******UT-Houston Class of 2011*******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you guys remember asking the medical students some of the following questions:

At UTH, do most students use the syllabi/notes instead of text books for studying?

Do lectures and labs really go from 8am to 5pm every day? That would be 40hours/week. I thought med school was about 30 hrs/week, lecture + labs.

Also, do most students go to lectures. Did anyone not go to most of the lectures in undergrad? I could have sworn we were supposed to in undergrad. This whole skip-lecture-in-med-school thing is alien to me. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys remember asking the medical students some of the following questions:

At UTH, do most students use the syllabi/notes instead of text books for studying?

Do lectures and labs really go from 8am to 5pm every day? That would be 40hours/week. I thought med school was about 30 hrs/week, lecture + labs.

Also, do most students go to lectures. Did anyone not go to most of the lectures in undergrad? I could have sworn we were supposed to in undergrad. This whole skip-lecture-in-med-school thing is alien to me. :rolleyes:
I remember them talking about the lectures being avaliable online to view from home... I think there are breaks during the day so it's not all day every day but you should have gotten a sample lecture schedule in your interview packet.

Yeah, Anastasis, I did get that sheet you were talking about. That sheet was for the first week of class (I'm pretty sure), so I didn't know if it was accurately representative.

I think I heard some students say that they listen to lectures at 1.5 or 2 times the speed.

Oh, well...not stressing.

Here's another question for you UTH students...how many of you are involved in relationships...married...et cetera.

Just curious, my girlfriend of 1.5 years just dumped me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally, yes, and this is probably true at many/most schools. Textbooks are a reference, but the syllabi are cram-packed with material as it is.

Short answer is no. Back in my day (that being a year ago), we still had to dissect every single gross lab-- so Mon/Wed/Fri afternoons were spent in lab, on top of lecture in the morning. That sucked. But now, they have some system where you only dissect every other time, which frees up more afternoons. And then Tues/Thurs is histo lab..I think I went to that once.

That's just 1st semester though-- the class hours drop after that. 2nd semester and 2nd year, it's mostly just 8-noon lectures every day, with lab once a week.

That's fine-- the difference btw here and undergrad, though, is that UT-H provides streaming videos of just about every class. So this gives you the option of watching at 1.4 or 2x speed at home. Personally, I go to class b/c I can't concentrate on videos no matter how hard I try.
There are some required lectures, and there are some demonstrations in class that are hard to see/hear on the video too.

About relationships-- many people in my class are in relationships, some are married, some have children. I've personally been in a long-distance relationship for the past year (I've been with this guy since college), and it's been working out fine b/c we're both busy.

As for board scores-- I'd want to see the 2006 scores before jumping to any conclusions. As an MS2 who will be taking the boards in June, the past data doesn't worry me-- how well you do, from what I've seen, depends more on how hard you worked during the coursework years and how efficiently you study at crunch time than your school's average score.

Generally, yes, and this is probably true at many/most schools. Textbooks are a reference, but the syllabi are cram-packed with material as it is.

Short answer is no. Back in my day (that being a year ago), we still had to dissect every single gross lab-- so Mon/Wed/Fri afternoons were spent in lab, on top of lecture in the morning. That sucked. But now, they have some system where you only dissect every other time, which frees up more afternoons. And then Tues/Thurs is histo lab..I think I went to that once.

That's just 1st semester though-- the class hours drop after that. 2nd semester and 2nd year, it's mostly just 8-noon lectures every day, with lab once a week.

That's fine-- the difference btw here and undergrad, though, is that UT-H provides streaming videos of just about every class. So this gives you the option of watching at 1.4 or 2x speed at home. Personally, I go to class b/c I can't concentrate on videos no matter how hard I try.
There are some required lectures, and there are some demonstrations in class that are hard to see/hear on the video too.

About relationships-- many people in my class are in relationships, some are married, some have children. I've personally been in a long-distance relationship for the past year (I've been with this guy since college), and it's been working out fine b/c we're both busy.

