UTMB Class of 2009!!!! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LostDoktor said:
Yay...finally got a big official packet from utmb... whooop!

I got one too, but it went to the wrong address. What's in it?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's an ad for a condo at Port-aux-Prince (condos off of 4th street right by the Yacht Club or about a 5 minute drive to a parking space on campus)

i was wondering if anyone was interested in renting a 2 bedroom/1bath at Port Aux Prince for $725 (furnished).
please email me at: [email protected] if interested

Does UTMB have a student insurance option for their students? I've looked on the UTMB website and came across:

http://www.student-resources.net/

I take it that UTMB does not have its own insurance methods (but I wanted to double check and ask about it on SDN). For those of you on this insurance, how is it? What does it cover, what isn't covered?

Btw, which plan should we pick? There are three options on the website:
College Student Insurance
K-12 Student Insurance
Short Term Major Medical

Any specifically for professional school students?

Members don't see this ad :)
medstudent123 said:
i actually found that galveston's air to be more allergen-free, compared to houston. hopefully it'll be better for you too.

Halleluiah! I don't know what I would have done if you had said it gets worse in Galveston. My allergies in Austin are so bad, I may have had to skip out on medical school if it meant another 4 years of sneezing/coughing/runny nose/headache/itchy, watery eyes. Thank goodness that won't be the case.

Now let's hope I don't develop an allergy to some rare weed indigenous only to Galveston.....heh, you don't have anything like that, do you?

hey....how is the weather in galveston...on average...because all the times that i have been there...it has been sunny and beautiful..was i just lucky? how is the humidity? I was in houston last summer...and I hated it because it was so freakin' humid!!!!! :mad:

AQP said:
I got one too, but it went to the wrong address. What's in it?

Hints/Advice,
Address change sheet (you might need this one =D),
Immunization forms/health information,
transcript reminder,
tuition payment information,
student parking information/forms,
"Newcomers" packet of Galveston realtors, banks, restaurants, etc, and
Quest participation form.

Rachelle02 said:
hey....how is the weather in galveston...on average...because all the times that i have been there...it has been sunny and beautiful..was i just lucky? how is the humidity? I was in houston last summer...and I hated it because it was so freakin' humid!!!!! :mad:

during non-summer months it's fine, or maybe i'm just used to it by now, but if you thought houston summers were humid... heh... i dunno what to tell you ;)

kaleidoscope83 said:
Halleluiah! I don't know what I would have done if you had said it gets worse in Galveston. My allergies in Austin are so bad, I may have had to skip out on medical school if it meant another 4 years of sneezing/coughing/runny nose/headache/itchy, watery eyes. Thank goodness that won't be the case.

Now let's hope I don't develop an allergy to some rare weed indigenous only to Galveston.....heh, you don't have anything like that, do you?

every couple months or so, i develop severe allergic rash and can't breathe and pass out for a few minutes, but i'm usually ok after i crawl out of my puddle of urine...

just kidding.

the only thing that i'm allergic to these days is the schoolwork. :D

I was wondering if the cable TV in galveston shows the Houston sports team games (both home and away games). One of the only negative things i can say about living in Austin in college is that the cable TV only covers stupid Spurs and Rangers games, with a very occasional Astros game thrown in there. Will Galveston deprive me of my beloved astros and rockets and texans for another four years?

I'm missing the Helpful Hints section of the packet UTMB just sent out. Its listed as the first item in the packet on the memo. Did everyone else get this?

superunknown said:
I'm missing the Helpful Hints section of the packet UTMB just sent out. Its listed as the first item in the packet on the memo. Did everyone else get this?

hey,
i got the helpful hints pages in my packet. It's 2 pages front and back. here's a quick summary of all the stuff in there:

-orientation is mandatory. when you check in, it is how you declare your intent to matriculate
- tuition and fees due at time of registration
- make sure you get your picture taken during orientation and also dress nice for it because the picture is used for many purposes
- submit health records by july 1
- send transcript in after you graduate
- orientation is aug22-26; quest is aug 19-20; classes start aug 29
- gives a list of radio stations to listen to if there is a hurricane during orientation
- section going over campus security and encouraging us to be safe and report crimes in Galveston
- then there's a list of phone numbers for offices around campus

i guess call 409-772-1215 for the office of enrollment services to have them send you the sheets

