UTMB Class of 2009!!!! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
same question as above...what is the best bank to get down there? I have wells fargo now...but there isnt one there...and thats weird!!! Also...i am doing PREP...ill be there sometime on saturday night maybe...although im living in the dorms....so i wont be able to move in until monday...so im gonna be homeless for a couple of nights...haha...ill figure something out though...oh...and good luck to people finding places to live...it sure can get overwhelming!!! oh...and another thing...i just graduated.....how weird does it feel to actually have a college degree?? maybe its just me....

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah for me, I just finished my last final earlier today and now all I have to do is manage to walk across the stage. I still graduate even if I fail that right? Geesh, I am so exhausted I feel like I could with all those peeps watching me.
I am almost prepared to start looking for housing, after the wedding that is. I've got two and one-half weeks to wrap all that up then summer vacation really starts! Woo hoo, any good ideas of cool things to do this summer. We are going to take a road trip on our way to Galveston, from Portland, OR. We'll spend two weeks total. Most of the time will be spent in San Diego, but any ideas of other great stops would be splendid.
Sorry all I keep forgetting and am too lazy to look back about when pre-matric starts. I got it figured out now. You all could tell us what you learn and get us prepped too. Remember teaching someone else is the best way to learn! You can do some self experiments about what kind of mosquito repellant to invest in. Another random thought/question is walmart the only store in galveston? that is all I ever hear about. How close is a shopping mall for clothes and all that?

ummm....i think there is a mall on the mainland...not too far....oh...and there is a target...yippee...that could be a good thing...but a bad thing for my checking account...hahaha....OH...and anybody who is doing the PREP thing....where do we park the first morning??? cuz we wont have our permits yet...

Members don't see this ad :)
Rachelle02 said:
ummm....i think there is a mall on the mainland...not too far....oh...and there is a target...yippee...that could be a good thing...but a bad thing for my checking account...hahaha....OH...and anybody who is doing the PREP thing....where do we park the first morning??? cuz we wont have our permits yet...

You sure do use a lot of periods.

hahaha..............................yes i do

arierty said:
Yeah for me, I just finished my last final earlier today and now all I have to do is manage to walk across the stage. I still graduate even if I fail that right? Geesh, I am so exhausted I feel like I could with all those peeps watching me.
I am almost prepared to start looking for housing, after the wedding that is. I've got two and one-half weeks to wrap all that up then summer vacation really starts! Woo hoo, any good ideas of cool things to do this summer. We are going to take a road trip on our way to Galveston, from Portland, OR. We'll spend two weeks total. Most of the time will be spent in San Diego, but any ideas of other great stops would be splendid.
Sorry all I keep forgetting and am too lazy to look back about when pre-matric starts. I got it figured out now. You all could tell us what you learn and get us prepped too. Remember teaching someone else is the best way to learn! You can do some self experiments about what kind of mosquito repellant to invest in. Another random thought/question is walmart the only store in galveston? that is all I ever hear about. How close is a shopping mall for clothes and all that?

road trip ideas: vegas baby! i'll be there june 13-16. grand canyon. maybe a slight detour to mexico. maybe austin? but i might just be suggesting that because i miss austin already.

from my driving around the island so far, walmart and target are the two big stores i've seen. i've seen the exit for mall of the mainland off of I-45 maybe about 15 minutes from galveston island. The next big shopping area i've seen is a bit further away off of Bay Area Blvd, where there is a best buy and a bunch of shopping places on both sides of the freeway.

Doobiecow7 said:
if you're in school, i think transcripts for spring semester are due at the end of May
fotolilith said:
You have some immunization forms that are due the by July 1st, but I think we pay tuition during orientation.

I dunno, tho. I just quit my job yesterday, so I will FINALLY have time to go through these papers. :)

good luck!

Thanks for the info! What's this about a parent get together? I asked my parents and they haven't received anything. When is it scheduled?

My parents didn't get invited either. But I was thinking maybe it's because we are so far away UTMB assumes my parents won't come.