As for board scores-- I'd want to see the 2006 scores before jumping to any conclusions. As an MS2 who will be taking the boards in June, the past data doesn't worry me-- how well you do, from what I've seen, depends more on how hard you worked during the coursework years and how efficiently you study at crunch time than your school's average score.

Hi Oddnath! WOW, thank you so much for the response! I definitely appreciate the insight. I think you bring up a good point about board scores. I don't how wise it is to let that be the determining factor! UTMB may drop to 95% over the next 3 years. UTH may go up to 95% over the next 3.

Btw, are other students at UTH as helpful and cooperative as you? That would be something exciting and reassuring to know. Med school is going to be rough, but if there's a we're-all-in-it-together-and-let's-help-one-another mentality at UTH (which was my impression on interview day, but you would know more accurately than this), then I am EXCITED! :)

This is a brilliant post from my very cool classmate :) I'll just throw in my .02:

The schedule first semester of first year is definately the busiest.....but this is only if you go to class. Some people find that going works great for them so they go.......others don't find it useful so they don't ever go. You just have to find what works for you. I went to every class the first two weeks, then I stayed home every day for two weeks (except for gross lab) and compared.

I don't know what the married/single ratio is but I would guess there's plenty of both.....you can spot the married people becuase they are wearing clean clothes at the end of a test week.

Everyone uses the syllabus to learn the material.....some people use text books to reference things if they feel the syllabus isn't clear enough but it's not something I usually do, I just read the syllabus. A lot of ppl use review books to help relearn things later.......this is another thing that you have to play around with and find a method you like.

Be sure and request a second year mentor, as they can tell you what books to use and probably even give you most of them......my 2nd year was a never ending supply of helpful information. He took me to the bar after finals last year....he had to drive me back also :thumbup:

Hi Oddnath! WOW, thank you so much for the response! I definitely appreciate the insight. I think you bring up a good point about board scores. I don't how wise it is to let that be the determining factor! UTMB may drop to 95% over the next 3 years. UTH may go up to 95% over the next 3.

Btw, are other students at UTH as helpful and cooperative as you? That would be something exciting and reassuring to know. Med school is going to be rough, but if there's a we're-all-in-it-together-and-let's-help-one-another mentality at UTH (which was my impression on interview day, but you would know more accurately than this), then I am EXCITED! :)

It's really hard to be as cool as Oddnath, but we try :D

I wouldn't worry about the board scores....it's all about the work you put into it, just like everything else. Imagine if we took all the MCAT scores of EVERYBODY that applied to medical school and said "this is what a medical school applicant looks like!" And some of you would be like hey I did better than that! So an average is an average....if u know what i mean.

I think the atmosphere of the school is of the "we better hang together" variety.....ppl will spend a lot of time typing up review charts and tables and then email them out to the class (I owe these ppl).....someone will find a good review book and tell everyone about it and etc......ppl work together well, I think it's a good atmosphere to learn in.

It's really hard to be as cool as Oddnath, but we try :D

I wouldn't worry about the board scores....it's all about the work you put into it, just like everything else. Imagine if we took all the MCAT scores of EVERYBODY that applied to medical school and said "this is what a medical school applicant looks like!" And some of you would be like hey I did better than that! So an average is an average....if u know what i mean.

I think the atmosphere of the school is of the "we better hang together" variety.....ppl will spend a lot of time typing up review charts and tables and then email them out to the class (I owe these ppl).....someone will find a good review book and tell everyone about it and etc......ppl work together well, I think it's a good atmosphere to learn in.

Hey Thanatos,

Thanks for the help! :) It's really cool to hear from UTH med students first-hand instead of hearing information that we've heard from other people that have heard from students there! I'm VERY excited about being a student there...the TMC is amazing.

Here's another question for you...Do most of the med students there study in the library or the LRC and stuff...or do most just go to their rooms/apartments? Don't most students live within about 5 miles of the school?

