USyd or UQ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got mt GAMSAT results back. Now that I know I can at least get an interview at USyd or UQ (my top 2 choices), I was wondering if anyone had any input on either school.

I'm thinking USyd would be good because of the clinical affiliations it has, and I'd love to live in Sydney. On the downside, I've read a lot of stuff on this forum in particular about how poor the program is at USyd (I take it with a grain of salt). I've also heard the student community isn't very tight knit at USyd.

The pluses of UQ include the 6 year MBBS/PhD program (i've done some research in the past, and it'd be great to have the option of full time faculty if I got sick of practising medicine. I'm also in the USA and I think that a PhD would make it easier to get a US residency if that's what I decided I wanted to do after finishing the programme). I think the student community may be a bit more tight knit than at USyd. The downside is I don't think I'd like Brisbane as much as Sydney (although I think Brisbane is a great city too). The clinical affiliations at UQ also don't seem as extensive.

I'd love to hear any constructive advice anyone has, especially if you think these generalisations are wrong.

Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

"I've also heard the student community isn't very tight knit at USyd."

Wow. Can someone elaborate? I have this same feeling about USyd (being a student there myself) but thought it might be just me. What's been mentioned?

mish said:
"I've also heard the student community isn't very tight knit at USyd."

Wow. Can someone elaborate? I have this same feeling about USyd (being a student there myself) but thought it might be just me. What's been mentioned?

No, it's not just you. (But I don't know if the community is "tighter knit" at any of the other GEMPs.)

The course is almost completely administered on a website. It's almost like taking a correspondence course. Think about it, you could do it from some other country -- and you wouldn't have to go to those bloody community doctor (dog****) sessions. And PPD -- same sort of bogusity. I've heard they are actually building a correspondence program (for the first two years) based on the video feed that goes out to those rural schools.

Most of the local students are from Sydney and live with their families. They go back to the suburbs after class. The library closes at some very early hour. There are no grades. No one seems to study much. There is no reason to "rally". The third and fourth years are about 50% non-clinical (classroom, essays, slideshows, "projects" and other various bull**** and 50% clinical so you don't get totally immersed in the clinical setting. In the hospitals, students are really just "in the way". (There is a lot of strife between the area health services and the University -- people argue that the hospitals just can't function with so many students in the way. It hasn't occurred to them to put the students to work. The hospitals are constantly complaining of workforce shortages!) Seems the bulk of the clinical Faculty are not on board -- they think the program has been watered down to nothing.

If you can just look at it as a means to an end, you'll survive. You can also continue to submit applications elsewhere.

The program is not very inspiring. But make up little tasks for yourself. I will get through this book by the end of the week. I will work 500 questions on the Kaplan site by the end of the week, whatever. Organize some interesting medical experiences for your breaks. You'll also find some interesting profs there -- try to establish some rapport. Do you have to do "options" -- are you interested in "inflammation". (IM me for the name of a great prof to work with -- you probably already know him but you might not realize how cool he really is. He thinks the program sucks so you can comiserate with him.)

I usually "measured" progress in books. Quite pathetic! At first, I read one British and one American text for each subject area. Then, just American ones (at least 2 per subject -- you can just pick them from the lists in "First Aid for USMLE", read both "texts" and prep books) -- better reads. Don't buy Davidson or Kumar & Clark -- they are insulting to your intelligence. Use Harrison's or Cecil or whatever else from the start. I did not study from any of those poorly written learning topics. Steer clear of those large study groups the administration recommends. If you find a similarily minded pal or two to study with, great. Otherwise, forget it. Just go about your own plan.

I also worked on my French and German. Start hanging out with expats in completely unrelated fields. Visit your consulate in Sydney -- there may be info on informal expat interest/hobby groups. Join the Uni Sports and Aquatic Centre behind the Wentworth building -- not just students. If you want a good GP to talk things over with, offer some insight on the system, get healthcare, whatever, IM me -- I know a great one there on campus. Brilliant. Take trips to Asian resorts as much as possible (Good deals post-tsunami.)

No, it's not an intellectually stimulating environment. It's a "sausage factory". It's a means to an end. :( Get what you can out of it. Find your "community" elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with all the above.

