UTCVM c/o 2024 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been accepted to UT as OOS 2025 and the cost is kind of killing me on the inside. I am thinking about requesting a deferral but wondering how that works. Anyone have any experience getting a deferral from UT? What kind of reasons do they accept/deny?

I applied REALLY early in my pre-reqs and my application this year would be SO much stronger and I'd have a much better shot at getting into an IS school and literally cutting the cost by 70% or more.

I have heard denying an offer is a really bad idea (from mentors who are likely thinking about how it was 35 years ago) have things changed? Is it known to the other schools if you deny an offer? Does it matter in the long run?

I just can't convince myself paying 3x as much is a good idea. I know this is what I want to do that is no question. I am strongly considering going on to earn my PhD as well, but I also want to .... eat food after I graduate. :(

help.
If you marry someone who is living with you in TN, but is NOT here for school and has a full time job, then you are able to transition to IS status. I'm not saying you should accept a seat and expect to marry the first Tennesseean you meet, but I am saying that if you are married/engaged/in a serious relationship; then you may be able to acquire IS status. To my knowledge, you can only get IS if that occurs, OR if your parents move to TN and you live with them.

Just a thought. But I echo WildZoo in that money considerations should definitely be made before you apply to schools. I was always told to only apply to a vet school if you'll actually go through with it, move there and attend. Otherwise, it's pretty pricey in itself to pay for the application, supplemental, interview travel fees (in a non pandemic climate), and then the time it costs you to do all of those things. Congratulations on your acceptance, though. Huge accomplishment regardless.

Members don't see this ad.