UTCVM c/o 2024 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful_vet2026

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gonna go ahead and start this thread for us in the upcoming cycle for class of 2024! For those of you applying for the first time, ask any and all questions! If you're like me and this isn't your first time around, welcome back! Let's be here to help, support, encourage and even make each other laugh!

Members don't see this ad.

I did! I’m OOS, first time applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! I am IS, but this is my 2nd cycle. I interviewed last year but did not get accepted. I DID do a packet review though and hope I fixed what they wanted fixed! Good luck, this is a very exciting and also stressful time!
I did! I’m OOS, first time applicant.

Thank you!! Good luck to you as well. I am so nervous haha I keep second guessing my application and wondering if it’s strong enough. I hope you get in this time around!!! I keep preparing myself to not get in so I’m not too disappointed

LOL, I've learned the hard way that not getting your hopes up is pretty much impossible! What really matters is being able to pick yourself up and move on and do better next time if you don't get in. Hopefully, that won't be necessary LOL, but I think it's totally normal and natural to get your hopes up! We all want to get in and we all hope we do right? Otherwise, we wouldn't be the best candidates. You know? Extra good luck to you!
Thank you!! Good luck to you as well. I am so nervous haha I keep second guessing my application and wondering if it’s strong enough. I hope you get in this time around!!! I keep preparing myself to not get in so I’m not too disappointed

Hey... Remember me from last year! Haha, I'm baaack!
:hello:

Here to answer any and all questions you guys might have! I'm hoping to be able to help with conducting interviews this cycle :)

Does anyone know how heavily GRE scores are weighed in evaluating applicants?

Hi all! I’m a first time applicant OOS ( but was born, grew up, and went to high school in TN so I know the area etc) excited for all of us!

Reactions: 1 users
They actually do not assign a point value to the GRE, but require it to be taken. I think it's to see how much of an adaptive learner you are but it isn't necessarily a tie breaker
Does anyone know how heavily GRE scores are weighed in evaluating applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
So actually, when you look at the UTCVM application breakdown, some point value is certainly assigned to the GRE, but it is very small in comparison. It is in there quantitative 1/3 of the application packet. They also have an experience portion which they weigh in as 1/3 your app. The final 1/3 is your interview, which y'all should know is changing this year from traditional, 3 panelist style to MMI style.

So actually, when you look at the UTCVM application breakdown, some point value is certainly assigned to the GRE, but it is very small in comparison. It is in there quantitative 1/3 of the application packet. They also have an experience portion which they weigh in as 1/3 your app. The final 1/3 is your interview, which y'all should know is changing this year from traditional, 3 panelist style to MMI style.
P.s. I'm also a reaplicant this year :) I was on the OOS waitlist last year. Moved down to Knoxville in May with my husband and am applying IS this year as a result.

Ah, Deborah told me last year during my packet review that they don't actually assign points to the GRE. But, obviously it counts for something right or we wouldn't be required to take it.

Hmm. Guess they should update their website :)

Anywho, I also did a packet review last year. Deborah told me they are switching to MMI style of interview, which many medical schools already do these days. It is a sort of scenario-based interview. You can certainly Google it and find tons of prep. I read a book that Deborah recommended to me.

They actually do not assign a point value to the GRE, but require it to be taken. I think it's to see how much of an adaptive learner you are but it isn't necessarily a tie breaker
Thanks! That's somewhat of a relief! My GRE scores are below average. I've taken it 5 times lol, I think it's nerves. But other aspects of my application are strong.

I scored above average in my writing (4.5), slightly above average in Quant, but in the lower end for Verbal and their only remarks were that it was surprising to see my verbal score was lower than my Quant, given my writing score. I asked if I should try taking it again and she said that was totally up to me because they no longer assign Point values to it. So depending on how low you're talking, especially in comparison to your course grades, I'd say you're totally fine!
Thanks! That's somewhat of a relief! My GRE scores are below average. I've taken it 5 times lol, I think it's nerves. But other aspects of my application are strong.

I scored above average in my writing (4.5), slightly above average in Quant, but in the lower end for Verbal and their only remarks were that it was surprising to see my verbal score was lower than my Quant, given my writing score. I asked if I should try taking it again and she said that was totally up to me because they no longer assign Point values to it. So depending on how low you're talking, especially in comparison to your course grades, I'd say you're totally fine!
Ha! My writing score was above average too!

I wish they cared WAY more about that fact lol! I felt really strongly about my whole app, except for a FEW not great grades (3, that I tried to explain), and they said I was a "very well rounded candidate", yet here I am trying again lol! I mean, I know it was those grades that did me in and I understand WHY, but it sounds like you've got a strong application and your GRE isn't gonna make or break ya!
Ha! My writing score was above average too!

Whenever anyone gets an interview request, make sure you post about it here! I was looking at last year's schedule of events and yes, I know that doesn't mean anything as far as what to expect this year AND last year interviews were done on the weekend of fall break (which was the first weekend in October) and this year's Fall break isn't until the 3rd weekend, but my time line went like this: Verified by VCMAS around 9/19, Interview offer 9/22, interview 10/3. I'll be anxious to hear when everyone starts getting interviews!

Do you happen to know the proposed IS interview dates? Or if they'll be over the fall break?
Sigh. I'm still sad about the interview style switch. Last I heard they were still going to do the panel style along with incorporating MMI but maybe things have changed.

