******UT-Houston Class of 2011*******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancer75088

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to start this thread to meet future classmates!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll see you there:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Dancer, when did you interview?

I go to Baylor. What about you? Also, have you received the acceptance packet yet?

Dancer, when did you interview?

I go to Baylor. What about you? Also, have you received the acceptance packet yet?

I graduated from TCU, but I currently live in a small suburb of Dallas. I received a certified packet that contained the official acceptance letter and a letter to return to them accepting or declining my seat in the class, no other information, though. I think they will be sending out other info after the match in February.

I graduated from TCU, but I currently live in a small suburb of Dallas. I received a certified packet that contained the official acceptance letter and a letter to return to them accepting or declining my seat in the class, no other information, though. I think they will be sending out other info after the match in February.

Hmm...I still haven't received the packet. I probably should contact Tiffany Reyes to make sure they sent it to the correct address.

Hmm...I still haven't received the packet. I probably should contact Tiffany Reyes to make sure they sent it to the correct address.

I just received it today...

Hello, I too may be joining u all. Debating cuz I also got UTSA too. What are some of your reasons for choosing Houston other than location, facilities, and nice people?

Hello, I too may be joining u all. Debating cuz I also got UTSA too. What are some of your reasons for choosing Houston other than location, facilities, and nice people?

I also got into UTSA... UTH and UTSA were both my top choices, so it was a very difficult desicion for me. I chose UTH for the reasons you mentioned above, as well as the fact that I have friends and family in Houston. Basically, I have a support network, people outside of the medical school, in Houston, and I wouldn't have that in San Antonio. I think that UTSA is a great school with great people, but I feel that Houston is the better fit for me.

I have friends at UT-Houston and Baylor.

I just wanted to start this thread to meet future classmates!

Yay my interviewing buddy got in too! :clap: :clap:

I'm still trying to decide between UTSA and UT-H but I'm leaning towards UT-H at the moment.

I received a certified packet that contained the official acceptance letter and a letter to return to them accepting or declining my seat in the class, no other information, though. I think they will be sending out other info after the match in February.

Who was it through? USPS or UPS or Fedex or something? Did you need to sign for it? I'm just paranoid because I'm never at home to sign for anything. :scared:

Yay my interviewing buddy got in too! :clap: :clap:

I'm still trying to decide between UTSA and UT-H but I'm leaning towards UT-H at the moment.

Who was it through? USPS or UPS or Fedex or something? Did you need to sign for it? I'm just paranoid because I'm never at home to sign for anything. :scared:

Thanks! I had no doubt that you would receive multiple offers! Anyways, it was USPS, and I think if you are not there, they will leave you a postcard that says you have a certified letter and to come and pick it up at the post office. (You do have to sign for it...I was lucky it came on Saturday, so my mom was home!)

did anyone decide to go to UTH over UTSW? if so, why?

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone decide to go to UTH over UTSW? if so, why?
If I get into UTSW I would chose Houston over UTSW.

But that's a personal choice because, of the medical students I know from there, I get along with very few of them. I just don't think I would be happy there. So not saying you couldn't be... how did you think SW "fit" you while you were there?

If I get into UTSW I would chose Houston over UTSW.

But that's a personal choice because, of the medical students I know from there, I get along with very few of them. I just don't think I would be happy there. So not saying you couldn't be... how did you think SW "fit" you while you were there?

I have met quite a few students from UTSW, and they certainly are not people that I would want to spend the next four years of my life with.

Any of you lurking current Houstonians want to give me your opinion on the university apartments? I was thinking about that because it would be so much simpler.

My brother lives in the university apartments. They are the best you can get for the money. However, they are hard to get into. They are strict on rules, but great security.

Right now it's my #1 choice! I'm still deciding though.

:thumbup:

Okay, I need some help deciding between UTMB and UTH. I got a pretty good scholarship from UTMB but nothing from UTH. However, I would MUCH rather live in Houston than in Galveston.

I want to get you guys' opinions on this. Would you choose UT-H or UTMB + $20,000?

Thanks for the help! =)

The administrative issues going on at UTMB are scary IMO. I also don't want to live in Galveston.

That scholarship is nice, but you're going to be on loans anyway. In the long run, it won't be THAT significant.

Okay, I need some help deciding between UTMB and UTH. I got a pretty good scholarship from UTMB but nothing from UTH. However, I would MUCH rather live in Houston than in Galveston.

I want to get you guys' opinions on this. Would you choose UT-H or UTMB + $20,000?

Thanks for the help! =)
Wow I don't envy that decision... I didn't really like UTMB at all... is that $20,000 over 4 years or for each year. If it's each year for 4 years then I disagree with the12thmd: 80k is a big chunk of the debt you're going to be in.

But if it's 5k a year... I dunno. That's a hard decision.

I don't even think tuition + books CAN cost $20,000 a year at UTMB.

I was thinking $5k a year. Clear this up Pkboi!

I just walked across the street to turn in my acceptance of admission to the admissions office :D I look forward to joining you guys next term :)

It's 5k a year. If it was 20k a year, this decision would be easy.

