UT-Houston School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my acceptance email last night. Houston is my top choice so it is good to have some closure to this whole application process fiasco. I look forward to meeting everyone in August.

Congrats on the acceptance! Congrats on the kiddo! Most importantly, congrats on one hell of a mustache! If I could grow one, rest assured I would be right there with you. Sam Elliot eat your heart out!

Members don't see this ad.

do we get to pick our tankmates or are we assigned?

They assign them, though I don't know if it's random or planned somehow. Funny side note, two of mine from last year are getting married next spring.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd actually expect that to be not that uncommon.

It's certainly not particularly common. Out of the roughly three people of the opposite gender at your tank, you only work with one or two on a regular basis, and even that's usually only 8-10 hours per week. Plus, a large percentage of students come to med school with a significant other: married or in a committed relationship of some kind. All things considered, there is relatively little romance among the students of our class, or at least that I am aware of. That's all fine by me, since I maintain (and recommend) a strong policy against dating friends, co-workers, and classmates.

:love::love: I know of two residents at UTH that met during their internship (same service). They are now married with a child. :love::love:

Last edited:
When it all comes down to it...

"I'm just a boy, standing in front of a girl, asking...:barf:."
"If you're a bird, I'm a b... :barf:."

Oops, sorry... can I get you a napkin?

To be honest, I'll probably end up hooking up with a fellow student or two.

When it all comes down to it...

"I'm just a boy, standing in front of a girl, asking...:barf:."
"If you're a bird, I'm a b... :barf:."

Oops, sorry... can I get you a napkin?

To be honest, I'll probably end up hooking up with a fellow student or two.
for your sake, I hope they're some of the better-looking ones.

I hope we have some kind of unlimited access to those pens they gave us at the interview.

Which ones? I must not have gotten one of those.

I did get one of the 4-color tech pens thought. Helped a lot studying for my ChemEng final last semester.

BTW I got off the UT housing waitlist yesterday. I originally asked for it for August but figured if I put an earlier move in date so I would have better chances. I asked for March and got a May move-in date. My friend put my name on the waitlist the morning the lease office started it.

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW I got off the UT housing waitlist yesterday. I originally asked for it for August but figured if I put an earlier move in date so I would have better chances. I asked for March and got a May move-in date. My friend put my name on the waitlist the morning the lease office started it.
so I should ask for an earlier move-in date to improve my chances of actually getting one?

how did yo make the change? call them?

so I should ask for an earlier move-in date to improve my chances of actually getting one?

how did yo make the change? call them?

I called them to change my move-in date. If it were me I would ask for an earlier one. Not trying to be negative but I was lucky to have a friend already waiting in line at 5am with my housting application the morning they started the waitlist and still had a 2 month delay on the move-in date I wanted. It would probably be wise to look into some plan B's if you didn't get your application in early.

I called them to change my move-in date. If it were me I would ask for an earlier one. Not trying to be negative but I was lucky to have a friend already waiting in line at 5am with my housting application the morning they started the waitlist and still had a 2 month delay on the move-in date I wanted. It would probably be wise to look into some plan B's if you didn't get your application in early.
my app was in a couple of days after they started taking them, but my move-in date was in August.

Hey guys
Does anyone know if it is a good idea to purchase UT Houston's insurance?? I tried accessing the "Auxiliary Enterprise Office" but the link does not work. Where can one find details of the insurance coverage? Thanks in advance....

Student insurance sucks. It will be included automatically in your first bill, and you have to sign a waiver to have it not included if you want to purchase other health insurance instead.

I was wondering if there are specific places/areas that students tend to live or future students are intending to live. thanks!

The most popular places for students are the Lanesborough and UT Housing (+ surrounding condos in what we call "Condo-land"). However, neither place is actually desirable for living, but you may like having your classmates nearby. The Lanesborough has problems with maintenance and pests, and the management at UT Housing is borderline fascist. I would also avoid The Greenbriar (where I currently live), as its new management is incompetent. Also of note, crime in the Reliant / Condo-land area is a significant problem. There has been gunfire at The Parkway condos, and cars get broken into on a regular basis. Although UT Police is right next to housing, 10 cars got broken into in the garage anyway.

The problem with living away from the light rail and the UT shuttle is parking. Some people solve this problem by parking at the Hermann Park Zoo for free. This is, incidentally, where some of the basic science faculty park to save money. Others who choose to live around Rice (there are some nice duplex units in that neighborhood) either bike or ride a Vespa to school. Thinking back, I wish I had lived over by Rice, midtown, or in the Montrose area instead. By 3rd year, everyone is scattered for rotations, and you'll have the option to purchase monthly parking passes for Hermann or MD Anderson anyway. Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me with more specific questions.