Take care! :D

For those who got scholarship offers, did you get a second letter later, or did your offer come with your acceptance letter? At this point I could flip a coin to pick between houston and utmb. Thanks

For those who got scholarship offers, did you get a second letter later, or did your offer come with your acceptance letter? At this point I could flip a coin to pick between houston and utmb. Thanks
My offer came in the same packet as my acceptance letter.

Hey Thanatos! Thanatos made my gross anatomy tank group lively. He always had some sort of entertaining story, no matter how monotonous or disturbing the dissection. And then we had this other tankmate who would sing and rap, and she did the entire penis dissection by herself. And the other guy pretended not to notice, but I'd catch him cracking a smile at our antics. Go tank B6!

About studying locations-- everyone has their own preference. Some people stay in their apartments (and most people live fairly close to school, though some buy property in Pearland), and some people live in the library/LRC. I personally don't do either of those..I prefer coffeeshops. Oh and there's the Rice library and UH law library too. And bubble tea places. I don't know why, but there's people who love studying with bubble tea and anime soundtracks.

Hey Thanatos,

Thanks for the help! :) It's really cool to hear from UTH med students first-hand instead of hearing information that we've heard from other people that have heard from students there! I'm VERY excited about being a student there...the TMC is amazing.

Here's another question for you...Do most of the med students there study in the library or the LRC and stuff...or do most just go to their rooms/apartments? Don't most students live within about 5 miles of the school?

Take care! :D

I would venture to say that most of us live close to the school....there's no shortage of apartments and condos within 5 miles but I think we have a classmate that lives in Katy and several in Pearland. Everyone has their own preference on where to study......there are ppl who practically live in the LRC, I wouldn't be surprised if they get their freakin mail delivered there :laugh:

I study at home just because it's so convenient. I don't exactly attend class on a regular basis (ever) so on days I don't have to be anywhere I sit at my desk and watch lectures.....when I get hungry I stop and eat, etc.....it's much easier to get stuff done, as long as you can avoid distractions.

If you have an xbox and plan on studying at home........sell it on ebay :)

Hey Thanatos! Thanatos made my gross anatomy tank group lively. He always had some sort of entertaining story, no matter how monotonous or disturbing the dissection. And then we had this other tankmate who would sing and rap, and she did the entire penis dissection by herself. And the other guy pretended not to notice, but I'd catch him cracking a smile at our antics. Go tank B6!

Now those were the good old days! And I'd be perfectly content to let her do that dissection again.......I have a sense of humor that would impede my ability to ever be a urologist. Hope ur test preparations are going well, it's about that time of year.....if ur gonna be in town over xmas give me a call!

Just to warn everyone, if you had a change of address during this application cycle make sure you notify UT-Houston and the other TMDSAS schools. I changed my address on TMDSAS a month or two ago, and never received my acceptance packet from UTH. Tiffany Reyes had to email me the form today so that I could fax it back.

Members don't see this ad :)
And Anastasis, have you made any decisions between UTH and UTSA?

And Anastasis, have you made any decisions between UTH and UTSA?

I'm still up the air between the two just on their merits but I'm leaning towards UT-H based on the scholarship. I'm trying to put off any decision til I hear back from UTSA about scholarships.

I've been trying to compare living expenses at San Antonio and Houston and I found these links and thought I'd share:

http://sfs.uth.tmc.edu/fa_docs/living_expenses_budget_0607.html

and

http://sfs.uth.tmc.edu/fa_docs/student_budgets_0607.htm

Are you guys planning on having a roommate or just living by yourself? I've never lived by myself so I'm leaning towards that. It would be nice not to need to worry about house drama for once in my life. :rolleyes:

I found this long and really great post about the housing around TMC:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3405490&postcount=75

