Usuhs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would like to take the MCAT as soon as possible, but I haven't taken a physics class is quite a while. When looking at practice questions, I was sort of lost on the physical sciences section, and I would rather wait and take the test with confidence. When was the earliest you could submit your application when you applied? I see on the website that the application deadline is November, when does the system begin allowing applications for the next school year?

Members don't see this ad.

USUHS uses the AMCAS central application like most other med schools. I'm not sure when you can start working the application, but it is early in the calendar year. Somewhere around June 1 is when you can officially "submit" your application. So by the time June 1 hits you will want to have everything done already - all transcripts, letters of rec, etc submitted and there. If you hit "submit" but your app is missing some stuff then it doesn't get processed until everything is present.

Once your app is processed by AMCAS and sent to your schools you will start to receive the secondary applications from the individual schools. Since USUHS is rolling, this is why you want your AMCAS ready to go on that first day so you can get an early secondary app from them and get an early interview.

Does anyone know if USUHS students and/or AD medical corps folks can get Language Proficiency Pay?

I scored pretty well on the DLPT in a critical language back in the day and got paid pretty well for it. Would be nice if that would be an option in the future as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all - looking for a bit of advice here.

Background:

Currently an active duty Submariner stationed at NROTC UMaine
Married/5 kids
Undergrad - Mech E/EE double major
cGPA = 3.47
sGPA = 3.85
MCAT = 31 (VR - 12/PS - 9/BS - 10)
ECs = physician shadowing/volunteering with University Ambulance Corps (working on EMT)/some volunteer lab work (no pubs)/volunteering with Sea Cadets

I am a reapplicant to USUHS from last year (applied VERY late) and I have everything in early this year - just waiting on AMCAS.

My question is with middle of the road GPA/MCAT scores, should I spend the next month studying my butt off and retake the MCAT, or spend the time working on my secondary, doing more shadowing and preparing for interview hoping that one is extended?

Thanks much in advance!

Hello all - looking for a bit of advice here.

Background:

Currently an active duty Submariner stationed at NROTC UMaine
Married/5 kids
Undergrad - Mech E/EE double major
cGPA = 3.47
sGPA = 3.85
ECs = physician shadowing/volunteering with University Ambulance Corps (working on EMT)/some volunteer lab work (no pubs)/volunteering with Sea Cadets

I am a reapplicant to USUHS from last year (applied VERY late) and I have everything in early this year - just waiting on AMCAS.

My question is with middle of the road GPA/MCAT scores, should I spend the next month studying my butt off and retake the MCAT, or spend the time working on my secondary, doing more shadowing and preparing for interview hoping that one is extended?

Thanks much in advance!

Unless you think you underperformed on the MCAT for your knowledge, I would just continue to work on the other portions. You are already a 80th percentile mcat with solid grades and a career sailor/soldier (forgive my ignorance of military slang) so they should like you. The deal is an mcat retake can go both directions and you need to be positive it will go up to retake a good score

Yep, just USUHS.
I would be open to other schools, but HPSP just doesn't work for me.

Thanks for the speedy replies!

Applying just to one school is a bad idea. Your goal is to be a physician. USUHS is not that much better of a financial deal even for a career guy because of the delays in MISP compared to HPSP.

That said, don't mess with your mcat. It's fine. Just apply early and consider expanding your applications. I expect you'll get into usuhs.

your MCAT and background should set you up well to the interview stage. Have a good interview and you should get in. Good luck.

cGPA = 3.47

I was accepted with a 31 MCAT distributed almost exactly like yours. Don't worry about that part. Also, my cGPA was only a 3.53, so not that much higher than yours. I think with an early submission, you'll be good to go.

Applying just to one school is a bad idea. Your goal is to be a physician. USUHS is not that much better of a financial deal even for a career guy because of the delays in MISP compared to HPSP.

I have a feeling he is more worried about the 5 kids and wife part during med school than the end financial considerations of HPSP/USUHS/fap.

Big difference in monthly take home pay during school, especially now that you get to keep your same pay as when you enter for those 4 years.

Very true about the wife and kids - although the goal is to transfer to the med corps, first priority is providing for the family.

In any case, I decided to skip the MCAT retake and just let it ride!!!!!!

Thank you all for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've read through all 51 pages and still have some questions about the application/interview process. I'm planning on applying next year and want to go air force, though I would definitely be open to other service branches.

