UTCOP vs. UHCOP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sheneman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble deciding between two schools. It is literally dead even.
University of Houston College of Pharmacy has a ton of perks:
+Brand new building for the incoming class of next year.
+Texas Medical Center next door to COP
+Tons of Research opportunies
+Tons of Organizations/Pharmacy Fraternities
+More Faculty​

But there are also perks of attending the University of Texas College of Pharmacy:
+I'm a part of the UT/UTRGV Cooperative Pharmacy Program, so it makes sense.
+3rd Nationally Ranked
+Cheaper tuiton
+Friends who attend​

I want to hear from students of both universities on what drew them towards that university, and why I should choose that specific university.

Members don't see this ad.

So I can provide insight from UHCOP (Current P2). I chose UH mainly for the same reasons as you-TMC affiliation, research, faculty. And the new building/curriculum is really awesome! I also looked into UTCOP, but the rankings are shotty at best and basically are extrememly biased, so I wouldn't focus on the fact that they are ranked #3. Overall, it somewhat depends on what you want to go for in the end. If you want retail, pretty much any accredited pharm school is decent and both have good reputations. If you are looking more for hospital/residency, I personally went for UHCOP again because of the TMC affiliation as well as most people from UH who apply, match to a residency. Recently had an RPD come in and say that UHCOP grads are basically guaranteed a residency in the TMC because every knows they are well prepared. Not sure exactly how accurate that statement is, but most people do match. In the end, weigh your pros and cons and see which one fits you better.

Reactions: 1 user
So I can provide insight from UHCOP (Current P2). I chose UH mainly for the same reasons as you-TMC affiliation, research, faculty. And the new building/curriculum is really awesome! I also looked into UTCOP, but the rankings are shotty at best and basically are extrememly biased, so I wouldn't focus on the fact that they are ranked #3. Overall, it somewhat depends on what you want to go for in the end. If you want retail, pretty much any accredited pharm school is decent and both have good reputations. If you are looking more for hospital/residency, I personally went for UHCOP again because of the TMC affiliation as well as most people from UH who apply, match to a residency. Recently had an RPD come in and say that UHCOP grads are basically guaranteed a residency in the TMC because every knows they are well prepared. Not sure exactly how accurate that statement is, but most people do match. In the end, weigh your pros and cons and see which one fits you better.

That's what I like to hear!! Thank you so much for your P.O.V.
I've heard from UT grads, current Pharmacists, and from advisors that UHCOP grads come out very analytical and very well prepared.

Members don't see this ad :)
It frankly doesn't matter between the two schools UNLESS:
1. Graduate school is in your future (you'll find out the hard way that a research intensive school means different things to different people, and that the undergraduate division has both). If you do have it in your future, pick Texas. Texas has a longer history and better development farm for graduate work, especially in the Med Chem and Outcomes areas.

2. . The cities are a wash, if you are actually doing your job in studies, you won't have that much time to get out very much. However, Austin has a more tolerant drinking culture than Houston, while TABC and the Board are notoriously intolerant to getting caught intoxicated. If your politics are extreme in one form or another. I don't have to lay that out for you which city is which if you are in either group

4. If you are doing other classes outside the major, UH has a better cross-health class program and used to allow cross-registration with UTHealth, but UT has a far better business and humanities cross-training program (and I knew several graduates of the writing program at UT who also are pharmacists).

Both schools (UH is lower ranked, but that's immaterial for the undergraduate division) provide an outstanding education that is arguably a better value for the tuition dollar than other schools in the SEC or Big 12. You're choosing between two great schools for the undergraduate division, so it's more a preference matter (with 1 as a possible exception).

Reactions: 1 users
I go to UT, and it is extremely challenging. The curriculum has changed, and now it is just so unorganized with the three new classes they have added. I can't say anything about UH, but I was accepted there too and now I regretting not going. All I know is that they have class Mon-Thurs 9-12 while we have 9-5 on Fridays here. I see some classmates struggling (10 classes takes a toll on us), but others are doing well. It just comes down to preference in the end.

Last edited:
Go to whichever school is cheaper. Who cares how new the building is

Reactions: 3 users
I'd go with whoever is cheaper, unless one school has superior APPE's over the other really I think that would be the only selling point justifying higher tuition.

TSU! Holla!!!
9G7EO.gif

I am having trouble deciding between two schools. It is literally dead even.
University of Houston College of Pharmacy has a ton of perks:
+Brand new building for the incoming class of next year.
+Texas Medical Center next door to COP
+Tons of Research opportunies
+Tons of Organizations/Pharmacy Fraternities
+More Faculty​

But there are also perks of attending the University of Texas College of Pharmacy:
+I'm a part of the UT/UTRGV Cooperative Pharmacy Program, so it makes sense.
+3rd Nationally Ranked
+Cheaper tuiton
+Friends who attend​

I want to hear from students of both universities on what drew them towards that university, and why I should choose that specific university.
Hello!
I'm actually from UTRGV as well and I'm having the exact same dilemma. Have you made a final decision or are you still in the process of choosing a school?

Hello!
I'm actually from UTRGV as well and I'm having the exact same dilemma. Have you made a final decision or are you still in the process of choosing a school?
Hey! I'm in the same boat! They are both so great. I don't know how to compare the two. Did you decide yet?

Hey! I'm in the same boat! They are both so great. I don't know how to compare the two. Did you decide yet?
At the moment I'm leaning towards UH. In the month of April they will be hosting a welcoming event for the class of 2017, I'm very excited!

cost?
which city do u want to live/work?(connections)

other than those, it's a wash

Just know UH is a bit more expensive. They trick you by quoting P1 tuition as the cost of attendance which is a bit cheaper initially than UT, then it goes up each year as you start taking summer coursework. UT caps their tuition while UH charges by the credit hour with no cap. P4 year at UH is charged as 42 credit hours and ends up being in the 20-25k range that year.

I go to UT, and it is extremely challenging. The curriculum has changed, and now it is just so unorganized with the three new classes they have added. I can't say anything about UH, but I was accepted there too and now I regretting not going. All I know is that they have class Mon-Thurs 9-12 while we have 9-5 on Fridays here. I see some classmates struggling (10 classes takes a toll on us), but others are doing well. It just comes down to preference in the end.

Hey! Can you clarify what you mean by the classes are unorganized? And what changes to the curriculum have made it so challenging? I am trying to make my final decision on schools soon & want to make sure I have all the facts. Is the workload at UT that overbearing?