UT Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A. Fugax

Globetrotting
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to get some info. regarding the strength of this program. Recently I've been hearing some things that are potentially worrisome. Specifically, that many of the faculty are not board certified and that very little intraop teaching takes place. Also, does anyone know if CRNAs exist there? As of a couple years ago they did not, and it was felt that this placed an additional burden on the residents, lacking the flexibility to get them out of more routine cases.

Most of this is hearsay, so if anyone that has any affiliation to this program could chime in it'd be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Ut houston is a good place and the rumor mill is that there might be a merger..
No crna's at ut houston.. Lots of residents... most attendings are chill... The pd rocks.. Funny man..... truly cares about residents..... Has some good stories, but most baylor residents are talking about the merger... Will basically take over texas medical center and if u can find a difficult case in the med center I dont know where u will find it. top hospitals for both programs if merger goes through. TCh, herman, texas heart, methodist, md anderson, va, ben taub, LBJ.... the list goes on and on

nappy

I would hope for the sake of the UT-Houston residents that this does not happen. They probably have the coolest residents and faculty in the country with superb clinical training. I came away with a strong sense of malignancy and mostly unhappy residents at Baylor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.

The program's staff unintentionally gave applicants some info yesterday in a mass email sent to their candidates. In it they specifically mentioned that they are understaffed, have only 2 people to take care of the applicants, as well as approximately 200 residents on a daily basis.

That can't be a good signal to send to potential future residents. I'd sure be pissed if I were in charge over there.