UT Houston Class of 2009! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, I'm gonna get a ton of PMs with questions but I'm gonna answer them here so I don't get the same question 50000000000000 times. :)
don't worry, I'll remove all names :p

Hey there,

I am thinking about staying where I live currently for first year and wanted the opinion of a current student. I am about a 30 minute drive from the med center (non rush hour) and was wondering if commuting is a logistical possibility (ie wasting that much time a day just getting home). I hear MS1 is pretty rigorous, so I was wondering on your input. Also, where do the UT-H students that commute park and how much is it a month. Right now I do smithlands and its like 56 a month. Thanks a lot!

Most single/non-married students live pretty close to school the first 2 yrs. After that they spread out a bit more after to getting to know the area better. Married (esp w/kids) tend to live in Pearland because of good cost of living (bigger houses for the $) and good public schools.

I think it is good to live nearby (get a roomie if you're worried about $$) ESPECIALLY first year since this is when you are getting to know your class and learning how to deal with the stress of med school. No one wants to drive 30 min to 'hang out' and there will be a ton of actitivies going on near school. You'll get plastered with emails about outings/parties/dance lessons/athletic events/etc the first few weeks of school. Just remember giving up an 1hr+ of your day will be alot unless driving calms you and counts towards your veg time. People who it would be a bad idea to live with are parents and those who party any time they can because they just won't get your lifestyle.

Tons of people live in condoland or somewhere along the metro line. If you drive in you will continue to park in an external parking lot like you already do and ride either the metro (for free, part of your parking fee) or one of the free TMC shuttles. I personally live in an apt complex right by the free Blue shuttle and that is how I get to school. Look on the TMC and Metro site for details.

Something else I REALLY REALLY REALLY wish I had done was buy a condo! You can get a 1bdrm and live alone or 2+bdrm and get roommates. I hate throwing away my rent every month and many areas around here would be a great investment and you'd probably make money instead of just breaking even (or losing money on rent.)

Members don't see this ad.

::Seabass:: said:
anyone who is in Houston today should come to the meetup tonight. I'll be in clinicals next year so this may be my only chance to meet you, lol.

COME! :smuggrin:

People that should come tonight :
current MS1s (petergriffin, etc)
jdovez
lancep97 (is nederland close?)
RangerD
Keberson
AJ
getunconcsious
stitch626, uberstu, bluerose (if you live here)

26/m/submarine officer (that's not a joke)

I get out of the Navy in July and start classes in August. I am so stoked!

Congratulations to everybody! We really earned it, I have been calling people all day, and that has been lots of fun. I am really looking forward to meeting everybody. This feeling is great. UTH was my first choice. I'm from Houston, currently living near the submarine base in New London, Connecticut.

Members don't see this ad :)
ajnak182 said:
Keep guessin', I interviewed in December. And yes, it does sound creepy, but is it even creepier that I kinda like it? :smuggrin: :D

21/M, flowing mane of brown hair, flawed personality/servant (man-*****?) to the rich a.k.a. waiter

-Me

Hmmm...flowing hair. That sounds hot, very Fabio. Unfortunately you are not the AJ I thought you were. You deceived me, charlatan!

As for the get-together, count me out. I'm in Austin. I guess I'll see y'all during the Retreat. (when is that?)

Did anyone here interview on 8-20-04?

Shauna Marie said:
Hey everyone!
Just wanted to say hi to all my future Houstonians. I hope you are all as pumped as I am about matching at Houston :D . Is anyone else having a really hard time getting anything productive done today?

And for what its worth 20/f/student

In a word......yes.....haven't really done ish

People that should come tonight :
current MS1s (petergriffin, etc)
jdovez
lancep97 (is nederland close?)
RangerD
Keberson
AJ
getunconcsious
stitch626, uberstu, bluerose (if you live here)

Sheeeeeet thanks for calling us out. But, alas I think I must pass. Unfortunately I currently live south of houston (where I may have to remain for another year for financial reasons) and the weather is NAAAAASSSSTTTTYYY. However, I def think we will/should get together again sometime pretty soon!!!! Preferably on a friday or weekend :cool: so that I can bring my gf along!

