UTCVM c/o 2024 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received a financial packet yet? (haven’t confirmed my seat)
Ms. Shepherd said that we wouldnt probably get anything until after April 15th, but even still, she said most freshman do not receive scholarships and almost all of us receive the same financial aid package which is around $40,000 per year in federal loans (I think)....

Members don't see this ad.

$40,500 in direct unsub loans, if you need more you can apply for the grad plus loan, which most out of state students will have to do unless you have another way to pay for the rest of tuition. I believe you can get up to another $35,000 or so that way.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to Debra this morning about disadvantage students. She said due to the virus hysteria, the admissions committee has not been able to meet regarding setting up the last interview date, but they are still planning to do it. It will most likely be after April 15. She also said that if we are Made an offer from another school she strongly advised to take it.... this is crazy.

I talked to Debra this morning about disadvantage students. She said due to the virus hysteria, the admissions committee has not been able to meet regarding setting up the last interview date, but they are still planning to do it. It will most likely be after April 15. She also said that if we are Made an offer from another school she strongly advised to take it.... this is crazy.
This is very upsetting. Our applications have not even been considered and we have worked so hard to get to this point, of possibly not even hearing from them? And keep in mind, we paid... for this?! Their application process is not fair. The fact we have a disadvantage statement shouldn’t have pushed their reviews of our files till now. They should’ve reviewed everyone’s files at the same time, and then consider the disadvantage statements.

Reactions: 2 users
This is very upsetting. Our applications have not even been considered and we have worked so hard to get to this point, of possibly not even hearing from them? And keep in mind, we paid... for this?! Their application process is not fair. The fact we have a disadvantage statement shouldn’t have pushed their reviews of our files till now. They should’ve reviewed everyone’s files at the same time, and then consider the disadvantage statements.
I agree I am very disappointed with their application process. This is my second time applying. I never heard anything last year, not even an update until March. Then this stuff this year. It feels like they cashed our checks and pushed us to the back burner. Also I didn’t realize that disadvantage students hear last? We shouldn’t have filled that portion out at all if that’s the case.

I actually think that is exactly how it works, which is why some people that had disadvantage statements already got decisions. Those with disadvantage statements who still haven't heard essentially get a second chance to be reviewed instead of immediately receiving a rejection.

Reactions: 1 users
I actually think that is exactly how it works, which is why some people that had disadvantage statements already got decisions. Those with disadvantage statements who still haven't heard essentially get a second chance to be reviewed instead of immediately receiving a rejection.
The email they sent back in December of January said we (all students with disadvantage statements) would hear shortly after February 1st. Now they are using this Coronavirus outbreak as an excuse? They’ve had MONTHS to send decisions. For us to not hear anything is completely unfair and BS. Even if it was a rejection... at least give us an update! We paid for our applications, we deserve to be respected.

The email they sent back in December of January said we (all students with disadvantage statements) would hear shortly after February 1st. Now they are using this Coronavirus outbreak as an excuse? They’ve had MONTHS to send decisions. For us to not hear anything is completely unfair and BS. Even if it was a rejection... at least give us an update! We paid for our applications, we deserve to be respected.
Preach it!

I understand being upset, I was just clarifying that it isn't like they haven't looked at your applications at all. In fact your application is getting more thorough consideration than others did at this point.

It is a relatively small school with a smaller admissions staff, most of whom have many many other jobs to perform. When someone is out sick or other unforeseen issues come up, it can have a big impact. The coronavirus outbreak isn't an "excuse" when they have been having to meet with main campus admin to make decisions about what to do with current students.

I will say that if you do end up attending, understanding that life happens and that things don't always occur on the projected timeline will serve you well for sure. Delays and other situations that require some flexibility are relatively common here. The upside is that they offer much of the same consideration and understanding for students when life happens.

Reactions: 4 users
I want to point out, too, that UTK is not the only school where admissions has taken a backseat. They’re not intentionally being disrespectful, but their likely largest priority at the moment is trying to work out the logistics of what to do with current students, especially those in fourth year on clinics. While they definitely should have kept you all updated as the delays began, at least it sounds like the admissions staff were very honest in responding to another poster’s inquiry that they may not get back around to things until on or after April 15th and that you might want to consider accepting an offer elsewhere if you’ve got one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m sorry tayterdoggie and animal-lady. :( I hope you have other options!

OOS disadvantage rejection... feel like I was never considered. Wouldn't have even written a disadvantage statement had I known.

Sorry to those receiving rejections. I know how terrible that feels. Try to keep your heads up.

I do not believe that your disadvantage statements led to you not being considered at all - as I said before, it seems that you were put in a second pool after the first pass. This means that your applications were considered, and then considered again. The rejection doesn't say anything about you as a person. I encourage you to contact the school for file reviews, if you choose to apply again, so that you can make improvements to your applications! Best of luck.