Is your desired branch listed on your application?
If one's desired service branch slots were already full, do they offer you another branch that may not be?

I've ready in this thread that a person was interviewed by two military officers. Are those officers professors, admissions/admin officers, former students, etc? Are they of the requested service branch of the interviewee?

I've read through all 51 pages and still have some questions about the application/interview process. I'm planning on applying next year and want to go air force, though I would definitely be open to other service branches.

Is your desired branch listed on your application?

No, you'll fill out a service preference sheet during the interview.

If one's desired service branch slots were already full, do they offer you another branch that may not be?

Maybe. If they want you bad enough they may offer another service from what I have seen. You can negate this issue for the most part by ensuring your application is ready to go immediately when AMCAS lets you submit. This will get you and earlier interview and less likely that your preferred service is full.

I've ready in this thread that a person was interviewed by two military officers. Are those officers professors, admissions/admin officers, former students, etc? Are they of the requested service branch of the interviewee?

Interviews seem to mostly be conducted by military faculty who are physicians. Since they don't get your service preference sheet until that morning I don't think they prioritize your preference with one of the interviewing officers. Some students also conduct interviews.

So I'm a high school junior and I'm looking to do NROTC at the University of Notre Dame and than my med school at usuhs. To apply for the NROTC scholarship I have to choose between the Marines, Navy, or the Nurse Corps. Would the Nurse Corps be the best option to prepare me for med school at usuhs and would it look best on an application or does it not matter which option I choose for NROTC?

If you select nurse corps you will be a nurse if selected (it's actually quite competitive). If you choose Marine option you will be a Marine. If you want the small chance to go to med school out of ROTC you will need to select Navy

So I'm a high school junior and I'm looking to do NROTC at the University of Notre Dame and than my med school at usuhs. To apply for the NROTC scholarship I have to choose between the Marines, Navy, or the Nurse Corps. Would the Nurse Corps be the best option to prepare me for med school at usuhs and would it look best on an application or does it not matter which option I choose for NROTC?

Just a few things to think about before you enroll in NROTC pre-health.

1) Premedicine is a numbers game, schools want high GPAs and high MCATs and don't care at all if the odds are stacked against you in some way that lowers your GPA. The rigid graduation requirements of ROTC (get out in 4 years, spend your summers with us, do a bunch of military stuff during the school year) will hurt your GPA.

2) The average Med school matriculant these days spends two years improving their application between college and medical school, and many apply multiple times. If you go with the ROTC you need to get into medical school your senior semester or they take you as a line officer and you don't get another chance until you finish your commitment. I would personally not have been a physician if I only had one chance to apply.

3) If you do get in to med school you need to ask the Navy's permission to go. If they need line officers more than medical officers that year you won't get that permission. You need to accept that if you join ROTC you may need to serve out your obligation as a line officer (supply officer, surface warfare, etc) even if you get accepted to Medical school.

4) If you do get in and AND get to go you now have an insane obligation to the Navy since your USUHS medical school scholarship obligation will stack with your ROTC obligation. You will be serving 11 years after a residency, meaning the earliest you get out of the military is 2037. I personally don't think anyone should tie themselves to any organization for that long at the age of 18.

Last edited:

Do what you're interested in. Don't do anything simply for the sake of getting into medical school. Quite honestly, any of these routes can one day land you in medical school . . . or not . . .it depends on your undergrad GPA/MCATs etc. If you don't wanna be a nurse, don't join the nurse corps, you'll hate it.

In the grand scheme of things, ROTC is a lot of work while you're a full time student, in exchange for tuition (but not housing!), at the further cost of a 5 year commitment that won't get you any closer to medical school. It's a great way for people who want to serve as line officers to get in, but as Perrotfish laid out in detail, if you want to be a doctor, ROTC will not help and will probably hurt you.

ROTC/USUHS is a 12 year commitment right off the top, plus 4 years at USUHS, plus 3-6 years for internship and residency. Setting yourself on the path to a 20+ year contract in the military when you're still in high school is a bold move. Your desires and goals may change a lot during college.

I am applying to medical schools next june, and USUHS is one of my choices.

I have a 3.6/3.3 c/sGPA and a 35 MCAT.

I have no military background, but I do have strong ECs all around.

Do I have a reasonable shot at USUHS?

