UTCVM c/o 2024 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wildzoo, thanks for the info! Sounds like it should be fun! If you can answer this, is it a day camp for 2 days or are we camping overnight?
And I mailed out my letter of intent a few day’s ago, I’m so excited! Still can’t believe I’m actually going to attend my dream school! :soexcited:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Wildzoo, thanks for the info! Sounds like it should be fun! If you can answer this, is it a day camp for 2 days or are we camping overnight?
And I mailed out my letter of intent a few day’s ago, I’m so excited! Still can’t believe I’m actually going to attend my dream school! :soexcited:
You'll be there overnight!

Reactions: 1 user
^
Thanks! This might be problematic though, I’ve never been camping, only glamping. :rofl:

Members don't see this ad :)
^
Thanks! This might be problematic though, I’ve never been camping, only glamping. :rofl:
There’s big cabins with bunk beds and bathrooms. So it’s not “roughing it,” just juvenile

I'm officially declining my OOS seat for my IS school. Good luck to those waitlisted! :)

Did you ever wish that you had done the anatomy boot camp?

Just happened to see this. I highly recommend doing anatomy boot camp. People who did boot camp went into orientation/vet camp/ first week of school already knowing a bunch of people and some of the professors. It made my life a lot easier and my friends who also did boot camp have repeatedly said that they couldn’t have imagined what it would’ve been like to *not* have done camp. I saved up for it ($800 I think?) and it was worth it.

@WildZoo has done it, I believe. I’m pretty sure that UTK is one of those schools where the only real routes to be able to get IS tuition is to either marry a resident or have military benefits.

My S/O and I are looking to get married, but we're waiting until we move. For him to become a TN resident, is it as easy as switching his license over and getting an address in TN? Or is there more that I'm missing? This is going to play a big role in my decision on which school I go to. I really love UT and don't want to feel guilty because it's more expensive than other options I have. :(

My S/O and I are looking to get married, but we're waiting until we move. For him to become a TN resident, is it as easy as switching his license over and getting an address in TN? Or is there more that I'm missing? This is going to play a big role in my decision on which school I go to. I really love UT and don't want to feel guilty because it's more expensive than other options I have. :(
Yeah I would double check with admin. He should only need to have a job to be able to switch, I believe he needs to have it for 3 months or something like that.

Thank you, guys. He currently works for a company that will be transferring him wherever we go, so we have that going for us. I will contact admissions and see what they say. I am ok with OOS tuition for my first year, but if I could get it lower for the last three, that'd be great. I want to pick the school I think I'll be happiest regardless of cost, but sadly money controls a lot. Just trying to make the best decision. :dead:

Yeah I would double check with admin. He should only need to have a job to be able to switch, I believe he needs to have it for 3 months or something like that.
My husband did it and I am an IS resident because of it. We moved down here in my gap year and all he needed to do was have 1.) A full time job, 2.) In state drivers license 3.) Proof of residence (like our lease agreement). And I did not actually have to send them any of this documentation before being accepted as an IS resident.

I honestly think it was easier moving down here and establishing residency BEFORE applying as an IS resident.

Just happened to see this. I highly recommend doing anatomy boot camp. People who did boot camp went into orientation/vet camp/ first week of school already knowing a bunch of people and some of the professors. It made my life a lot easier and my friends who also did boot camp have repeatedly said that they couldn’t have imagined what it would’ve been like to *not* have done camp. I saved up for it ($800 I think?) and it was worth it.
Is this something covered by financial aid? I will be paying for a wedding and out of state move at the same time so a *little* strapped lol

Is this something covered by financial aid? I will be paying for a wedding and out of state move at the same time so a *little* strapped lol
Loans don't come in until the second week of the semester, not sure if they would be willing to bill you so you could pay later though

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if this will ease the minds of some accepting students, but I'm not planning on doing the anatomy boot camp, even not having done anatomy in undergrad. I honestly just want to keep costs as low as possible and I'm not sure an anatomy boot camp is going to make that much of a difference. Helpful option, but I'm also already thousands in debt from undergrad and am trying to NOT take out any loans for the 1st year of veterinary school.

I'm still expecting to make plenty of friends during orientation week! :)

I'm still expecting to make plenty of friends during orientation week! :)
You will :) I met two of my friends just prior to orientation, one of them planned a movie thing presumably for the class and the three of us were the only ones to go haha but it worked out, they're still two of my favorite people. Made my other close friends at camp, during the first few weeks of class, and then throughout first year. Got closer with other people as time went on too!

Current/past students: How did everyone choose how many clubs to be in? I'm passionate about like 9 of them and I'm not sure I can manage 9 clubs on top of veterinary school!

Current/past students: How did everyone choose how many clubs to be in? I'm passionate about like 9 of them and I'm not sure I can manage 9 clubs on top of veterinary school!
Being a member of a club isn't really any extra work at all. You pay dues, you choose what lunch meetings and wetlabs to go to. The only one that has attendance requirements is VBMA - you have to go to a certain number of meetings to get your certificate points. Otherwise, there is no real responsibility in being a club member. Being an officer is a different thing, but you won't be doing that first semester.

I joined a lot of clubs first year and then started tailoring down to the ones I was really into later on. If nothing else, most clubs have enough catered lunch meetings that you make the dues money back in food. Plus members usually get preference for wetlabs and trips.

Reactions: 2 users
Can students use the gym for free? And is there a rock wall/ropes course on or near campus?

Remember when they said students with a disadvantage statement should hear “shortly after feb 1”... lets all laugh together

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Can students use the gym for free? And is there a rock wall/ropes course on or near campus?

the gym is free. There is a climbing wall which I don’t know much about. You can check out the website For more info.