Which unit/complex did you apply for? One-bedroom or two?

I'm also hoping for a May move-in date and was in line ridiculously early.

Which unit/complex did you apply for? One-bedroom or two?

I'm also hoping for a May move-in date and was in line ridiculously early.

I applied for El Paseo unit #3 & 4 (Both one bedrooms) and Cambridge. I heard back from Cambridge a couple of months ago but declined it to hold out for El Paseo.

Ok, well first off, this thread needs a bump.

Second, I've talked with the parents and I've decided to go ahead and just buy a condo. Does anybody have a good recommendation for a realtor who knows TMC properties? NCP, I remember you said you were gonna buy... did you pull the trigger yet? If so who'd you use? Or if any of you current students know someone who purchased and could make a good recommendation, let me know.

Third, "I admit it, I am a Michael Bolton fan. I celebrate the guys entire collection." Name that movie.... no googling. Cheers to not having a career spent in a cubicle.

the background check takes like 5 minutes. all it asks for is a SSN, address, and if you've been convicted of any crimes other than traffic violations.

...unless I missed something. and it costs $38

the quote is from Office Space.

aside from the sched being super scary, halloween falls the weekend after block 2 exams!
this makes me feel so unprepared. I honestly have no idea how our classes are handled, how often we have tests, if we do PBL, etc.
of course I never really cared. I'll take an acceptance from anywhere and just live with whatever they throw at me.

this makes me feel so unprepared. I honestly have no idea how our classes are handled, how often we have tests, if we do PBL, etc.
of course I never really cared. I'll take an acceptance from anywhere and just live with whatever they throw at me.
That's a good approach! It's too early to worry about school...you'll have 4 years to worry about medical school so why lose sleep now? :) But to answer your questions...

For your fall semester of 1st year, you’ll have 3 sets, or blocks as we call them over here, of exams. The first one will be in Sep, then Oct, and in Dec. You will also have finals in December. In the spring, you guys will have 4 blocks + finals.

You won’t have PBL until 2nd year, however you will have group exercises in a class called Clinical Applications during 1st year but that class only meets every once in a while.

That's a good approach! It's too early to worry about school...you'll have 4 years to worry about medical school so why lose sleep now? :) But to answer your questions...

For your fall semester of 1st year, you’ll have 3 sets, or blocks as we call them over here, of exams. The first one will be in Sep, then Oct, and in Dec. You will also have finals in December. In the spring, you guys will have 4 blocks + finals.

You won’t have PBL until 2nd year, however you will have group exercises in a class called Clinical Applications during 1st year but that class only meets every once in a while.
sounds easy enough. are tests cumulative? I'd hope so..

Unfortunately, UTH is not the most tech-saavy school with regards to this stuff.

Sheesh! You weren't kidding! Trying to navigate the uth website is tough. There are too many redundancies. There are too many redundancies.

Thoughts, in no particular order:

-Drunk SDN posting is the best posting, and we could all learn a thing or two here from my anonymous classmate.
-Office Space quotes in a forum full of nerds? Next you'll try to stump us with Star Wars quotations.
-You'll have plenty of time to figure out your schedule the week before classes start. I would suggest not worrying about it until then.
-Here's the official academic calendar for this and next semester: linky. You may have to futz around to find your own; the year and class settings are top left, and the month scroller is just below the filter box. It also only really works well in IE if that's not what you usually use.

Hi all, I am still trying to get into UT-Houston.. I've written an update letter/letter of interest. Do you think I should address it to Dr. Kellaway or to the office of admissions?

thanks in advance

Hi all, I am still trying to get into UT-Houston.. I've written an update letter/letter of interest. Do you think I should address it to Dr. Kellaway or to the office of admissions?

thanks in advance

Have you tried calling her? She's very personable. There are some stories on sdn about her giving really good advice specific to each applicant who is willing to reach out to her.

Anybody hear of any news on financial aid?

I sent my app in a couple months ago and never heard if they even received it.
Ya same here so I called them today and they said I had everything (supplemental application and online fafsa). They said they will send something out at the end of the month.

Ya same here so I called them today and they said I had everything (supplemental application and online fafsa). They said they will send something out at the end of the month.
what number did you call?

and you changed your housing move-in date as well, didn't you? I just called and they said I had to fax them info to get it changed.

what number did you call?

and you changed your housing move-in date as well, didn't you? I just called and they said I had to fax them info to get it changed.

713-500-3860

Ya I changed it but I'm pretty I didn't fax it. I think I had to email them the preferences and move-in date.

Ok, I'm a little bit lost. Where did you find the supplemental application? I don't think I've even heard of it.

well, I just learned that I need a special long-distance code to send faxes from work, which means that the scholarship application I sent in a couple months ago was never actually sent...