I am applying to medical schools next june, and USUHS is one of my choices.

I have a 3.6/3.3 c/sGPA and a 35 MCAT.

I have no military background, but I do have strong ECs all around.

Do I have a reasonable shot at USUHS?

Yes. I would venture that those number would make you viable for virtually all schools. Write a good personal statement and secondaries and you'll likely have a fair amount of interviews. Just remember these few bits of info:

1. Don't go to USUHS unless you actually want to be in the military (or it is the only school you get into). Don't join the military solely for the perceived financial reasons.
2. If you don't want to be in the military then go to the cheapest school you get accepted at. Sure, there are differences between schools, but it isn't like law school with tiers and ability to get jobs. They all teach the same thing and it is mostly about what you put into it so why pay more for the same thing?

Yes. I would venture that those number would make you viable for virtually all schools. Write a good personal statement and secondaries and you'll likely have a fair amount of interviews. Just remember these few bits of info:

1. Don't go to USUHS unless you actually want to be in the military (or it is the only school you get into). Don't join the military solely for the perceived financial reasons.
2. If you don't want to be in the military then go to the cheapest school you get accepted at. Sure, there are differences between schools, but it isn't like law school with tiers and ability to get jobs. They all teach the same thing and it is mostly about what you put into it so why pay more for the same thing?

thanks a lot for your advice.

i am definitely aware of the obligation associated with attending usuhs, and i am still doing my own research about this possible path. i've always wanted to be a military officer and a physician, so going this route is a possibility.

at this point, i think the biggest draw of usuhs is how (at least what i hear) supportive and happy its students are. i heard that there's very little arrogance among the students, and everyone looks out for each other. i went to a very competitive liberal arts college, and quite frankly, i am a bit disgusted by the elitism exhibited by a lot of my peers. so if i can find a healthier environment for med school, then that would be a huge plus.

thanks again!

^^definitely one of the best parts about usuhs. I've had the experience at "Gunner Univ." as well and usuhs definitely has a different mentality. Happy and supportive - all on the same team.

at this point, i think the biggest draw of usuhs is how (at least what i hear) supportive and happy its students are. i heard that there's very little arrogance among the students, and everyone looks out for each other. i went to a very competitive liberal arts college, and quite frankly, i am a bit disgusted by the elitism exhibited by a lot of my peers. so if i can find a healthier environment for med school, then that would be a huge plus.
The atmosphere at USUHS was great. That's not to say there's no competition, there is, but there's no backstabbing. Wonderful school.

You compete against the material at USU, not each other. Which is pretty nice; since there's a lot of team-building with the field exercises and service training, you get to know your classmates in a bit more depth, that and you get military support systems for families and what not; so you get a very close environment. Which translates to things like weekend review sessions put on by students in the big lecture halls; study guides posted to facebook groups, etc.

Other reasons that might be of note: clinical experience and correlation comes much earlier than other schools, which is both daunting, but extremely rewarding (we're talking Day 2 of med school - seeing actual inpatients at Walter Reed for interviews); early and dedicated imaging and varied medical opportunities: USU is a huge leader in ultrasound and other potential therapies such as auricular acupuncture (otherwise known as combat acupuncture - which is great for Chinese-US relations and is used in an effort to reduce military drug dependence for certain pain types); students start with learning ultrasound basics in the second month... Plus, summer experiences are very unique; along with pretty good swaths of the general curriculum. You have a very high density of surgeons and available cadavers for gross anatomy. You have what I would say is the top-of-the-line research opportunities - both at Walter Reed and at the NIH, plus in-house research at the university. (I like my school...)

Anywho, you've got a pretty good shot; especially on the MCAT front; if you have any military family or very close friends, it would be beneficial to mention it in your secondary, otherwise, speak to why USU and show that you have some understanding of the commitment/rigors of the military. Get your app in early in the cycle (hopefully not the current one... but if so, there's still a shot, though you may be playing waitlist games at this point, depending on when you interview and what service branch). And don't be crazy in your interview ;)

Good luck!

You compete against the material at USU, not each other. Which is pretty nice; since there's a lot of team-building with the field exercises and service training, you get to know your classmates in a bit more depth, that and you get military support systems for families and what not; so you get a very close environment. Which translates to things like weekend review sessions put on by students in the big lecture halls; study guides posted to facebook groups, etc.