UQ is working on a policy allowing multiple rotations overseas. In the past, N. Americans have done this on an ad hoc basis, but a formulated policy will be nicer. Some dept heads have already decided they'll allow this (starting next year), while others are still being negotiated.

I like Brisbane, but it's not cosmo like Sydney or Melbourne, with less arts and museums, etc. But it is a really friendly city of over 1mill and it's hard to beat the weather or cost of living.

I too have heard that USyd social scene isn't as nice, from ppl i know who've hung out w/ both med programmes. It may be because Sydney's so big & "fast" and ppl generally go back to their own enclaves at night, while Brisbane still has it's "big rural town" feel, I dunno (Brisbane was apparently half the size 10 years ago). Or, maybe b.c. our med soc ROCKS as a catalyst :p.

Similarly, I'm predicting Convention this year in Sydney, while I'm sure will be great, won't be as socially cohesive as at Hobart last year, where the visiting students stuck together and dominated whatever venues they used -- ppl will more likely be going off on their own and visiting non-med friends, all the great sights Sydney has to offer, etc.

But from what I understand, the education will be comparable, and either case it'll be up to the individual to make sure sufficient science is learned for USMLE (if returning).

-pitman

pitman said:
But from what I understand, the education will be comparable, and either case it'll be up to the individual to make sure sufficient science is learned for USMLE (if returning).

-pitman

Hey pitman, can you elaborate on the returning aspect? I posted a similar question regarding a return timeline in the European forum and I wanted to know the same regarding Australian schools. When would you write Step 1 and Step 2? Since the school year starts at a different time in Australia would you have to wait a year before participating in the match or could you graduate and then enter the match the same year? Thanks for your help.

Cheers, canucker

UQ or USyd?
go with which city you want to live in. pitman described brisbane well, and nothing is more annoying than listening to transplanted sydneysiders and melbournites complain about how bris isn't cool as their city. So go where you want to live. Also, when you live in a larger city the class social aspect suffers. I was in Toronto before and the experience I had was very different than that at UWO or Mac etc. Everyone did their own thing in T.O. However, the education is comparable.
You could sleep through all your lectures for two years (which I did, put in a tough 4 week hardcore study schedule during holidays after 2nd year and score well on Step 1 - I got a 228)
Regarding the match, i'll graduate in Dec 2005 from UQ and will be entering the match for 2006. Obviously I'll have about 7 months off. So that's the timetable

canucker said:
Hey pitman, can you elaborate on the returning aspect? I posted a similar question regarding a return timeline in the European forum and I wanted to know the same regarding Australian schools. When would you write Step 1 and Step 2? Since the school year starts at a different time in Australia would you have to wait a year before participating in the match or could you graduate and then enter the match the same year? Thanks for your help.

Cheers, canucker

I"m not pitman obviously but I thought I'd add to the answer PillCounter's already given...

You can take Step 1 and 2 anytime you like (there are Sylvan centers in Oz where you can take them) as long as its enough time before the match.

Since you aren't required to be ECMFG certified to enter the match, as noted above, you'll graduate in December but will have completed all your application procedures for the NRMP in the late summer before your graduation in anticipation of starting residency the following July. When graduation comes, all you have left to do is send your diploma in and get your certification.

Thanks for the reply Kimberli.

Could you comment on the clerkship phase in Australia? I've searched previous threads but I wasn't able to find adequate descriptions of the clerkship experience. I realize that Australian schools don't exist to train N.American doctors but do you feel that clerkship in Australia prepares you for residency in N.America? Thanks for your help.

Cheers, canucker

canucker said:
Thanks for the reply Kimberli.

Could you comment on the clerkship phase in Australia? I've searched previous threads but I wasn't able to find adequate descriptions of the clerkship experience. I realize that Australian schools don't exist to train N.American doctors but do you feel that clerkship in Australia prepares you for residency in N.America? Thanks for your help.

