about going into the military since my freshman year. But, I don't know if it's the right decision for me. See, I want to be an anesthesiologist, so I want to do AFROTC in college. The problem is I don't know how long I want to be in the military for. I've already done plenty of research and I know you give back 4 years with ROTC, but I don't understand what happens after when you graduate. Like do I apply for the HPSP/ USUHS in my senior year and complete med school and finally do my residency or does the military force me into working somewhere right after undergrad? ( I know I may not be explaining this correctly) Basically, can someone tell me what happens after doing ROTC when you're becoming a doctor. Also, how many years will I have to serve after college and med school? This is a deal breaker in my decision for what I do in college... Hopefully somebody has some answers or ANY comments or advice to share. Thx :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok so I'm a junior in high school and I've been thinking about going into the military since my freshman year. But, I don't know if it's the right decision for me. See, I want to be an anesthesiologist, so I want to do AFROTC in college. The problem is I don't know how long I want to be in the military for. I've already done plenty of research and I know you give back 4 years with ROTC, but I don't understand what happens after when you graduate. Like do I apply for the HPSP/ USUHS in my senior year and complete med school and finally do my residency or does the military force me into working somewhere right after undergrad? ( I know I may not be explaining this correctly) Basically, can someone tell me what happens after doing ROTC when you're becoming a doctor. Also, how many years will I have to serve after college and med school? This is a deal breaker in my decision for what I do in college... Hopefully somebody has some answers or ANY comments or advice to share. Thx :)

So you apply for HPSP/USUHS senior year, correct. You then do medical school, then either a GMO tour or residency. With this, your 4 from RO would stack to your 4 from HPSP or your seven for USUHS, so you'd be in for 8-11 years after you complete your residency (which can be 3-8 years).

You can be forced into doing something right after undergrad, with RO, you apply for what spot you want to get into which is based on various factors from grades to tests to PFA results amongst others. However, as long as you get good grades, and you get to know your RO instructors, they'll work with you to get you to where you want to go.

If that's medical school, they will help you get there and they'll walk you through the paperwork you need to do (you just need to fill out various fun bits to go straight in to med school, but it's very very doable).

In terms of commitment, it's going to be a long haul no matter what. If you do RO, you have an automatic 4 years tacked on to whatever service you incur in medical school, however, if you have a residency that lasts longer than 4 years, you will serve that amount of time back instead of 4 (whichever is longer, 4 years or length of residency). The same applies for USUHS, though usually people don't do residencies longer than 7 years.

The MS2 I spoke to at USUHS did RO and then went there. The reasons she gave for this was she was going to have an obnoxiously long commitment either way, might as well get the benefits of USUHS: the networking, the DoD sim center, the clerkships/post-clerkships, and the full salary while attending.

So if you only do HPSP, no RO, only 4 years or residency length. If you do RO and then one of the options, you're looking at 8-11 years in after you complete your residency. Kind of crazy to think you'll be contracting yourself into a job for a decade plus when a decade ago you were hopping around elementary school.

Looking for some advice. Really want to go to USUHS as I want to serve. I have 31 Mcat, 3.76 gpa. Lacking some on ECs though. 100 hours hospital volunteer, 100 hours shadowing, 30 he research, 25 hours tutoring inner city school children. Looking for ideas on other things. Have two young kids so its hard to do a lot for ecs. I have also emailed and talked on the phone with current milatary MDs but that is my only military experience. Should I look into shadowing a military Doc? Do they even allow that? Any advice greatly appreciated.

You're a shoe in. Just apply early (meaning, send in the frickin AMCAS on day one, so you can get a Sept/Oct interview). You have plenty of ECs (volunteering and all), need nothing further (the greatest fallacy amongst premeds is that you need a ton of ECs to get into medical school . . .not true . . .you should have one or two . . spend the rest of your time concentrating on school, which you've done). You don't have to shadow a military doctor necessarily, though it might be a very educational process. I would definitely at least talk to some mil docs, to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into. And USUHS is a very family friendly school, and the paycheck helps ensure your family doesnt starve while you're a student.