Hey guys. Please post when you receive the email about class of 08 scribes. I'm so paranoid about missing the email cuz my email account has been screwing up lately (but I think I have it fixed...let's hope :scared: ).

We should be getting another mailing sometime in June! :thumbup:

Prematric folks: let us know how the first week goes! AHH!

arierty said:
My parents didn't get invited either. But I was thinking maybe it's because we are so far away UTMB assumes my parents won't come.
Hmmm...That's odd. I'm only in Dallas...

the breakfast is at a hotel in houston, so maybe they just invited people whose permanent mailing addresses are in the houston area...or maybe we're just the people utmb thinks will fail out of school so they're having a breakfast for our parents to warn them of our impending doom.

I'm in Houston... got no invite for the parents...and I know my address is right because they sent me other stuff...
I think my undergrad told them not to bother with my parents....they never show...

My econnect states that UTMB still hasn't received my transcript yet and it's been about two weeks already, is anyone else in this situation also?

I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should poke at my undergraduate university or whether it just takes UTMB a while to process these things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm...my parents haven't received an invite either and they live about 1.5 hrs away. I wonder why...?

(This is sorta reminiscent of those interview invite days...*sigh* oh the memories. Boy, am I glad those days are over. :p )

AQP said:
My econnect states that UTMB still hasn't received my transcript yet and it's been about two weeks already, is anyone else in this situation also?

I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should poke at my undergraduate university or whether it just takes UTMB a while to process these things.

Poke away! I had to poke twice to get one of my transcripts sent, and it took *three months!* :mad: Call UTMB first and they will look for it, but if your transcript is sent right it should not take more than a week or two for the record to show up.

This is important, and sometimes files get misplaced, so don't feel bad about lighting a fire under their seat - it's better than having a hold on your record.

Hey good luck to the peeps who are going to prematric orientation tomorrow. How exciting :sleep: . Haha. It'd be cool if y'all took note of any useful tidbits of info about UTMB, hangouts, crap like that (I don't care about the material just yet! Not til Sept!) and let us in on them perhaps? Enjoy your summer of studying and making new friends... :D

UTKB said:
Hey good luck to the peeps who are going to prematric orientation tomorrow. How exciting :sleep: . Haha. It'd be cool if y'all took note of any useful tidbits of info about UTMB, hangouts, crap like that (I don't care about the material just yet! Not til Sept!) and let us in on them perhaps? Enjoy your summer of studying and making new friends... :D

Do it yourself you lazy ass!

UTKB said:
:eek: :( meanie! Don't make me come over there! :p

Better watch out... daysleeprx is the bestest stalker of them all, I shudder to think what you'll find when you look out into the bushes tonight. :eek:

fotolilith said:
Better watch out... daysleeprx is the bestest stalker of them all, I shudder to think what you'll find when you look out into the bushes tonight. :eek:

<shudder> :scared:

So, tell us about Prematric, for all of us who are living vicariously through you all for the next two months or so.

I am officially graduated now!! I was really sick with food poisoning through graduation, I didn't even get to stay through it :( but I made it!!

arierty said:
So, tell us about Prematric, for all of us who are living vicariously through you all for the next two months or so.

I am officially graduated now!! I was really sick with food poisoning through graduation, I didn't even get to stay through it :( but I made it!!

Bummer about being sick!

Prematric is cool. Wdarli and I just bought new toilet seats... we're getting ready for med school the right way! :)

Back to Gross Anatomy.:)

Alright people, keep an eye on your mailboxes. Got the second mailing today, postmarked May 27. Just a bunch of flyers for clubs and frats, a few programs, scribe stuff.