Cheers, canucker

The basic difference (which I can see now that I'm involved in working with medical students here on their surgery clerkships) is the responsibility and expectations given to the students. Here the students are expected to pre-round, come in at least 1 day per weekend and to learn to suture and do procedures. In Oz, I was told NOT to pre-round (don't want to wake the patients), wasn't expected to come in on weekends, to take overnight call and no one expected me to learn procedures or want to spend extra time. Therefore, since I knew it would be different in the states, I put in a little extra time and effort to learning things and asking to be trained in procedures, etc. Students in the states are expected to know more about their patients than they were in Oz, or at least we ask them more here.

However, you can get this experience either by doing what you think you need to do in your clerkships or during your visiting elective clerkships. In general though, my rotations were exactly the same as they would have been in the US, except we did Psych during the 4th year: thus, in my 3rd year I did Ob-Gyn, Internal Medicine, Peds, family (General) practice and Surgery. I deliver babies, sutured up episiotomies and c-sections, helped with lumbar punctures on neonates, etc. I felt that the clinical years were MUCH better than the basic science years had been. Each school will have its own set of rotations and rules about what and how long. If you are contemplating going to school in Oz, make sure you do so at one which has at least 4 weeks of Family/General practice - you cannot get a license in California without that being done (not that you are considering Cali, but just in case).

I felt that my surgery clerkships and electives prepared me somewhat for residency in the US. My basic fund of knowledge was poor (from the first two years) but my skills were pretty good I thought. You'll never know what its like to be an intern until you really do it - there are Sub-Is in the US but again the amount of responsibility, call etc. will vary.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again for your reply.

From most of the threads that I've browsed on Australian schools, the common refrain is that PBL isn't good for learning basic sciences, and that self-study is required to prepare for Step 1/MCCEE. Did you find self-study using prep books etc. complemented what you learned in PBL? Did you find that you had enough time to study/research your PBL topics and also to prepare for Step 1?

These are pretty broad questions but I'm trying to get a handle on what to expect if I attend an Australian school.

Cheers, canucker

canucker said:

From most of the threads that I've browsed on Australian schools, the common refrain is that PBL isn't good for learning basic sciences, and that self-study is required to prepare for Step 1/MCCEE. Did you find self-study using prep books etc. complemented what you learned in PBL? Did you find that you had enough time to study/research your PBL topics and also to prepare for Step 1?

These are pretty broad questions but I'm trying to get a handle on what to expect if I attend an Australian school.

Cheers, canucker

Hey,
I think I might be able to give you some insight into the situation at USyd and USMLE study. First off all of Australia is pretty laid back. Your tutors, classmates, lecturers are far more relaxed about education than in Canada/US. This is not to say that they care less or aren't as knowledgeable, it's just a different philosophy down here. Medicine is looked at as more of a job then a lifestyle. So if you need a highly competitive environment to succeed then PBL is not for you.
I have recently begun USMLE study and while with PBL you don't cover as many differential diagnoses, the cases you do cover are covered very well. No matter where you attend med school you are going to be doing outside studying for USMLE/MCCQE....to think otherwise is foolish. I would suggest using the prep books as supplemental as you go through the course to help with exam prep and PBL. So to answer your question I am finding I have enough time to keep up with PBL, study for USMLE and still enjoy Australia.

canucker said:

Cheers, canucker
We were only in PBL or classwork for the first two years about 20 hours per week, so there was plenty of outside time to do both studying for PBL and the USMLEs. My studies did complement what I learned for PBL and vice versa.

It obviously takes some independence and self motivation. Of course, having the motivation of not looking stupid in PBL was a pretty big one for me, but I made sure I spent at least another 30-35 hours per week outside of school studying. You may need more or less but there is definitely time.

Hi Kim, thanks again for your replies, they've been really helpful. I've got a couple more questions. These questions are a bit off topic though (in the context of the original post).

Could you describe a "typical" day (pre-clerkship) at Flinders? I understand that even though the curriculum is primarily PBL there are lectures; how do they fit into the curriculum and how often/what times do you have them? Are they used in support of what's being discussed in PBL ie. a lecture on the basic science behind what's being discussed in PBL (or am I way off)?
Also, if pitman or any other UQ students are reading this I'd like to know how a "typical" day is at UQ. I've checked on the UQ website and they only have a little blurb on how a typical day is structured (from 8am-5pm, with 2 hours of self-directed learning). It seems as though UQ has a bit more emphasis on lectures than Flinders.