I just walked across the street to turn in my acceptance of admission to the admissions office :D I look forward to joining you guys next term :)

Yeah, another classmate! I mailed mine yesterday!

So I *still* haven't gotten my letter. :(

It wasn't overnight was it? I'm starting to get alittle worried that it hasn't come yet.

(Still trying to decide between SA and Houston though :( )

No, it was regular mail. Maybe because you have a scholarship they mailed yours at a different time? Just a guess... you could try calling just to make sure. Have you heard from Baylor yet?

No, it was regular mail. Maybe because you have a scholarship they mailed yours at a different time? Just a guess... you could try calling just to make sure. Have you heard from Baylor yet?
No. :(

*dies alittle more inside*

I'm not getting my hopes up, but it's all good! Houston is an awesome school and I'm super excited to have you guys as potential classmates next year! :)

Hey guys, I have a question. Is it easier to get a residency in TMC if you go to UTH or baylor?

Congrats to all of you :thumbup:

Any of you lurking current Houstonians want to give me your opinion on the university apartments? I was thinking about that because it would be so much simpler.

A lot of ppl like living in the student housing....it's affordable, right next to the gym, and there's a UT bus that will take you to and from school.

Housing is usually not a problem though......there are about a billion apartment complexes and condos within a few miles of the medical center, with all sorts of different amenities/price ranges/transportation options (metro, private shuttles, etc...) You'll be able to find something you like :)

I found some data on UTH's average step 1 scores, and they're at least a bit concerning (especially when I think of UTMB's scores).

• 2003: 91% passing (same as national average); average score 214 (national average 216)
  • 2004: 89% passing (national average 92%); average score 208 (national average 216)
  • 2005: 86% passing (national average 92%); average score 208 (national average 216)

The numbers are from these documents, for the citation-crazy among us ;): http://www.med.uth.tmc.edu/dean/pdf/03 Faculty Mtg Handout-Final.pdf http://www.med.uth.tmc.edu/04 Faculty Meeting Handout-Final.pdf http://www.med.uth.tmc.edu/05 Faculty Meeting Handout.pdf

The 2005 document includes this note:
The downward trend in our Step 1 performance has been a cause of concern despite the School providing second-year students seven months of access to the online Kaplan Qbank of 3,000 Step 1 test preparation questions. Dean Schultz has approved as an additional test preparation tool diagnostic and mock Step 1 preparation tests from the Institute for Professional Preparation at the University of Missouri-Kansas City. These tests have been used effectively by the Medical University of South Carolina to bring their students’ passing rate from a low of 83% to the current 96-97% with a mean score above the national average.

Anyone else worried about this?

Also, anyone have links to UTH match lists? All I could find online was 2005's.

Hey guys, I have a question. Is it easier to get a residency in TMC if you go to UTH or baylor?

I don't think so. From what I have heard, they like well qualified people like everywhere else. While I have not heard you are at a disadvantage going to those schools, I have heard they give everyone a pretty even playing field when applying to residences. You have to remember this is the TMC, a lot of people from all over the country want to do residencies there.

Anyone else that *still* hasn't gotten their letter from UT-H? I'm starting to get paranoid here!

I still haven't gotten mine, but I am going to be in Houston for the weekend, so I may just stop by the school to see if I can sign a copy of the form in person.

I don't think so. From what I have heard, they like well qualified people like everywhere else. While I have not heard you are at a disadvantage going to those schools, I have heard they give everyone a pretty even playing field when applying to residences. You have to remember this is the TMC, a lot of people from all over the country want to do residencies there.

That's not the impression I have. Pretty much anywhere you go, there's a "home field" advantage, or so I hear. That could be based on outright preferences or simply the connections you make while being a student there. If you look at the numbers, I believe about a quarter of UTH students match in a UTH program, and a good number in Baylor programs. That could be merely self selection, but I doubt that's the only factor.

anyone know if there are opportunities for research in the summer before ms1?

I found some data on UTH's average step 1 scores, and they're at least a bit concerning (especially when I think of UTMB's scores).

• 2003: 91% passing (same as national average); average score 214 (national average 216)
  • 2004: 89% passing (national average 92%); average score 208 (national average 216)
  • 2005: 86% passing (national average 92%); average score 208 (national average 216)

The numbers are from these documents, for the citation-crazy among us ;): http://www.med.uth.tmc.edu/dean/pdf/03 Faculty Mtg Handout-Final.pdf http://www.med.uth.tmc.edu/04 Faculty Meeting Handout-Final.pdf http://www.med.uth.tmc.edu/05 Faculty Meeting Handout.pdf

The 2005 document includes this note:

Anyone else worried about this?

Also, anyone have links to UTH match lists? All I could find online was 2005's.

CRAP?! Are you serious? I don't think this is right. When we asked this one resident there, she mentioned that so far (this was Sept. 6, 2006), that the pass rate was at least 92% for the exam this summer. Other profs, folk, etc told me it was close to average or above average...that means low 90s, not high 80s!!!