:D Yay, I have officially made my first new friend. Today Fotolith and I met for lunch. We went to Korean food. I've never had Korean, it was alright, but the conversations were much better. We talked about all of you guys and can't wait to meet! I just thought I would send out some smiley face news, instead of that boring mailing (it kinda disappointed me). I am excited for Quest though. I'll be there but you all will already have friends from pre-matric :( . Oh well you'll have to make room for one more ---> ME :love:

Doobiecow7 said:
I was wondering if the cable TV in galveston shows the Houston sports team games (both home and away games). One of the only negative things i can say about living in Austin in college is that the cable TV only covers stupid Spurs and Rangers games, with a very occasional Astros game thrown in there. Will Galveston deprive me of my beloved astros and rockets and texans for another four years?

galveston programming should be similar to houston.

are you a rockets fan? you know they haven't been showing too many rockets games on viewable channels. (FSNSW, what the heck? NBALP?)

Members don't see this ad :)
medstudent123 said:

are you a rockets fan? you know they haven't been showing too many rockets games on viewable channels. (FSNSW, what the heck? NBALP?)

Rockets Baybee!

Hey anyone want to go check out Yao's restaurant in Houston with me sometime? :D :thumbup:

medstudent123 said:

Hell yeah i'm a rockets fan! FSNSW is fox sports network southwest, which in houston is channel 37 and is part of the basic cable channels. Is that not the case in galveston? i know they also show rockets games in houston on channel 2 or whatever KNWS is. I looked up the time warner tv listings for galveston, and it just took me to the Houston lineup. hopefully, that's a good sign.

daysleeprx, i went to Yao's restaurant over spring break. The general reviews i've read so far have complained about the mediocre food and high prices. I thought the food was pretty good, and it was slightly pricey, but i didnt care cuz my parents were paying :D . if you go, make sure you check out Yao's private room. It's got oversize tables and chairs so 7'6" people can sit comfortably. My sister who is around 5'5" sat in the chair and her feet werent close to touching the ground.

daysleeprx said:
Rockets Baybee!

Hey anyone want to go check out Yao's restaurant in Houston with me sometime? :D :thumbup:

Rockets :thumbup: !

I didn't even know Yao owned a restaurant.

arierty said:
Yay, I have officially made my first new friend. Today Fotolith and I met for lunch. We went to Korean food. I've never had Korean, it was alright, but the conversations were much better. We talked about all of you guys and can't wait to meet! I just thought I would send out some smiley face news, instead of that boring mailing (it kinda disappointed me). I am excited for Quest though. I'll be there but you all will already have friends from pre-matric . Oh well you'll have to make room for one more ---> ME

Awh, now I really want some Korean. I tried a Korean barbeque place in Houston once, it was very good. However, Thai food = good.

If anyone needs suggestions on places to eat, I know a BUNCH of good places in Houston. I actually think that's what got me into UTMB because I spent the whole time talking to one of my interviewers about places that were good. I guess I'm one of those crazed food people.

And erm... what's Quest?

AQP said:
For future reference, I know BUNCHES of place in Houston to eat. I actually think that's what got me into UTMB because I spent the whole time talking to one of my interviewers about places that were good. I guess I'm one of those crazed food people.

Haha...thats a cool interview topic. One of my interviewers talked to me for a FULL hour about ebola and how it is transmitted and how fast it kills, etc...it was actually interesting...

arierty said:
:D Yay, I have officially made my first new friend. Today Fotolith and I met for lunch. We went to Korean food. I've never had Korean, it was alright, but the conversations were much better. We talked about all of you guys and can't wait to meet! I just thought I would send out some smiley face news, instead of that boring mailing (it kinda disappointed me). I am excited for Quest though. I'll be there but you all will already have friends from pre-matric :( . Oh well you'll have to make room for one more ---> ME :love:
I'm jealous! I've yet to meet any of my classmates and I'm not doing pre-matric. Wish Galveston had some kinda get-together before orientation. I know Houston has one this coming weekend and TCOM has one later in April.

uh hmm...*cough cough* What exactly has foto been telling you? If it's bad, it's all lies! :) You should know she's a compulsive liar and has been in therapy for years for this problem. If it's good...well, it's only the truth. ;)

Btw, we are the CHAMPIONS, my friends... :D

Hey anyone in G-town, or just Texas even I was curious about how car insurance rates are down there. I just tried an instant quote and it was ridiculous, like 3 times what I expected! So I am really scared (me ---> :confused: :eek: :scared: ) All at the same time. Anyway, right now I pay 300/6 months. Later though I'll be financing a car so I know it will be more, I expected 100/month, but was quoted 250/month. I have a perfect record :p please reassure me!!