Foto,
That's all, you finally make your official MS1 debut and your only goin' to give us a few sentences! One about toilet seats for that matter. Are you that busy, oh great!! :scared:

So...pre-matric people...after your first week at UTMB is officially over, what are your impressions? Got any pearls of wisdom for us non-prematric folks? :p

arierty said:
Foto,
That's all, you finally make your official MS1 debut and your only goin' to give us a few sentences! One about toilet seats for that matter. Are you that busy, oh great!! :scared:

I think they're trying to scare us stupid right now, or that's the impression at least some of us are getting from pre-matric. But then again, in a war zone, you do a lot of bonding with your fellow soldiers...er, med students, so that's a plus, at least. :)

Overall, we're getting a lot of exposure in the program...to what, is debatable. Unlike the real UTMB curriculum, where you get ONE class at a time, the prematrics get an 8am-5pm schedule stuffed with multiple courses (gross anatomy, molecules cells and tissues, pathobio, microanatomy, neurosciences). I feel like I haven't been this exhausted in forever, and a few of us have resorted to frappuccinos and oatmeal cream pies to dull the pain. It makes me doubly glad I don't go to UTH or UTSW, where multiple course cramming is the norm.

On an exciting note, we got to meet our bodies and start digging round for anatomic features on the second day. Although so far I think I'd have better luck with a metal detector on the beach than a scalpel in my "tank." Believe me, you get a little daunted when, after *30 minutes of searching* for the axillary artery, you find something odd and the Pathologist in charge answers "Beats the hell out of me" when you ask what it is.

But hey, it is true what they say about "your first cut," and it was interesting to see some actual path features (like breast cancer, a pacemaker, etc). Furthermore, we are learning what doesn't work in terms of prepping for gross lab (hint - find the items in your anatomy atlas/ dissector, THEN go to lab, cuz they don't tell you when you get there).

I'm pretty impressed with the PBL program so far - I think cuz you rarely have a "wrong" answer and you get to interact with other students instead of sitting in class listening to the prof read bedtime stories (aka, lectures). In these problem based learning groups, you get presented with more and more slices of a case study and you keep on throwing out ideas and looking up stuff.

Living at PHI CHI has its ups and downs (yeah, it looks old, but it's affordable, and your neighbors might give you hundreds of dollars of free books like mine did ;)). It's definitely not for everyone (one girl called home in hysterics when she first saw her room), but all the residents I've met have been cool and I've already started planning the painting/ furniture schemes I want to do in the future.

Overall, I'm glad that I can acclimate myself to UTMB *now* instead right at the beginning of the semester. We're all excited to finally be "official" med students (we got our id badges today), and I'm pretty confident that the UTMB C/O 2009 is going to be an eclectic and supportive bunch.

We did gleam some pearls of wisdom from upper classmen:
- Ask around for free/ cheap books, get Lippincott's Biochem, High Yield Embryo, BRS Path, a used copy of first aid, etc.
- Printing is free in the student life building
- The Walmart is scary no matter *what* time of day you go there
- Buy the scribes (notes) from last year, study them, take notes on them, read your notes after class, and treat med school like a job (ie, go to class 8-12, study 12-5).

Hope that gives you a rough estimate. Enjoy your summer!

Hello everyone!

I found out about SDN a little later than the rest of you... but I am finally here! I will also be attending UTMB this fall with the Class of 2009. YAY! :love:

For the Prematriculators out there.... Does anyone know if the UTMB anatomy labs have a "Wet Netter" for every dissection station??

Also, does UTMB provide a company to order scrubs through (maybe for a discount... that would be nice), or are we expected to find and buy our own before school starts?

NatrlRx123 said:
Hello everyone!

I found out about SDN a little later than the rest of you... but I am finally here! I will also be attending UTMB this fall with the Class of 2009. YAY! :love:

For the Prematriculators out there.... Does anyone know if the UTMB anatomy labs have a "Wet Netter" for every dissection station??

Also, does UTMB provide a company to order scrubs through (maybe for a discount... that would be nice), or are we expected to find and buy our own before school starts?

every group ( tank ) locker is provided with a dissector book as well as a netter's...at least for us prematrics. However...i did hear them say something about every group in the fall needing to provide their own...but its only like 60 bucks...so thats like 12 bucks a person...not too bad honestly. Also, you can get scrubs at the bookstore.

fotolilith said:
I think they're trying to scare us stupid right now, or that's the impression at least some of us are getting from pre-matric. But then again, in a war zone, you do a lot of bonding with your fellow soldiers...er, med students, so that's a plus, at least. :)

Overall, we're getting a lot of exposure in the program...to what, is debatable. Unlike the real UTMB curriculum, where you get ONE class at a time, the prematrics get an 8am-5pm schedule stuffed with multiple courses (gross anatomy, molecules cells and tissues, pathobio, microanatomy, neurosciences). I feel like I haven't been this exhausted in forever, and a few of us have resorted to frappuccinos and oatmeal cream pies to dull the pain. It makes me doubly glad I don't go to UTH or UTSW, where multiple course cramming is the norm.