Other reasons that might be of note: clinical experience and correlation comes much earlier than other schools, which is both daunting, but extremely rewarding (we're talking Day 2 of med school - seeing actual inpatients at Walter Reed for interviews); early and dedicated imaging and varied medical opportunities: USU is a huge leader in ultrasound and other potential therapies such as auricular acupuncture (otherwise known as combat acupuncture - which is great for Chinese-US relations and is used in an effort to reduce military drug dependence for certain pain types); students start with learning ultrasound basics in the second month... Plus, summer experiences are very unique; along with pretty good swaths of the general curriculum. You have a very high density of surgeons and available cadavers for gross anatomy. You have what I would say is the top-of-the-line research opportunities - both at Walter Reed and at the NIH, plus in-house research at the university. (I like my school...)

Anywho, you've got a pretty good shot; especially on the MCAT front; if you have any military family or very close friends, it would be beneficial to mention it in your secondary, otherwise, speak to why USU and show that you have some understanding of the commitment/rigors of the military. Get your app in early in the cycle (hopefully not the current one... but if so, there's still a shot, though you may be playing waitlist games at this point, depending on when you interview and what service branch). And don't be crazy in your interview ;)

Good luck!

thanks for the helpful response! it does sound like an excellent school. i don't have any military connections,but i am currently doing community service that directly benefits veterans.

also, i am a chinese american (just got naturalized), and i am wondering if that will be a negative to the military?

thanks for the helpful response! it does sound like an excellent school. i don't have any military connections,but i am currently doing community service that directly benefits veterans.

also, i am a chinese american (just got naturalized), and i am wondering if that will be a negative to the military?
A negative? No. If anything, it would be a positive. In that you have a whole set of experiences that you add to the team. The only time that would really cause any issues is just paperwork to fill out during security clearance stuff (since you have to list foreign contacts, family, places of residence, etc), but that doesn't really affect your admissions decision. As long as you're eligible for a US security clearance (essentially pass a background check), you should be fine! There are more than a few different nationalities that have come to the school and are a part of the student body. And the school itself is big on international cooperation and ties with foreign military and medical opportunities and exchanges.

And I'd say try and take some time to point out your experiences with that service opportunity and showcase how it has affected your decision, and in general, be able to show that you're aware of what is to come, and why you want to embark on it!

Thanks for the response, I'm a little late in getting to it. I understand the extremely long commitment, the "needs of the Navy come first" (but if I could by a physician[or such] in the military, I would plan on making it a career), and the numbers part of it, I really (at least I think I) do get it. But that incentive of paying my undergrad tuition is really attractive. Notre Dame tuition is $60,000 (or just about), my brother pays about $63,000 at Harvard and I'm assuming the rest of the high quality universities in the U.S. are right around that same price.

I know that the service academies are like ROTC and put in a lot of work besides the academics (From what I've heard, your summer vacation is two month at the most), but surely USUHS gives special consideration to the military seeing as that is their very nature(?).
Another thing I've heard is that med schools usually like students who major in things other then "Pre-Med", the blokes who take the poly sci and the theatre courses, but at the service academies they say not to worry about that because their core curriculum is already so broad and extensive, so go ahead and major in "Life Chemistry" because it won't make a difference. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Do the poly sci and theatre majors help themselves out by taking "softer" classes and boosting their GPA's?

Once again, I really appreciate your responses, thank you!
So just to throw my hat in here, do what you would like! We have some Norte Dame NROTC grads at USU right now. It is in fact possible. Something to consider though, you have to be very proactive, some years Big Navy is a jerk and does stuff likes say all med student spots for midshipmen will come from the academy, and then you have to fight to get allowed to go in. Even in those years, ROTC grads make it to med school, but it requires you to be talking with a dedicated officer at your ROTC detachment.

Notre dame is not a cheap school, an ROTC scholarship will help, don't assume you'll get one though. Not everyone who does ROTC gets a scholarship, in fact, only about half do, if memory serves. Do it because you like the lifestyle and the possibilities. You have a couple years in undergrad without the scholarship before it becomes absolutely official that you have a commitment, use that time to decide if you like the culture, through summer experiences and the officers and enlisted you work with. I love the crap out of every navy experience I've had, but not everyone does, and your mileage may vary.