Speaking of cars, i hear that living by the saltwater in galveston is terrible for your car, causing rust and screwing up the paint job. have any of you people in galveston experienced this yet and are there any preventative measures you suggest?

GutsyGal said:
Me too! They get worse when I go home to Houston for visits. I get teased about my multiple kitten-like sneezes...I have no idea what they're talking about! :p

*rubbing hands* excellent! I have found your weakness, gg!:)
BTW, try googling "Tramonte Realty" for a listing of rental/ housing options.

thirdiblin83 said:
I went to Galveston this past weekend..and well, most of the apts I saw close to campus either have a long waiting list or look kinda sketchy...esp that Villa Marina, which I heard has a really bad reputation.
Isn't that the place you were looking at, daysleeprx? :smuggrin:

Yeah, there are some local realtors around Galveston that list online, or you can drive around the area.

QUESTION: Has anyone driven around the neighborhood that on the opposite side of Broadway from UTMB? (south, I think). What do you think of that area?

AQP said:
I can't be a gunner if I'm too lazy though. That and I'm addicted to sleep.
I see the beginning of a beautiful friendship... based on mutual sloth. And you know good places to eat in Houston... now I'm REALLY glad to know ya!

superunknown said:
No big loss. They just printed out some list from an online visitor's guide.

arierty said:
:D Yay, I have officially made my first new friend. Today Fotolith and I met for lunch.
YEAH!! :love:

GutsyGal said:
uh hmm...*cough cough* What exactly has foto been telling you? If it's bad, it's all lies! :) You should know she's a compulsive liar and has been in therapy for years for this problem. If it's good...well, it's only the truth. ;)

Oh she knows ALLLLLLL about you.
And if she crosses the street (and herself) when you walk up... well, I have nothing to do with it.

arierty said:
Hey anyone in G-town, or just Texas even I was curious about how car insurance rates are down there. I expected 100/month, but was quoted 250/month. I have a perfect record :p please reassure me!!

In TX your insurance generally goes down when you turn 21 and you're female (25 for guys...haha). Try geico, progressive, etc, because $250/mo sounds crazy.

And Doobie: I've heard that too, but no one I know at UTMB has had that problem. Maybe if you mistake your car for a dune buggy and decide to run it along the beach. Newer cars with complete paint jobs don't generally see that much damage with only 4 years on the beach. :luck:

thirdiblin83 said:
I went to Galveston this past weekend..and well, most of the apts I saw close to campus either have a long waiting list or look kinda sketchy...esp that Villa Marina, which I heard has a really bad reputation.

thirdiblin83 said:
I saw both Villa Marina and Casa Caribe when I was there last time. Villa Marina looks nice...utilities are all paid for so that was a good thing. I didn't really check out Casa Caribe...it looked very institutionalized from the outside which was a big turnoff. I'm going to be in Galveston from Friday/Saturday...I'll keep my fingers cross and hope to find something b/c clock is ticking and I have to move in by May :-(

Good luck with apartment hunting fotolith...lemme know what you end up finding*~

Meh, either way...at least I got housing already taken care of. :thumbup:

the beach shouldn't do anything to your car unless it is parked underneath a bunch of trees (it'll get shat on pretty good). my car is covered in dust from the continual sea breeze, especially at night time. so, it's hard to keep the car clean if parked outside even under a covered area. also, sea gulls poop on your car along the sea wall sometimes. right now, there's a great breeze outside, and it's pretty nice to drive along the seawall during the night time. just watch out for them bikers that travel in packs as they are slow cruisers. oh, don't come looking for apartments the weekend of april 15th because that's beach party weekend or what is formerly kappa weekend. the island is literally SWAMPED by partygoers, and lots of residents either leave the island or shut themselves inside and lots of shops close down during that time. but if you're into the ghetto and hip-hop/meat-market scene, come check out the lowrider shows, the rap concerts, and herds of scantily-clad women being chased around by mobs of drunken men.