My second question is related to a discussion I had with a couple of friends a while back. Through conversations with close friends of theirs who had travelled through Australia they got the impression that racism is prevalent in Australia and that foreigners, especially visible minorities and those with an American/Canadian accent, in Australia may be subjected to discrimination and ridicule. Is there any truth to this? I was always under the impression that Australia was a pretty diverse and welcoming country.

Thanks again for your help.
Cheers, canucker

Members don't see this ad :)
canucker said:
...Through conversations with close friends of theirs who had travelled through Australia they got the impression that racism is prevalent in Australia and that foreigners, especially visible minorities and those with an American/Canadian accent, in Australia may be subjected to discrimination and ridicule. Is there any truth to this? I was always under the impression that Australia was a pretty diverse and welcoming country.

Australia is diverse and welcoming. But there will always be idiots in any country. There is some residual racism, and there are some xenophobes. However I don't think more so than what one would see in comparably sized towns (from hick-ville to metropolis) in the US, with the one exception that in many places Oz seems to be 20-30 years behind the US when it comes to its "blacks" (aborigines, in Oz).

Americans are often paid out, more so than Canucks (Americans are "seppos", which stands for "septic tanks"). But it's in good fun -- Aussies like to pay out EVERYONE, particularly their friends. In fact, as many an Aussie has told me, you should start worrying when you AREN'T paid out. Only once did i take it as a true insult, when a soccer opponent called me a "f*in seppo" on the field, but he lightened up when i replied, "yeah, i came to Oz to back up your mum's toilet" (whatever that means).

There's a lot of curiosity about N Americans and their culture. And most Aussies in med seem to have little interest in politics, so true policy arguments can be few and far between :)

Having said that, I have one caveat to offer: if you stand out too much, while being perceived to be trying to stand out, then there will be some resistance. This is part of the "tall poppy syndrome" -- you can't rise by appearing to trying to rise, or you'll be put into your place (and/or considered a "geek" -- there is an odd pre-occupation with not appearing to be one, despite the lack of meaningful definition and the self-contradiction in med). And b.c. Americans are a bit more competitive (outside of sport), and vocal (for example, asking questions in a lecture theatre or challenging professors), and have a long history of valuing, er forcing, individualism (Aussies, for example, live at home a lot further along in their education than do Americans), they may be a bit more likely to bare the brunt of this bizarro 'prejudice'. Not racism mind you, but a cultural quirk that some foreigners misinterpret me thinks.

-pitman

canucker said:
Hi Kim, thanks again for your replies, they've been really helpful. I've got a couple more questions. These questions are a bit off topic though (in the context of the original post).

Could you describe a "typical" day (pre-clerkship) at Flinders? I understand that even though the curriculum is primarily PBL there are lectures; how do they fit into the curriculum and how often/what times do you have them? Are they used in support of what's being discussed in PBL ie. a lecture on the basic science behind what's being discussed in PBL (or am I way off)?
Also, if pitman or any other UQ students are reading this I'd like to know how a "typical" day is at UQ. I've checked on the UQ website and they only have a little blurb on how a typical day is structured (from 8am-5pm, with 2 hours of self-directed learning). It seems as though UQ has a bit more emphasis on lectures than Flinders.

My second question is related to a discussion I had with a couple of friends a while back. Through conversations with close friends of theirs who had travelled through Australia they got the impression that racism is prevalent in Australia and that foreigners, especially visible minorities and those with an American/Canadian accent, in Australia may be subjected to discrimination and ridicule. Is there any truth to this? I was always under the impression that Australia was a pretty diverse and welcoming country.

Thanks again for your help.
Cheers, canucker

A typical day would start "first thing in the morning" which invariably was never earlier than 9 am! PBL sessions were twice a week, sometimes 3 for a more involved topic; I can't remember this far out which days those were - the first session of the week introduced the topic and the latter sessions built on the knowledge gained through review of the topic guidelines/goals.