Also of note, if you are sure the navy is where you want it be and medicine is preferable and your ultimate goal, there are people who apply well into their careers from every branch, there are people with 14 years of service who are now at USU. It's up to you, and eventually you can get there, sometimes there are detours though, and it's something you should keep in mind as a possibility. Just think of it in the terms of building your application and adding experiences to your life, which are beneficial on a lot of applications. USUHS average matriculant age is 27 after all...

On the majoring in other things bit, just keep in mind who you are. Premed/biology can give you a lot of the core pre-clerkship curriculum of med school in a more digestible format (4 years versus 18 months makes a big difference, especially when you throw in new clinically related material), so if you feel like you need time to get that info down, bio major can be a big boon to you personally. That said, I've seen everything from poli sci to Spanish literature to lawyers in med school, and they get through it, so it's still possible! But I would say the GPA boost can be helpful, but you have to learn the material at some point, and a lot of people who are studying hormone pathways for the first time in med school traded an easy GPA in undergrad for a heck of a time in med school, and I'm not sure that trade off is worth it, you need to get that info at some point, and if you do all that learning in med school, you may end up hurting residency chances, or other aspects of your curriculum, especially if you have to remediate a block. That said, ROTC courses usually carry a grade and add 5-6 units onto your curriculum each year, that can do a lot to boost your gpa, you have to be dedicated though in your science curriculum no matter what though.

My recommendation is this, if you know you want to do med school right now, make sure you take every opportunity to make sure it's what you want, AMSA, hospital volunteering, doctor shadowing, etc. Not only does this help you solidify your desire, but it looks great on applications. I'd also say, take time and explore other things, so you can say you've tried other things and you decided med was still right for you. And with your major, do something that you like, if you like it, it will make it infinitely easier, and more fun, and you can take those lessons to medicine, goodness knows we need a few more cultural anthropologists on occasion! If you like biology and learning about human systems, by all means, do that, be passionate about it, branch out and take a minor, or almost a minor ;) learn to learn new things! I'm dead serious. These things help show your interests, your depth as a student and person, and if you do what you like, your GPA should follow.

USUHS does give a lot of weight to any military experience, ROTC is right up there. USUHS is a long commitment no matter what, I think it relatively healthy to carry a little doubt with you anyway, it helps make sure you're grounded and know the weight of decisions you're embarking on. And there's a lot of good in being a military doc. With USUHS, show leadership, have reasonable MCATs and grades, and you'll do good; then get applications in EARLY in the cycle.

Good luck with your journey!

Thank you! Do you know the names of those ND grads? I had one brother in the ND class of '08 another in '11 and another who attended in '11 but dropped out, maybe one of them might know one of your grads
They might, but probably not the best medium to trade names. The one I know of is a '13 grad and I think there might be one or two others in higher classes, but I don't know them personally. Something I would recommend is, on campus with the detachment, talk to the commanders there and ask for any emails of middies who have gone to med school, it'll give you a wider breadth and it will get you started in boosting and showing your interest to your commanders!

So i have a question about background checks. i dont have any formal work experience, though i do have plenty of self-employment experiences in which i was paid cash, hence no need to report incomes, etc. i will be applying to usuhs soon, and i am wondering how i should report these experiences on the security clearance. does the background check also examines tax returns?

I have a question regarding how much weight is given to prior-military experience. I'm currently looking at getting out of the Army after 9 years. I graduated from a service academy with pretty poor grades (~2.9 if I remember correctly), with my science and math courses being higher than the cumulative average. By the time I knock out the pre-reqs, that will of course have gone up, but only a bit.

So, assuming I am able to get an MCAT score at or above the average for USUHS, how much can I realistically expect my prior-service to offset my crappy gpa? Would academic-type military training (language school) help demonstrate academic maturity?

Any insight is appreciated.

USUHS has been getting an increasingly competitive applicant pool over the last few years and priors are not being let in with the same aplomb as in the past (friend/former flight doc that was a prior NFO got in with around a 3.0 and 24 MCAT back in 2006-ish). If you get straight As to boost your GPA and score above average on the MCAT (>31 and not all verbal) I think you can get an interview. People often underestimate the importance of having your app ready to rock on day one of AMCAS release. USUHS is rolling admissions so a weaker app that shows up on day one is going to fare far better than a weaker app that shows up in December.