On an exciting note, we got to meet our bodies and start digging round for anatomic features on the second day. Although so far I think I'd have better luck with a metal detector on the beach than a scalpel in my "tank." Believe me, you get a little daunted when, after *30 minutes of searching* for the axillary artery, you find something odd and the Pathologist in charge answers "Beats the hell out of me" when you ask what it is.

But hey, it is true what they say about "your first cut," and it was interesting to see some actual path features (like breast cancer, a pacemaker, etc). Furthermore, we are learning what doesn't work in terms of prepping for gross lab (hint - find the items in your anatomy atlas/ dissector, THEN go to lab, cuz they don't tell you when you get there).

I'm pretty impressed with the PBL program so far - I think cuz you rarely have a "wrong" answer and you get to interact with other students instead of sitting in class listening to the prof read bedtime stories (aka, lectures). In these problem based learning groups, you get presented with more and more slices of a case study and you keep on throwing out ideas and looking up stuff.

Living at PHI CHI has its ups and downs (yeah, it looks old, but it's affordable, and your neighbors might give you hundreds of dollars of free books like mine did ;)). It's definitely not for everyone (one girl called home in hysterics when she first saw her room), but all the residents I've met have been cool and I've already started planning the painting/ furniture schemes I want to do in the future.

Overall, I'm glad that I can acclimate myself to UTMB *now* instead right at the beginning of the semester. We're all excited to finally be "official" med students (we got our id badges today), and I'm pretty confident that the UTMB C/O 2009 is going to be an eclectic and supportive bunch.

We did gleam some pearls of wisdom from upper classmen:
- Ask around for free/ cheap books, get Lippincott's Biochem, High Yield Embryo, BRS Path, a used copy of first aid, etc.
- Printing is free in the student life building
- The Walmart is scary no matter *what* time of day you go there
- Buy the scribes (notes) from last year, study them, take notes on them, read your notes after class, and treat med school like a job (ie, go to class 8-12, study 12-5).

Hope that gives you a rough estimate. Enjoy your summer!

Man, thanks for all the useful info! You're awesome!

NatrlRx123 said:
Hello everyone!

Yeah, we have to get our own scrubs... OR, if you are dependable, you can go to the laundry room in John Sealy Hospital, check out a pair of scrubs, and check them back in (usually next day or within the week). That way you don't have to carry around some stinky scrubs all day.

I think in the past they said that students had to have an extra dissector for the lab, but I don't know if the ones we are using now will still be available in the fall.

I just found SDN, and I wanted to say hello to all of my future classmates. Does anyone know when and where we go to apply for financial aid?
Ben

chiefhotmango said:
I just found SDN, and I wanted to say hello to all of my future classmates. Does anyone know when and where we go to apply for financial aid?
Ben

We first got the info on our initial acceptance packets, but you can find it here too: http://www.utmb.edu/enrollmentservices/prospect/financial_aid/index.html

You need to apply for FAFSA, send you and your parents' W2 (or one) for grants, and they cannot guarantee funds in time if you don't send your info at least 30 days before classes start.

fotolilith said:
We first got the info on our initial acceptance packets, but you can find it here too: http://www.utmb.edu/enrollmentservices/prospect/financial_aid/index.html

You need to apply for FAFSA, send you and your parents' W2 (or one) for grants, and they cannot guarantee funds in time if you don't send your info at least 30 days before classes start.

Thanks for your help. I started working on FAFSA, and their website said I have until June 30th to apply for fall aid, I better get this stuff in so I don't have to work the drive through while studying anatomy.

