UT Austin MD/PhD Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EngineerMedic

It's not rocket surgery...
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
UT Austin just opened their new medical school recently and seems to be getting ready to begin a proper MD/PhD program soon.

80WgcWQ.jpg

Does anyone have a good guess of when they're going to open this program?

Members don't see this ad.

One Dell adcom told me last year at the med school fair in Austin that it wouldnt be for several years. TX folks on these boards or national prog directors might have a better idea.

Also, even if it's in a time frame that works for you, I'm doubtful that you would really want to do it. MD/PhD programs aren't great places to be the first. Much better to go through a program with an established track record.

I'm sure the program will eventually be ok but being a guinea pig is not great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Any new medical school needs to have a track record on training MDs, prior to expanding into dual-degree programs. The UTMB/UT Austin MD/PhD program took about 1-2 students per year for about 7-8 years. When the UT Austin MD program opened, the UTMB/UT Austin MD/PhD program stop taking new applicants. There are several very good programs at U of Texas in Houston, Medical Branch, San Antonio and Southwestern. In addition, TAMU, Texas Tech @ Lubbock, and Baylor College of Medicine have MD/PhD programs.

Reactions: 1 user