UTAH Acceptance?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you serious? This really happened? At the U? Wow. . . how horrible.:(

I never heard anything about it and have my doubts. If it happened a week into classes, I'm sure somebody would have mentioned it in class or something since we have nearly every class with the dental students.

Members don't see this ad.

Do any of you current students know how many in your class came from the alternate list?

I know of at least 3, butI assume there has to be a lot more than this according to the previous stats given. It's probably something that most people don't want to let everybody know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of at least 3, butI assume there has to be a lot more than this according to the previous stats given. It's probably something that most people don't want to let everybody know.

If they let me in, they can tatoo it on my forehead for all i care... just get me off of it!!!!

Who's going to the freshman information session on May 9th? If you don't know what I'm talking about, check the website again.

Who's going to the freshman information session on May 9th? If you don't know what I'm talking about, check the website again.

I am! Does anyone know anything besides that? When the first day of school is? White coat ceremony? Anything else like that?

I definitely can't :( I'll be right in the middle of finals. But I know orientation starts on aug 18 and white coat is on aug 22. Classes start aug 25.

I definitely can't :( I'll be right in the middle of finals. But I know orientation starts on aug 18 and white coat is on aug 22. Classes start aug 25.

Cool. Where did you get all that info? All I have is the information session on may 9th...

>>>

Last edited:
>>>

Last edited:
Maybe you should do some asking around before you make such assumptions. It is true. It was all everyone was talking about for about.....Ummm, ten minutes or so.?.? The student was one of the pilots who died in the National Guard apache helicopter crash on August 20th. (interesting, that was the first week of school..) Also, his name was Clayton Barnes.

Read it yourself: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1688435

At the bottom of the page it talks about how he was heading to nebraska for Dental School. Anyone who knows the RDEP (UofU dental program) knows that they do their 1st year here and then they go to Crieghton University (Omaha, NEBRASKA) to finish.

Convinced?

sCoOtDoC

Okay, convinced enough. Though your first post made it sound as if he died a week into classes, instead of the day before even orientation started on the 21st. It makes more sense now why I hadn't heard about it. It was more dramatic though to say he died and his replacement came to the U a week into classes even though that didn't happen.

I asked the ladies at the admissions office for all those dates

Members don't see this ad :)
>>>

Last edited:
Do you know which one I'm talking about? Glasses, short, pudgie, pigeon toed, beer bellied (possibly kwasiokor), goe-t that looks as thow he hasn't shaved it in years (but he thinks it's so cool), and dumber than a box of rocks (IQ~76). In short he looks like the product of a consanquineous mating of two hobbits, looks Prader-Willi, but acts like an Angelman's, FragileX mix with a hint of Klinefelter features (i.e. Gynecomastia).

Does that ring a bell?:smuggrin:

Wow, that may go down as THE best description of a person I've ever heard. I'll be laughing about that for a while! Though you painted an incredible picture of this person in my mind, I have to say that it doesn't ring a bell. I remember one of them with glasses that always carried around a small briefcase or book bag, is that him? (though he didn't have a goatee, and he seemed like a nice guy)

wow! i'm glad you are such a great representative of the u's med school. :rolleyes: talking so much **** about your classmates...

can't wait to graduate and get the hell out of here

wow! i'm glad you are such a great representative of the u's med school. :rolleyes: talking so much **** about your classmates...

can't wait to graduate and get the hell out of here

has it been THAT bad?

Last edited:
Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!

If you have absolutely no problems with any classmates then go ahead and cast the first stone. Otherwise, bye:p

Plus, this person is a dental student...hardly a classmate. We haven't had a class with them since first block.

No, it is not bad. Our class (Med students) actually are a pretty tight nit group. Some upperclassman are pretty stuffy though. As you can tell....

Good one ScootDoc. I received my acceptance one week ago (letter dated March 26). I thought it was interesting that I had received an email to submit financial aid information at least a month before I received the acceptance. A friend didn't ever get an email and later received a letter declining his acceptance. Did the give me a hint to a future acceptance or do they email both whom they accept as well as others they will have to deny?
I will accept at the U and I am very excited to attend at this university. Look forward to joining you ScootDoc!

Good one ScootDoc. I received my acceptance one week ago (letter dated March 26). I thought it was interesting that I had received an email to submit financial aid information at least a month before I received the acceptance. A friend didn't ever get an email and later received a letter declining his acceptance. Did the give me a hint to a future acceptance or do they email both whom they accept as well as others they will have to deny?
I will accept at the U and I am very excited to attend at this university. Look forward to joining you ScootDoc!

You won't be disappointed my friend! I have loved every minute of it! See you in the fall.

sCoOtDoC

hey guys, I was put on the alternate list early April and wasn't taken off until early June. Hang in there.

At my interview, they said last year 132 people were accepted to fill the 102 spots. They imagine it will about be the same this year. They did mention they pull from the waitlist according to your residency status, so if a Utah student drops, they will fill it in with a Utah student, if an Idahoan drops, an Idahoan will fill the spot, etc.

all i was saying scoot was that it is pretty poor form to talk that much specific (i.e., very identifiable) **** about someone at your school.

that being said, i've loved every minute of med school. made some of the best friends of my life. and the u is a great place - i have never skied so much in my life 90+ days this year alone! i have just reached the point where i am DONE with salt lake. did ugrad here, etc etc so i am so ready to leave...

anyway, if anyone has questions about the clinical years and so on, let me know. oh, btw, all the med students that served on the adcom checked this forum regularly... fun to see how much disinformation is out there - ha

:D
all i was saying scoot was that it is pretty poor form to talk that much specific (i.e., very identifiable) **** about someone at your school.

that being said, i've loved every minute of med school. made some of the best friends of my life. and the u is a great place - i have never skied so much in my life 90+ days this year alone! i have just reached the point where i am DONE with salt lake. did ugrad here, etc etc so i am so ready to leave...

anyway, if anyone has questions about the clinical years and so on, let me know. oh, btw, all the med students that served on the adcom checked this forum regularly... fun to see how much disinformation is out there - ha

And yet you didn't speak up and set the record straight, huh?

