UTHealth Fall 2016 MPH admits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDumbledore

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I wanted to start a thread for the people who have been/will be accepted to the UTH SPH Fall 2016 session. We can discuss stuff and keep up to date with the admission process.
Has anyone of you received the myUTH login details yet?
All the best to everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just received my acceptance letter. Nothing else.

Hi guys!
Did anyone get any update/notification regarding the scholarship decision? So far I've read only one person claim that they got awarded a scholarship in the main "MPH Fall 2016..." thread.
Apart from that, I got an "Immunization hold" email. Still no official acceptance letter in the postal mail though.

Anyone else considering going to UTH? :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
No official letter, no scholarship decision. I got an immunization hold and transcript request in myUTH.
I am considering UTH as my first back up.

The official letters seem to be going out, since I got my rejection one on Thursday. (Rejected 3 different ways--I GET IT, UT ) I didn't check the date on the letter though. My post office (less than 20min from UT-H's campus) routinely loses mail for days at a time, it seems.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
anyone having trouble accessing the page: my.uth.tmc.edu right now? it just keeps giving me an error page

No one is going to UTH here?????:shrug:
Hi, are you still considering UTH as your back-up option?
I was on the scholarship waitlist for UTH and then they offered me a new student scholarship - a $1000 award and in-state tuition for the first year.
I have gotten accepted to the MHS Epi program at Johns Hopkins and MPH Epi at Emory and trying really hard to choose between the two.
But I'm also thinking finances and if I should just pick UT Houston over the two, I'm an international candidate and this wouldn't lead to a lot of student debt.
I really liked the research etc. at Houston but ever since I applied, they have not been very responsive and the admissions rep told me they don't give out personal information when I asked her if she could connect me with an existing student. Quite conflicted now. Do you have any thoughts?

Hi, are you still considering UTH as your back-up option?
I was on the scholarship waitlist for UTH and then they offered me a new student scholarship - a $1000 award and in-state tuition for the first year.
I have gotten accepted to the MHS Epi program at Johns Hopkins and MPH Epi at Emory and trying really hard to choose between the two.
But I'm also thinking finances and if I should just pick UT Houston over the two, I'm an international candidate and this wouldn't lead to a lot of student debt.
I really liked the research etc. at Houston but ever since I applied, they have not been very responsive and the admissions rep told me they don't give out personal information when I asked her if she could connect me with an existing student. Quite conflicted now. Do you have any thoughts?
Yes, I am still considering it as a backup school. Though, They are too unresponsive. I am even not clear about the admission procedure. MyUTH is not very helpful portal. UTH admission committee is really callous in nature. I am very much pissed off on them.

Yes, I am still considering it as a backup school. Though, They are too unresponsive. I am even not clear about the admission procedure. MyUTH is not very helpful portal. UTH admission committee is really callous in nature. I am very much pissed off on them.
Yes, it is my backup school too! Yeah. I keep getting the same email repeatedly, another immunization hold reminder and yes, they are quite callous.
Have you accepted your Johns Hopkins admit yet?

@sphinx_93 , Yes, I have already accepted their offer. Do you know what will be the next step for Houston? I mean I want to accept the UT Houston offer too.

Can anyone help me regarding the FAFSA code of UT Houston? Is it G04951 or 013956?

Last edited:
@sphinx_93 , Yes, I have already accepted their offer. Do you know what will be the next step for Houston? I mean I want to accept the UT Houston offer too.
That is great. A quick question, is it alright to accept more than one university? I'm an international student and once I accept I would be getting i-20 documents from the accepted university. Would it be alright to get the i-20 document from more than one university?

That is great. A quick question, is it alright to accept more than one university? I'm an international student and once I accept I would be getting i-20 documents from the accepted university. Would it be alright to get the i-20 document from more than one university?

