UTAH Acceptance?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They have the class schedule on a secure sight so I can't post a link for it. If I remember right, after filling out your acceptance packet, you should be able to access the class schedule. We start in the third week of August (for a week of orientation) then go until the first week in June. Spring Break for us this year was March 24-28. Same as undergrad, no school on holidays, and they usually give us the day before a test off to study. Hope that helps.

Also, in block 1, you are usually in class from 8 or 9am until noon, with 2-3 afternoon classes during the week. In the first block, these are usually anatomy lab dissections, but you also have Social Medicine, Physical Diagnosis, or just additional lectures. Block 2 is 9am to noon usually, and Block 3 is 8am to noon nearly every day.

Do you use your student ID/password to login to the website? I've been trying various combinations of that for 3 months now, but it won't let me in. Thanks for the info though, seems like I'll actually have more free time studying than I did in Undergrad amazingly enough.

As an aside, I created a facebook group at the request of someone, so come join up!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats all! I'm way too excited to finally have some more classmates! For those who will be in Utah over the summer, we should definitely get together for a BBQ or something. BYOB(everages) ;).

Hey, this is my first time posting, but I've been reading for a while. I just got my acceptance letter yesterday! It was dated the 26th, so I guess he actually was signing letters that day! At least mine. . .
Anyway, yeah, we should definitely get together over the summer! I'm in Cedar City, but I'll be moving up to Salt Lake in the next few months. Oh, and I interviewed in January. Anyway, good to meet you all and thanks for all the info! I should've joined earlier. . . :rolleyes:

Hey, this is my first time posting, but I've been reading for a while. I just got my acceptance letter yesterday! It was dated the 26th, so I guess he actually was signing letters that day! At least mine. . .
Anyway, yeah, we should definitely get together over the summer! I'm in Cedar City, but I'll be moving up to Salt Lake in the next few months. Oh, and I interviewed in January. Anyway, good to meet you all and thanks for all the info! I should've joined earlier. . . :rolleyes:

Congrats! And I'll be moving back to Utah in may/june, so I'll have to throw something together then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! And I'll be moving back to Utah in may/june, so I'll have to throw something together then.

It seems as though for everyone who's received a letter, it has been waitlist or acceptance.. is this true? I wonder if the rejections aren't sent out until this coming week/soon. :confused:

Although it doesn't appear that I'll be going to the U, can you give any advice for living arrangements. I'll be looking for married housing, but wasn't sure how avaliable/what quality the student housing was. If unavaliable, where's the next best place to look?

Thanks

Also, how is timing for tests? Are there usually individuals who are struggling to finish? Do they enforce timing restrictions, or is it pretty relaxed?

I'm not married, so I don't know a whole lot about married housing, but here's what I know: To get into the med towers (right behind the med school), I hear there's a year waiting list. I think there's only one student in the class who lives in these towers with his family. A few other students live in married on-campus housing that's a couple blocks away, and they seem to like it. I'm not exactly sure on prices, but it seems like it's around $675 a month, but there are a variety of different sizes, styles, etc. Almost everybody in the class live off-campus and rents.

As for the test timing, you usually have 2-3 hours per test. So far this has been plenty of time for every test except one biochem test. Everybody was rushed on it, but the professors added 10% to our grades to make up for the difficulty. I'm usually one of the last ones out of the tests, and there's usually a few stragglers, but I wouldn't say they are struggling, but more just going for the 100%. I think they're pretty strict with the 2-hour time limit.

Do you use your student ID/password to login to the website? I've been trying various combinations of that for 3 months now, but it won't let me in. Thanks for the info though, seems like I'll actually have more free time studying than I did in Undergrad amazingly enough.

Ahh, one of the complaints I have about the U so far is that it seems like you need a different password and ID for each website. It gets frustrating. To access the calendar though you use your student ID password without the u in front. So something like 00738295, then the password should just be the one you set up. If that doesn't work, it might be that you aren't in the system yet. You could email the tech people to see if they can help.

I'm not married, so I don't know a whole lot about married housing, but here's what I know: To get into the med towers (right behind the med school), I hear there's a year waiting list. I think there's only one student in the class who lives in these towers with his family. A few other students live in married on-campus housing that's a couple blocks away, and they seem to like it. I'm not exactly sure on prices, but it seems like it's around $675 a month, but there are a variety of different sizes, styles, etc. Almost everybody in the class live off-campus and rents.