@Buckeye, you should be good. Like the above posted stated, apply EARLY! USUHS sends out secondaries immediately, if I remember correctly. The sooner you get your application complete (along with DODMERB physical/security paperwork) the better.

This last application cycle I applied with a 29Q, 3.65 cGPA (3.6 sGPA), and I was accepted to USUHS along with a couple other schools. (chose a different school than USUHS).

So based on what you wrote I see no reason that you couldn't get in to USUHS. By the way, USUHS was a great school, I absolutely loved it... I just got another opportunity that I cannot refuse.

3rd year at USUHS myself, got in with a 31Q, 3.6 GPA, community service extracurriculars; got into a couple of other schools and HPSP program, but I wanted to go full on military for numerous reasons. Submitted everything in June, and then got my secondary in July, then interviewed in in October, was in by Thanksgiving.

You go to your respective COT/BOLC/Navy training the summer before which (for army) is 3 weeks of mind-numbingly boring powerpoints ( you are literally staying at a holiday inn) that really don't apply to you until residency and beyond, to camping out "in the field" for 3 weeks in air conditioned tents, learning to shoot, going through obstacle courses, and no showers.

I have read many posts about losing credentialling and becoming more administrative over the course of paying back your military time, but I have yet to experience this...

Does anyone know if sending a letter of intent will help?

I applied super early (was complete with letters and suppl. by the first week of July) but didn't interview until the last date. They called me up like a week before the interview, and I had already assumed I was silently rejected!. My interview day really made me want to go there. I loved it.

They said I won't hear back about rejections/wait-list until May 1. I know it's really late in the cycle, and since I have other acceptances, I'm not sure what my chances are, but I feel like I can't just sit back and let the opportunity pass. I should do SOMETHING! So would a letter of intent help? And if so, how do I not make it sound desperate? I kind of just want to write "I WANT TO GO HERE SO PLEASE ACCEPT ME DOUBLE-PLEASE!!!"

Last edited:
Does anyone know if sending a letter of intent will help?

No, probably not. Quite honestly, an interview this late is not good news....but, that you got one at all means you still have a chance. If you have an acceptance to another MD school, I'd keep that option very open. You could always do hpsp or join the mil later.

Has anyone got any idea on the chances of a non-trad at USUHS? I'm 35 with 10 years prior enlisted time, 3.3 cGPA/3.0sGPA, retaking the MCAT. I've got plenty of civilian leadership experience, patient contacts (currently in the medical field), strong LOR's with one coming from a current .mil physician. I know I'll have to get the age waiver- have there been any lately?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone got any idea on the chances of a non-trad at USUHS? I'm 35 with 10 years prior enlisted time, 3.3 cGPA/3.0sGPA, retaking the MCAT. I've got plenty of civilian leadership experience, patient contacts (currently in the medical field), strong LOR's with one coming from a current .mil physician. I know I'll have to get the age waiver- have there been any lately?

There is a 35 year old in the class of 2016 who had no previous military time. Your GPA will be the tougher part than your age. Crush the MCAT.

Recently have had renewed interest in USUHS.

A few questions...

1) Is it possible to do research or rotations at CDC or NIH either during or after med school?
2) is it possible to do an MPH while in the military?
3) do USUHS students do all clerkships at MTFs or are some at local hospitals (GWU, Maryland, etc.)?
4) are there international health opportunities during medical school? (I expect there will be plenty of opportunities to visit MENA after residency...)

Thank you!

Recently have had renewed interest in USUHS.

A few questions...

1) Is it possible to do research or rotations at CDC or NIH either during or after med school?
2) is it possible to do an MPH while in the military?
3) do USUHS students do all clerkships at MTFs or are some at local hospitals (GWU, Maryland, etc.)?
4) are there international health opportunities during medical school? (I expect there will be plenty of opportunities to visit MENA after residency...)