What's up guys!...count me in!
I can't wait to meet you all either...

does anyone know anything about that new university housing that they're building right now? some people are telling me to jump on it before it gone.

here's to the next 4 years...

anyone who is in Houston today should come to the meetup tonight. I'll be in clinicals next year so this may be my only chance to meet you, lol.

COME! :smuggrin:

OK I have been giving this more thought.....if I can twist the woman's arm (and assuming she hasn't had too tough a day) I would love to meet you guys tonight. Where and when are people hitting this thing up?

jdovez said:
OK I have been giving this more thought.....if I can twist the woman's arm (and assuming she hasn't had too tough a day) I would love to meet you guys tonight. Where and when are people hitting this thing up?
meetup tonight

if you can't come till later that is cool too, just get someone's phone number Evodevo is in charge, probably the best bet.) we'll probably head to the village after dinner and people will be joining up there too.

SHIRAJ said:
does anyone know anything about that new university housing that they're building right now? some people are telling me to jump on it before it gone.
I don't know about the new housing but I think the old housing had 1br for about $550/600 per month and is right by the athletic center (which rocks by the way)

I know there will be new housing and it looks cool from what is built so far. Either way university housing goes fast because it is cheap and is on our our free shuttle line. I'm guessing you should contact student affairs.

Another thing I forgot to mention, as a UTH student there is another free shuttle for you and many drive and park by one of its stops for free and ride that in to school.

Hey guys,
Congrats on UT-Houston. I'm not going there for med school, but I currently attend grad school here. Anyhow, here is the scoop on university housing.
http://ae.uth.tmc.edu/housing/index.html
Click on 1885 El Paseo.

If you're interested in housing you need to complete an application ($50) fee and put $200 for deposit. The sooner you do this, the better. The new waiting list started the 12th of January, and if you wait too long you won't get an apt.

Hi all,
Please post when you get your letters and which address it arrived at(permanent versus mailing-> helps us living out of state know where to expect it). I'm really anxious for mine so that it can become official.

MadameLULU said:
Hey guys,
Congrats on UT-Houston. I'm not going there for med school, but I currently attend grad school here. Anyhow, here is the scoop on university housing.
http://ae.uth.tmc.edu/housing/index.html
Click on 1885 El Paseo.

If you're interested in housing you need to complete an application ($50) fee and put $200 for deposit. The sooner you do this, the better. The new waiting list started the 12th of January, and if you wait too long you won't get an apt.

Hey LuLu....thanks for the link. I was just wondering, if I wanted to rent one of these apartments if it would be a problem if I wanted someone to live with me (ie a 1br with my gf). Thanks. I know at a lot of out of state schools they cram multiple med schools into 1 apartment (ie NYC)

Members don't see this ad :)
Like everyone else I am so stoked to be going to medical school. I'm a small town girl, so Houston is going to be a major change - but I'm looking forward to it cause my med school class looks like it is going to ROCK!

PS - I saw y'all were taking stats so mine are: 21/f

No it's not a problem. You just need to make sure that one person is connected with an academic institution in the med center(Baylor, UT-H, etc.)

jdovez said:
Hey LuLu....thanks for the link. I was just wondering, if I wanted to rent one of these apartments if it would be a problem if I wanted someone to live with me (ie a 1br with my gf). Thanks. I know at a lot of out of state schools they cram multiple med schools into 1 apartment (ie NYC)

I live in University Housing now and it's great. I think all of the new apartments are already reserved...I put down my deposit in December. But the old apartments are nice too, and cheap. I split $715/mo with my roommate. And as was mentioned before, it's right by the rec center

Hey all,

Just wanted to say that unfortunately i'm not going to be able to make the meet up tonight. I just got off of work and Nederland is about 90 miles east of Houston. Hopefully we can plan something on a weekend with a little more notice so that more of us can go. When are most of you going to start looking for a place in Houston?

LanceP97 said:
Hey all,

Just wanted to say that unfortunately i'm not going to be able to make the meet up tonight. I just got off of work and Nederland is about 90 miles east of Houston. Hopefully we can plan something on a weekend with a little more notice so that more of us can go. When are most of you going to start looking for a place in Houston?

The second look weekend is probably a good time to check out places. I've learned from experience not to get a place without looking at it first. I'll probably move there in mid-July.

Hello everyone,
I am new to this SDN thing. Hope to get you know more about you, my future classmates at UT-Houston c/o 2009! :)

23/F

Well so far its looks like the girls are outnumbering us guys. I'm sure all the guys are thoroughly disappointed.

