UTMB Class of 2009!!!! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for section 8 housing, not all people who request housing vouchers are ghetto, sketchy people just as not everyone on welfare, food stamps, or other government subsidies are sketchy. However, when people who live there (Carleton Courtyard) tell about hearing loud disturbances not from parties but rather domestic or other sort, having their stuff stolen, or generally feeling a bit insecure when coming home from a long day studying, then I'd consider those factors when choosing a place to live. They live there, and they tell me about it so I'm just passing on information about good places to live. The last thing anyone wants happening to them is getting mugged in the morning right by Arlan's Market near school as what happened a few days ago to this one guy I'm acquainted with. So, there's no place at UTMB like the Castillian or whatever where lots of rich kids live; then again, Galveston's demographics are not like Austin's. Plus, many at UTMB are grad students who have to study hard unlike many in undergrad, so there aren't gonna be wild parties (many that is).

Members don't see this ad.

Rachelle02 said:
hey....im always the one with the bad outlook on stuff....haha....but when finding a place....think of move in costs....for example. if you go with a place that is privately owned...the owner usually wants the deposit...which is a full months rent...in a money order. So if you are like me...and still dont have a roommate ... be prepared to shell out the full cost of the apartment in order to hold it. I was looking a place that was cute and soooooo close to campus it hurt....and the owner wanted the full $650 right away in a money order and then the first months rent the day I moved in. Since im doing the pre-matric. thing...that meant $1300 out of my pocket in less than two months. And well....I'm a poor college student paying for everything on my own...so it was not practical for me. I dont know...its just something to think about. I was able to put down a $175 check as a deposit at the place I am going to live and they arent going to deposit it until I move in. Alright...Im just showing another side of the story.

Yeah, I've often got a downer outlook on things... whenever I complete a project, I bring it to my boss and start with "I don't think this worked..." Haha, I don't think anyone thinks you're elitist or anything for bringing up Section 8 - I was just doing a 2am rank after getting primed by what I perceived was some criticism earlier (it got cleared up, thanks to good communication).

I was just making light of how far things can be taken when you use one stigma/ criteria for judging a place. If I were really reticent to live next to "Rice People," particularly with all the bad "luck" I've had, I would probably not be making decisions based on the most information about a place.

Eeeks, I hate when owners try to gouge you - good landlords are totally worth their weight in gold. This year my roommate flooded our apartment, trying to save his shrimp (he's very partial to them ;)), and our landlord was like "oh well, ***t happens." And then proceeded to tell us a story about how Willy Nelson was arrested for drug possession. Weird, but good that my landlord was understanding.

Good you found a place that was more reasonable. Good luck with the moving! :luck:

GutsyGal said:
All this housing information is giving me a headache...or maybe it's this cold that I have. Either way--I have a headache. :oops:

*sending zinc lozenges of no more housing woes!*

Members don't see this ad :)
ChunkyMunky said:
You have me curious now. Of all the legs, why was yours petted? Can I pet your leg too?

My window was next to the door that the landlords "forgot" to fix (until after the break-in, that is :mad: ). Thus the leg-petter broke into my apartment (and a few others in the complex) and decided my leg was good enough. Thankfully I woke up, and after ascertaining that this guy was not "the phone company" as he claimed, got him arrested.

Ironically, the leg-petter's lawyer told the DA that his biggest reason for not wanting to go to jail, after breaking into all these gals' apartments, was that he was trying to get into medical school. :rolleyes: So hey, I guess this guy and chunkmonkey have something in common after all. :cool:

fotolilith said:
My window was next to the door that the landlords "forgot" to fix (until after the break-in, that is :mad: ). Thus the leg-petter broke into my apartment (and a few others in the complex) and decided my leg was good enough. Thankfully I woke up, and after ascertaining that this guy was not "the phone company" as he claimed, got him arrested.

Ironically, the leg-petter's lawyer told the DA that his biggest reason for not wanting to go to jail, after breaking into all these gals' apartments, was that he was trying to get into medical school. :rolleyes: So hey, I guess this guy and chunkmonkey have something in common after all. :cool:

I have a feeling this is going to be brought up often.

