UT-Houston School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In our packet they mention two housing areas, anyone know anything about them?

7900 Cambridge

1885 El Paseo

?

I'm going to be seeing a whole bunch of places Thurs and Friday. I'll let you know.

I found this place today, but the lady I spoke with said they aren't going to have any units ready for move in until mid August. It's less than 1 mile north of UT-H, and there is a rail stop one block away. It's literally perfect, other than the $2 per square foot she said the will charge! :eek::eek::eek: YIKES! :eek::eek::eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think my parents are looking to purchase...

SWEET! You will absolutely not have a hard time finding condos/townhomes to buy. I was driving around today and making notes of places I would like to look into, and I can tell you right now that there are more than enough town homes/condos in the area. It looks like they are popping up all over the place, especially some really swanky ones that have signs saying "from the $500's" :eek:. HAR.com seems to be a good source for realty.

:idea: You should convince your parents to buy a penthouse at The Mosaic and host a study group there. Just a thought :D

I'll let you guys know how my tours go.

Last edited:
SWEET! You will absolutely not have a hard time finding condos/townhomes to buy. I was driving around today and making notes of places I would like to look into, and I can tell you right now that there are more than enough town homes/condos in the area. It looks like they are popping up all over the place, especially some really swanky ones that have signs saying "from the $500's" :eek:. HAR.com seems to be a good source for realty.

:idea: You should convince your parents to buy a penthouse at The Mosaic and host a study group there. Just a thought :D

I'll let you guys know how my tours go.

No joke, I was just about to post about The Mosaic. I am dyinggg to live there!!! I hear from yuppies in H-town that it's not doing as well as they'd hoped (especially with this economy) so perphaps we can get a good price. Although I can't promise a penthouse. But it will be great either way. ;)

If that one enticed you, you will probably like the Valencia. It's about 2 miles south of UT-H, and it's located right on the rail (Smithland's stop). Here's a couple ($163,900, $151,900) that I found on HAR.com to give you an idea. Keep in mind they have a maintenance fee of $249/mo.

Thank you! I think Valencia is definitely one of the top places on our list, because the location is A-mazing right on the lightrail and it has a fitness room, is newer, etc. I kind of am tossing around midtown too, since it's right on the rail as well and the area seems like so much fun!

Thank you! I think Valencia is definitely one of the top places on our list, because the location is A-mazing right on the lightrail and it has a fitness room, is newer, etc. I kind of am tossing around midtown too, since it's right on the rail as well and the area seems like so much fun!
If you or anyone else finds something nice in either the midtown or museum district area, would you mind telling us? :D I'm looking to relocate to either of those areas once my contract expires in a few months. Those areas are awesome and it's a nice escape for those that don't want to be surrounded by medical students at university housing or Lanesborough.

If you or anyone else finds something nice in either the midtown or museum district area, would you mind telling us? :D I'm looking to relocate to either of those areas once my contract expires in a few months. Those areas are awesome and it's a nice escape for those that don't want to be surrounded by medical students at university housing or Lanesborough.

I know, it definitely seems like a nice escape to live in midtown surrounded by real-world people, which is why I am considering it...it seems like the commute wouldn't be bad at all if you get a place on the light rail (correct me if I'm wrong). I'll keep ya'll updated on what our realtor finds!!!

In our packet they mention two housing areas, anyone know anything about them?

7900 Cambridge

1885 El Paseo

?

They are gated in by the same fense. El paseo is only a couple of years old. It's more expensive, nicer, and longer waitlists. Cambridge is older, but perfectly livable, cheaper, and easier to get into. If you're definately going to school here and want to get into housing, apply ASAP.

FYI, I called 713-500-3361 and got my student ID number. As of right now, UT-Link is saying I'm not eligible to log in, but maybe in a few weeks.

Also, the immunization records are due before class starts, and if you are one of the few who doesn't have a Hep B vaccine you should get started... I think it takes around 6 months to complete.

Last edited:
FYI, I called 713-500-3361 and got my student ID number. As of right now, UT-Link is saying I'm not eligible to log in, but maybe in a few weeks.

Also, the immunization records are due before class starts, and if you are one of the few who doesn't have a Hep B vaccine you should get started... I think it takes around 6 months to complete.
Thanks for the info. Is that the only way to get the ID number?

I haven't gotten any info on immunization records, are we getting a packet with info on where to send required documents, background check, etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten any info on immunization records, are we getting a packet with info on where to send required documents, background check, etc?

Ya, I think most of this will come in the packet that they are sending out next week. I actually started all of this early because of the Financial Aid applications. I wanted to get my FinAid app in early to guarantee funds and just stumbled across all the other stuff. FYI the school code is 013956.

Here's a link to incoming student forms.

Here is the checklist for incoming students.

And everything else can be accessed from this page and then click on "incoming students."

:D:D WHOO WHOO I'M STILL PUMPED FROM MATCH DAY! But I'm trying to stay cool :cool::cool:

I was wrong about this. You only need to have completed 2 of the 3 injections before registration per immunization-record.doc. But it still takes over a month to get 2 of the 3.