Thank you!
1) yes, but is highly discouraged by staff
2) No
3) All of the clerkships are done at military hospitals/clinics across the country. They do not cooperate with any other area hospitals
4) Yes, you can elect to do some of your clerkships overseas. This is based on a lottery system.

2) No
3) All of the clerkships are done at military hospitals/clinics across the country. They do not cooperate with any other area hospitals
4) Yes, you can elect to do some of your clerkships overseas. This is based on a lottery system.
Unless things have changed with curriculum reform...

2) Isn't an MPH part of an ID fellowship? Haven't looked into it myself but a friend of mine who is pretty gung ho ID said it was so...
3) there are a few clerkships that have civilian rotations in the area. Psych, obgyn and ER come to mind. Also people do medicine rotations at the VA. You can of course set up a fourth year clerkship pretty much wherever you want as long as it gets approved.
4) Never really had a lottery for people that want to go overseas, its pretty much first come first served. It is only for fourth year and you have to pay your own way. That said still not a bad gig.

2) No

Sorry, but 2-4 are wrong answers. I don't know much about 1, but I imagine you could if you wanted to during fourth year. I also haven't noticed any discouragement in the pursuit of any goals. I mean, if your goal is PrevMed or infectious disease, why would they discourage you from doing rotations at the CDC or NIH?

2. Yes, there are several ways to get an MPH in the military and most are related to your residency or fellowship. If you do Aerospace Med you will get your MPH (for Navy and Army, not sure about Air Force). I believe if you do PrevMed you will also get an MPH. While less common, you could probably go for an MPH after being an attending in any other discipline if you wanted, but would have to push for it.

3&4. The core clerkship year (second half of MS2 and first half of MS3) is pretty much exclusively done at military MTFs. The rest of the time you can set up pretty much anything you want as long as your coordinate it far enough in advance. Want to do a trauma rotation at Baltimore Shock, set it up and they will let you. Have a favorite doc you want to work with back home for a month, set it up and they will let you. There has to be memorandum of understandings or letters of agreement as well as a syllabus of what you will learn or what is required by the school to be covered. Start the process early because if you tell them on Friday that you want to do something like that on Monday it isn't happening.

The school will not fund anything outside the required EM, Neuro, and sub-I during the fourth year so you'll be out of pocket on any expenses for travel and lodging on anything else. There are opportunities at military clinics overseas, but they don't have to be military related. The more effort and planning you put in, the more likely it is to happen.

Last edited:
2) No

What crack you smokin?! You gave bad info for almost every question, and did it with such authority. You'll make an excellent officer.

Listen to SirGecko and CooperDog, they got it right.

3rd year at USUHS myself, got in with a 31Q, 3.6 GPA, community service extracurriculars; got into a couple of other schools and HPSP program, but I wanted to go full on military for numerous reasons. Submitted everything in June, and then got my secondary in July, then interviewed in in October, was in by Thanksgiving.

You go to your respective COT/BOLC/Navy training the summer before which (for army) is 3 weeks of mind-numbingly boring powerpoints ( you are literally staying at a holiday inn) that really don't apply to you until residency and beyond, to camping out "in the field" for 3 weeks in air conditioned tents, learning to shoot, going through obstacle courses, and no showers.

I have read many posts about losing credentialling and becoming more administrative over the course of paying back your military time, but I have yet to experience this...

that sounds way better than the navy one

What crack you smokin?! You gave bad info for almost every question, and did it with such authority. You'll make an excellent officer.

Thanks to you all! Much appreciated.

Does anyone have a good contact for the Public Health Service at USUHS?

I emailed a few questions to the contact listed on this website, but got a failed delivery message.

Thank you!

Last edited:
WASHINGTON, March 21, 2013 – The Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md. -- the only university of its kind dedicated to educating military doctors, graduate nurses and other specialized health-care professionals -- has earned distinction as one of the top-ranked U.S. graduate schools. U.S. News & World Report identified the university's F. Edward Hebert School of Medicine as a top-tier medical school in its "Best Graduate Schools 2014" rankings released last week.