I'd do the same. :D

i couldn't speak up... not that i didn't want to at times.

i remember the utter anxiety that applying to med school was. and i just went through the match process myself - a whole other level of anxiety producing madness...

the med students that served on the adcom checked this forum regularly... fun to see how much disinformation is out there - ha

What do you mean? And is disinformation a word?

Well, I stand corrected, it is a word. I don't know why I even mentioned that because what I'm really curious about is in what way are applicants being misleading. Are you saying that applicants present themselves in one light during their interviews with 4th years, but are very different on SDN? I apologize and hope you can give us some insight into your earlier comment.

Well, I stand corrected, it is a word. I don't know why I even mentioned that because what I'm really curious about is in what way are applicants being misleading. Are you saying that applicants present themselves in one light during their interviews with 4th years, but are very different on SDN? I apologize and hope you can give us some insight into your earlier comment.

I think what he's saying isn't that we are misleading as people (although our online persona is probably different from our real world one- I know mine is), but rather the information that we as applicants give about the process as a whole is misinformed and inaccurate. Of course, when japhy when through school, it was no doubt much of the same (I know that even in UG, there were a lot of the same assumptions based off of what 4th year students and Dr. Samuelson had to say during talks). The process just isn't clear, and so there are a lot of places to make assumptions or guesses based off of what we do know.

We'll see if he'll be kind enough to set some of these assumptions straight though, or if he'll just torment everyone by saying how screwed up we all are then remain silent.

...bump

Has anyone heard about any waitlist movement? Doesn't everyone accepted have two weeks to tell the U if they plan on going? I would think that most would have told Dr. S and crew by now and that people on the waitlist would start hearing. Any ideas?

has anyone received their financial aid package yet? i got an email telling me to check it online. does anyone know if they've started awarding grants/scholarships as well as loans?

I know this has been brought up on other threads, but I can't search because I'm using my phone. Does anyone know where I can find match lists from the past few years for Utah?

Would anyone from Idaho who was accepted (or even not accepted) post their stats so we can know what Utah is looking for? Any other Idaho advice?

has anyone received their financial aid package yet? i got an email telling me to check it online. does anyone know if they've started awarding grants/scholarships as well as loans?

Yeah, I got that email too a few days ago. As far as I know, it's only governmental loans so far. The deadline for applying for scholarships was April 15th, so we probably won't hear about those for a few more days/weeks.

Anyone hear about people moving off of the waitlist? Or will they not start pulling people until after May 15th?

I heard somewhere that 60% of the total class are re-applicants. Is that correct? Or is it that 60% who were waitlisted the previous year are accepted the following year?

I haven't heard a word. I actually had the English department call and inquire about my spot because my fiance needs to let them know whether or not he will be taking his spot in the Ph.D. program. They wouldn't tell him anything other than I might not hear until August 15th.

Ya, and the worst part is, it's his only acceptance... so my 4 acceptances don't matter :( . . . I really hope to hear something come May 15th. But, then again, I'm OOS, so I should probably just quit now.

Man! That would be hard! Has Utah ever explained why they don't reveal your position on the list or how big the list is? What would it hurt?

Hey guys,
Just to give everyone some hope. I got the alternate letter a few weeks ago and today I got a letter dated the 24 April informing me I was just accepted to the U! YES!!!!! Hope there's a lot more good news coming to some more people. Good Luck!!

:love:

I'm IS and I will be attending. I called the office and they said the letters went out yesterday (thursday) so I don't know how long shipping to takes to other places, but I got it a day later. Yes, she did say LETTERS. Didn't ask how many, didn't think about it. Sorry, but good luck!

I ran into some stats from school you might find interesting
2007 Admission Stats

Our Match Lists are here: http://umed.med.utah.edu/residency/

2008 U of Match Results
Anesthesia 12
Emergency Medicine 8
Family Medicine 14
General Surgery 1
General Surgery (P) 5
Internal Medicine 14
Internal Medicine (P) 5
Med-Peds 2
Neurology 2
OB/GYN 7
Ophthalmology 2
Orthopedic Surgery 3
Pathology 3
Pediatrics 4
Plastic Surgery 1
PM&R 4
Psychiatry 3
Radiation Oncology 1
Radiology 2
Transitional 9

Got in off the waitlist! Found out on Friday. Yes there is an extra link on my admissions page but it didn't show up until yesterday.

I just found out that I was accepted off the waitlist to Utah. Ugh, I wish this acceptance had come sooner. This was one of my favorite programs (with the best skiing) and ridiculous opportunities. However, I do not think I am willing to take the additional class they required or decline some generous scholarships from other places and my wife is set on going to another place. If I withdraw, this withdrawal would probably hurt more than the USF one :(:(:(.
This will be tough. BTW, I am OOS and the rest of the story is on mdapps.
Check the website guys, otherwise I would have never found out.