I have a question regarding how much weight is given to prior-military experience. I'm currently looking at getting out of the Army after 9 years. I graduated from a service academy with pretty poor grades (~2.9 if I remember correctly), with my science and math courses being higher than the cumulative average. By the time I knock out the pre-reqs, that will of course have gone up, but only a bit.

So, assuming I am able to get an MCAT score at or above the average for USUHS, how much can I realistically expect my prior-service to offset my crappy gpa? Would academic-type military training (language school) help demonstrate academic maturity?

I was prior service before getting out to go to med school. I eventually attended USUHS. Here's my $0.02:

If you're interested in an allopathic school, a 2.9 GPA just won't make it through most of the initial application screens. Sure, they'll take your money and let you submit a secondary application, but it's wasted money if you don't get an interview.

If you're seriously interested in switching careers and becoming a physician, you need to think more long-term and not try to shortcut an admission anywhere based on military service. Do it right and look into a post-bacc (if you don't have the pre-reqs) or special masters program (SMP; if you do have the pre-reqs) to update your academic transcript and stats before applying; language school will not convince AdComs you can handle the rigors of a medical school curriculum. Also, take the necessary time to study to rock the MCAT.

If you crush a post-bacc/SMP academically, score well on the MCAT, and complete your application as early in the cycle as possible, you'll be in the strongest position to receive interview invites; it's during the interview that your prior service will be most likely to help you secure an admission.

Finally, it's tempting for you to gravitate to the military for your medical education (USUHS, HPSP, etc.) because it's familiar and economically alluring, but spend at least 10 hours going through the threads in this forum to get a better idea of what milmed really is (it's NOT the same as the line). DO NOT limit yourself to just USUHS or HPSP.

No, it isn't the same as the line, but by the time he does residency and pays back the commitment he is eligible for retirement, especially if he does USUHS. So if he is willing to accept the drawbacks of military medicine then it is not a bad option for someone with 9 years of service already. Especially considered how he would be compensated as a USUHS student.

Realistically, prior service helps, but it won't offset a crappy GPA. 2.9 isn't the worst, but there are a lot of other factors that go into the decision. The MCAT weighs heavier than GPA, because it's an equalizer between schools. Prior service helps for USU, but not other schools. And there are a lot of other factors that carry significant weight that can outweigh GPA. (Research, leadership, significant medical experience, etc).

So if you swing for it right off the bat, if you've got the rest of the application lined up and ready to go, you might be able to work it (stress the might, it requires a pretty good application). If you've got the time and resources, I'd take the advice seen earlier, shoot for a masters program or a post-bac (masters are fairly common in non-traditional students lately, as it shows you can handle graduate education, and is a significant commitment that carries weight). Use that time to build hospital/medical experience if you don't already have it, and explore other areas you can build your application, get LoR's set, and take the time to get good on the MCAT.

Best of luck!

No, it isn't the same as the line, but by the time he does residency and pays back the commitment he is eligible for retirement, especially if he does USUHS. So if he is willing to accept the drawbacks of military medicine then it is not a bad option for someone with 9 years of service already. Especially considered how he would be compensated as a USUHS student.

I didn't say it was a bad option, and I'm VERY well aware of the pros & cons of USUHS, thank you.

I merely tried to point out it in a constructive and reasonably even-toned manner that it would be very shortsighted for someone with substandard credentials to half-ass their pre-med preparation and inappropriately limit the number/types of medical schools applied to. Also, considering the OP appears to have little recent experience outside the Army and possibly medicine in general, I advised the OP not to limit him/herself to military sponsored medical education without at least an adequate understanding of the difference between a Medical Corps career and what he/she has experienced for the past 13 years.

Thanks all, for the input. I don't think that I'm under any illusions about my chances, but I am trying to seek out any strength that I have to give me a boost.

I've spent enough time in the army that I'm institutionalized, and have no problem with jumping through the hoops that military medicine will present (again, no illusions.) However, I absolutely haven't written off a purely civilian track.

USUHS appeals to me because I have a family, and the financial benefits cannot be overstated, as well as other reasons.

If a post-bacc program is required, then so be it.

Cheers.

I would also consider staying in the selective reserves. If you are drilling then you still get constructive credit for the time you are in the reserves. So if it takes a few years to get through pre-recs/post bac and application to acceptance you will have probably progressed in the reserves to O-4 > 10 or 12. That would be a big plus if you ended up getting accepted at USUHS.