Remember when they said students with a disadvantage statement should hear “shortly after feb 1”... lets all laugh together
I’m losing hope. It makes me feel like they aren’t even considering my application.

Someone called and they said 200 people are in that boat and we should hear by March 1

Someone called and they said 200 people are in that boat and we should hear by March 1
But at that point are we even being considered? Doesn’t even seem like we are anymore. Why accept students while some students with disadvantages are not even offered interviews yet? Just because we have a disadvantage statement doesn’t mean we are less qualified?

But at that point are we even being considered? Doesn’t even seem like we are anymore. Why accept students while some students with disadvantages are not even offered interviews yet? Just because we have a disadvantage statement doesn’t mean we are less qualified?
I had a disadvantage statement and heard back with the rest of the OOS, so I don't think it is everyone with a disadvantage statement. I definitely hear your frustration though.

I
I had a disadvantage statement and heard back with the rest of the OOS, so I don't think it is everyone with a disadvantage statement. I definitely hear your frustration though.
I agree, I don't think it is everyone with a disadvantage statement either. Last year, I had a disadvantage statement and a similar thing happened, yet I heard with many OOS applicants while some OOS with disadvantage statements didnt hear for weeks longer.

For those who already accepted, did you get a phone call regarding admissions needing a SSN to get you into the system? I received a voicemail a few minutes ago, just double checking it’s legit! Lol

For those who already accepted, did you get a phone call regarding admissions needing a SSN to get you into the system? I received a voicemail a few minutes ago, just double checking it’s legit! Lol
Yes, I was concerned too, but I looked on the website and the admissions lady was listed on there. I think it is legit? If not, I'll get identity theft... lol

first time posting, like time stalker on here haha. OOS accepted, I know I saw it earlier on here, but anyone have info on good places to live in Knoxville, specifically with a pitbull? I know most apartments don't allow aggressive dogs breeds. any info is appreciated as UT is looking like my top choice rn!

QUOTE="plk3005, post: 21635485, member: 1037401"]
first time posting, like time stalker on here haha. OOS accepted, I know I saw it earlier on here, but anyone have info on good places to live in Knoxville, specifically with a pitbull? I know most apartments don't allow aggressive dogs breeds. any info is appreciated as UT is looking like my top choice rn!
[/QUOTE]

Papermill square apartments allows pitbulls I think (I live there right now). It's small, but affordable.

For those of you who have accepted your seat at UT, did you hear anything from them after sending in your letter? I did see some of you were asked for your socials, so I guess that would mean they got your letter? I may be accepting (really leaning towards it) in a couple of weeks. Just want to be extra prepared. :)

For those of you who have accepted your seat at UT, did you hear anything from them after sending in your letter? I did see some of you were asked for your socials, so I guess that would mean they got your letter? I may be accepting (really leaning towards it) in a couple of weeks. Just want to be extra prepared. :)
They just had me set up my email yesterday!

Anyone heard anything about the last interview date for disadvantage statement apps?

I know the National deadline for us to let them know is April 15, but I believe the national deadline for them to give us a decision is March 15. Correct me if I’m wrong, so those of us that haven’t heard back about disadvantage interviews should hear back very very soon. Time is running out!

I know the National deadline for us to let them know is April 15, but I believe the national deadline for them to give us a decision is March 15. Correct me if I’m wrong, so those of us that haven’t heard back about disadvantage interviews should hear back very very soon. Time is running out!

Woah, wasn't aware they also had a deadline...
Anyone feel like this the complete opposite of a "disadvantaged student"? Considering if we are granted an interview, then we're probably going to be paying airline flights that are twice as expensive because of the timing and short notice? Versus the better timing we would've had for travel planning if we interviewed with the rest of the applicants...

Reactions: 2 users
Woah, wasn't aware they also had a deadline...
Anyone feel like this the complete opposite of a "disadvantaged student"? Considering if we are granted an interview, then we're probably going to be paying airline flights that are twice as expensive because of the timing and short notice? Versus the better timing we would've had for travel planning if we interviewed with the rest of the applicants...
Well if any other disadvantages need a ride I live in Ohio and am in driving distance so we can carpool! Just don’t murder me lol

Well if any other disadvantages need a ride I live in Ohio and am in driving distance so we can carpool! Just don’t murder me lol

Thank you for the offer! Unfortunately I'm coming from California so my only option is by flying. Hopefully, someone else can accompany you though!

Hope you all with disadvantage statements hear soon! Bigcatfanatic, I set up my email account today too, yay!

• Love
I spoke with Deborah today about those who are still waiting to hear with disadvantaged statements, she said they're hoping to get interview offers out in yet another couple of weeks

I spoke with Deborah today about those who are still waiting to hear with disadvantaged statements, she said they're hoping to get interview offers out in yet another couple of weeks
Oh for the love!! This wait is insane.

Thanks for calling, I think if I contacted her one more time I’d get on the auto reject list lol

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone been contacted since they sent in their letter of intent?

Yes, the admissions assistant will have you confirm your social security number and email and then have you set up your email. I sent in my letter months ago though, so I'm not sure the timeline for everyone else.

Yes, the admissions assistant will have you confirm your social security number and email and then have you set up your email. I sent in my letter months ago though, so I'm not sure the timeline for everyone else.
ah! I sent mine two weeks ago and stressing it somehow was lost in the mail. hah

Haucanitbe: I heard from the admissions counselor one week after I mailed my letter, which was a few weeks ago. They might be busier now though with more letters coming in, but I would maybe wait one more week and then contact them to make sure they received it.

Thank you guys! I'll email at the end of the week, just to be safe.

Last edited:
Has anyone received a financial packet yet? (haven’t confirmed my seat)