Lectures and tutorials (ie, hands on practice with some topics like reading EKGs, chest xrays, suturing, etc.) were interspersed throughout the week. The times varied - sometimes in the am, sometimes in the pm. We never had a "tute" after 5 pm or over the lunch "hour" from 12-2.

Unfortunately, the lectures were often poorly time - ie, having an Intro do Cardiology lecture halfway through the block. We complained about it often but were told that it was "too difficult" to arrange the lecturer's schedule around the organ systems schedule and that we should use the lecture to review our knowledge. It frankly only led to many of us skipping the lectures. The intent is there to have the lectures support PBL and provide a basis but as noted, they were either often woefully inadequate or simply too little too late. I'm not sure if the situation there has changed - this was 8 years ago!

Adelaide I think is a little more provincial than the other urban centres and I think as such, you'll find more racism. As pitman noted, the aboriginal "problem" is really appalling and we were beaten to death with lectures on the issue by the Public health department at Flinders. I should have a degree in Aboriginal Health and Social Issues by now. ;) I also heard occasional remarks about people of Asian descent and it seemed really strange to realize how "white" Adelaide was...of course, I've lived in California most of my life so am used to a more diverse culture. As a caucasian female, I probably heard some comments that others wouldn't - simply on the assumption that I would be of like mind (us whiteys sticking together ya know).

As pitman also acknowledges, there is a fair bit of taking a piss out of Americans. Some of my classmates got really edgy about it; I usually didn't let it bother me but did occasionally when it seemed more sharp edged than just taking a piss outta Americans (can't say I ever heard the term seppo used; I'm familiar with it, but never heard it in Adelaide). But they do it to everyone, so there's no use in getting upset about it. Canucks aren't dealt the same hand as Americans. I found that I was usually asked if I was Canadian rather than American; usually explained that Americans didn't care whether they were called Canadians and canucks got insulted if they were assumed to be American! :laugh:

my 2 cents about the "racism" thing--
kim & pitman are right on the money; most minorities are pretty well accepted, though i find aussies are a little bit less "politically correct" than north americans. kind of goes hand in hand with the paying people out/taking the piss out of everyone thing. so you might hear slightly more uttered epithets about certain ethnic groups (which i personally would prefer not to hear), but very few people except the real hick/yobbo types seem to mean it.

that said, BOY do i get scrapped on initially for being american! sometimes i feel like i need a bumper sticker that says "don't blame me i voted for kerry" or something. plus, i remember my first day in oz when i was getting placed in classes and the dean basically told me that i was incompetent & looked down his nose at me because my undergrad transfer credits were from the us and therefore not up to snuff. and my thesis supervisor recently revealed that his first impression of me (which he admitted was based entirely on my accent) was one of "typical american arrogance". (they have a strong impression of americans being loud, obnoxious, and standardized--but then again, that's based largely on tourists!) i think he learned i'm not on an american high horse, and i think the dean eventually stopped looking down his nose, but both experiences were a bit disconcerting. still, it's DEFINITELY WORTH MENTIONING that these are all purely social reactions peole have. i have NEVER heard of anyone being restricted in their opportunities for the sake of race or nationality.

now the typical reaction, as kim and pitman have said, is to bag me out--and if i'm not getting bagged out for being american, then i worry! (and when they start bagging you out, once it's established that you're not a jerk about it, you can bag them out right back.)

so to answer your question-- yes it's a bit racist, but certainly not in a civil rights kind of way; it's just that the sense of humor is a little bit politically incorrect.

banana k said:
so to answer your question-- yes it's a bit racist, but certainly not in a civil rights kind of way; it's just that the sense of humor is a little bit politically incorrect.

I like how you put this, and agree. I like how unPC it is here (separate from any perceived racism), ironically refreshing compared to much of the US where *appearance* of civility is so important.

banana k said:
...that said, BOY do i get scrapped on initially for being american! sometimes i feel like i need a bumper sticker that says "don't blame me i voted for kerry" or something.