As for the test timing, you usually have 2-3 hours per test. So far this has been plenty of time for every test except one biochem test. Everybody was rushed on it, but the professors added 10% to our grades to make up for the difficulty. I'm usually one of the last ones out of the tests, and there's usually a few stragglers, but I wouldn't say they are struggling, but more just going for the 100%. I think they're pretty strict with the 2-hour time limit.

Thanks for taking the time. That helps a bunch!! Hopefully I get to put that info to good use!!

It seems as though for everyone who's received a letter, it has been waitlist or acceptance.. is this true? I wonder if the rejections aren't sent out until this coming week/soon. :confused:

My buddy who lives in Salt Lake received a rejection on Saturday.

Yeah, I've had a couple of friends, both in and OOS that have received rejections.

Yeah, I've had a couple of friends, both in and OOS that have received rejections.

Thanks.

EDIT: I contacted the admis. office, and asked if they could tell me if a decision has been reached on my file. She not only told me it had, but what date they sent my letter on.. so if anyone's curious, you can call. She also informed me that there are not status changes on the webpage if you've been rejected (if anyone was curious). Take the last part with a grain of salt though, because she tried informing me that the acceptance info wouldnt go on your webpage unless you'd already sent in your deposit for the class. This, obviously isn't true because some had that update to their pages before they even received the real letter. Anyway, hopefully that helps others stressing out as much as me (even though I think this is bad news for me because I don't have an update on my webpage)

Just called, she said all of the letters were sent on Friday (acceptances, waitlists, rejections). I live in Utah, so I'm not sure why I didn't get it on Saturday. Either way, my page status has not changed: So either it's a rejection or waitlist. Can't say I'm not dissapointed, but I need to move on now. Good luck everyone that has not heard.

Just called, she said all of the letters were sent on Friday (acceptances, waitlists, rejections). I live in Utah, so I'm not sure why I didn't get it on Saturday. Either way, my page status has not changed: So either it's a rejection or waitlist. Can't say I'm not dissapointed, but I need to move on now. Good luck everyone that has not heard.

This would contradict the thought that they have a meeting today, wouldnt it?

Well that's a spot on the alternate list for me as well. Just got the letter today. Best of luck to everyone. Thanks to all those who took the time to post.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if I'm going to stay on the list, just because my fiance and I really need to figure out where we're going so he can find a job. BOOOOOOOOOO...

I live in Provo, so I thought the letter would get here today, but the mail came and still nothing.

I live in Provo, so I thought the letter would get here today, but the mail came and still nothing.

I live in Riverton, and nothing today as well. I called them to see if they sent something, and they said they did. She can't tell anyone their status however, so I guess I'll just have to wait till tomorrow.

Well I hope the meeting with Dr. Samuelson in June (his soonest appointment) will help me prepare if I decide to apply again this year, oh wait, applications are to be turned in in June, ah shiznit. Should I go to DO school or re-apply this year and wait a whole other year? That's a question I now have to think long and hard about. Good luck to all those starting at Utah this Aug. and I wish even better luck to those who won't be going (we need luck more). Peace!

I was in a lunch with Dean Samuelson today and he said that he finished signing all of the letters just early this morning, so there are a bunch still in the mail. It's highly possible that the status doesn't change on the web page until the day they actually send your letter, maybe the end of the day. Who knows, I guess. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it. He also said that they only accept 102 applicants (they don't try to compensate for those who will withdraw like most schools) and so I imagine that the waitlist will be very active.

I was in a lunch with Dean Samuelson today and he said that he finished signing all of the letters just early this morning, so there are a bunch still in the mail. It's highly possible that the status doesn't change on the web page until the day they actually send your letter, maybe the end of the day. Who knows, I guess. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it. He also said that they only accept 102 applicants (they don't try to compensate for those who will withdraw like most schools) and so I imagine that the waitlist will be very active.

Anyone besides brandpeg and I that live in Utah and have not received anything yet? My status page has not changed to include anything, so I'm still waiting.

I live in Utah and still have not received anything. I think the whole process is a joke. I mean, they only have 102 seats to fill up compared some other medical schools who have double that many. Couldn't they expidite the process. Pretty rediculous

He also said that they only accept 102 applicants (they don't try to compensate for those who will withdraw like most schools) and so I imagine that the waitlist will be very active.

I'm kind of new to all of this. By "active" do you think that there will be more added to the list? Does anyone know the trends from previous years?