Medical students are so entertaining.

AQP said:
I have a feeling this is going to be brought up often.

Medical students are so entertaining.

What will be brought up? "Well, I could have spent my life breaking into girls' apartments, but my dreams were dashed by medical school!" Are you saying we're going to have a bunch of creepy classmates? :scared:

fotolilith said:
What will be brought up? "Well, I could have spent my life breaking into girls' apartments, but my dreams were dashed by medical school!" Are you saying we're going to have a bunch of creepy classmates? :scared:

We might! And it definately won't be me.

:p

That's my contribution for the day.

AQP said:
We might! And it definately won't be me.

We'll, it's always the quiet ones... which includes just about everyone on this thread right now. :)

fotolilith said:
We'll, it's always the quiet ones... which includes just about everyone on this thread right now. :)

It's the senioritis kicking in.

Or at least for me it is.

Hi, are there any UT Austin folks in here that could assist me?

I'm done with all my pre reqs for pre med courses besides PHY. I took PHY 302K and it's lab counterpart (algebra based) and have heard some ppl say it's ok to take algebra based physics.....but I've read several school sites saying they will not accept courses that state "for non-science majors only' which is what 302K is......

so do most ppl at UT take 317K or 303K or is 302K alright? Should i retake phy 1 calc based again?

Thanks for your help!!

TexHealth said:
so do most ppl at UT take 317K or 303K or is 302K alright? Should i retake phy 1 calc based again?

Thanks for your help!!

I'm not sure about that answer, but if i were you, i'd go talk to the HPO office for a definite answer...they know their stuff.

TexHealth said:
Hi, are there any UT Austin folks in here that could assist me?

I'm done with all my pre reqs for pre med courses besides PHY. I took PHY 302K and it's lab counterpart (algebra based) and have heard some ppl say it's ok to take algebra based physics.....but I've read several school sites saying they will not accept courses that state "for non-science majors only' which is what 302K is......

Thanks for your help!!

Are there 3 types of Physics? Algebra/ Calculus, and non-science? I KNOW UTMB takes algebra and calculus-based, but they might draw a line with physics for the allied health/ non-science. But then again, they often take course credit on a case by case basis. It has not been unheard of for a med school to credit you for a course you didn't *specifically* take, as long as you took something equivalent (this happens more with lab credits, tho).

I took physics at summer community college, and UTMB still didn't kick me to the curb. The only thing I regret is that HCC STILL hasn't sent in my transcript... ARGGHHH!!!! I forgot what that translated to at UT Austin, I think it was algebra-based physics.

If you want to be absolutely certain, call up UTMB enrollment services directly. PHONE: (409) 772-1215 They've been way more patient with my questions that I deserved, and they are guaranteed to give you a more accurate answer than the HPO office (which often left me knashing my teeth!).

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
ScubaSteve2 said:
I'm not sure about that answer, but if i were you, i'd go talk to the HPO office for a definite answer...they know their stuff.

Really? Back in my day...
Well, anyways, just goes to show you that maybe old dogs can be taught new tricks. I remember friends who went there to ask about DO, public health, volunteering in non-hospital settings, and the like, only to be met with blank stares. But hey, maybe they finally got the funding they needed from the other colleges, and can now afford to train the staff not to scare/ mislead the pre-health students. Not that I'm bitter or anything... ;)

fotolilith said:
Really? Back in my day...
Well, anyways, just goes to show you that maybe old dogs can be taught new tricks. I remember friends who went there to ask about DO, public health, volunteering in non-hospital settings, and the like, only to be met with blank stares. But hey, maybe they finally got the funding they needed from the other colleges, and can now afford to train the staff not to scare/ mislead the pre-health students. Not that I'm bitter or anything... ;)

Well, erm... I think they have a particularly good advisor then. I know one of my advisors recommended that I take chemistry, biology, and physics at the same time on top of about five more credit hours. When I asked whether that would be GPA suicide, she commented that med schools don't like people with 4.0s.

She was gone the next year. Coincidence...?

