UTMB Class of 2011!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Another FAFSA/scholarship question:

Have all UTMB scholarships already been given out?

I know some have already been notified, but not sure if the rest of the scholarships will be given after FAFSA been completed?

Members don't see this ad.

What I'm getting at is, if say 40 student for say class of 2006 did not take step 1 and was excluded in the reporting, they're still have to take step 1 sooner or later. So shouldn't the average step 1 score be reported for around 200 or so students anyway? Like the average score would be for 160 students from class of 2007 + 40 or so from class of 2006, or 160 from class of 2008 and around 40 from class of 2007?

Jeeez!!!!!! UTMB urban legend #5 lives on!!! Go back and read posts #82 and #83.

Forty students were not omitted from the results released. During FY06 UTMB reported the results of MS2s taking Step 1 at various times during the year. They published the reporting date and the number of students reporting through that date. No other Texas school reported their Step 1 scores with that much detail. Some people on this forum go back to the first reporting in July which included approximately 170 students reporting and concluded that 40 students were missing. However, updated numbers which include 193 students have been released since then and the average score was 226.

Comparatively, the latest Step 1 scores released by UTH include 196 students. No one seems to looking for missing UTH students. Also, no one seems to question why Baylor's high Step 1 scores include only the scores of graduating seniors most of which took the test as MS3s.

do one need to send in their FAFSA to be considered for merit based scholarships?

Thanks.

Don't think so. But to be on the safe side, I would fill it out. It doesn't take that long

Members don't see this ad :)
Jeeez!!!!!! UTMB urban legend #5 lives on!!! Go back and read posts #82 and #83.

Forty students were not omitted from the results released. During FY06 UTMB reported the results of MS2s taking Step 1 at various times during the year. They published the reporting date and the number of students reporting through that date. No other Texas school reported their Step 1 scores with that much detail. Some people on this forum go back to the first reporting in July which included approximately 170 students reporting and concluded that 40 students were missing. However, updated numbers which include 193 students have been released since then and the average score was 226.

Comparatively, the latest Step 1 scores released by UTH include 196 students. No one seems to looking for missing UTH students. Also, no one seems to question why Baylor's high Step 1 scores include only the scores of graduating seniors most of which took the test as MS3s.

:eek: what the gay?

Speaking of spring break! Ran across the following information about Galveston beaches.

“A common misconception about Galveston is that the water is dirty. The water in Galveston ... is actually cleaner than most California beaches.” Source Surfrider Foundation.:)

Texas beaches > California beaches. All of us Texans already new that anyway. Right!!!

Also, and more importantly, based on my own independent sampling of beaches, lakes, rivers and water parks.

Texas girls > California girls.

And in conclusion – Texas > California.:love:

got my rejection from UTHomo today.... so far i have

rejections from
1. UTHomo
2. Texas TECHnical institute or... Texas TECHnically homo OR Texas TECHnically a medical school (pick which name you like more)
3. UTSA (this is all i got, if you can come up with a clever name, lemme know)

im trying to build a collection :)...

oh and texas > cali solely on the price of real estate alone... everything else is just a bonus :)

got my rejection from UTHomo today.... so far i have

rejections from
1. UTHomo
2. Texas TECHnical institute or... Texas TECHnically homo OR Texas TECHnically a medical school (pick which name you like more)
3. UTSA (this is all i got, if you can come up with a clever name, lemme know)

im trying to build a collection :)...

oh and texas > cali solely on the price of real estate alone... everything else is just a bonus :)

cali's got the climate superiority

Speaking of spring break! Ran across the following information about Galveston beaches.

“A common misconception about Galveston is that the water is dirty. The water in Galveston ... is actually cleaner than most California beaches.” Source Surfrider Foundation.:)

Texas beaches > California beaches. All of us Texans already new that anyway. Right!!!

Also, and more importantly, based on my own independent sampling of beaches, lakes, rivers and water parks.

Texas girls > California girls.

And in conclusion – Texas > California.:love:

why do u feel texas need to prove something against california?

Hey there everybody, I'll be starting at UTMB in the fall too. I'm heading down next week (Spring Break) Monday or Tuesday to look for housing, etc. That should be a real adventure, based on what I've heard of the apartment situation...

Also, anyone in the Bryan/College Station area who wants to meet for lunch or drinks sometime this spring, let me know. I'll look forward to hearing from you.

UTMB updated their website... it looks real now!

also, has anyone received an acceptance packet or anything?

UTMB updated their website... it looks real now!

also, has anyone received an acceptance packet or anything?

The som.utmb.edu site does look good, though many of the links are dead and pages are missing...work in progress I assume.