As far as I know, you can only accept one offer. You can only attend one program, and it would be unfair to the people who are wait-listed if you accept more than one offer. Also, once you accept an offer and pay the deposit, you are officially given a spot and they prepare you for matriculation. I don't know all that goes on internally, but if you are filling two spots, it is very disrespectful to the program you don't attend, as they spent all that time preparing you for matriculation and you are essentially ditching them. Not to mention you will lose one of your deposits.

There are some circumstances where you realize late in the game that you have to accept an offer at another institution after you've already reserved a spot elsewhere (family emergency, job offer, etc). These are rare circumstances in which it is okay to accept more than one offer as long as you explain your situation to the first school so they can cease the matriculation process and take someone off the wait-list. I would advise against abusing this, as I mentioned earlier, it is very disrespectful to both the program and the people on the wait-list.

As far as I know, you can only accept one offer. You can only attend one program, and it would be unfair to the people who are wait-listed if you accept more than one offer. Also, once you accept an offer and pay the deposit, you are officially given a spot and they prepare you for matriculation. I don't know all that goes on internally, but if you are filling two spots, it is very disrespectful to the program you don't attend, as they spent all that time preparing you for matriculation and you are essentially ditching them. Not to mention you will lose one of your deposits.

There are some circumstances where you realize late in the game that you have to accept an offer at another institution after you've already reserved a spot elsewhere (family emergency, job offer, etc). These are rare circumstances in which it is okay to accept more than one offer as long as you explain your situation to the first school so they can cease the matriculation process and take someone off the wait-list. I would advise against abusing this, as I mentioned earlier, it is very disrespectful to both the program and the people on the wait-list.

Thank you, pudu. I understand it is quite disrespectful and equates to depriving another suitable candidate from a deserving admit. I am a bit worried about the finances (like I mentioned I'm an international candidate). I'm working on finding out if I can get a student loan here that would cover the Johns Hopkins tuition else I am sticking to Houston. This will be done before the April fifteenth deadline and I intend to accept either one of them only!

I have seen your replies in the MPH Fall 2016 thread amongst others and they have been quite helpful, to understand the application process and getting to know about programs specifically. Thank you!

Thank you, pudu. I understand it is quite disrespectful and equates to depriving another suitable candidate from a deserving admit. I am a bit worried about the finances (like I mentioned I'm an international candidate). I'm working on finding out if I can get a student loan here that would cover the Johns Hopkins tuition else I am sticking to Houston. This will be done before the April fifteenth deadline and I intend to accept either one of them only!

I have seen your replies in the MPH Fall 2016 thread amongst others and they have been quite helpful, to understand the application process and getting to know about programs specifically. Thank you!

This is one of the things I hate about the process. They just don't give you enough time to weigh all of the factors and decide which school is best. If you are worried about tuition (and as an international student it's completely understandable) then you're probably better off going to UTH over Hopkins, especially since private loans can be horrendous. Even if you could get a student loan, the interest rates are so high it would take forever to pay back. Good luck in your decision.

@Pudu2009, Is there any way to defer my offer without accepting it? Specially for the UT Houston? I am preparing myself for the Hopkins. I have accepted their offer. But I am not sure that if I can manage all the tuition fee or not. It is kind of 60/40 probability. Hence, I want to secure another school for any unwanted situation. What should be the best step in this case?

@Pudu2009, Is there any way to defer my offer without accepting it? Specially for the UT Houston? I am preparing myself for the Hopkins. I have accepted their offer. But I am not sure that if I can manage all the tuition fee or not. It is kind of 60/40 probability. Hence, I want to secure another school for any unwanted situation. What should be the best step in this case?

Unfortunately, I can't answer that question for you as I don't work in admissions. I would say call up Hopkins and explain your situation to them. It's too late in your case, but generally you want to weigh all factors (cost, location, schedule, etc.) before accepting an offer, since you can't accept more than one.

Hi everyone,

I applied the week before the March 15th deadline for the Dallas program, so it makes sense that I haven't heard back. But does anyone have any idea as to when the latest is for when they send the admission decision? MyUTH still shows my application as "incomplete." The waiting game is torture.