I'm really looking forward to ordering the white coat, though I'm not exactly sure what size I need. It also never explicitly states what day the white coat ceremony is, does it? I've looked around at the checklist page, but I don't recall seeing a date for anything other than white coat orders being due.

I also want an updated scholarship application :) edit: it looks like they've updated it since I checked it ~a month ago. Gotta get on that..

Army: In late Feb or March, you're going to get a huge packet of papers and one of them will be a form for you to order your white coat. It will also have basic info about sizes. For the past couple of years, the white coat ceremony was in the evening on the day of orientation, which is the week before school begins. A couple of years ago it was Aug 15, '07 and I think the current MS1's had theirs on Aug 13, '08. It's usually on a Wednesday and the following Friday is the first day of the famous retreat. You'll receive more information regarding the retreat from the current MS1 class in the coming months.

Ncp: In said packet there should also be a form for MS2 buddies. They have those questions like hobbies, movies you enjoy, what do you do on a Friday night, etc.

Well I went to look at a few places today... and the general consensus among most nicer apartments is that they will not hold an apartment for 6 months (i.e. I can't sign a lease this month for August move in). Many of them have shuttles (which is nice), but they don't tell you that you have to pay for the shuttle. i.e. The McGregor makes you buy "tokens" at $.50 each (so $1 round trip). This adds up to about an extra $20-25/mo. depending on how often you go to UT-H. A few of the nicer places, I think the AMALFI was one of them charge $1 per token.

I'm used to Austin, where if you don't sign a lease by February, you are stuck with a crappy apartment. The Lanesborough seems to be very very popular among med students. It is right on the rail, but they have recently cancelled their security guard contract. I think I might be a little too security conscious to stay there. 7777 Greenbriar seemed popular too, but again a little vulnerable to the cockroaches that lurk around Old Spanish Trail.

Also, an apartment locator that I synced up with said that there is a little bit of a price drop once march/april come around (5%-8%) because of exiting 4th years and entering residents in april/june. She said that her information will be availableinside a packet at the march get together, and it's when most people start to look and sign.

There was one that really impressed me. I was willing to sign a lease today, but they wouldn't let me unless I committed to a 13 mo. lease starting in June. :thumbdown:thumbdown This property will remain nameless so that I don't have any competition. :shifty:

it seems like very very few ppl on SDN got into UTH... their class size is like 50% bigger than a&m's yet a&m has like 50% more posts in their class thread.

i didnt get an offer from UTH or match there..... but when i interviewed there, it seemed like quite a few people got pulled off the waitlist last minute. can any med students tell me how many of their classmate were pulled from the waitlist last minute-ish?

it seems like very very few ppl on SDN got into UTH... their class size is like 50% bigger than a&m's yet a&m has like 50% more posts in their class thread.

Looks like A&M's thread has been pretty busy every since pre-match offers went out. UT-H's thread didn't really pick up steam until a couple weeks ago.

Alongside counting forum postings, another reference could be that the UT-H facebook group has 45 members and A&M group has 48 members. But then again, A&Mers have had more time to join their group.

Last edited:
yeah, I'm surprised by how few people are on here.

I'm very excited to see many 08 or earlier graduation dates on the facebook group. I was so worried that the class would just be full of young gunners.

I'm getting really excited about the upcoming year. I think we're going to have an amazing time.

(turn truly legal in july, right in time for med school! whoop.)
:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

There will be none of that at any University of Texas institution. :laugh: No, seriously though. :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

Aggie_Fail.jpg

Last edited:
I'm very excited to see many 08 or earlier graduation dates on the facebook group. I was so worried that the class would just be full of young gunners..

I was going for oldest person in the class (YOU'RE MY BOY BLUE!) at age 25, can you beat that?

As far as I've seen every class has a token 40-45 year old, often with children nearly as old as his or her classmates. Naturally these people are ghosts until test time.

do you know how much they are?
From what I remember when I bought mine last fall it was around 15$ for t-shirts. They have collared shirts which were a bit more but I can't remember how much.

i didnt get an offer from UTH or match there..... but when i interviewed there, it seemed like quite a few people got pulled off the waitlist last minute. can any med students tell me how many of their classmate were pulled from the waitlist last minute-ish?[/quote]

I am wondering the same thing since i didn't get picked up in the match anywhere, how much waitlist movement is there at UTH

anybody get their packet yet?

got my UTLink information.

is it too early to send in final transcripts?

Were you able to log on with the student ID and PIN they gave you?

you putting your PIN in with the right format?
I dunno, I copied/pasted the A number they gave me and just put in the PIN and it worked.

Yeah I copied and pasted too. Oh well I emailed them back saying it wasn't working so hopefully it gets resolved.

Did anyone else think that this part of the e-mail was funny...

"If you are confused, don’t worry, it might get better...."

Maybe I'll use that with my first standardized patient, "Don't worry, it might get better." j/k

Did anyone else think that this part of the e-mail was funny...

"If you are confused, don’t worry, it might get better...."

Maybe I'll use that with my first standardized patient, "Don't worry, it might get better." j/k
Haha Yeah, I wasn't too sure what they ment that by the "might get better" statement