Anyway, I don't think they've sent out packets yet (at least not to me) other than that transcript request/student ID paper a couple weeks ago.

Got back from apt hunting in Galveston today. Put myself on the waitlist for Villa Marina and Casa Caribe. I'm #4 and #7 on their respective lists for a 1 bedroom in August. Had a list of about ten I wanted to look at (only on east side), and drove around pretty much all of them. Ended up visiting the two I mentioned and Carelton Courtyard. All three said GET ON EARLY because there is a rush come spring break, and it fills up fast. They seem to be the most popular with students judging by their mention on previous class threads.

There was one I wanted to visit but couldn't get a hold of. Didn't see a leasing office. Called and got voicenail. I think its family owned or something. They looked relatively nice from outside, and as a small complex I don't know if a lot of people have heard of them...so might be worth checking out. The sign said Tradewind Apartments, owned by McDaniel Properties.

There was also a few garage apts on the streets around utmb. I saw one at 1301 Church st, and one around 11th and market. The Galveston MLS might have some listed, as well as thehousecompany.com

If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer!

I found a student satisfaction survey from last year. It includes students from all schools on campus. In it, 523 people out of 595 responding either agreed or strongly agreed with the statement "I would enroll at UTMB if given the choice again." Sounds like pretty good news. They didn't seem to like the parking availability situation though.

http://www.utmb.edu/studentlife/SGA/documents/rStudentService-Professionalism_002.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
When do we actually get billed for our tuition and things of that sort...?

Hey is it true about the April 1st deadline to get in your FAFSA for financial aid?

Hey is it true about the April 1st deadline to get in your FAFSA for financial aid?

I heard ASAP. I called them last week, and they said they'll be looking at the SAR for need-based scholarships starting the next week or two.

I heard ASAP. I called them last week, and they said they'll be looking at the SAR for need-based scholarships starting the next week or two.

I hope they'll start processing soon. I can't wait to see what kind of financial support I will get.

should i get an apartment of join a mediclal fraterniy,, I think joining a fraternity in meidcal school would be a very cool thing to do since it would let you build connections rally fast. I do not know if i should sign up for housing yet. Can ms1's live in the frat houses?

anybody know?

should i get an apartment of join a mediclal fraterniy,, I think joining a fraternity in meidcal school would be a very cool thing to do since it would let you build connections rally fast. I do not know if i should sign up for housing yet. Can ms1's live in the frat houses?

anybody know?

I have visited all the fraternity houses and would definitely recommend it. They all seem like a great group of people and it is very cost effective. All the houses had spaces available for ms1's and fyi there is a fraternity not listed on the handout UTMB gave us in the interview invitation package (TKY)

just curious, but do any of you know if there has been any waitlist movement yet at UTMB? i'm in the pool... :(

It's because we're all at the beach. Ok, so the water's Mississippi-mud brown, but it feels good. :cool:

It's because we're all at the beach. Ok, so the water's Mississippi-mud brown, but it feels good. :cool:

Hell yeah!! And when we get back we’re going to be more like the other class threads and discuss where to live to avoid the traffic, which bus or train stop is the best, how each class is graded and my favorite which stethoscope is the best. Or not!!!

hey diana! sorry..i don't have any info. on the utmb waitlists! haven't heard about much from the school in general!

My roommate and I are doing international preceptorships for the summer. However, we have signed our lease until July 15th. If you would like a place to stay through May 1st and July 15th let me know. You may even opt to extend the lease after July 15th if you like or you can find another place. The apartment is on the East side of the island and close to the Ferry with all bills even cable paid!

The only cost you incur is the rent. We'd really like to save some money while we are away. The apartment is at Villa Marina and is a 2b/2ba on the second floor. PM me if you are interested. I'll give you more details. This is ideal for anyone who is doing research or prematric over the summer. Or if you don't wan't to be on a waitlisting until the week before school starts.

Hopefully, this will liven up our thread a bit. One of my friends is currently an M1 UTMB student and answered some questions for me. Here's her reply:

Right now the lectures are not videotaped. Our class is trying to make that happen next year but I don't know how that will turn out. However, the powerpoints will be posted online and you can also buy scribes, which are notes from the previous year. The scribes are very helpful, I highly recommend you to buy them. The lectures usually don't change every year so the notes from last year are usually good enough.
About classes, every other day you have discussion group (about 2 hours in the morning 8-10) that is mandatory, you can only skip three. For anatomy, which is your first course, you have lab everyday so basically you have to go to lab everyday ( about 2 hours, 10am-12pm). You can't skip that. Beside that you can skip any lecture. One day a week you have practice of medicine in the afternoon, about 3 hours. Most of the people in my class attend lectures. But usually you get out at 12 everyday.
I have some friends who commute but usually they are only 30 minutes away from Galveston.