LOL! So true. I arrived during the height of the Clinton/Monica Lewinsky debacle. Not a day went by when I didn't hear some comment about it (which basically entailed asking why Americans were so concerned about it; after all most politicians, or married men for that matter, had affairs and besides, what the heck did it have to do with his ability to run the country?). I got so I just commented that we'd "come a long way since JFK and Marilyn Monroe". This usually seemed to get me a laugh, which as you note, is the best way to handle the Aussie sense of humor. If you get upright about it, it just reinforces their stereotype that Americans are humorless and self-centered.

...plus, i remember my first day in oz when i was getting placed in classes and the dean basically told me that i was incompetent & looked down his nose at me because my undergrad transfer credits were from the us and therefore not up to snuff. and my thesis supervisor recently revealed that his first impression of me (which he admitted was based entirely on my accent) was one of "typical american arrogance". (they have a strong impression of americans being loud, obnoxious, and standardized--but then again, that's based largely on tourists!) i think he learned i'm not on an american high horse, and i think the dean eventually stopped looking down his nose, but both experiences were a bit disconcerting. still, it's DEFINITELY WORTH MENTIONING that these are all purely social reactions peole have. i have NEVER heard of anyone being restricted in their opportunities for the sake of race or nationality.

Also my experience. The reactions typically fell into one of 4 groups:

- the teenagers who "know" the states from MTV and the like and can't wait to travel there. You usually run into them working at Big W (Wal-Mart) and they love asking you questions about it.

- the old timers who fondly remember the Yanks from WWII and how they really helped Oz out, or how much fun they had with them on R&R in SE Asia!

- those that typically accept Americans but love taking a piss out of us, especially about our beliefs that everything American is the best (and you WILL start to see how embarassing America and its citizens can be sometimes). This was by far the largest group. Interestingly, for all the pay out you get for being self-centered, the Aussies often did it because they believed THEY were the best. Although, I must say the secondary school education does seem to blow ours away. Somes have had bad experience with Americans and assume we are all alike, but once they get to know you, they will see its not the case. But initially they may believe that we are all Tall Poppies.

- the 4th group, thankfully a fairly small one, with negative associations with America. These are largely politically based and of course, have nothing to do with you personally. But it is interesting how Aussies dislike most of their politicians and don't believe they represent them, but somehow American foreign policy seems to define ITS citizens. Its not worth arguing with this group unless you enjoy futile exercises.

That said, there are some differences which will mark you as an American right away. I think someone mentioned it earlier about how the Aussies don't ask questions during lecture or challenge administration or faculty. I know I was seen as a bit of a rabble-rouser early on as I asked a lot of questions, spoke a fair bit during PBL and if I felt there was a problem, addressed it. When it became apparent to me (through some of my Aussie buddies) that the students that didn't know me well thought I was a bit, well, "typical American", I tried to scale it back a bit. Seems that if there was a problem (which was felt by all the students), I was "likely to make sure that someone was said about it" - hardly damning and frankly, some students appreciated it. But it is a different way of dealing with things than the Aussies would do.

My insistence that I get some sort of customer service when I shopped or ate out also marked me as American. The Aussies are either used to the lack of customer service or simply don't frequent a place that they believe to have treated them poorly. I, OTOH, would say something about it, especially if in a restaurant where I am paying for a meal that they got wrong THREE times! I guess another typical American reaction. :laugh:

As for the racism issue, there have been complaints, even posted here, about supposed racism, especially against those of Asian descent. Immigration from SE Asia has increased exponentially in Australia over the least few years and some of the Aussies, especially in smaller centres like Adelaide, haven't gotten to the point of getting used to that and understanding the different cultures. This is expressed usually in the form of stereotypical beliefs (which don't need repeating here as they are well known in the US as well) rather than any deep seated racism or civil rights violations.

Since I'm a Caucasian it would be inappropriate for me to comment on whether or not there exists institutional racism except to say I never saw it. Some have claimed here that Asian students or students of Asian descent were "preferentially" failed but since this is purely anecdotal at this point, it means nothing more than MY observation that the single Asian-American student I saw failed likely did so not because of her ethnicity but rather because she was a bit of a dim bulb.

Anyway, hope this helps.

