sleepdeprived

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
anyone know if they give preferance to their own and does an away rotation there help?

D

dave262

They prefer people who can spell.
No, since the staff turnover is high right now, no one will remember you if you do an away there. If you're applying next year then yes, an away would help.

bigwillmd

RedBalls gives you wings!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
dave262 said:
No, since the staff turnover is high right now, no one will remember you if you do an away there. If youre applying next year then yes, an away would help.
What's the deal with the faculty turnover? Please elaborate if you can, Thanks.

cloud9

King of my realm
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Northeastern South Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
dave262 said:
No, since the staff turnover is high right now, no one will remember you if you do an away there. If youre applying next year then yes, an away would help.
"youre". Oops, ;)

D

dave262

bigwillmd said:
We only received accreditation for 2 years, which is a polite way of saying "get your act together or 2 years from now you'll be on probation or lose it."

Old chair, Dr. Katz was removed, new chair, Dr. Arens has come in and fired a lot of people without warning. Other faculty have left because they were angry about how Dr. Arens went about cleaning house. Since many of the folks working right now are about to leave, many of those you rotate with will not be on admissions. Also, pain program was closed down after being found 2 million $$ in the red, so all pain training must take place elsewhere.

Lots of reasons why UT-houston is in flux.

cloud9

King of my realm
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Northeastern South Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
bigwillmd said:
The former chair was promoted and Hermann and UT couldn't agree on a chair that made both happy, so an interim chair was brought in. There were a number of issues dealing with finances that have had to be addressed (and the result is not pleasing to all) as well as the fact that some of the faculty had a strong relationship with the former chair and are not as pleased with their relationship with the current chair. Also, some of the faculty desired the chair position and Hermann said nope. These faculty are applying for chair positions elsewhere and some are just moving on to private practice for a change.

Basically just the changes that accompany a change in the chair of a department. What is really unfortunate is that the chair is an interim chair so there are questions of how stable the department will be when a new chair is brought in. Will the current shifting-around repeat itself then as well?

cloud9

King of my realm
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Northeastern South Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
dave262 said:
We only received accreditation for 2 years, which is a polite way of saying "get your act together or 2 years from now you'll be on probation or lose it."

Old chair, Dr. Katz was removed, new chair, Dr. Arens has come in and fired a lot of people without warning. Other faculty have left because they were angry about how Dr. Arens went about cleaning house. Since many of the folks working right now are about to leave, many of those you rotate with will not be on admissions. Also, pain program was closed down after being found 2 million $$ in the red, so all pain training must take place elsewhere.

Lots of reasons why UT-houston is in flux.
Hadn't heard about the 2 year accreditation. I thought I had asked Luehr about the accreditation status (because of the money probs/pain clinic) but maybe I didn't.

D

dave262

cloud9 said:
Hadn't heard about the 2 year accreditation. I thought I had asked Luehr about the accreditation status (because of the money probs/pain clinic) but maybe I didn't.
Do I know you cloud9? I must...

OP
S

sleepdeprived

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
dave262 said:
No, since the staff turnover is high right now, no one will remember you if you do an away there. If you're applying next year then yes, an away would help.
Well I am not here to win the spelling bee :rolleyes: besides my question was about preferEnce to students of UTHouston. As far as ACGME is concerned it looks like UT-H has a three year accreditation due Nov. 2006.