I've been trying to compare living expenses at San Antonio and Houston and I found these links and thought I'd share:

http://sfs.uth.tmc.edu/fa_docs/living_expenses_budget_0607.html

and

http://sfs.uth.tmc.edu/fa_docs/student_budgets_0607.htm

Are you guys planning on having a roommate or just living by yourself? I've never lived by myself so I'm leaning towards that. It would be nice not to need to worry about house drama for once in my life. :rolleyes:

I found this long and really great post about the housing around TMC:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3405490&postcount=75

Yeah, I've seen the budget for UTH. I'm not too worried about finding a place with $808 for rent. I have already found a couple of really nice apt. complexes really close to the TMC that have single bedrooms renting for ~$800/month.

Check out this website for help.

http://www.texasexplorer.net/ApartmentsMedicalCenter.htm

Nice website, thanks.

BTW, here's one more link (then I swear I'm done procrastinating and I really am going to start studying for my biochem final):
http://www.ridemetro.org/schedules_and_maps/system_maps/tmc_web.pdf

I know I want to avoid driving as much as possible so I thought it was nice to have a map with the bus/light rail map overlaid so when I look at apartments online I can figure out what they mean by "close" to the light rail ;)

This was posted in its own thread (thanks sebsvenmdc)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=343636

Ok, for all of you thinking about UTH or UTMB. Here is information regarding the USMLE Step 1 scores:

Year...UTH....UTMB...Nat'l...UTH...UTMB...Nat'l
2002....91%......NA.....91%.....214.....NA......216
2003....89%.....96%....92%.....208....223......216
2004....86%.....93%....92%.....208....221......216
2005....92%.....96%....93%.....219....224......217
2006....95%.....99%....94%.....220....228......219

* Indicates preliminary results.

(The UTMB data comes straight from their website. The UTH data came from some admissions person...it's legit.) One more thing to add...the above dates correspond to the year that the exam was taken rather than the year of graduation.)

Does anyone know if very many Baylor students stay in the UTH university housing?

Since Methodist is no longer affiliated with Baylor, would we still be able to do away rotations here? Anyone know how easy it is to do away rotations at UTH?
I don't know anything about Methodist, but I've seen Baylor students do away rotations at UT. For example, Baylor doesn't have a formal emergency medicine training program, so students do away rotations at Hermann for EM.

As for Baylor kids in UT-Housing..I think my next door neighbor is a Baylor grad student. So it happens.

(And rent at Housing is far less than $800/month..I think some of the 2 bed/2 bath apts in the old section are like $750/month.)

I just wanted to say HOWDY!!! I'm definetly going to UTH! It feels really crazy, and it was so hard to say no to all the other places, but I couldn't be more excited. And I have to say, I picked it because it just felt right. Maybe that's silly but that's the best advice I got on how to pick, and I felt like that is how I had to go. UTH just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling :) esp when I see the white coat ceremony video. That's going to be us one day! Soon! :love: :thumbup: :D

I just wanted to say HOWDY!!! I'm definetly going to UTH! It feels really crazy, and it was so hard to say no to all the other places, but I couldn't be more excited. And I have to say, I picked it because it just felt right. Maybe that's silly but that's the best advice I got on how to pick, and I felt like that is how I had to go. UTH just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling :) esp when I see the white coat ceremony video. That's going to be us one day! Soon! :love: :thumbup: :D
Howdy Sarah! I'm a member of the fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2004!! I've heard a rumor that UT-H is almost like another A&M (apparently they LOVE aggies!)

I felt totally at home there as well - maybe that's why!

Congrats on getting in! :D

Welcome! I can't wait either!

Hey guys - I'm 99% sure I'm headed to Houston at this point. Still waiting on a possible scholarship offer from SA. I was kinda sad about not getting into Baylor but you guys seem like you rock and as time passes I'm more and more excited about our class for next fall :D We're going to be doctors! :clap:

Edit: I only say that about Baylor just to point out how much I think you guys rock ;)

Okay so now I'm going to ask the important question. I know you were all thinking this I'm just the one with the guts to say it:

Who is making the facebook group? Come on. I know one of you wants to do it. Dancer? I think it should be you. ;)

UT-Houston Medical School Class of 2011!