To current students: Does anyone know if the research labs at UTCVM are accepting any student researchers as workers for this summer? I am currently a veterinary technician in the area and would love to switch just for a few months prior to something more academically-focused (I miss academia terribly). If there are any public health or wildlife opportunities, I'd love to learn more about those, too!

I know that things are going a little crazy everywhere right now, but I just wanted to throw out there for all of our incoming first-years that my roommate (another vet student) and I are looking for someone to join us in our rental house for next year! I don't want to make a whole roommate advertisement post here haha so if anyone is interested just message me and I can give you more details!

I know that things are going a little crazy everywhere right now, but I just wanted to throw out there for all of our incoming first-years that my roommate (another vet student) and I are looking for someone to join us in our rental house for next year! I don't want to make a whole roommate advertisement post here haha so if anyone is interested just message me and I can give you more details!
I may be interested! DM me for details!!

There’ll be more housing opportunities arising too once the FB page is made which will be after April 15th sometime.

• Wow
Hi new friends - Congrats to those of you who were accepted to the class of 2024! I am looking for someone to housesit this summer and care for my pets. I have 3 dogs and 2 cats. Free room and board from early May until August in exchange for caring for my babes. I live in a 2bd/1ba house. I'm an RN too and taking a travel assignment this summer to supplement my school loans. PM me if you're interested. Or e-mail me at [email protected] !!

Congrats again!!!

Anyone have some advice on where to look for apartments?

Anyone have some advice on where to look for apartments?
Just gonna quote myself from earlier haha
There are a bunch of places. I'm currently at The Henley, have friends who have lived in The Woodlands for 3 years, one friend lives in The Social which is more pricey but walking distance from school, which has its benefits. Most people tend to stick around West and South Knox. If you're looking for cheaper options, north Knox has some good options too - I lived in The Canyon & Knox Landing before my husband moved up here. Would avoid East Knox.
Keep in mind if you have pets, most of the apartment complexes in Knoxville are owned by the same company (Freeman Webb) so their pet policy is consistent across the board - 2 pet limit, size restrictions for dogs (some have breed restrictions), and most have a one time pet fee.

• Wow
When would be the best time to secure an apartment. May, June? I would think most become available by May 1 with current student residents moving out. Any advice?

When would be the best time to secure an apartment. May, June? I would think most become available by May 1 with current student residents moving out. Any advice?
If you’re looking for an apartment, there’s tons of options to choose from and you could probably look around June. I might just start browsing communities to see what interests you though.

I started looking in May, but I was interested in a house and other specifications so I allotted time for that.

I’d bet there’s a lot of empty housing now too since many have moved back home with classes being online. You may be able to move sooner if that’s something you want.

For anyone looking for a house with a fenced yard (and super close to school), here is my landlord’s info. He is renting to some 4th years too so I expect they’ll be moving out this summer so at least 1 vacancy.
Marlow Properties, LLC

I’ve also seen cute houses (not always a fenced yard though) from Pittman Properties whom you can find on Facebook.

I was accepted OOS, but just declined my offer...Best of luck to those on the waitlist!:)

I received my acceptance and mailed the acceptance for the offer. I am so excited. Hope to see all of you in august.

To those accepted: there is now a facebook group for the UTCVM class of 2024.

• Wow
Thanks for letting us know BigCatFanatic! I don’t have Facebook currently, so I need to hurry up and make an account to join the group! Has anyone received any emails through their UTK account? I’ve been having issues logging in and am worried I could be missing important information.

Yes
Thanks for letting us know BigCatFanatic! I don’t have Facebook currently, so I need to hurry up and make an account to join the group! Has anyone received any emails through their UTK account? I’ve been having issues logging in and am worried I could be missing important information.
Yes, there is some information being sent to us through the utk email. I'd definitely get that fixed if you can. So far, it has just been general campus updates (mostly pertaining to COVID-19) and immunization records requesting to be sent to the immunization coordinator. I think all immunizations and TB screening need to be complete by August 1st.

I know there must have been some movement on the waitlist because of one the members that joined the fb group recently had just gotten an email for acceptance within the last week.

I hope this helps!

^
Thanks! I’ve contacted the help desk again so hopefully the issue will be resolved soon. I’m excited to see the emails from my official UTK account! Lol.

Hi, have any of you heard of Meadowood apartments or BACO properties in Knoxville? We are apartment hunting and it seems like a great deal and the people also seem nice, but you can never be too careful!

Hi. Anybody know approximately when you can find out about your Financial Aid information ? Is this something that the school will let you know it is ready or do you need to contact Ms Sheppard about?

Hi, have any of you heard of Meadowood apartments or BACO properties in Knoxville? We are apartment hunting and it seems like a great deal and the people also seem nice, but you can never be too careful!

I personally have not heard of them since I'm not from the Knoxville area, but you could ask in the Facebook group for your class and I'm sure one of the current students that knows the area better could possibly help out!