I was wondering, are any of you buying houses in the Clear Lake/Friendswood/League City area? I went house hunting again this weekend and am curious if I am going to be one of the very few commuting to school. I am almost positive I will be living out in that area (if I can find a house fast enough...). If I can't I will probably live on the island for 6 months and keep house hunting and move when I can. Though I don't really want to commute every day, I am used to driving a lot since I am from Dallas and everything here is really far apart. I have to drive 30 minutes to get anywhere so I don't think it will bother me that much to keep it up. Is anyone possibly interested in alternating carpooling??? Please PM me if you might be interested.

I also spent the day and night in Galveston on Thursday to experience what the island is like (because from my initial impression from interview day... I remember thinking Galveston is a little scary, but I really liked UTMB, so I wanted to check it out again before moving.) Let me tell you, I had a few experiences that were totally crazy. There were really good times, and really bad times all in the same day.

BAD:
1. Never stay or have your relatives at the La Quinta Inn on the Seawall. It smelled like mildew (yes, I understand the humidity and all that, but last time I was down, the Ramada Limited was WAY better, and no mildew smell). The shower head at La Quinta was overflowing with yeast colonies, I actually had to wipe them off with a washcloth. :scared: . There were flies all over my room. But the absolute worst was when I pulled back the blankets to go to sleep, and the white sheets were... let's just say not so clean. It's as if the maids didn't even change them from the people who stayed there before. Ewww!
2. Went to the Strand to check out the nightlife and found not a lot going on. One club (Gravity) had music pumping out onto the streets... but there were some scary thuggish guys hanging out front so I didn't go in. I peeked in the window and some not so scary people were at the bar. Overall maybe 12 people in the bar/standing outside total. Maybe because it was Thursday? Really awesome buildings/stores though. I need to come back during the day. Cross over a few streets towards the seawall and it gets really scary. Galveston seems very hit or miss. There are really cool places to hang out and see (like the Strand and the one street next to it), but it is also totally ghetto at the same time right on the next street. I couldn't even find a decent gas station to stop and get a bottle of water before I went back to my hotel because I didn't feel very safe going into any of them. I do realize that after time, we will probably know where to go and not go, but I am not to that point yet since I still live 300 miles away.
3. This next story is really why I even logged on today... but I will preface it with another story. My friends went to Galveston a few years ago and came back saying they were on the beach at night, going "crabbing" (looking to find crabs on the beach) or something like that... and they were chasing these things that were moving, thinking they were crabs but really they turned out to be giant rats. Okay, so now back to my personal experience... After I left the Strand, I was driving back to the La Quinta and I was stopped at the stop sign at 16th and Church. I noticed there was something about the size of a squirrel climbing across the telephone wire above me and I was thinking "That's a big squirrel, where's the tail???" Turns out it was a giant rat!!!! :eek: I have never seen an actual rat outside of a pet store and it was a little strange, I have to admit. Is this common? Are you people who live there ever out at night and see a random rat cross your path??? I was only there one night and it happened to me so I don't know what to think.

Okay, so now that I freaked everyone out with the crazy stuff. Here's the...

REALLY GOOD (things I like so much I might change my mind and live on the island after all!):
1. The seafood and margaritas at night, outside with the ocean breeze!!! I don't even like seafood, but something about the island made me want crab legs and shrimp and they were absolutely delicious!
2. The ocean rules! I was very happy to actually see some blue water past the murky first few feet. I always heard "The Gulf is filthy...", but I am here to say, on Thursday, there was some blue water. Also, there is NOTHING better than taking an after dinner walk along the beach and listening to the waves. I didn't see any rats on the beach by the way. I did see a tiny crab though, he was cute.
3. At sunset I took the ferry across to Pelican Island (??? I think it was Pelican island) and not only was it fun, but it was FREE fun... the best kind.
4. Bringing me to my next point, I saw pelicans! It was awesome.

I know this is a long post, but that was what I experienced in just one day. This is going to be an adventure for all of us!!! :)

NatrlRx123 said:
I was wondering, are any of you buying houses in the Clear Lake/Friendswood/League City area?

