Utah, still hangin'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dura

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those in the know. . .

How many acceptances have been given out so far this year? I know in past years up to 1/3 have been given out by now, but when spoke with someone in the adcom they gave me the impression that only a few have been handed out. Does anyone have insight into this?

Members don't see this ad.

Good question, I know of about three people accepted, all of which were out-of-staters. Nobody from my school, BYU (largest in Utah) has been accepted as far as I know.

I think only a very few have gone out. I know they want to get a good look at all of the people they intereviewed before filling the class -- sort of like they're becoming non-rolling. I think it's a good thing so Aug MCATers (like myself) don't get ignored. If you look in the red booklet you received on interview day it says in bold lettering, "the committee does not announce most of the final selections until April." Hang tight kids.

PS -- When did you both interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed Oct 1

Around mid-October

MedicineBird said:
PS -- When did you both interview?
Me too! Me too! November 19th! I don't expect to hear anything until late March or even late April. Oh, and as for helping out August MCATs with non-rolling admissions, you got in earlier than any of the rest of us, so I'm sure the late app didn't hurt you at all! ;)

redrocks said:
Me too! Me too! November 19th! I don't expect to hear anything until late March or even late April. Oh, and as for helping out August MCATs with non-rolling admissions, you got in earlier than any of the rest of us, so I'm sure the late app didn't hurt you at all! ;)

I'm an out of stater though so that may have had something to do with it -- I don't know why but....maybe.

Don't count on Utah telling until the last day they say (most people heard around April 10th last year).

bqj said:
Good question, I know of about three people accepted, all of which were out-of-staters. Nobody from my school, BYU (largest in Utah) has been accepted as far as I know.

Don't expect to know many who get in. Many are second time applicants and they tend to get a pretty diverse group from all majors and Utah schools (plus 25% from Idaho and elsewhere). Divide 75 up among four schools and ten to fifteen majors at each school, maybe another 25 are re-applicants, my math says about one per major per school. I know it doesn't work like that, but I knew about 200 U of U and BYU pre-meds last year and about three who got in. The rest were just random people.

in past years 40-50 students were accepted from byu and utah ugrad. and bio majors are close to 25% of the class.

typically the u will accept 20-30 students a few weeks after interview and keep everyone else hanging until april.

good luck everyone. utah is a fantastic school and i hope to see y'all there soon. i am always open to answer any questions about the school, city, etc.