Hi. Anybody know approximately when you can find out about your Financial Aid information ? Is this something that the school will let you know it is ready or do you need to contact Ms Sheppard about?

I believe that last year we received our official financial aid info around mid June or so. The financial aid stuff is essentially controlled by the office at the undergrad campus that does the entirety of UT's financial aid for all students, and last year when I kept calling that office for updates they were saying they were super behind on getting things processed for the upcoming year. So hopefully they might be able to get y'alls info to you sooner this year!

Has anyone heard back from being waitlisted? I accepted my spot somewhere else but I’m just curious if I would’ve gotten in. They said there would be a lot of waitlist movement so I’m surprised to see no one talking about it.

Gonna go ahead and start this thread for us in the upcoming cycle for class of 2024! For those of you applying for the first time, ask any and all questions! If you're like me and this isn't your first time around, welcome back! Let's be here to help, support, encourage and even make each other laugh!
Hi, OOS. What if you don’t get an interview email does that mean you are automatically denied?

So you could not be interviewed and still be accepted???
No, you will either get an interview invite or a rejection letter, but they will sometimes go back over some applications after initial batches of interview invites have been sent. So you're not 100% out until you get the rejection letter.

No, you will either get an interview invite or a rejection letter, but they will sometimes go back over some applications after initial batches of interview invites have been sent. So you're not 100% out until you get the rejection letter.
Do you or anyone have any insight of how many OOS applicants they accept after interviews? Interviewed on 1/15 and the wait is killing me :(

Do you or anyone have any insight of how many OOS applicants they accept after interviews? Interviewed on 1/15 and the wait is killing me :(
You're looking for the c/o 2025 applicant thread :)

The final class usually has 25 OOS students. I am not sure at all if they do the thing a lot of schools do where they overaccept with the knowledge that many people will turn down the spot for their IS or another school. If they do, the number of people that get an acceptance will be more than that 25.

You're looking for the c/o 2025 applicant thread :)

The final class usually has 25 OOS students. I am not sure at all if they do the thing a lot of schools do where they overaccept with the knowledge that many people will turn down the spot for their IS or another school. If they do, the number of people that get an acceptance will be more than that 25.
Last year, they told our class (class of 2024) that they indeed over accept OOS students. If I'm remembering correctly, it is 3-4 times the number of spots.

Last year, they told our class (class of 2024) that they indeed over accept OOS students. If I'm remembering correctly, it is 3-4 times the number of spots.
Thank you! Do you happen to know if any students in your class were pulled from the alternate list? I just found out that I am OOS waitlisted

I have been accepted to UT as OOS 2025 and the cost is kind of killing me on the inside. I am thinking about requesting a deferral but wondering how that works. Anyone have any experience getting a deferral from UT? What kind of reasons do they accept/deny?

I applied REALLY early in my pre-reqs and my application this year would be SO much stronger and I'd have a much better shot at getting into an IS school and literally cutting the cost by 70% or more.

I have heard denying an offer is a really bad idea (from mentors who are likely thinking about how it was 35 years ago) have things changed? Is it known to the other schools if you deny an offer? Does it matter in the long run?

I just can't convince myself paying 3x as much is a good idea. I know this is what I want to do that is no question. I am strongly considering going on to earn my PhD as well, but I also want to .... eat food after I graduate. :(

help.

I have been accepted to UT as OOS 2025 and the cost is kind of killing me on the inside. I am thinking about requesting a deferral but wondering how that works. Anyone have any experience getting a deferral from UT? What kind of reasons do they accept/deny?

I applied REALLY early in my pre-reqs and my application this year would be SO much stronger and I'd have a much better shot at getting into an IS school and literally cutting the cost by 70% or more.

I have heard denying an offer is a really bad idea (from mentors who are likely thinking about how it was 35 years ago) have things changed? Is it known to the other schools if you deny an offer? Does it matter in the long run?

I just can't convince myself paying 3x as much is a good idea. I know this is what I want to do that is no question. I am strongly considering going on to earn my PhD as well, but I also want to .... eat food after I graduate. :(

help.
To my knowledge UT only accepts deferrals for extenuating life circumstances, not because you want to hold onto the spot through another application cycle.

Good to think about the costs but this really should have been something you thought about before you applied. It shouldn't matter to other schools when you reapply that you denied an offer the previous cycle. I'm not 100% sure if they will even know that you're a 2nd time applicant, though in general I don't think that matters. Whether or not it will matter to UT if you apply there again is a different issue. I don't know if anyone has the answer to that.

Overall you're weighing the cost (a big big deal) against the fact that there is no guarantee that you'll get in next cycle. If you really think your application is much improved for this next cycle then I say go for it.

Thank you! Do you happen to know if any students in your class were pulled from the alternate list? I just found out that I am OOS waitlisted
I'm not sure if those that were pulled were IS or OOS students. There was some movement, but unfortunately I don't think there was a lot.