-Not that we live-and-die by these rankings, but it is nice to see USUHS get a little recognition now-and-then. Good school, I had a great time there. Good luck to all those now applying.

WASHINGTON, March 21, 2013 – The Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md. -- the only university of its kind dedicated to educating military doctors, graduate nurses and other specialized health-care professionals -- has earned distinction as one of the top-ranked U.S. graduate schools. U.S. News & World Report identified the university's F. Edward Hebert School of Medicine as a top-tier medical school in its "Best Graduate Schools 2014" rankings released last week.

-Not that we live-and-die by these rankings, but it is nice to see USUHS get a little recognition now-and-then. Good school, I had a great time there. Good luck to all those now applying.

Yeah, ranked #39 i think it was. Nice to see we're in the Top 50.

I didn't mean for it to come off as definite. I shared what I know thus far from what I have been told. Apparently I wasn't given the whole story. If other have alternate answers which are better informed then they can add or take away, which some did. Thanks for the additional information SirGecko and CooperDog.

I didn't mean for it to come off as definite. I shared what I know thus far from what I have been told. Apparently I wasn't given the whole story. If other have alternate answers which are better informed then they can add or take away, which some did. Thanks for the additional information SirGecko and CooperDog.
There is a lot of bad info out there about military education, benefits, GME, policies, etc. That's why people tend to post qualifications and experience when answering questions.

Feel free to "share what you know" but be sure to let folks know how well you know it. If you'd stated "this is what I heard but I'm a premed who hasn't yet attended USUHS," folks can take it with a grain of salt.

All,

Transitioned from USMC last Fall after 9.5 years as an active infantry officer with 5 deployments. Left solely to pursue a dream of becoming a physician. Currently enrolled in a state school as a post-bacc; taking all pre-reqs as a biochemistry major. Will be complete with MCAT and pre-reqs by next year's application cycle. Graduated from college in 2003 with BA Poli-Sci and a dismal 2.59 cGPA. Unfortunately I took Bio I/II, Chem I, OrgO I, and two semesters of Calculus during my 2.0 GPA freshman year before switching to a Poli-Sci major and "repairing" some of that first year's damage. 10 years after graduating - I'm back to re-take what I screwed-up before, and to finish the pre-reqs. On track so far.

Understanding that 1) I'm an "old" guy and 2) repairing my cGPA will take more time than I have in my GI Bill (or, in mama's patience); did I just make a tremendous mistake walking away from a successful military career to roll the dice as a pre-med? Motivation to become a Navy physician is high, and I have a clear reason as to why I left the USMC to pursue this goal of military medicine. I am extremely confident that I will continue to perform well in the rest of my pre-req classes (3.6-3.8); I have EMT and ER volunteer experience, as well as combat lifesaving experience, still serving in the Reserves, and I will be taking an MCAT primer next January. I am considering the DO path, but my top choice has been and will continue to be USUHS. Worked with a few alums in the Fleet who are good-to-go, and I am anxious to get back "home" to the military life offered by USUHS.

If there are any current students or alumni out there who would shine a light on my pursuit of USUHS, I'd appreciate any words you might have. I am all too aware of my numbers falling short, but I maintain some hope that my cGPA was created over 10 years ago, and a lot of water has passed under the bridge. Can I repair the damage with new, improved science grades? Will my application even get through the initial screening with cGPA of ~2.9 with post-bacc GPA of ~3.7 and say, a 30 MCAT? Numbers considered, will my experience as a Marine infantry officer over a decade of conflict get me a second look with USUHS admissions? What would you advise a guy in my position to do over the next 12 months to set conditions for a competitive application? I am aware of HPSP and the grade forgiveness of DO schools, but I have set USUHS as my goal, and would like to take a run at it.

Thanks to any and all respondents.

raider6, I think you have good odds for USUHS, assuming you do well with classes now and put up a respectable score on the MCAT. You are exactly the person USUHS is made for.

