Utah DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Strip mall? Try industrial zone warehouse style buildings that are BEHIND the Sams club.

I'd never heard of half the cities that most DO schools are in. Pikeville, Kirksville, Yakima, Vallejo, etc. etc.?

Provo/Orem has more college students than most DO school cities have residents as well as 500k+ residents in Utah county. PLUS, enough babies coming out to provide enough OB rotations for the entire medical education community.

This!!! If anyone at a national level knew Utah County's demographics the way locals do, you could train a 100 OB residents a year there! I can't believe there's no OB residency there.

Members don't see this ad.

This!!! If anyone at a national level knew Utah County's demographics the way locals do, you could train a 100 OB residents a year there! I can't believe there's no OB residency there.

True that! +1 :thumbup:

This is what that posted press release by LECOM really says:

"Here at LECOM we have so rapidly expanded our campuses in ****ty locations with 50k populations and no real hospital system that we now have to farm out our 3rd years to crappy clinical roations across the united states in semi-rural areas that other medical schools havent poached on yet.

To that end, we have decided to form a relationship with Rocky Mountain Nobody Ever Heard of Us College, which has a smashing building consisting of 2 strip malls in a city that nobody outside of Utah has ever heard of. These 2 strip mall sites will serve as high quality clinical instruction sites where our 3rd year students from Pennsylvania and Florida can learn about cutting edge clinical medicine from burned out has-been 75 year old DOs who havent practiced medicine in a decade.

The future of medicine is at LECOM - Rocky Mountain Nobody Ever Heard of Us College! Apply today! Tuition starts at a low 60k per year!"

Lol needed a good laugh while studying for step 2, thanks for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Strip mall? Try industrial zone warehouse style buildings that are BEHIND the Sams club.

I'd never heard of half the cities that most DO schools are in. Pikeville, Kirksville, Yakima, Vallejo, etc. etc.?

Provo/Orem has more college students than most DO school cities have residents as well as 500k+ residents in Utah county. PLUS, enough babies coming out to provide enough OB rotations for the entire medical education community.

Like you know anything Zoob ;)

Was out at LECOM today, apparently the plan IS to get the rotations established and to get an extension school opened up in the near-ish future. They consulted/consult a lot with BYU and wanted to be clear that BYU had no plans of starting a program.

The rumors in Erie agree with Thecgrblue. Dr Moore will be president of a school that will have the potential to be more than just a source for rotations. Like a small +/-40 student 4 year facility, like Lecom's Seton Hill campus. How soon it will running at that capacity is up for speculation. In general it will be open for business next fall for students to complete "portions" of their medical education. Dr Moore is a good guy, sad to see him go.

BYU seems to be a major feeder for DO schools. I know BYU is in the top 5 feeder schools for several DO programs... KCUMB, AZCOM, Touro-NV, KCOM, even MD schools like Ohio State. Maybe the Missouri/Ohio schools are trying to make up for Mormon history in their states ;).

It's interesting that BYU has so consistently put aside the idea of starting a med school, citing costs. They could probably run a top-notch DO program for roughly what it costs to run their law school.

Last edited:
Enough with LECOM, I want to know more about SUU's applicant status.

Enough with LECOM, I want to know more about SUU's applicant status.

Me too. There is some serious potential there. I met a UofU med student who went there for undergrad. It sounds like they have an amazing pre-med program. It would be a beautiful place to do med school geographically, too.

Sorry to swing discussion back to Provo, but there is also a large IHC hospital to be built about 10 minutes away from RMU in Spanish Fork. This hasn't been officially announced so I don't imagine it being up and running for a while, but that may also be attracting Lecom to provo.

I'll just go ahead and second the rumor that someone else mentioned about them wanting to have the rotation sites in Provo set up and running by next fall. I have now heard this as well.

Honestly, Provo seems to me like the better option for a DO school. The area has a lot of really good things to offer. Not that SUU doesn't, but I could see Provo being a more attractive option to a school and also to its out of state applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll just go ahead and second the rumor that someone else mentioned about them wanting to have the rotation sites in Provo set up and running by next fall. I have now heard this as well.

Honestly, Provo seems to me like the better option for a DO school. The area has a lot of really good things to offer. Not that SUU doesn't, but I could see Provo being a more attractive option to a school and also to its out of state applicants.

Agreed. As much as I love Cedar City (and trust me, I really love it!) I think Provo could better accommodate a medical school including many rotation sites. I just wish they'd open their own school instead of a branch of another school.

Me too. There is some serious potential there. I met a UofU med student who went there for undergrad. It sounds like they have an amazing pre-med program. It would be a beautiful place to do med school geographically, too.

Yea, hopefully there is something in the plans. A school doesn't just wake up and pay tens of thousands to become an applicant. It is by far the most interesting applicant on that list.

Agreed. As much as I love Cedar City (and trust me, I really love it!) I think Provo could better accommodate a medical school including many rotation sites. I just wish they'd open their own school instead of a branch of another school.

I think it was already mentioned way back on this thread that there were discussions 10+ years ago of UVU (then UVSC) opening a DO school.

so when is this multi million dollar facility coming? That sounds so awesome! I see the future of RMU super bright! They have great faculty and the PT director is the man with tons of experience.

I think it was already mentioned way back on this thread that there were discussions 10+ years ago of UVU (then UVSC) opening a DO school.

Highly doubt that was ever more than a back-of-the-napkin discussion. Take the most poorly funded and scientifically weak school in Utah and open a med school?

I just noticed this tweet that was sent out by Provo Economic Development back at the end of June. Thought it was interesting :

"The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine to open a #Provo campus starting classes the fall of 2014."

Why is no one paying attention to the fact that Idaho, just to the north, has 0 programs currently?

I'm all for the growth of the osteopathic profession, but Utah going from one school to four in just a few years is maybe a bit overkill.

Though Roseman opening an MD school is an interesting prospect.

Why is no one paying attention to the fact that Idaho, just to the north, has 0 programs currently?

I'm all for the growth of the osteopathic profession, but Utah going from one school to four in just a few years is maybe a bit overkill.

Though Roseman opening an MD school is an interesting prospect.

Plenty of interested students without an instate school. As long as it's set it in Boise for the population and weather :)

yea, but I wanted to know more about UVSC's past plans to open a DO program