EEEEE said:
Hello everyone,
I am new to this SDN thing. Hope to get you know more about you, my future classmates at UT-Houston c/o 2009! :)

23/F

Welcome EEEEE! We are all going to have so much fun come August!

Anyone know when UTH is sending out letters?

b-real said:
Anyone know when UTH is sending out letters?

According to TMDSAS, the schools are susposed to send them out Feb 1st. Hopefully UTH will do that because I really want mine. I think I'm just having trouble accepting that the application process is really over and I want it to be official.

OK all, I'm ALL IN now for UT- Houston.

- Anyone gonna be older than FORTY-SIX when we start?
(or will I really be older than most of you'all's parents?)

- Or have their wife, kid and pets living in San Antonio while we're learnin' bout med'cin?

Nyuk Nyuk
Russ

I'm in for the UT-Houston. I'm still waiting on Baylor and I'm on the waitlist for UTSW but i don't see that working out. Most likely I will be heading to Houston. I'm really anxious about getting the acceptance letter. I want to hear some official news.

I think it might be a good idea for those of us on www.thefacebook.com to chat with each other so we can get to know each other better. I'm on there right now, feel free to look me up... Stephen Metting at UT Austin.

oh 21/M

congrats everyone!

Ok people, this thread shouldn't already be on the second page. It's only a day after match!

Emily

Seabass, I have a question for you. Do you know who I can contact at UTH about financial aid? I have a question and when I called the number from the website yesterday, the lady who answered didn't have any idea what was going on and she wasn't exactly helpful.

Thanks!
Emily

Ylime said:
Seabass, I have a question for you. Do you know who I can contact at UTH about financial aid? I have a question and when I called the number from the website yesterday, the lady who answered didn't have any idea what was going on and she wasn't exactly helpful.

Thanks!
Emily
hmmm, I don't know. I only filed for financial aid my first year and didn't have any questions. maybe try to call back and get someone else?

I may be able to answer your question, but probably not. :(

Your suggestion about real estate is something that I have been pondering for a while. Could you give me some suggestions on where good areas (safe neighborhood, relatively close to TMC, relatively non-money gouging) are? I would really appreciate your comments! Thanks.

I would suggest looking into getting a real estate agent or spending a day driving around getting a feel for the area. It really helped me to just drive around for a couple hours and you have to figure out how to get around at some point anyways. ;)

There is the area south of the TMC called CondoLand, kinda btwn Reliant Stadium and the TMC. Lots of condos but lets face it, just lots of condos. People are also really starting to buy condos in Midtown and the Museum District. Some areas have a couple blocks which are nice, then it goes ghetto, then nice again. Maybe more likely to get a bigger return on your investment and more in a neighborhood.

Hi guys!!

I just wanted to say hello to some of my fellow classmates, I'll be joining you all this fall !! I wasn't able to go to the meetup last night and I was wondering if you all wanted to try and plan one for this weekend, I would love to meet some of you guys. I am soo excited about Houston, it was my first choice :)

Trish 23/f

Hey Trish... Congrats on UTH!

I think having a get together would get a great idea. If we do it we should plan at least a couple weeks in advance because I know a couple of us would have to ask off of work and plan on driving to Houston. Anyone have suggestions on a date and place??? Did anyone get their packet from UTH in the mail today? I didn't. :cool:

LanceP97 said:
I think having a get together would get a great idea. If we do it we should plan at least a couple weeks in advance because I know a couple of us would have to ask off of work and plan on driving to Houston. Anyone have suggestions on a date and place??? Did anyone get their packet from UTH in the mail today? I didn't. :cool:

I think planning a day is a great idea. I live in Houston so most any weekend is good for me. I'll only be gone feb 18th-20th so if we could avoid that weekend it would be best for me. If anyone is interested in attending and have a weekend preference please post so we can accomodate as many people as possible. Can't wait to meet you all. and Congrats again :)

Ok.. so the mail was a little late today.. I just got my certified mail packet of information from UTH. Since I have a little extra time today i'm going to go ahead and get my transcripts mailed in today. I want to be absolutely positive that it gets there in time. ;)

SEUPATTY said:
I think planning a day is a great idea. I live in Houston so most any weekend is good for me. I'll only be gone feb 18th-20th so if we could avoid that weekend it would be best for me. If anyone is interested in attending and have a weekend preference please post so we can accomodate as many people as possible. Can't wait to meet you all. and Congrats again :)

I'd def be up for meeting more of you guys soon. Weekends are the best time for me at least, however THIS weekend is not so good (Super Bowl and all). But, I would be game for any other weekend. Just let me know. :thumbup: :confused: :p

Glad u got your packet, Lance. I'm gonna need UTH to come on with that letter, I'm afraid that maybe TMDSAS made a mistake. Have most of you gotten your letters today?