Caveat - I'm not on the admissions committee :) and I'm an '02 grad so my feel for the school may be a bit outdated.

All,

Will my application even get through the initial screening with cGPA of ~2.9 with post-bacc GPA of ~3.7 and say, a 30 MCAT? Numbers considered, will my experience as a Marine infantry officer over a decade of conflict get me a second look with USUHS admissions? What would you advise a guy in my position to do over the next 12 months to set conditions for a competitive application? I am aware of HPSP and the grade forgiveness of DO schools, but I have set USUHS as my goal, and would like to take a run at it.

Hate to disagree with pgg but a 2.9 is not going to get a bite and there is a reasonable chance you won't get an HPSP scholarship to be a DO either. You can't afford to average a 3.7 in your post-bacc. Your time as a Marine is a very good thing but won't overcome being that far outside the standard. I'd recommend calling the USUHS office of admissions and asking to talk to someone there. Its outside application season now so they should have time for you.

You can also talk to the HPSP types:
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/accessions/Pages/ContactUs.aspx

I hope I'm wrong but I suspect you'll need at least another year to get this accomplished and even then its going to be a crapshoot.

Hate to disagree with pgg but a 2.9 is not going to get a bite and there is a reasonable chance you won't get an HPSP scholarship to be a DO either. You can't afford to average a 3.7 in your post-bacc. Your time as a Marine is a very good thing but won't overcome being that far outside the standard. I'd recommend calling the USUHS office of admissions and asking to talk to someone there. Its outside application season now so they should have time for you.

You can also talk to the HPSP types:
http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/accessions/Pages/ContactUs.aspx

I hope I'm wrong but I suspect you'll need at least another year to get this accomplished and even then its going to be a crapshoot.

If he continues to perform reasonably well in the post-back and does break 30 on the MCATs, I would give him slightly better than even odds for HPSP. Part of the scoring for HPSP is the extra points for active duty time. Those 6 points would make him more competitive despite the dismal undergrad GPA. His initial objective score would be the same as someone with a 3.4/3.5 GPA who had not been AD.

When the board looks at older individuals who had less than stellar initial undergad, it does consider current trends. Apply early to both med school and the scholarship and go from there.

All,

Transitioned from USMC last Fall after 9.5 years as an active infantry officer with 5 deployments. Left solely to pursue a dream of becoming a physician. Currently enrolled in a state school as a post-bacc; taking all pre-reqs as a biochemistry major. Will be complete with MCAT and pre-reqs by next year's application cycle. Graduated from college in 2003 with BA Poli-Sci and a dismal 2.59 cGPA. Unfortunately I took Bio I/II, Chem I, OrgO I, and two semesters of Calculus during my 2.0 GPA freshman year before switching to a Poli-Sci major and "repairing" some of that first year's damage. 10 years after graduating - I'm back to re-take what I screwed-up before, and to finish the pre-reqs. On track so far.

Understanding that 1) I'm an "old" guy and 2) repairing my cGPA will take more time than I have in my GI Bill (or, in mama's patience); did I just make a tremendous mistake walking away from a successful military career to roll the dice as a pre-med? Motivation to become a Navy physician is high, and I have a clear reason as to why I left the USMC to pursue this goal of military medicine. I am extremely confident that I will continue to perform well in the rest of my pre-req classes (3.6-3.8); I have EMT and ER volunteer experience, as well as combat lifesaving experience, still serving in the Reserves, and I will be taking an MCAT primer next January. I am considering the DO path, but my top choice has been and will continue to be USUHS. Worked with a few alums in the Fleet who are good-to-go, and I am anxious to get back "home" to the military life offered by USUHS.