Barca said:
the beach shouldn't do anything to your car unless it is parked underneath a bunch of trees (it'll get shat on pretty good). my car is covered in dust from the continual sea breeze, especially at night time. so, it's hard to keep the car clean if parked outside even under a covered area. also, sea gulls poop on your car along the sea wall sometimes. right now, there's a great breeze outside, and it's pretty nice to drive along the seawall during the night time. just watch out for them bikers that travel in packs as they are slow cruisers. oh, don't come looking for apartments the weekend of april 15th because that's beach party weekend or what is formerly kappa weekend. the island is literally SWAMPED by partygoers, and lots of residents either leave the island or shut themselves inside and lots of shops close down during that time. but if you're into the ghetto and hip-hop/meat-market scene, come check out the lowrider shows, the rap concerts, and herds of scantily-clad women being chased around by mobs of drunken men.

thanks for the response about the car and also about the info about beach party weekend. I was contemplating coming that weekend but now I'm not. I guess i'm not going to be able to look for housing until May. hopefully there will be a place for me to live or else I'll be living like Tom Hanks in Castaway on the galveston beach. I'll be the smelly kid in class, and all I'll able to eat and store in my tent is :spam: :barf:

Hey! Just to let people know...I am going to look at apartments/houses/condos/etc. this saturday. Since I am doing the PREP thing and i have yet to get a room at a frat for the program, I will most likely be looking for an apt to move into over the summer as well. I will be looking for a 2br/2ba ....so anyone who might be needing a roommate or is in the same situation with summer housing....I might have a room to let! alright guys...have a great day!

Doobiecow7 said:
thanks for the response about the car and also about the info about beach party weekend. I was contemplating coming that weekend but now I'm not. I guess i'm not going to be able to look for housing until May. hopefully there will be a place for me to live or else I'll be living like Tom Hanks in Castaway on the galveston beach. I'll be the smelly kid in class, and all I'll able to eat and store in my tent is :spam: :barf:

You can crash with me Doobie :D :thumbup:

i'm new. i'm at ut-austin. i think i should probably look for a place to live in galveston soon.

hi.

I'm gonna be in Galveson this weekend too!

just a reminder for those who are visiting galveston tomorrow that the med frat TKY is having a white trash trailer bash party at the TKY mansion by Arlan's market. It should be loud and messy, so swing by tomorrow night cuz we'll have lots of cheap beer, Boone's farm wine, chickens running around the yard, slip n'slide, and whatever else. great way to meet the med students when we're destressings and see that med school life is just not all work.

UTKB said:
Me too! You better not get in my way!!! :p
Which day are you going? I'll try to avoid you as much as possible...;)

GutsyGal said:
Which day are you going? I'll try to avoid you as much as possible...;)

I'm going Saturday. Hopefully I can find something then and not have to take time off work to go during the week sometime. I'll be with an apartment locator. My parents invited themselves along :rolleyes:, but hopefully they won't get in the way! How can I say no to my parents :)? A four-person parade... :(

UTKB said:
I'm going Saturday. Hopefully I can find something then and not have to take time off work to go during the week sometime. I'll be with an apartment locator. My parents invited themselves along :rolleyes:, but hopefully they won't get in the way! How can I say no to my parents :)? A four-person parade... :(
haha...maybe my parents and I should just tail you and see if the apartment locator shows you any good spots. ;)

Well GG, it's a good thing you stayed out of my way :p :cool:! j/k. So I put my name on a waitlist for a complex on the West End. Let's hope this works :thumbup:!

It was a beautiful, sunny day in Galveston yesterday. No lease or waiting list signed as of yet unfortunately...people at the frats were extremely nice though--even got a free anatomy book! :p

Did anybody get on the list for Carelton Courtyard? Oh, and I'm still seriously thinking about sharing a 2 bed/2 bath...

I'm living in Beta, is anyone else going to live there? Anyone goto the parties there this weekend?

GutsyGal said:
It was a beautiful, sunny day in Galveston yesterday. No lease or waiting list signed as of yet unfortunately...people at the frats were extremely nice though--even got a free anatomy book! :p

Did anybody get on the list for Carelton Courtyard? Oh, and I'm still seriously thinking about sharing a 2 bed/2 bath...

Well, it was a beautiful day in San Francisco... oh, sorry, was I bragging? :smuggrin:

You got a free book?! *pout* Oh well, they were very nice for me too - I'm staying at PHI CHI for pre matriculation at least.