We Australians have a rich and colourful history of using rhyming slang. It comes from our convict/cockney past, hence

bag of fruit = suit
frog and toad = road , to hit the frog and toad - is to leave

similarly,

seppo is a derivation of septic tank - which of course = yank = yankee
(we have no interest in which side of the american civil war your ancestors fought)

Generally terms like septic tank, honestly mean no offence. Being called an F*ing seppo is entirely a different matter, and pistols at dawn is the most appropriate way of settling that. The taunt however probably had more to do with your performance on the soccer field than your being American.

The "don't blame me I voted for Kerry" sticker, would almost certainly be met with blank faces by most Aussies - few of us know or care who our politicans are, let alone yours. That being said, there are those enlightened amongst us who feel duped and/or exasperated at getting dragged in to Iraq. Our anger is however mostly directed at that prime minister of ours who was so descriptively called an "arse licker" in federal parliament by our previous opposition leader.

Those enlightened amongst us, may well applaud such a bumper sticker.

JobsFan said:
We Australians have a rich and colourful history of using rhyming slang. It comes from our convict/cockney past, hence

bag of fruit = suit
frog and toad = road , to hit the frog and toad - is to leave

similarly,

seppo is a derivation of septic tank - which of course = yank = yankee
(we have no interest in which side of the american civil war your ancestors fought)

These are always a lot of fun. My mother always used "whistle and flute" for suit instead of "bag of fruit" - the multiple definitions makes for a lot of confusion. One of my favs was "dog and bone" for phone and "Kerry Packered" for being knackered (ie, drunk). Since probably few know who Kerry Packer is anymore I guess the term is one for the older generation.

If you watch "Lock, Stock and Smoking Barrels" there's a lot of the rhyming slang in it. Pretty much an unintelligible film for most. :laugh:

JobsFan said:
Being called an F*ing seppo is entirely a different matter, and pistols at dawn is the most appropriate way of settling that. The taunt however probably had more to do with your performance on the soccer field than your being American.

Or both: he was responding to my incessant yelling :p

JobsFan said:
The "don't blame me I voted for Kerry" sticker, would almost certainly be met with blank faces by most Aussies - few of us know or care who our politicans are, let alone yours. That being said, there are those enlightened amongst us who feel duped and/or exasperated at getting dragged in to Iraq. Our anger is however mostly directed at that prime minister of ours who was so descriptively called an "arse licker" in federal parliament by our previous opposition leader.

Those enlightened amongst us, may well applaud such a bumper sticker.

Oh good, cos i've got one on my clipboard.
and yes i've noticed that about good old Johnny H... he's a bit *ahem* attached to a certain president's glutes, isn't he? and i've got to say, i LOVE how the politicians here are allowed to scream names at each other during session on live TV! (interspersed, of course, with the very polite "mr. speaker!")

pitman, you're right, the lack of political correctness can be nice now and again. i think it goes along generally with the way over here of not giving a damn about whether you fit into a strict societal standard. i found that in boston people tended to place themselves in very set categories of dress code and conduct, whereas in oz, you've just got no idea what someone's about, and if your hair is less than perfect or if you've got a wrinkle in their shirt, no one notices. (although that could just be far north queensland and the fact that we're all dags...) blurting out a politically incorrect statement about schapelle corby or something just goes along with that, because you don't have to worry so much about keeping up appearances. very refreshing!

Wow, thanks for the all the replies! They've certainly eased my anxiety.

Pitman, I was hoping you could answer my questions about the UQ program structure. How often did you have lecture and PBL? Does the lecture supplement what's going on in PBL? Overall, did you find the lectures useful, especially in regards to learning the basic sciences, or were they a waste of time? Thanks in advance.

Cheers, canucker

In year 1, there's 7-8 hours max lecture time per week, not including micro, anat and physio labs, or public health and computer aided learning small-group sessions. In year 2 there are fewer lectures, typically 5-6, not including path -- the # of contact hours in general is reduced (w/ clinical time on the wards about the same, 2 hours per week). In theory one is supposed to spend the extra time researching/studying.

Last year I went to virtually every lecture, and I did find them useful. But this year I rarely go. I think the ideal to learn (for me at least) would be to go to the lecture after reading up, in order to reinforce the salient points and see what the lecturers want you to know, and later reading summaries of the week that float around the student body.

-pitman