If there are any current students or alumni out there who would shine a light on my pursuit of USUHS, I'd appreciate any words you might have. I am all too aware of my numbers falling short, but I maintain some hope that my cGPA was created over 10 years ago, and a lot of water has passed under the bridge. Can I repair the damage with new, improved science grades? Will my application even get through the initial screening with cGPA of ~2.9 with post-bacc GPA of ~3.7 and say, a 30 MCAT? Numbers considered, will my experience as a Marine infantry officer over a decade of conflict get me a second look with USUHS admissions? What would you advise a guy in my position to do over the next 12 months to set conditions for a competitive application? I am aware of HPSP and the grade forgiveness of DO schools, but I have set USUHS as my goal, and would like to take a run at it.

I was in a similar situation. I was active duty Army and turned down many other lucrative career opportunities to pursue my medical career (which meant living off of very little for the last three years). I will be starting USUHS this year.

First: I would highly recommend calling USUHS admissions, they are very helpful and friendly and can give you the "straight up," so to speak.

Second: If you are going to attack this goal, do it 100%. Do not settle for anything less than a 4.0, and take on some challenging courses, not just GPA "fluffers." The admissions people have seen it all and they can read between the lines. An "A" at some random online school in introductory biology is not the same as an "A" at a reputable school in honors molecular biology, or something similar.
This goes for the MCAT too, try to get a 40 if at all possible. Is a 4.0 and a 40 absolutely necessary? No. But, it's also not unreasonable with the appropriate study plan and that is a sure-fire way to prove that your past is exactly that, the past.

The military part of your application will be a phenomenal asset if used correctly. Not just because of your experiences, but because of how well you carry yourself, address others, etc. However, it will not compensate heavily for academics. I have seen multiple people so far in my pre-med tenure assume they are guaranteed an acceptance somewhere because they were a combat medic, or active officer, etc. Many of them have been disappointed.

Just my $0.02. I wish you the best of luck!

Not to hijack a thread...but i couldn't find a better place to ask:
Has anybody out here done a regular commute from Ft Belvoir to USUHS, and if so, how is it...given the workload of classes and typical departure time from campus?
I know the area, but don't know if it is realistic to consider on base housing.
thanks

that would be a terrible idea unless you had a spouse or something who had to work in alexandria and/or was assigned to belvoir (I don't even think USUHS students can get Ft. Belvoir housing...). There is pseudo "on-post" housing by Forest Glen, which some classmates took advantage of. From what I hear, there was a decent wait list, and it would only be feasible if you have a big family. (and if you don't have a big family, why would you want to live on post...BAH is totally enough to live comfortably)

Not to hijack a thread...but i couldn't find a better place to ask:
Has anybody out here done a regular commute from Ft Belvoir to USUHS, and if so, how is it...given the workload of classes and typical departure time from campus?
I know the area, but don't know if it is realistic to consider on base housing.
thanks

Insanity.

Thanks for the reply; I have a spouse who works in Alexandria, and 2 kids...so we are considering it. but if it's bad enough, she would quit, and we would move closer. Just thinking it all thru..

Not saying you couldn't get a place in between...I know a couple of classmates who made the (insane) commute from virginia. That said, I don't think your original question about Ft. Belvoir housing applies. Good luck!

I went to USUHS (and interned at Bethesda) and lived in the ghetto near Wheaton / Silver Spring for my first year. Fairly quick AM commute. Then bought a house in Damascus and commuted from there. Great place to live. Terrible commute:

35-40 minutes with no traffic, but up to 90 with traffic. Absolutely critical to get in early every day. Rush hour going home was awful.

If I had it to do over again, I'd live a lot closer.

I am a PA currently AD as a Medical Service Officer in the Navy. I want to become a doctor, not only to better my clinical knowledge, but to offer the most to the Navy and my community. I know there are a lot of great opportunities to excel as a PA, but I would be limitless as a Physician.

I already am pretty well dedicated to the Navy (already serving 5 years AD) and have learned A LOT both about medicine and how it applies to the military. I have worked in a lot of fields from primary care to general surgery.

So that being said. What do you think USUHS will take from me as an applicant? GPA and MCAT numbers aside (they are slightly lower than avg but still worthy in my opinoin), do you think I would be laughed at for applying or welcomed and given an opportunity?