AQP said:
Well, erm... I think they have a particularly good advisor then. I know one of my advisors recommended that I take chemistry, biology, and physics at the same time on top of about five more credit hours. When I asked whether that would be GPA suicide, she commented that med schools don't like people with 4.0s.

She was gone the next year. Coincidence...?

Yeah, I remember sitting in the waiting area my first year when a pre-med came out with a strange look on his face. He was like "Yeah, my advisor just told me that I should take Physics, Physics Lab, Ochem, Ochem lab, and the bio labs/ courses all in the same semester!" :wow: He just kind of shook his head in disbelief.

I generally distrust anyone peddling absolutes (like you HAVE to work in a hospital/ get a 4.0/ not get a 4.0/ be a science major/ be a non-science major, etc.

It's funny, because last year I dealt with the HPO staff again because of some pre-health club liaison work I was doing. One of the pre-health advisors was very candid and was like "I know we don't do a very good job, but part of the reason is due to funding. We have roughly 2000 people we track as pre-meds, not counting the other health fields, and only about 4 advisors to handle them. Most advisors in the other colleges have at most 300 or so students that they are assigned. On top of that, the college of natural sciences is trying to cut funding to the HPO, because nearly half of the students we advise are not CONS majors and yet none of the other schools pay for our services. Thus, they will not pay for extended training or more advisors."

While I appreciated the candor, and I could see why they had started asking other colleges to help pay for the HPO, that still seemed like a cop-out. Oh well, maybe that is all they needed. There did seem to be some improvement before I graduated.

Some friends are thinking about getting tablet PCs to bring to class. Do you think they're worth the investment? How useful would they be in med school?

fotolilith said:
Yeah, I remember sitting in the waiting area my first year when a pre-med came out with a strange look on his face. He was like "Yeah, my advisor just told me that I should take Physics, Physics Lab, Ochem, Ochem lab, and the bio labs/ courses all in the same semester!" :wow: He just kind of shook his head in disbelief.

Am I the only insane person who actually did this (against the HPO's advice)? I guess I fall into the sad category of "Gunner Without Results."

UTKB said:
Am I the only insane person who actually did this (against the HPO's advice)? I guess I fall into the sad category of "Gunner Without Results."

Wow, I don't think I could do that. Then again, I guess that's what medical school is going to be about so it's good training.

I am a Liberal Arts major so I was able to comfortably spread out my required premedical courses over 4 years. I finished my last intro-level premedical course (bio lab 205L) just last semester. I got to use my senior status to boss around all the uptight freshmen premeds. It was nice. :)

UTKB said:

It certainly depends on the person/ situation. I think I remember that person being an arts major, and in general you have to take 4+ hour labs to fulfill that major *on top* of the premed requirements (so, something like ~30 hours of class a week).

And then again, some people do better when they've got heavy class loads, if they can balance their time.

Furthermore, I don't think you're the only "insane person" entering the UTMB c/o 2009. ;)

kaleidoscope83 said:
I got to use my senior status to boss around all the uptight freshmen premeds. It was nice. :)

Haha, I love that feeling. :smuggrin:

fotolilith said:
Furthermore, I don't think you're the only "insane person" entering the UTMB c/o 2009. ;)

I just had the mental image of half of the class just randomly twitching during orientation.

AQP said:
I just had the mental image of half of the class just randomly twitching during orientation.

That's probably due to the electric current the admin is gonna send through our metal bleachers - they gotta start the med student brainwashing early, ya know.

AQP said:

what are you implying?

GutsyGal said:
Some friends are thinking about getting tablet PCs to bring to class. Do you think they're worth the investment? How useful would they be in med school?

a small but significant # of students have laptops in class. most lecture halls are fitted with wireless.

it's useful, but it's not required. if you are one of those who like to have the lecture powerpoints in front of you in lecture, then go for it.

buying the class of 2008 scribes will be the best investment you make. I know many who have done very well in courses relying mainly on scribes and lecture powerpoints.

medstudent123 said:
what are you implying?

Just a funny mental image I had about something that probably wouldn't happen, that's all.