There is someone in our class who commutes 40 mins from Seabrook every day - he just takes HWY 146 and doesn't have any problems (though I noticed construction along that way this week).

NatrlRx123 said:
BAD: [snip]

Yeah, I stayed at one of those in Austin... and this one hosted not only mildew, but also a *tattoo convention* (okay, so maybe the tats were cooler than the mold, but hey). If you want to avoid that stuff, ask around among other students or look at ratings online before you travel. Also, you can report those types of places to BBB, or ask for a better room. I had friends who stayed there with no problems, so it's a shame you got shafted.

NatrlRx123 said:
3. This next story is really why I even logged on today...
Is this common? Are you people who live there ever out at night and see a random rat cross your path??? I was only there one night and it happened to me so I don't know what to think.

This past year while living in Houston, I looked outside on my back porch and saw a rat sauntering by my plastic chairs. Additionally, while visiting friends in Clear Lake, we had a big rat walk past our BBQ pit.

HOWEVER rats are not localized to the Texas coast: when I was a kid visiting my grandparents in Irving (a suburb of Dallas), their dogs would bring us little "rat presents" all of the time. In fact, I can relate to your perception, because I grew up being afraid that Dallas was overrun with rodents!

So, while you may never have seen a rat outside of a pet store, they are all over the place.

Really, though it might seem like a lot of pests in a small area, Galveston primarily has a rat problem only after big storms.

It sounds like you've had a big day, with both good and bad experiences. Hopefully you will have a fun and productive (in house hunting) summer!

NatrlRx123 said:
The seafood and margaritas at night, outside with the ocean breeze!!! I don't even like seafood, but something about the island made me want crab legs and shrimp and they were absolutely delicious!

I don't really like seafood either (no flaming, I already get crap from my whole family). Just canned tuna, if that even counts. Most of the restaurants on the island are seafood restaurants, so I hope I learn to like it. :oops:

It's getting closer to moving time, and I have an apartment secured. I just can't wait to quit my job and stick it to my sexist supervisor!! :mad:

NatrlRx123 said:
3. This next story is really why I even logged on today... but I will preface it with another story. My friends went to Galveston a few years ago and came back saying they were on the beach at night, going "crabbing" (looking to find crabs on the beach) or something like that... and they were chasing these things that were moving, thinking they were crabs but really they turned out to be giant rats. Okay, so now back to my personal experience... After I left the Strand, I was driving back to the La Quinta and I was stopped at the stop sign at 16th and Church. I noticed there was something about the size of a squirrel climbing across the telephone wire above me and I was thinking "That's a big squirrel, where's the tail???" Turns out it was a giant rat!!!! :eek: I have never seen an actual rat outside of a pet store and it was a little strange, I have to admit. Is this common? Are you people who live there ever out at night and see a random rat cross your path??? I was only there one night and it happened to me so I don't know what to think.

How exactly do you confuse rats for crabs?

UTKB said:
I don't really like seafood either (no flaming, I already get crap from my whole family). Just canned tuna, if that even counts. Most of the restaurants on the island are seafood restaurants, so I hope I learn to like it. :oops:

It's getting closer to moving time, and I have an apartment secured. I just can't wait to quit my job and stick it to my sexist supervisor!! :mad:

Just monitor what new things you're eating & how you react to it - we were talking about food allergies in pathobiology today and...well :eek:

Hey guys...anyone know what our schedule will actually look like? All I have is what I was given during my interview.

H2doc said:
Hey guys...anyone know what our schedule will actually look like? All I have is what I was given during my interview.

Voila?

Thanks LostDoktor. What about our day-to-day schedule?

Day to day schedule would be located here. However, it hasn't been updated for us yet... =)

AAAAHHHH I hate my supervisor :mad: !!! He looks at my chest when I talk to him (not that I can blame him ;) ).

And he actually said, "Well if YOU can get in (to medical school), then I surely can." IDIOT NO YOU CAN'T!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

As I said before, I can't wait to quit.