BTW, funniest thing, I met another MS-0 UTMBer on my plane ride home. Small world. :)

fotolilith said:
Well, it was a beautiful day in San Francisco... oh, sorry, was I bragging? :smuggrin:

You got a free book?! *pout* Oh well, they were very nice for me too - I'm staying at PHI CHI for pre matriculation at least.

BTW, funniest thing, I met another MS-0 UTMBer on my plane ride home. Small world. :)
Welcome back! Did you decide if you're gonna stay on at Phi Chi after the summer?

Remember this time last year when we were all stressing about the MCAT? Aren't you glad that we all got into med school and have no worries (for now) except where to live next year? :p

hey guys...so it looks like i am not going to be able to stay at the frat for the summer...but I have an apartment lined up instead. It is on 69th street.. :( but I couldn't find anything closer...they are all booked up and Carleton courtyard is a section 8 housing place....so some of the residents there aren't exactly safe. The best stuff is pretty far from campus...well only like 6 miles ...and if u guys keep waiting...those might even be booked...so start looking fast...or find a person with place already...like me!! anyways...so the place i got was a large 2-2 ocean view with patio. It is gonna be about 450 per month. So if anyone has not found a place for the PREP thing and for summer...let me know!!

Rachelle02 said:
hey guys...so it looks like i am not going to be able to stay at the frat for the summer...but I have an apartment lined up instead. It is on 69th street.. :( but I couldn't find anything closer...they are all booked up and Carleton courtyard is a section 8 housing place....so some of the residents there aren't exactly safe. The best stuff is pretty far from campus...well only like 6 miles ...and if u guys keep waiting...those might even be booked...so start looking fast...or find a person with place already...like me!! anyways...so the place i got was a large 2-2 ocean view with patio. It is gonna be about 450 per month. So if anyone has not found a place for the PREP thing and for summer...let me know!!
How come you can't stay at a frat?

GutsyGal said:
Remember this time last year when we were all stressing about the MCAT? Aren't you glad that we all got into med school and have no worries (for now) except where to live next year? :p

I have a buddy that's cramming four years of undergraduate into five. He was laughing at us when we had to take the MCAT... oh how sweet revenge is.

:smuggrin:

GutsyGal said:
How come you can't stay at a frat?

there aren't anymore rooms left. And one of them gave preference to people who were planning on staying at the house the whole year. And...there were only two that I could choose from (co-eds). Oh well...i guess i have to go hunting for a roommate!

the thing with housing right now is that lots of people who are utmb students are also looking for other (and better) places to live. everyone should seriously look for housing before all the good places get sucked up. villa marina is an ok place, but the units off of ferry road suck according to my friend. i've seen ads for rooms at marina pointe condos around utmb (it's on 4th street right by port-au-prince and the yacht club. a lot of people live on the west end of the island but then realize how much more convenient it is to find housing near utmb. one complex near utmb that might have a few units off 1st street and mechanic rd is mcdaniels properties, and it has a great reputation due to its great owner.

GutsyGal said:
Welcome back! Did you decide if you're gonna stay on at Phi Chi after the summer?

Well, now this thread's got me freaked about fall housing, so I told them I am interested in staying there in the fall. Worse comes to worse, if I get tired I can always come visit my good friend, GG, right? :)

Hey, I've stayed in the UT Jester Dorms in college (allegedly designed by a prison architect), so PHI CHI is like club med comparatively.

fotolilith said:
Well, now this thread's got me freaked about fall housing, so I told them I am interested in staying there in the fall. Worse comes to worse, if I get tired I can always come visit my good friend, GG, right? :)

Hey, I've stayed in the UT Jester Dorms in college (allegedly designed by a prison architect), so PHI CHI is like club med comparatively.

Jester smells like pee. :barf:

daysleeprx said:
Jester smells like pee. :barf:

Now normally I would disagree with such generalizations... but there was a certain stair well near my room that always carried a "delicate" aroma of urine. I was convinced that some frat-rejects were micturating in there every week. :thumbdown:

fotolilith said:
Now normally I would disagree with such generalizations... but there was a certain stair well near my room that always carried a "delicate" aroma of urine. I was convinced that some frat-rejects were micturating in there every week. :thumbdown:

i lived in jester one year too. my room was one of the rooms tucked behind the bathroom. i even had to share a wall with it. in conclusion, i concur. jester smells like pee.

Status
Not open for further replies.