UT Southwestern vs. Mayo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdperson18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time posting here. I am trying to decide between UT Southwestern and Mayo School of Medicine.
I am a Dallas resident (home 20 miles from UT Southwestern) and am interested in neuro/neurosurgical specialty as well as research.

UTSW
PROS:
Closer to home
In-State Tuition - $18,500
Awesome research ranking
CONS:
???

Mayo
PROS:
Great Research Facility
CONS:
Tuition - $49,900 (money is not a problem)
Not affiliated with a university

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats! Since both are top tier schools, I would go with the cheaper option UTSW even if money is not a problem. At UTSW, I think you would have no trouble adjusting and would have many support networks closeby. I can't see a pro that Mayo has significantly over UTSW.

Reactions: 1 user
N=1. If you decide to attend UTSW, let them know that you have an offer from Mayo to bargain for scholarship money. I am aware of a prior applicant who got offers from Baylor and Mayo. He let Baylor know about Mayo's offer and Baylor found $$ to give him a full scholarship, which he accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
N=1. If you decide to attend UTSW, let them know that you have an offer from Mayo to bargain for scholarship money. I am aware of a prior applicant who got offers from Baylor and Mayo. He let Baylor know about Mayo's offer and Baylor found $$ to give him a full scholarship, which he accepted.
OP doesn't have an offer from Mayo though

@mdperson18 if money isn't a problem, I would honestly go with Mayo (if you are referring to the MN campus)

Tell Mayo you got into UTSW, and it is significantly cheaper. Up until only a few years ago, every Mayo student got a full ride. They definitely have the funds, so ask for it. If they match you, then go back to UTSW and ask for money. Go to whichever ends up being cheapest. They're both amazing.

Dallas is a significantly better city, has much better weather, and is closer to home... so, there's that, too.

I would seriously consider the weather at this point. Have you lived up north for an extended time? You might find it a bit more difficult to adjust to (especially the lack of sunlight) than you predict. If both things are equal, I would choose the school in the warmer location (I realize Dallas doesn't have the world's greatest weather, but it's not nearly as bad as Rochester, MN). Great options, btw - you really can't go wrong. Have you considered any dual degrees? That is one thing that might be more accessible at UTSW than at Mayo.