Here's what I heard:

It was extremely competitive this year due to the fact that there was an increase in the applicant pool. A lot of the people that were accepted also received acceptances at other schools. It has been estimated that up to a third of the original 102 could bail somewhere else.

There's still hope!

I received a spot on the alternate list. So did two kids from my school. What was meant by only accepting 102 people? Aren't 125 accepted?

Here's what I heard:

It was extremely competitive this year due to the fact that there was an increase in the applicant pool. A lot of the people that were accepted also received acceptances at other schools. It has been estimated that up to a third of the original 102 will bail somewhere else.

There's still hope!
where did you here that Die Wahrheit?

I received a spot on the alternate list. So did two kids from my school. What was meant by only accepting 102 people? Aren't 125 accepted?

I'd imagine how many are ACCEPTED varies from year to year depending on how many choose to matriculate to the U. However, the final class size is 102 and consists of 75 in-state and 27 out of state, with 8 of the 27 coming from the state of Idaho.

EDIT: Just Received my OOS alternate list letter. I wish they would be more forthright about how many are on the alternate list/what our position is on said list. They just keep you in the dark for longer and longer. And for someone like me, it's pretty tough because I'll have to move accross the country.

On another note, does anyone have any history with or knowledge of sending letters of interest?

I'm kind of new to all of this. By "active" do you think that there will be more added to the list? Does anyone know the trends from previous years?

By active I just meant that there is a good chance that people on the alternate list will end up with acceptances.

The class size is 102. They only sent out that many acceptances. Maybe the 125 means that last year they accepted 23 people off the wait list??

By active I just meant that there is a good chance that people on the alternate list will end up with acceptances.

The class size is 102. They only sent out that many acceptances. Maybe the 125 means that last year they accepted 23 people off the wait list??

According to U.S. News and World Report, the numbers broke down like this:

Total: Applied - 1074, Inter - 442, Accepted - 138, Enrolled - 102

In-state: Applied - 424, Inter - 281, Accepted - 93, Enrolled - 75
OOS: Applied - 650, Inter - 161, Accepted - 45, Enrolled - 27

According the the latest MSAR, the numbers broke down like this:

Total: Applied - 1169, Inter - 473, Enrolled - 102

IS: Applied - 419, Inter - 310, Enrolled - 75 (with 1 deferral)
OOS: Applied - 727, Inter - 163, Enrolled - 27

Naturally, with my luck, this tell me nothing because I have no idea if they put everyone on the waitlist, or noone on the waitlist!!!! UGH!!!! :scared::eek::scared::mad::rolleyes::oops::(

On another note, does anyone have any history with or knowledge of sending letters of interest?

Yes. and Yes. PM me if you are interested. Not sure if will help you much at Utah though...at least they didn't make it sound like it would help. Unless of course you discovered a new element and wanted to name it after the state or something, or had just donated a large sum of money to the school for a new dept...from the numbers you posted, it seems like a pretty good number of those accepted end up attending the school.

Where did you hear 125? Is that how many acceptances they send out? (In other words, are the extra 23 spots different from being on the waitlist?

Where did you hear 125? Is that how many acceptances they send out? (In other words, are the extra 23 spots different from being on the waitlist?

The total number of spots depends entirely on how many people choose not to go to Utah. Initially, like someone else mentioned, they only give out 102 acceptances. After someone decided not to attend, then the move someone else off of the waitlist.

Rejected. Despite this nasty kick in the jewels, I'm going to move on and make them wish they accepted me. Good luck to everyone else on the waitlist. I'll be attending another school this fall.

The total number of spots depends entirely on how many people choose not to go to Utah. Initially, like someone else mentioned, they only give out 102 acceptances. After someone decided not to attend, then the move someone else off of the waitlist.

That's what I originally thought as well-but I have also heard of schools that initially send out more acceptances than they have spots. They know statistically that there are going to be quite a few that will go elsewhere, and so they safely can accept more than they actually have room for. The waitlist is different from this original group, and serves as a resource in case there are more that they need to draw from. (Which obviously would happen to a least the first few on the list.)

Does that sound right?

EDIT-
This kind of goes along with what I am thinking:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-69403.html

Rejected. Despite this nasty kick in the jewels, I'm going to move on and make them wish they accepted me. Good luck to everyone else on the waitlist. I'll be attending another school this fall.

I am still feeling that post-groin shot bout of nausea from the rejection Utah sent me but I'm with you on moving on and making the best of what we got, hey we're still going to be docs.