OK, sorry for the vent.

UTKB said:
AAAAHHHH I hate my supervisor :mad: !!! He looks at my chest when I talk to him (not that I can blame him ;) ).

And he actually said, "Well if YOU can get in (to medical school), then I surely can." IDIOT NO YOU CAN'T!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

As I said before, I can't wait to quit.

OK, sorry for the vent.

Man, I got groped by a dead guy today.

I win.

Welcome guys (and gals, of course),

Just dropping by on this site for the first time in a long time. On behalf of the Class of '08, welcome to med school at UTMB. I know there are quite a few of my colleagues occasionally dropping by here to offer words of wisdom. I come offering similar services, although the majority of you will not look at this board again after a few weeks into the actual program, due to preoccupation of other medical and social activities. For those of you in prematric, good luck and enjoy the experience. Don't get to hung up on the workload, just as the transition from mid school to high school then college, med school requires some adjustment, some catch on faster than others, but with much dedication, and an equal attempt to socialize and become acquainted with at least a few friends the first week out, you'll be on your way. For those who are not pre-matric, like I wasn't, don't feel like you're missing out and getting left stranded waiting for the next Ferry. While there are advantages, both social and academic, to acclimate early into medical school, it doesn't extinguish your chances of climbing up the medical totem pole. You get out what you put in and those GAR non-prematrics who were dedicated & hardworking stood equally bright alongside their prematric counterparts in WAC (which is just a fun, but helpful tool in prepping for exams) and written/practical exams alike. The concept of pre-matric is also only really "significant" when it comes to GAR, all bets are off when you proceed through the remaining courses. Each requiring fine adjusting of your learning and test taking skills to find what works for you. Your class is a venerable melting pot (which UTMB likes to boast would give NY a run for its money) and you will meet, if you haven't already, people (and personalities) you may have never met in your entire life. You will loves some, you will hate some, and the rest you will tolerate in the course of PBL sessions and what-not activities that the Assessment committee comes up with. Regardless, while I am always annoyed when I hear the phrase, "welcome to the real world"( sounds like some annoying catch-phrase created by an MTV show that continues to rot the minds of future generations as it did ours), there is some truth to the phrase that no amount of psycho-babble I can dish out at the moment which will get you to accept its true implications until you're good and ready. Profs will come and go, but interestingly the most animated and loveable bunch came from GAR. Although you will meet a bunch of memorable personas sprinkled throughout the remainder of Year 1, both in lectures and PBL, alike. It's good to vent, but don't waste developing an overwhelming hatred for this person that you will likely never interact with again. Dance to the piper's tune, participate and play nice with the other kids in PBL, decide how much HP or H is worth to you and put in the corresponding amount of work in preparing for exams. Don't get me wrong, what you learn here is important, as I'm sure many of you would roll your eyes and say "duh", but seriously, don't get so wrapped up in Honors, High-Pass, crap that the Administration and Academia must label our work for the sake of appeasing the "Innovative Assessment" gods. What got me through the year, was thinking of "one day, a patient's life is going to depend on my knowledge of this concept, and while it may seem really insignificant now, it can shed light to alot of future concepts I've yet to learn and will inevitably help me in becoming a good doctor for my patients". Which, med school interview or not, I can only hope that each one of you has that goal of helping your patients somewhere in your "top 3" reasons you signed up for this. Sure, you're going to care about grades, that's what the system perpetuates, and unfortunately, you will be prone to competition, because there's only a limited number of spots reserved for Honors in each course and only top 50% (give or take) are granted High-Pass. Good grades = good residency= good position = Happiness, right? (while I wouldn't use equals, but more accurately, contributes to the next, the last part of that equation definitly has alot more factors (non-academic) that some of you can already appreciate. I did the whole grad school thing already (I have my doctorate in pharmacy) and yeah if we run into each other and you're actually interested, I'll tell you that story, but when it comes down to it. Those two letters granted to you after 4 years of med school means you qualify to be an apprentice for further training into a specialty. The residency certificate and that medical liscence you pay $2000 bucks and about 10 years of your life for provides you an opportunity to practice Medicine. Where you take it from there, is your call. You don't get a magic ticket that says "Redeem for Perfect husband/wife, kids, mortgage, job, car, retirement plan...dentures". So, live life while you're in med school. I'm not promoting debauchery any chance you get or anything like that, but I'm saying is that friends will really make this experience worthwhile, and at times you will regard them as your only lifesaver from a complete melt-down. A few of my colleagues can even attest that some of them met a potential candidate for perfect husband/wife during this med school experience. So, go forth and learn to be good doctors, but meet and mingle with your colleagues along the way. Yes, I know that this won't stop the inevitable existence of gunners, dinguses,bitches, and the per usual group of "immature-how-the-hell-did-you-get-into-med-school-go-back-to-first-grade"from sprouting in your class, but you'll see those folks post med school too (just ask your parents lol), just learn to deal/ignore, focus on the goal at hand, which is noble in nature, and get ready because it's going to be a bumpy ride/life. I'm not promising you won't get disenchanted along the way and question why you decided to pursue this profession, but I can promise moments during your training and practice, wherein experiences with patients will remind you of the reason. Anyways, I'm here, I think some of my peeps are around, throw us questions (although some I may answer as worry-about-it-when-you-cross-that-bridge). Otherwise, good luck to you all! And time for a shameless advertisement for you to check out AIM (Alliance in Internal Medicine) an amazing organization, co-run by yours truly, looking for a few good future doctors to entertain with guest speakers aplenty (whose big names you will come to realize later lol), opportunities to learn and hone clinical skills, more networking and socializing, med publications via email and snail mail, and much much more for an affordable (even for us dirt-poor-med-students) price. Come one come all!