Okay, so interview offers could be anytime between I guess Sept 17th and right before fall break? Do you know if they've begun to offer interviews yet at all?
Last I heard was fall break, so October 17-18

Okay, so interview offers could be anytime between I guess Sept 17th and right before fall break? Do you know if they've begun to offer interviews yet at all?
You guys will probably know before I will :) now that I'm in clinics I've got less time to stalk admin. Haven't heard anything yet.

Does anyone know how UT communicates with us? Is there a portal or will they email us, if there is a portal what is the address?

Does anyone know how UT communicates with us? Is there a portal or will they email us, if there is a portal what is the address?
Email! The email you listed on your vcmas application. No portal! Cue obsessive email inbox checking!

Interview dates are set for both IS/OOS, but dates when they'll be sending offers has not been set yet! Just updating everyone!
Screenshot_20190926-113603_Chrome.jpeg

Oh but word on the street is they won't send out notices until the week prior or OF interviews
People will have 7 days to arrange for time off, flights, hotel and prep for the interview itself?

Not sure, maybe since at least the interview date some cells are known you could make tentative plans? Last year I got a full nine days notice, so it wasn't a whole lot.
People will have 7 days to arrange for time off, flights, hotel and prep for the interview itself?

Hey, Does anyone know what are the dorm's policy for dogs ?

That is so sad to hear about the MMI change. I called Deboarah to confirm--they are definitely sticking to traditional panel-styled interviews. I also asked about the date for interview offers for in state. She said they should have them out hopefully by the end of next week (she told me this yesterday). But she seemed hopeful they would come sooner? Unsure.

Hey, Does anyone know what are the dorm's policy for dogs ?
Most on campus housing has a no pet policy. I don't know of many vet students that live on campus though, I'm not sure about dorm policies for professional students. There are a lot of off campus apartments that allow dogs, though most of them have restrictions.

@WildZoo Since moving to the Knoxville area, many are rumoring that UT grads are hit or miss in terms of competency in the clinic. I've heard rumors that with a new dean switch in the last so many years, the quality of education has decreased. Can you speak to any of that? I know it should be dependent on the student... if you work hard in vet school, you should become a good doctor, right? Please calm my mind, as I'm putting all my eggs in the UT basket!

@WildZoo Since moving to the Knoxville area, many are rumoring that UT grads are hit or miss in terms of competency in the clinic. I've heard rumors that with a new dean switch in the last so many years, the quality of education has decreased. Can you speak to any of that? I know it should be dependent on the student... if you work hard in vet school, you should become a good doctor, right? Please calm my mind, as I'm putting all my eggs in the UT basket!
I'd be interested in where those rumors are coming from and what specifically they are referring to. In my opinion you get out what you put in with any vet school, UT is no exception. I feel that I have received an excellent education, and so far have gotten positive feedback about my work and competancy in clinics. If UT grads are hit or miss, to be honest I'd say that is more because there is going to be individual variation just based on people rather than on their education. Put the same people at a different school and you'd probably see similar outcomes. I've lived in Knoxville for 3 years and haven't heard any of these rumors myself, nor does there seem to be any hesitation from local clinics to hire new grads from the school.

I'm wondering why I've been hearing it :( I'm thankful for your input and agree with you--you get what you put into veterinary school.

Side note: interview offers are starting to be given out. I got mine today! (Ironically...)

P.s. I love UT. It is exactly why I moved to this state. It was just alarming to have 2 or 3 vets dig on UT grads :( perhaps they have just had isolated instances where they've come into problems... unsure. Either way, wishing everyone else luck on getting interviews!

I'm wondering why I've been hearing it :( I'm thankful for your input and agree with you--you get what you put into veterinary school.

Side note: interview offers are starting to be given out. I got mine today! (Ironically...)

P.s. I love UT. It is exactly why I moved to this state. It was just alarming to have 2 or 3 vets dig on UT grads :( perhaps they have just had isolated instances where they've come into problems... unsure. Either way, wishing everyone else luck on getting interviews!
2 or 3 vets doesn't alarm me. They may have worked with a handful of individuals. They may have forgotten what it was like to be a new grad and how steep that learning curve is the first year out of school. They may have their own biases. Schools do surveys of practitioners in the area to get their opinion of new grads that they work with, and I haven't heard anything about there being an alarming amount of negative feedback. I'd take those kinds of things with a huge grain of salt. Again, if it were a major problem and widespread opinion, I'd imagine people would have a harder time getting jobs, which is certainly not the case.

Can I speak to that as well? I have worked with numerous numerous UT grads and I would say majority of them are the most talented, intelligent, compassionate vets I've ever known. They are why I want to go to UT... I want the education they got so I can practice medicine like they do.

Oh my, you got yours today? What time? LOL now I'm freaking out
2 or 3 vets doesn't alarm me. They may have worked with a handful of individuals. They may have forgotten what it was like to be a new grad and how steep that learning curve is the first year out of school. They may have their own biases. Schools do surveys of practitioners in the area to get their opinion of new grads that they work with, and I haven't heard anything about there being an alarming amount of negative feedback. I'd take those kinds of things with a huge grain of salt. Again, if it were a major problem and widespread opinion, I'd imagine people would have a harder time getting jobs, which is certainly not the case.