UTKB said:
Hell yeah! I just found out I'm going to Vegas in June! Wooohooo! :laugh: :p :love: :clap: :hardy: :horns: :barf:

Hey congrats! Do the smilies represent the progression of your future experiences there (ie - going from laughing to barfing?). :smuggrin:

fotolilith said:
Hey congrats! Do the smilies represent the progression of your future experiences there (ie - going from laughing to barfing?). :smuggrin:

Haha...that's what I thought when I saw it. She goes from laughing and having fun :)laugh: :p) to having a little MORE fun :)love: :clap: ) (perhaps with a special someone, who knows ;)) to going to a rocking party :)hardy: :horns: ) where, after consuming a little too much bubbly, she :barf:

It's like a story!

UTKB said:
Hell yeah! I just found out I'm going to Vegas in June! Wooohooo! :laugh: :p :love: :clap: :hardy: :horns: :barf:

When in june are you gonna be there? I'm planning a trip with a friend right now and it looks like we're probably going to be there the 1st or 2nd week of June. Maybe i'll see you at the tables and we'll show vegas how to roll UTMB style :D

Haha, yeah, the smilies will probably be the story of my time there. Y'all are so perceptive!!

Gonna be there June 15-17. It's already paid for, and not by me or my BF!! It's buttering-up of my BF to make up for his hellacious hours. It worked. :smuggrin: Just so happy I get to take a real vacation before medscrewl.

Doobiecow7 said:
When in june are you gonna be there? I'm planning a trip with a friend right now and it looks like we're probably going to be there the 1st or 2nd week of June. Maybe i'll see you at the tables and we'll show vegas how to roll UTMB style :D

We'll be staying at the Bellagio. You?

UTKB said:
We'll be staying at the Bellagio. You?

we're not sure yet, we're still comparing prices and stuff. one of the only conditions we have is that the hotel has a nice pool so we can lounge and do nothing during the day.

Doobiecow7 said:
we're not sure yet, we're still comparing prices and stuff. one of the only conditions we have is that the hotel has a nice pool so we can lounge and do nothing during the day.

Mandalay Bay has a great pool~ d(^_^d)

GutsyGal said:
Haha...that's what I thought when I saw it. She goes from laughing and having fun :)laugh: :p) to having a little MORE fun :)love: :clap: ) (perhaps with a special someone, who knows ;)) to going to a rocking party :)hardy: :horns: ) where, after consuming a little too much bubbly, she :barf:

It's like a story!

Yeah, but you know...what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. ;-)

Even better, what happens in UTMB, stays in UTMB! :)

Hey everybody,

So I've been all gung-ho about starting UTMB with you guys this fall...but I just found out today that I'll be deferring. I applied to this program to teach English in Japan for a year (Japan Exchange and Teaching program) and was notified today that I'll be able go to Japan and still keep my spot at UTMB.

It looks like I'll be a year behind you all. I was looking forward to meeting everybody next year, but hopefully I'll see you guys around the UTMB campus once I start.

By the way, once you become wise MSII's, please don't be mean to us MSI's. Don't laugh at the scared/nervous freshmeat and tell us lies to mess us up in our first year of medical school. Help us out from time to time. :)

And I'll continue to post on this forum because I think I still need to turn in paperwork, forms, etc. Plus you guys are cool and always have such stimulating conversation so I want to add my two cents. :D

:( We've lost our first classmate... how sad, did we do something to scare you away?! Please forgive us, (if you don't we won't be nice :p )

:D Congratulations, have fun in Japan, that will be awesome. We will miss you but we'll get to see you soon enough. As I get old'er' time starts to move so quickly. Have a great great time!

Aww...sorry that you're not going to be our classmate next year! You're gonna have such a good time in Japan though. How exciting! You should bring us back some souvenirs. ;)

Hey foto! Good luck on that ride this weekend! :thumbup:

so how hard was the process in getting them to allow you to defer for a year?
i'm starting to like the idea of living a year in vegas and starting med school in 2006...

kaleidoscope83 said:
Hey everybody,

So I've been all gung-ho about starting UTMB with you guys this fall...but I just found out today that I'll be deferring. I applied to this program to teach English in Japan for a year (Japan Exchange and Teaching program) and was notified today that I'll be able go to Japan and still keep my spot at UTMB.