Thanks

I am a PA currently AD as a Medical Service Officer in the Navy. I want to become a doctor, not only to better my clinical knowledge, but to offer the most to the Navy and my community. I know there are a lot of great opportunities to excel as a PA, but I would be limitless as a Physician.

I think most doctors would beg to differ . . .I bet there's plenty of situations in which they feel very "limited".

do you think I would be laughed at for applying or welcomed and given an opportunity?

No you wouldn't be laughed at, you're more than welcome to apply. There seems to be a PA in every other class or so at USUHS, so you certainly wouldn't be the first. MCAT/GPA are very important, ballpark numbers for USUHS are a 3.5 GPA and 30 MCAT. Good numbers and applying early in the cycle are the primary factors in achieving admission. Other activities (military service, previous clinical experiences, etc), are important at a secondary level, and you have that well-covered.

I already am pretty well dedicated to the Navy (already serving 5 years AD) and have learned A LOT both about medicine and how it applies to the military. I have worked in a lot of fields from primary care to general surgery.

So that being said. What do you think USUHS will take from me as an applicant? GPA and MCAT numbers aside (they are slightly lower than avg but still worthy in my opinoin), do you think I would be laughed at for applying or welcomed and given an opportunity?

Thanks

Under today's conditions......might not be laughed at, but might not be offered an interview. You could go HPSP and attend another med school if not offered the opportunity to attend USUHS.

Thanks for the replies.
I see your point about feeling limited at a doctor, but I will always be less limited a PA. That's the inherent irony of the whole profession IMO. There is simply no where to hit the tippy top, especially in the Navy. It becomes more difficult to rank up in the navy and some PA's are even forced out due to replacements by younger and "cheaper" PAs (less cost to the military to pay a 0 years of service brand new LTJG vs a >8 year LT or LCDR).

There is simply more that I want to acheive in the practice medicine that I feel only becoming a physician will grant me access to. I don't want this topic to turn into why I am choosing to become a physician; I simply want to see what people's opinions are about my non-traditional status as a USUHS applicant. Again, thank you for the replies.

Hypothetically speaking, what would happen if an accepted student showed up for officer's training out of physical regulations? Either height/weight or PT...
Can they rescind your acceptance? Do you have until the end of officer's training to get in regs?

Hypothetically speaking, what would happen if an accepted student showed up for officer's training out of physical regulations? Either height/weight or PT...
Can they rescind your acceptance? Do you have until the end of officer's training to get in regs?

Missing weight can get you sent home. It is at the discretion of the School CO.

Failing the PT test, that will get you up early for remedial. PT. I don't recall anyone not graduating due to the PT test though, but again that would be at the discretion of the CO. The minimum standards are just not that hard, by the end of the time you should be able to pass.

Missing weight can get you sent home. It is at the discretion of the School CO.

Failing the PT test, that will get you up early for remedial. PT. I don't recall anyone not graduating due to the PT test though, but again that would be at the discretion of the CO. The minimum standards are just not that hard, by the end of the time you should be able to pass.

Will they tape test you for body fat at ODS if you miss weight? I had to get tape tested for DoDMERB, so I'll likely need to again...

Hello wise sages of the USUHS board,

I have a few questions, and I hope that you can guide my planning. I have read most of this thread (54 pages!) but I have some questions that I didn't see asked before recently.

Background:
BA intelligence Studies (I used to be a human intelligence guy) 4.0 GPA
MS Biology (complete spring 2014) 4.0 GPA so far
I have been active duty in the national guard (AGR) for about 10 years
I am currently a combat medic and work in a laboratory
EMT, PALS, ACLS, ABLS, BLS
I am 28, have three kids, SSG 68W

Story: I am very interested in attending USUHS, but do not have all of the prerequisites complete, and I will not be able to complete them in my current active status. I am planning on moving in with my in-laws to reduce costs while I go to school for a year to finish my prereqs.