Still nothing in the mail! I live in Provo, how long can a letter take to get here?

That's what I originally thought as well-but I have also heard of schools that initially send out more acceptances than they have spots. They know statistically that there are going to be quite a few that will go elsewhere, and so they safely can accept more than they actually have room for. The waitlist is different from this original group, and serves as a resource in case there are more that they need to draw from. (Which obviously would happen to a least the first few on the list.)

Does that sound right?

EDIT-
This kind of goes along with what I am thinking:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-69403.html

A lot of schools do that, but the U doesn't. That's what Samuelson told us, they only accept exactly 102. That's why I was saying that the waitlist at the U will likely be more active than at another school that over-accepts in order to compensate for applicants who will withdraw.

I am still feeling that post-groin shot bout of nausea from the rejection Utah sent me but I'm with you on moving on and making the best of what we got, hey we're still going to be docs.

Did you decide to go DO then?

That's the attitude. :luck: This happened to me with college, and although I want to send the school that denied me (Carleton) my letter of acceptance to med school, I'm going to hold back. It's nice to have that extra bit of motivation... good luck

Did you decide to go DO then?

Most likely. I'd hate to apply again and not get into the U and possibly not any other MD schools. I want to stay in Utah and close to family and when I talk with Dr. Samuelson if he feels my chances of acceptance for 2009 are stellar then I might consider reapplying but otherwise its off to school this Aug.

Most likely. I'd hate to apply again and not get into the U and possibly not any other MD schools. I want to stay in Utah and close to family and when I talk with Dr. Samuelson if he feels my chances of acceptance for 2009 are stellar then I might consider reapplying but otherwise its off to school this Aug.

For what it's worth, I think that's the right decision!

Sorry for confusing everyone with the 125. I think you guys are right. One year they must have accepted 23 off the waitlist. I heard the U has a very small wait list (~30 people), so hopefully all you alternates make it.

Sorry for confusing everyone with the 125. I think you guys are right. One year they must have accepted 23 off the waitlist. I heard the U has a very small wait list (~30 people), so hopefully all you alternates make it.

Source? Where did you get this info? Hopefully it's true..

What Samuelson said to us was that he looked for the first statistical break below the cut-off line and those above that were the alternates. But he didn't say how many. I was also curious where you got that number. If that's all there are on the list, then I bet most of you get in! :D

What Samuelson said to us was that he looked for the first statistical break below the cut-off line and those above that were the alternates. But he didn't say how many. I was also curious where you got that number. If that's all there are on the list, then I bet most of you get in! :D

I wonder what the OOS alternate list is like. I'm going to have several ulcers after this. After waiting 5-6 months since interviewing, I expected to hear some news... instead, it was a friendly reminder that they can make me wait longer.

And.... a friendly paragraph telling us that we shouldn't bother them because they weren't going to give up any info.

Statistical break in the applicants' scores? Or trend in the number accepted from off of the waitlist in previous years?

Statistical break in the applicants' scores? Or trend in the number accepted from off of the waitlist in previous years?

From what he said, they looked for the first statistical break below the acceptance line and that was the cut off for the alternate list. It didn't sound like it had anything to do with previous years.

Last edited:
Oh I see... I think. They took the top 102 applicants (those with the highest overall scores), and then took a group after them that had statistically similar scores.... Right? (Sorry for being slow to comprehend in advance. :oops:)

Yeah, I think so. To be honest, it wasn't all that clear to me the way he explained it either! :rolleyes: The way he said it was that if you were on the alternate list then there was quite a risk that you'd end up at the school and so they have to make sure you were at least close to the cut-off line for acceptance. My guess is they probably just go a standard deviation at a time until they feel like they have enough people to be safe from the possibility of starting a seat short. Just my guess, who knows what it is they actually do!!

>>>

Last edited:
>>?

Last edited:
They also use the alternate list to fill positions even a week into class....for example, one unlucky dental student died a week into class this year, and one very lucky student (who happens to be a complete tool...) was called up from the ranks a day later. So, for the sake of those on the alternate list hopefully someone throws a post op embolism and dies due to a CVA causing liquifactive necrosis of the pareital and temporal lobes and dies.........Med school humor......I've been studying way too much pathology....time to switch it up --> immunology, yeehaw:rolleyes:

Are you serious? This really happened? At the U? Wow. . . how horrible.:(