Okay so now I'm going to ask the important question. I know you were all thinking this I'm just the one with the guts to say it:

Who is making the facebook group? Come on. I know one of you wants to do it. Dancer? I think it should be you. ;)

I'm not on facebook nor myspace, but I will be there in spirit.

Did any of you receive a personal phone call after your interview. "Sarah" thanked me for coming and referred any questions to the admissions office. Don't want to put too much into a phone call, but maybe this is a premonition of life-changing news to come. Most importantly, Congratulations for a hard-earned seat into the 2011 class. :cool:

Unfortunately, I am not on facebook..:eek: so I am not sure how to do it. If someone wants to tell me how, I will be glad to join and set everything up! I hope that you choose Houston, but I am rooting for Baylor to send you an acceptance because I know that is really where you would like to go!

Did any of you receive a personal phone call after your interview. "Sarah" thanked me for coming and referred any questions to the admissions office. Don't want to put too much into a phone call, but maybe this is a premonition of life-changing news to come. Most importantly, Congratulations for a hard-earned seat into the 2011 class. :cool:

I got a letter in the mail signed by Dr. Kellaway thanking me for interviewing and saying me or my family could visit any time and here are the great things about UT Houston. I got it sent to me the day after my interview. So it could mean good things!

And also.... I'll make the facebook group if its ok with everyone! I'm definitely on facebook :D It can be kind of a problem.

Unfortunately, I am not on facebook..:eek: so I am not sure how to do it. If someone wants to tell me how, I will be glad to join and set everything up! I hope that you choose Houston, but I am rooting for Baylor to send you an acceptance because I know that is really where you would like to go!
I really want to be a doctor! Houston just seemed like a really warm place - I think it's an awesome place to become a doctor! :)

I got a letter in the mail signed by Dr. Kellaway thanking me for interviewing and saying me or my family could visit any time and here are the great things about UT Houston. I got it sent to me the day after my interview. So it could mean good things!

And also.... I'll make the facebook group if its ok with everyone! I'm definitely on facebook :D It can be kind of a problem.

Oooo I got that letter to! I think it's a way good sign! :luck:

Yeah, and you should make the facebook group!! I'll be the really geeky girl that ends up joining first ;)

I really want to be a doctor! Houston just seemed like a really warm place - I think it's an awesome place to become a doctor! :)

Oooo I got that letter to! I think it's a way good sign! :luck:

Yeah, and you should make the facebook group!! I'll be the really geeky girl that ends up joining first ;)

Letter/call - yes
Invite - no....maybe it is coming

Wasn't Dr. Kellaway the most motherly assistant dean of admissions? I hope and pray that I hear from her very soon! :cool:

PS AggieSarah, please tell all your aggie friends that the sooner nation is truly indebted to your football program. We hope to bring home the big $$$ from the fiesta bowl!!!!!

I got that letter too, but I also had a personal note written to me by Dr. Kellaway. I don't know why she remembered me, I only spoke to her once at the registration.

I got that letter too, but I also had a personal note written to me by Dr. Kellaway. I don't know why she remembered me, I only spoke to her once at the registration.
I had a note from her too - She interviewed me though. She made some crack about me dropping rock climbing :laugh: (yeah that's a long story)

Sarah: Sweet! Thanks :)

Wasn't Dr. Kellaway the most motherly assistant dean of admissions? I hope and pray that I hear from her very soon! :cool:

PS AggieSarah, please tell all your aggie friends that the sooner nation is truly indebted to your football program. We hope to bring home the big $$$ from the fiesta bowl!!!!!