I got my letter today too! :) :) :)

I guess it wasn't a dream...it's for real! I'M IN!!! :thumbup:

Hey guys,
What address did your letter arrive at (permanent or mailing)? My permanent address is in Sugarland, TX but my mailing is in Georgia. Just want to know when and where to expect it. Thanks!

Brain said:
Hey guys,
What address did your letter arrive at (permanent or mailing)? My permanent address is in Sugarland, TX but my mailing is in Georgia. Just want to know when and where to expect it. Thanks!

Hmmm...hard to say. :confused: Both are the same address for me.

No letter. :( I'm in Austin though.

A get-together sounds great. Any weekend.

I got my letter today as well, but I'm in Houston so it should definently get here faster. It was postmarked feb 1st. I assume everyone else (not currently in Houston) should get theirs the next day if in state, or the day after next for out of state, just a guess. For the record, both my mailing addresses were the same.

Does anyone know when the first day of school starts in August? In the packet it just said August. I'm ready to move to Houston and get out of this part of Texas. It's going to be a huge change going from a city of 16,000 to a city the size of Houston, but I can't wait.

My mailing address was also my permanent address.

LanceP97 said:
Does anyone know when the first day of school starts in August? In the packet it just said August.
orientation usually 2nd week in August, school starts 3rd week (8/15)

orientation usually 2nd week in August, school starts 3rd week (8/15)

That would be my guess...we started on 8/16 last year. Don't forget to go to Retreat the weekend before classes start!

Does anyone know how and when we have to confirm our intention to enroll in the fall? Thanks.

Mikie

LanceP97 said:
Does anyone know when the first day of school starts in August? In the packet it just said August. I'm ready to move to Houston and get out of this part of Texas. It's going to be a huge change going from a city of 16,000 to a city the size of Houston, but I can't wait.

My mailing address was also my permanent address.

Is anyone else thinking about moving to Houston in the next month or two?

In the packet you will get in the mail it says that they have to have written confirmation that you accept their offer by Feb. 15. The packet contains a letter that you sign saying that you accept which you send back with an enclosed envelope.

I wish I could go ahead and move to Houston in the next few months but I've got to keep working to save up a little more money before then. I think I will look for an apartment in June hopefully.

Stitch626 said:
Is anyone else thinking about moving to Houston in the next month or two?

Wish I could, but I have to finish my last semester of my undergrad. I'm going to start looking for a condo at the begining of the summer though.

P.S. Congratulations to everyone!!!! Can't wait to meet all of y'all. :D

KristenLS said:
Wish I could, but I have to finish my last semester of my undergrad. I'm going to start looking for a condo at the begining of the summer though.

P.S. Congratulations to everyone!!!! Can't wait to meet all of y'all. :D

OK, I don't know the least bit about real estate, but it seems to me that in order to get a condo you have to have a decent down payment. Is this not correct? Also, does it not cost money to maintain and in taxes and the like on top of the mortgage? Does anyone know the average (or range) of lower to mid ranged condos in the med center area? I haven't really considered this because although I don't like pissing away my money on rent, I figured it would be too $$ of a proposition to purchase something. Any thoughts?

Hey everyone! My name is Michael and I'm going to be one of your classmates! I really look forward to meeting all of you and getting to know you better. By the way, is anyone else having trouble getting motivated to finish out the last semester? I know I am! Well, yall have a great day! Go UT HOuston!!!!!!

If you guys start to find nice places to live, please post what you are finding. My husband and I are planning to move at the end of may or early june. It really depends on when he finds a job there.

As for finishing the semester, I am taking calculus, and now I HAVE to finish it. Eek! Should be alright, though. I just have to pass, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.