UT Austin VS UT Dallas

Ramo35

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm in kind of a dilemma. I've been accepted into UT Dallas with full tuition scholarship and a $3000/semester stipend. My question is, how is the Pre-Med advising and program at UTD? What is the difference in opportunities (research, volunteering, shadowing, etc.) between both schools? I always thought that I was going to be attending UT Austin, but then I found out that will be receiving a lot of money from UTD. I know that it is a really good deal, but what do you guys think? Should I accept UTD's offer? Or should I attend it's more well known counterpart, UT Austin? I have visited both campuses and I didn't feel that great about UTD. At UT Austin I felt more at home; however, I am scared of rejecting all this money UTD has offered me. Thanks for your suggestions, I look forward to seeing all of your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd take the money, seeing as it doesn't really matter. You can make your own research opportunities every summer (like MD Anderson in Houston has a program, but there are many). Dallas has a huge number of hospitals available for shadowing and a much larger medical center in general. Volunteering can be done anywhere (crisis hotline, hospital, whatever), and both cities should have many opportunities.

Just choose a major with topics you're passionate about, make good grades, do well on the MCAT.

Full disclosure- my choices were between Rice and MIT. I got a bunch of scholarship money from Rice, making it a great deal, so I went there. This has not held me back in any way, obtaining med school or residency acceptance.