Thanks all, for the input. I don't think that I'm under any illusions about my chances, but I am trying to seek out any strength that I have to give me a boost.

I've spent enough time in the army that I'm institutionalized, and have no problem with jumping through the hoops that military medicine will present (again, no illusions.) However, I absolutely haven't written off a purely civilian track.

USUHS appeals to me because I have a family, and the financial benefits cannot be overstated, as well as other reasons.

If a post-bacc program is required, then so be it.

Cheers.

Best of luck then!

My background is very similar to yours. My goals and desires for my practice of medicine changed and crystalized during residency, and luckily the Army (more accurately: my immediate leadership) has been able to accommodate them. Hopefully they'll continue to do so until I can retire.

A few tips based on my experience:
-- Go all-in on your pre-med preparation. At your age and place in life a second chance will be very difficult to pull off. Also, don't be seduced by online options to meet your pre-reqs; go with brick and mortar classes from a school with a decent reputation.
-- If you haven't already, start shadowing at the local MTF. Let them know you're interested in USU. Keep up your clinical exposure after ETSing. You've already got an otherwise healthy resume; clinical exposure is the most critical extracurricular activity for you to develop at this point. It can also lead to good letters of recommendation.
-- Concur with Cooperd0g about considering reserves. I stayed IRR and that time counts towards pay purposes, pushing me further to the right on the pay chart.
-- If you haven't already, organize, scan in, and back up ALL your service documentation. It's amazing what stupid detail/document will be needed 20+ years later.
-- Use the time now with a paycheck coming in to financially prepare: downsize expenses/lifestyle as much as possible with family, sock away some savings, update your vehicles/other necessary big purchases, get smart about GI bill, etc.
-- Unless you need the money, take the maximum amount of terminal leave when you ETS and don't sell it back. If you relocate to go back to school, do so while on terminal leave; it's easier to qualify for a new apt or home loan, utilities while you're still legitimately drawing a paycheck.
-- Always be mindful of your family during this process. My relationship with my then-fiancée did not survive my pre-med, and I am still amazed by the number of divorces in my med school class.
-- Later on, really make the best of your time in residency. You will finish residency with a significant amount of constructive credit, you will carry higher rank, and you will be pushed towards more admin responsibilities earlier than your peers, depriving you of valuable time as junior staff to hone your skills in truly independent practice.

Again, best of luck!

LLB226,

Seriously look into doing some post bacc work. I interviewed earlier this year, and they are very gracious about post bacc work. They will take your post bacc GPA in lieu of you undergrad GPA -- I don't know if any other school has this sort of undergrad GPA forgiveness. If you do it, make sure you make up for your undergrad GPA. As for military service (I'm a prior 18D myself) it seems to me that once you get to the interview that being prior service definitely gives you an advantage. Without good stats/ECs/statements I don't think you'll get an interview.

I actually just came here to see if there had been any waitlist movement.. I know 3/15 is the cutoff for non-medically qualified acceptances to be potentially dropped. I interviewed on Jan 30th, and it seems like waitlist is the name of the game this time of year. USUHS does have great waitlist movement though. Last year they moved through the entire Army waitlist.

Nate, What did they think about you being an 18D? Do you expect it to present you with any other opportunities that you wouldn't otherwise have had (with respect to usuhs?)

Denali/Cooper - I have a lot of choices in front of me and and truly appreciate the advice. Thanks.

Nate, What did they think about you being an 18D? Do you expect it to present you with any other opportunities that you wouldn't otherwise have had (with respect to usuhs?)

I think they generally asked the same questions they would of any other candidate, but we did talk about my military experiences quite a bit during the interview. I think it definitely helped me stand out, but I really think most military service, no matter what you did, can be chalked up to some meaningful experiences that would give you an advantage in the interview. My application was really heavy with my military background.

As far as other opportunities, I'm not totally sure. You can do a military school after your first year, but I'm not sure if it would help me get into any 'cool guy' schools or not (already have airborne and ranger, not sure what slots they get). I think there's a good chance I'll be in the same boat as everyone else. The O1E pay looks nice, and I just found out that O1E gets a higher BAH. Later on down the line, if I'm still motivated and in shape, I might try to go to USASOC, but we'll see. I'm not sure what the timeline is for selection as far as that's concerned, but one of my interviewers seemed to think you can start down that road during your residency. I think that opportunity is open to everyone, but I might have an advantage there (or not because I'll be getting a little older by then :( .