I still think I'll go to UTH over UTMB, but that disturbs me if it's legit and accurate.

CRAP?! Are you serious? I don't think this is right. When we asked this one resident there, she mentioned that so far (this was Sept. 6, 2006), that the pass rate was at least 92% for the exam this summer. Other profs, folk, etc told me it was close to average or above average...that means low 90s, not high 80s!!!

I still think I'll go to UTH over UTMB, but that disturbs me if it's legit and accurate.

Even if this is true for 2005, it says that they have taken actions to improve the scores. That to me is a very positive thing.:)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=4422575&posted=1#post4422575

See the thread above. The person says that UTH step 1 scores were 217-220 this year...that's a heck of a lot better than 206. How are we going to get the EXACT data.

Btw, I couldn't open the links to Afterthought's entry above. What are the citations?

The numbers I cited were from yearly "Faculty Meeting Handouts." They're all pdfs. Make sure you click the link and don't copy-paste them because the forum software omits part of the URL.

Here are the exact paragraphs from each:

2003: "Of the 187 students who took Step One of the United States Medical Licensing Examination
(USMLE) following the second year, 170 (91%) passed, the same as the passing rate for the
national reference group (all examinees taking the exam for the first time). The mean total
score for our students was 214, and the mean total score for the reference group was 216."

: Of the 195 students who took Step One of the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) following the second year, 173 (89%) passed, as compared to a 92% passing rate for the national reference group (all examinees taking the exam for the first time). The mean total score for our students was 208, and the mean total score for the reference group was 216.

2005: Of the 199 students who took Step 1 of the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) following the second year in 2004, 172 (86%) passed, as compared to a 92% passing rate for the national reference group (all examinees taking the exam for the first time). The mean total score for our students was 208, and the mean total score for the reference group was 216.
The downward trend in our Step 1 performance has been a cause of concern despite the School providing second-year students seven months of access to the online Kaplan Qbank of 3,000 Step 1 test preparation questions. Dean Schultz has approved as an additional test preparation tool diagnostic and mock Step 1 preparation tests from the Institute for Professional Preparation at the University of Missouri-Kansas City. These tests have been used effectively by the Medical University of South Carolina to bring their students’ passing rate from a low of 83% to the current 96-97% with a mean score above the national average.

I'd be interested in what the 2006 results are, but I didn't find them.

That's not the impression I have. Pretty much anywhere you go, there's a "home field" advantage, or so I hear. That could be based on outright preferences or simply the connections you make while being a student there. If you look at the numbers, I believe about a quarter of UTH students match in a UTH program, and a good number in Baylor programs. That could be merely self selection, but I doubt that's the only factor.

Many go there because they want to stay in Houston now that they have roots there. I know about 3 people that go to UT Houston, applying for residences and they say TMC likes the most qualified people regardless of where they went to medical school. True they may have some advantage but you still have to be qualified. Since I may want to go to medical school there and do a residency there; trust me I wish you did have a huge advantage and hey, you may that is just what I have heard.

Hey guys, I'll likely be joining you next year, assuming Baylor stays quiet.

General question, does anyone know if more people live alone or with roommates?

Hi guys! I just got my letter today... I'm so excited! :clap:

I was just wondering, does anyone know if the amount in our scholarship offers is the total amount (ie. total/4 = amount each year) or is amount the amount awarded each year?

Hi guys! I just got my letter today... I'm so excited! :clap:

I was just wondering, does anyone know if the amount in our scholarship offers is the total amount (ie. total/4 = amount each year) or is amount the amount awarded each year?

I'm pretty sure its a 1x thing. At least if it is similar to mine.

I'm pretty sure its a 1x thing. At least if it is similar to mine.
The letter is worded like this "This is an award of $xx and will be awarded annually for four years."

So I know it's over 4 years I'm just not sure if it's xx/4 each year or xx each year... see what I mean? Kinda confusing wording...

xx/4 = meh.
xx 4x = HOLY CRAP

The letter is worded like this "This is an award of $xx and will be awarded annually for four years."

So I know it's over 4 years I'm just not sure if it's xx/4 each year or xx each year... see what I mean? Kinda confusing wording...

xx/4 = meh.
xx 4x = HOLY CRAP

Hmm, sounds like I'd much rather have your offer. Mine is not all that impressive, and is not affecting my decision at all.

But, from the wording of yours, it sounds like "xx 4x." And if that really is "holy crap," well then.... HOLY CRAP!!! :thumbup: :laugh:

PS: where do I get in line?

Hmm, sounds like I'd much rather have your offer. Mine is not all that impressive, and is not affecting my decision at all.

But, from the wording of yours, it sounds like "xx 4x." And if that really is "holy crap," well then.... HOLY CRAP!!! :thumbup: :laugh:

PS: where do I get in line?
Oh good :clap: :clap: I'll call them Monday to make sure. Covers almost all tuition and fees.

PS - You get in line right behind me... but I don't promise to leave much. :mad: There are about 10 groups on facebook calling for him to get kicked off the team.