It looks like I'll be a year behind you all. I was looking forward to meeting everybody next year, but hopefully I'll see you guys around the UTMB campus once I start.

By the way, once you become wise MSII's, please don't be mean to us MSI's. Don't laugh at the scared/nervous freshmeat and tell us lies to mess us up in our first year of medical school. Help us out from time to time. :)

And I'll continue to post on this forum because I think I still need to turn in paperwork, forms, etc. Plus you guys are cool and always have such stimulating conversation so I want to add my two cents. :D

Well at least you'll be doing something you really like. Living in Japan would probably one of the things that I would like to do sometime in my life. So :thumbup: for what you're doing.

Doobiecow7 said:
so how hard was the process in getting them to allow you to defer for a year?
i'm starting to like the idea of living a year in vegas and starting med school in 2006...

Hey everybody, thanks for all the congrats/encouragement!

It actually wasn't difficult to defer. I just had to send an email to one of the Deans and she brought my request to the adcom. A certain number of administrators have to ok it at a meeting. I found out in early April that I got into JET but they didn't go over my request until yesterday.

As for living in Vegas for one year, I'm sure if you found an "interesting" job, they'd let you take a year off....UTMB has a pretty flexible deferment policy (most TX schools I've heard make it pretty difficult for you to defer) --> yet another reason why UTMB is AWESOME. :)

i have had the pleasure of living in japan, twice. the first was as a corpsman stationed in okinawa with the marines. the second was on a national science foundation grant to study at the brain science institute in tokyo. i hope you enjoy the land and the people as much as i. and should you be there in august, do not miss the war remembrance in hiroshima on the 6th. i felt no resentment from the people there and the ceremony was very moving.

mike

bump

Woohoo! School's almost over!!!!!!!!!

Page 4?! Page FOUR?! This world has ceased to make sense... :p

Did everyone have a nice weekend?

kaleidoscope83 said:
Hey everybody,

Hey congrats! I guess there goes my potential roommate. *Sniff* But I'm sure you'll have a great time. Btw, here's my first bit of MSII advice... the attic of the anatomy lab is a REAL fun place to be after midnight. Trust me on that one. :smuggrin:

GutsyGal said:
Aww...sorry that you're not going to be our classmate next year! You're gonna have such a good time in Japan though. How exciting! You should bring us back some souvenirs. ;)

Hey foto! Good luck on that ride this weekend! :thumbup:

My AIDS bike Ride was AWESOME! The weather was kinda dreary, but the family atmosphere/ support/ encouragement more than made up for it. There were even chiropractors and massage therapists at the finish line to help my muscles release the pain from those freakin huge hills.
:D

I did learn a new philosophy this weekend from one of the other riders:
"I never met a hill I couldn't walk up." I'm so lucky that I had great friends volunteering as support along the route, along with other great friends who kindly donated to this wonderful cause (such as 'she who cannot be name' - :) ).

fotolilith said:
My AIDS bike Ride was AWESOME! The weather was kinda dreary, but the family atmosphere/ support/ encouragement more than made up for it. There were even chiropractors and massage therapists at the finish line to help my muscles release the pain from those freakin huge hills.
:D

I did learn a new philosophy this weekend from one of the other riders:
"I never met a hill I couldn't walk up." I'm so lucky that I had great friends volunteering as support along the route, along with other great friends who kindly donated to this wonderful cause (such as 'she who cannot be name' - :) ).
So did you manage to ride the whole way? :)

Very very proud of you fotolilith! :thumbup:

Fotolilith is AWESOME! That's amazing. You have my respect, I can't even walk a mile without crawling.

Btw, thanks for the email contact with the current UTMB-er that deferred last year. He's been very helpful. :)

alright kids,

i am a soon to be 2nd yr and i would be happy to answer all your questions....

only criteria is you have to be a hot female.
we need more of them, im counting on your class.

and no, im not even joking about only helping the hot wimmenz.

Status
Not open for further replies.