Can you elaborate on their post bacc policy?

They will take your post bacc GPA and ignore your undergrad. I believe you may have to complete some sort of post-bacc program, but I'm not sure; you may just need to do a certain amount of time, you can call admissions and they can help you (they're pretty friendly and helpful). Once your application has been reviewed by AMCAS and submitted to them, they will only look at your post bacc GPA.

They will take your post bacc GPA and ignore your undergrad. I believe you may have to complete some sort of post-bacc program, but I'm not sure; you may just need to do a certain amount of time, you can call admissions and they can help you (they're pretty friendly and helpful). Once your application has been reviewed by AMCAS and submitted to them, they will only look at your post bacc GPA.
That's very weird. USUHS is an allopathic med school but they use the osteopathic grade forgiveness policy? Strange...

USUHS has a ton of medical research going on ... just not a whole lot with medical students. As far as med students go USUHS is in the business of creating physicians that will focus on taking care of members of the military, retirees and their dependents. Guys are digging into research projects all the time, but they have to actively seek it out and work their way into it. If you really want to focus on the physician scientist stuff then I would not go to USUHS.

You go to USUHS because you actually want to be in the military!

USUHS has a ton of medical research going on ... just not a whole lot with medical students. As far as med students go USUHS is in the business of creating physicians that will focus on taking care of members of the military, retirees and their dependents. Guys are digging into research projects all the time, but they have to actively seek it out and work their way into it. If you really want to focus on the physician scientist stuff then I would not go to USUHS.

You go to USUHS because you actually want to be in the military!

Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it!

I have been quite interested in the military for a while now, however, my recommendations reflect my physician-scientist aspirations as well. Do you think this would be detrimental to me in my application to USUHS?

Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it!

I have been quite interested in the military for a while now, however, my recommendations reflect my physician-scientist aspirations as well. Do you think this would be detrimental to me in my application to USUHS?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: USU is focused on accepting students that want to become military physicians. They want to see that you know what being a military physician entails when they review your app. That's on you, not your letter writers. I'm sure that your letter writers could help by emphasizing your leadership qualities, but talking about your interest in research isn't going to hurt you.

What you need to ask yourself is do YOU really want to be a military physician if it means that you wont be doing much research once you graduate. Understand that USU is a 7 year commitment after residency, and most people end up staying the full 20 once that commitment is up because they're so close to getting that pension. When all is said and done, they're in their late 40's when they get out. That's pretty late to start doing serious research.

Tldr if you want research to be a significant part of your career, the military probably isn't for you.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: USU is focused on accepting students that want to become military physicians. They want to see that you know what being a military physician entails when they review your app. That's on you, not your letter writers. I'm sure that your letter writers could help by emphasizing your leadership qualities, but talking about your interest in research isn't going to hurt you.

What you need to ask yourself is do YOU really want to be a military physician if it means that you wont be doing much research once you graduate. Understand that USU is a 7 year commitment after residency, and most people end up staying the full 20 once that commitment is up because they're so close to getting that pension. When all is said and done, they're in their late 40's when they get out. That's pretty late to start doing serious research.

Tldr if you want research to be a significant part of your career, the military probably isn't for you.

Thank you for your reply! I definitely understand the commitment of USUHS and becoming a military physician has always been something I've thought about. Do you guys have any suggestions or ideas on how I could speak to someone from the school to discuss or research this further? I'm located in Maryland currently, but am not sure how open they are to prospective student visits!

Additionally, do you think a 29 MCAT will hinder me in my application?

Thank you for your reply! I definitely understand the commitment of USUHS and becoming a military physician has always been something I've thought about. Do you guys have any suggestions or ideas on how I could speak to someone from the school to discuss or research this further? I'm located in Maryland currently, but am not sure how open they are to prospective student visits!

Additionally, do you think a 29 MCAT will hinder me in my application?

Unfortunately the school is on base, so you would definitely have to let them know before showing up. I would just contact admissions to see if/when you can visit.

I believe their average mcat is 30ish, so 29 isn't too far off the mark. Again, their main goal is to admit students that want to be military physicians. If you can show them that, then i think you would be fine with a 29. However, a better score will always work in your favor.