USyd Interview in Vancouver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KorCdn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where are u guys staying in vancouver?(for those ppl not from vancouver)
I found this place at Jericho Beach... seems pretty close to UBC campus and its only ~$34/night.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm staying in a hotel near the airport. ~$110 per night

wait...there's a beach in Vancouver? Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my god. I've never been to a beach in years and years :laugh: I'm so excited. Time to bring a bikini.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im from vancity.
Vancouver is rite at the pacific ocean and its a beautiful city except these days we're having a lot of construction coz of the 2010 winter olympics.

Jus wondering how everyone is prep'ing for the interview and also when do u guys have it??

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna stay at the Jericho Beach place too... and I'll bet the weather will be nice too. I'm interviewing on Wednesday afternoon... when is everybody else?

I don't know about you guys, but I don't know anybody in Vancouver... maybe we should get together and see if we can get to know some of the other future American/Candatian USyd med students.

nvm about Jericho Beach... it seems like a filthy place to stay according to some reviews(i.e. bed bugs):scared:...

i have mine on wed afternoon too

you could try holiday inn downtown vancouver... stayed there the last time. when you get to vancouver, there's an airport shuttle that takes you to the hotels downtown. way cheaper than taxi. to get from downtown to UBC just check the transit system maps... or take a taxi, it's worth not ruining your attire

my interview's on 21, at 1500. we should try to meet up or something

nvm about Jericho Beach... it seems like a filthy place to stay according to some reviews(i.e. bed bugs):scared:...

i have mine on wed afternoon too

Where would you be staying for only $34 a night? Its probably a hostel rather an real hotel; even the cheap chain places in No America charge much more than that now.

I'd think the last thing you'd want when getting ready for an interview is to be worrying about your safety, cleanliness, sharing a bathroom, etc.

How many are interviewing for USyd Dental??

Where would you be staying for only $34 a night? Its probably a hostel rather an real hotel; even the cheap chain places in No America charge much more than that now.

I'd think the last thing you'd want when getting ready for an interview is to be worrying about your safety, cleanliness, sharing a bathroom, etc.

Yeah, it's a hostel. Personally, I'm not worried about safety/cleanliness/bathroom/etc... I spent half my undergrad living in a place that was probably just as bad.

Yeah, it's a hostel. Personally, I'm not worried about safety/cleanliness/bathroom/etc... I spent half my undergrad living in a place that was probably just as bad.

As long as you know what you're getting into (and being male, you *probably* have lower standards for cleanliness than most females. ;) )

the university of BC rents out dorms on campus for 30 CAD during the summer. The dorms are in walking distance from the interview location and by far the best option imho.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a bus that basically takes you directly from Holiday Inn DT to UBC campus, the number 17 UBC. Good luck guys, you'll be interviewing at the building I spent half of my undergrad in.

=P

Anyone declining the interview because they realized after applying that its ridiculous to pay $52k (whoops, now $53,760) in tuition each year?

Last edited:
Anyone declining the interview because they realized after applying that its ridiculous to pay $52k in tuition each year?

My thoughts exactly. The tuition and living costs are why I'm not going to interview with Sydney. I don't even know why I spent 70 dollars applying...lol, could have gotten a new pair of runners instead.

ditto to above two posters

Are these schools pricing themselves out of the market?

I expect with the fall of the US dollar and the increase in tuition in Oz, that there are far fewer American applicants than there used to be.

Is this a problem for the schools or are they just filling out their international slots with people from SE Asia, Europe, etc.?

Are these schools pricing themselves out of the market?

I expect with the fall of the US dollar and the increase in tuition in Oz, that there are far fewer American applicants than there used to be.

Is this a problem for the schools or are they just filling out their international slots with people from SE Asia, Europe, etc.?

I think majority of foreign schools are starting to realize that there is just a massive number of North American applicants who are willing to pay anything for their medical education, so why not tap into that market and generate cash flow?

I mean, read through all the foreign threads and see how people are willing to really spend money, travel to different continants, and take on a significant amount of debt to become physicians.

I have researched Ireland, UK, Australia, and Carribean. And none of these options can really be considered cheap.

What I dont understand is why doesn't our own education department open more schools in rural and underserved areas? It's a worthwhile investment......but any way...........

Two good words for the US Dollar: Barack and Obama
Two bad words for the US Dollar: John and McCain

If we get a third Bush term in McCain, forget about it, the US Dollar will continue its nose dive.

I understand that people are willing to spend a great deal of money to get a medical degree, but when you start talking about > $50K tuition plus living expenses for 4 years, that's a lot of money to get. I presume that this is mostly private loans. What's the max that the US government will lend you now? In my day, it was $18500 or about $17500 net when fees were taken out.

In the past Canadians weren't able to get any substantial money for foreign schools by way of subsidized or other government loans. I guess I was wondering if that had changed or how you guys are financing this now.

GradPlus provides additional financing beyond the Stafford Grad/Professional loan, the limit for that one was increased to over 20k a year.

Anybody want to get together while we're in Vancouver?

Tuition has been steadily rising at all Australian schools and everywhere else.
When I started UQ was 32k AUD and Sydney was 40kAUD, the US dollar was stronger during that time. I think the Dollar might be in the midst of a recovery, I have been looking into this but its possible that the American dollar may rally against the Euro, Aussie, and other major currencies.

Last edited:
For all of you ladies and gent who are flying into Vancouver for your interviews, hope you enjoy the city and rock your interviews. =)

The weather should still be nice at this time of the year but getting chilly...pity our summers seem so short.

Hi guys,

I also had an interview on 22nd (Bdent). I really wish I can get in :), my parents and all my relatives are in Sydney and can't wait to move there:love:.

I know this is probably a stupid question but do you think that being 27yrs old (I know i am getting old) will be a problem making friends in Usyd? I have checked some facebook page for Usyd 2011 class and everyone seem so young!! Do you know how many of late 20's there are.

sigh.. maybe I worry too much....

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I also had an interview on 22nd (Bdent). I really wish I can get in :), my parents and all my relatives are in Sydney and can't wait to move there:love:.

I know this is probably a stupid question but do you think that being 27yrs old (I know i am getting old) will be a problem making friends in Usyd? I have checked some facebook page for Usyd 2011 class and everyone seem so young!! Do you know how many of late 20's there are.

sigh.. maybe I worry too much....

I'm 23, but most of my friends are around 24-28. I think medical students are usually relatively mature for their age... I doubt that you'll have much trouble.

There are students in their 30s in Medicine and Dentistry in Oz. I am one of them. There are even a few in their 40s.