Ok Yay everyone join the facebook group. And we aggies do what we can to BTHO t.u. I was super excited they were knocked out..... anything to make a t-sip cry. Though I have to admit I root for them when ya'll play at the cotton bowl because all the sooners take up my highway and cause terrible terrible traffic. (i'm from denton, darn I-35)

Oh..... and MUCH more on topic, does anyone know any of the details about the anatomy exam issue. I saw about it on one of my friend's facebook profiles. I'm interested to hear about what happened

Oh..... and MUCH more on topic, does anyone know any of the details about the anatomy exam issue. I saw about it on one of my friend's facebook profiles. I'm interested to hear about what happened
This was basically a huge fluke that you guys don't need to worry about-- nothing like that happened my year. An answer key was posted before a test started. Drama ensued. They'll retake it on Saturday.

The only kind of test drama that my class had was b/c the Hurricane Katrina evacuation was in the middle of one of our exam blocks.

Is anyone going to take UT-H up on the "second look"?

This was basically a huge fluke that you guys don't need to worry about-- nothing like that happened my year. An answer key was posted before a test started. Drama ensued. They'll retake it on Saturday.

The only kind of test drama that my class had was b/c the Hurricane Katrina evacuation was in the middle of one of our exam blocks.

I heard through my roomate's friend that attends UTH that there were some academic integrity issues. Is this more rumor mill or fact? I'm in love with UTH, but being an Aggie, i'm not into cheating of any kind.

I heard through my roomate's friend that attends UTH that there were some academic integrity issues. Is this more rumor mill or fact? I'm in love with UTH, but being an Aggie, i'm not into cheating of any kind.
I'm sure you get stuff like that happening at every medical school. People are dicks and dicks will get past the interview screen. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

That being said, I had no idea about any of this til you posted.

(oh and our little facebook group is so cute! and slowly growing! :D )

Is anyone going to take UT-H up on the "second look"?

Thought about it, but my break is already crazy busy. Are you going?

when is the second look? did you guys get a letter about it?

Well, basically, since the key was accidentally posted on the department website (which has lots of useful study links), lots of people were clicking on links on that page (anatomy diagrams and study questions, etc) in their last minute studying. Many people also clicked on the link to the accidental key. Is seeing the key receiving unauthorized aid, i.e. cheating? It is, but many people really had no intention of cheating. It was more of a "oh crap, that's actually the key! We need to tell the prof" kind of thing.

But once again, it's a huge fluke. It's like if you were given a written exam and it already had all the answers on it, accidentally. What to do? Re-administer the exam on a later date, and that's what's happening.

Oh, and come to the revisit weekend, if you can! It's a good time with BBQ and a night out.

I'm sure you get stuff like that happening at every medical school. People are dicks and dicks will get past the interview screen. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

That being said, I had no idea about any of this til you posted.

(oh and our little facebook group is so cute! and slowly growing! :D )

Thought about it, but my break is already crazy busy. Are you going?

I was thinking about going down the day after my graduation and looking around again.

I went and did a second look before Thanksgiving and it was really nice. A med student showed me and a couple guys around. The guys also brought both their parents which I thought was really nice too. It was kinda like the tour during the interview with all the walking and stuff but much smaller and we could ask whatever we wanted. We even went in again and saw another heart surgery.

I am interested in this second look BBQ thing I heard about. Not that I think I need another look :) The second look just confirmed how much I love UTH at the interview. Anyone else interview with Dr. Goldschmidt? She is just the cutest lady EVER!

I went and did a second look before Thanksgiving and it was really nice. A med student showed me and a couple guys around. The guys also brought both their parents which I thought was really nice too. It was kinda like the tour during the interview with all the walking and stuff but much smaller and we could ask whatever we wanted. We even went in again and saw another heart surgery.

I am interested in this second look BBQ thing I heard about. Not that I think I need another look :) The second look just confirmed how much I love UTH at the interview. Anyone else interview with Dr. Goldschmidt? She is just the cutest lady EVER!

Never heard about the BBQ second look. When and where did you hear about it? Also, when is it?