Okay end post-modern dissertation. Let the games begin! *climbs off soap box*

PS: *pulls out a megaphone* one more, thing, if you're some 20-21 y/o wanting to disregard this message then nothing more than some diatribe of some pharmacist suffering from a mid-life crisis--reality check- I'm 24, and there are alot of students in my class who've taken a break post-undergrad to do research, raise a family,work, travel, military, live life, go to grad school, and some have become really great friends of mine. They have a wealth of experience to offer and phenomenal dedication to their family and their future patients. So, I don't care, if you're Doogie Howser's brother/sister, if you're going to be one of those people who boasts how young they are, all you're really getting across is how immature you are. Get off your perceived high horse, and treat each other like colleagues, you just might learn something worthwhile.

(In my best Dr. Collins impersonation) --that is all.

Later,
Harold

Just wondering if any future or current UTMBers play tennis at all? I'd like to find someone to hit with when I get down there (something to break the monotony of jogging or running.) I used to play in high school but I just recently started up again...so I'm a bit rusty. But if anyone is interested let me know. Even if you don't play but just want to try I can try to give you a few pointers. :)

daysleeprx said:
Just wondering if any future or current UTMBers play tennis at all? I'd like to find someone to hit with when I get down there (something to break the monotony of jogging or running.) I used to play in high school but I just recently started up again...so I'm a bit rusty. But if anyone is interested let me know. Even if you don't play but just want to try I can try to give you a few pointers. :)

Hope your PHD final went well. I have several friends from my class who occasionally play, and I've always been up to learning new things so, if you're interested, message me your stuff (email/real name) and I'll see if I can't get it to the right folks..enjoy the rest of the summer.

PS: For any of you guys interested in intramurals we have really actives especially in the area of ultimate frisbee lol but there are others of course: http://www.utmb.edu/studentlife/current/intramurals/

It's a great way to meet new people, relieve stress from med school, avoid accumulating excess adipose tissue from the scholarly sedentary lifestyle and unhealthy junk food binges, and obviously a benefit to your overall cardiovascular health :) ..So check it out! :thumbup:

daysleeprx said:

Daysleeprx I would love to have some people to play tennis with once or twice a week. I am not any good, I've never had formal training, but I play with my sibs and some friends about once a week during the summer. I will definitely need the pointers.

Status
Not open for further replies.