Questions:
- Is my background likely to be attractive to the admissions board, assuming that I get a decent MCAT score? (I don't want to move across the country and abandon a good-paying government job to chase a dream with a low probability of success)

- If I applied for the school in the spring of 2015, am I correct that the next start date would be fall of 2016? Will I have to wait more than a year between application and the actual start of active duty?

- am I also correct that as prior service, when I began school (assuming that I get in) I will be paid the 0-1E over 10 rate?

-anybody here actually make the NG to USUHS jump?

Thank you for all of the information that has been put out here for all these years!

Hello wise sages of the USUHS board,

I have a few questions, and I hope that you can guide my planning. I have read most of this thread (54 pages!) but I have some questions that I didn't see asked before recently.

Background:
BA intelligence Studies (I used to be a human intelligence guy) 4.0 GPA
MS Biology (complete spring 2014) 4.0 GPA so far
I have been active duty in the national guard (AGR) for about 10 years
I am currently a combat medic and work in a laboratory
EMT, PALS, ACLS, ABLS, BLS
I am 28, have three kids, SSG 68W

Story: I am very interested in attending USUHS, but do not have all of the prerequisites complete, and I will not be able to complete them in my current active status. I am planning on moving in with my in-laws to reduce costs while I go to school for a year to finish my prereqs.

Questions:
- Is my background likely to be attractive to the admissions board, assuming that I get a decent MCAT score? (I don't want to move across the country and abandon a good-paying government job to chase a dream with a low probability of success)

If you keep getting 4.0 and 30 or above on the MCAT then the interview will be yours to screw up as you would be an "ideal" candidate that USUHS likes. But with good interview skills and good MCAT you'll likely not have trouble getting into several schools

- If I applied for the school in the spring of 2015, am I correct that the next start date would be fall of 2016? Will I have to wait more than a year between application and the actual start of active duty?

Correct. No you wouldn't have to wait assuming you were accepted. USUHS does rolling interviews and admission so make sure you have all of your application stuff done and submitted on the first day that AMCAS lets you hit submit - all LORs already in, all transcripts already in.

One important point: you can apply with prereqs still in progress so I would consider applying next spring if your work/living arrangements/family status lets you do it. You would need to take the MCAT this fall though.

- am I also correct that as prior service, when I began school (assuming that I get in) I will be paid the 0-1E over 10 rate?

Correct. Not a bad way to go through med school if you are cool with the military.

-anybody here actually make the NG to USUHS jump?

There is a prior Army officer who was AGR in my class (2016).

Thank you for all of the information that has been put out here for all these years!

Everything ready to go at the opening day to submit and I think you would get one of the first interviews. Early interview is key to increased chance of acceptance at USUHS.

Thank you so much for replying so quickly!

I think that I am a bit hazy on what one of your answers means.

Correct. No you wouldn't have to wait assuming you were accepted. USUHS does rolling interviews and admission so make sure you have all of your application stuff done and submitted on the first day that AMCAS lets you hit submit - all LORs already in, all transcripts already in.

Once a soldier gets accepted to USUHS, do they come on active duty to wait for the start date, or do they have to wait until the start to begin drawing pay?

Assuming that I hit submit in early 2015 and got accepted in the fall (That seems like the timeline that some people have seen, does that seem right?) I would have to wait almost a year to enter active duty and begin drawing pay?

Thanks

Thank you so much for replying so quickly!

I think that I am a bit hazy on what one of your answers means.

Once a soldier gets accepted to USUHS, do they come on active duty to wait for the start date, or do they have to wait until the start to begin drawing pay?

Assuming that I hit submit in early 2015 and got accepted in the fall (That seems like the timeline that some people have seen, does that seem right?) I would have to wait almost a year to enter active duty and begin drawing pay?

Thanks

You won't get your orders to active duty until late spring/early summer before matriculation. Based on the timeline you are talking about it would be in 2016 so yes, it would be about a year. That's why I ask if you could take the MCAT this fall. I took the MCAT before completing prereqs and applied with a couple of classes in progress.