Looking forward to seeing you all soon! :)

Most of the people in my class attend lectures.

Can anyone out there really do well without attending class? For me, staying in an apartment for days at a time and studying would be a miserable existence.

It really depends on how you learn/study. I need someone to pretty much hold my nose to the grindstone or I won't keep up with the information, so I never miss a lecture. Other people feel like lecture is a waste of time, especially when you have access to the powerpoints for free, and if you subscribe to the scribes service for your year, you have access to an audio recording of every lecture, and notes as well. That plus the book means that you can do just fine without going to class at all, as long as you can motivate yourself to spend the time studying on your own.

If anyone has any questions about 1st year just let me know =)

Hopefully, this will liven up our thread a bit. One of my friends is currently an M1 UTMB student and answered some questions for me. Here's her reply:

Right now the lectures are not videotaped. Our class is trying to make that happen next year but I don't know how that will turn out. However, the powerpoints will be posted online and you can also buy scribes, which are notes from the previous year. The scribes are very helpful, I highly recommend you to buy them. The lectures usually don't change every year so the notes from last year are usually good enough.
About classes, every other day you have discussion group (about 2 hours in the morning 8-10) that is mandatory, you can only skip three. For anatomy, which is your first course, you have lab everyday so basically you have to go to lab everyday ( about 2 hours, 10am-12pm). You can't skip that. Beside that you can skip any lecture. One day a week you have practice of medicine in the afternoon, about 3 hours. Most of the people in my class attend lectures. But usually you get out at 12 everyday.
I have some friends who commute but usually they are only 30 minutes away from Galveston.

Looking forward to seeing you all soon! :)

Thanks for the info. According to your info above (lab everyday 10-12, discussion every other day 8-10, and class is done at 12 on most days), does that mean we'll on have 2 hours of lecture every other day?

Thanks for the info. According to your info above (lab everyday 10-12, discussion every other day 8-10, and class is done at 12 on most days), does that mean we'll on have 2 hours of lecture every other day?

Alritey, so I asked my buddy for some clarification and this is what she sent me:

generally for first year, you have 4 courses: GAR,
molecular cell, patho and immunology, and neuro. Each of them has different
schedule. GAR is the only one u usually stay until 1-2 in the afternoon for
radiology lecture. The rest are pretty much usually end at noon.
For GAR, which is your first one, I remember that we have lecture and then we go to
lab. Discussion group is every other day. So let's say, Monday you will have lecture
from 8-9, then from 9-11 you have lab, then 11-12 you have discussion group, then
1-2 for radiology lecture. On Tuesday, you will have lecture from 9-10, lab from
10-12, then radiology in the afternoon from 1-2. Wed will be the same as monday and
so on.
Every course will have different schedule and you will learn more when you get here
so don't worry. The rest also have lab but it's not every day as GAR, it's every
other day and you get out at 12 usually.
So basically every two months you will have different schedule depend on the course.
They are though pretty similar to each other. GAR is the most different due to lab.
But GAR is the most fun class according to most people.

Hope this is what you need. It seems as though there's a lecture everyday with discussion group every other day.

any suggestions on desktop computer? i know utmb says not to get windows vista, but is their network totally mac compatible?

Alritey, so I asked my buddy for some clarification and this is what she sent me:

generally for first year, you have 4 courses: GAR,
molecular cell, patho and immunology, and neuro. Each of them has different
schedule. GAR is the only one u usually stay until 1-2 in the afternoon for
radiology lecture. The rest are pretty much usually end at noon.
For GAR, which is your first one, I remember that we have lecture and then we go to
lab. Discussion group is every other day. So let's say, Monday you will have lecture
from 8-9, then from 9-11 you have lab, then 11-12 you have discussion group, then
1-2 for radiology lecture. On Tuesday, you will have lecture from 9-10, lab from
10-12, then radiology in the afternoon from 1-2. Wed will be the same as monday and
so on.
Every course will have different schedule and you will learn more when you get here
so don't worry. The rest also have lab but it's not every day as GAR, it's every
other day and you get out at 12 usually.
So basically every two months you will have different schedule depend on the course.
They are though pretty similar to each other. GAR is the most different due to lab.
But GAR is the most fun class according to most people.

Hope this is what you need. It seems as though there's a lecture everyday with discussion group every other day.

Thanks for the clarification, LuvMyHusky.

I saw that someone posted about living at a frat house, so I thought I'd give ya'll some info. I am a first year female and house manager at the Phi Chi house. We are co-ed and welcome women and men, are independent from the University, and are located a 5 minute walk from campus.

Our house is unique in that it is the only co-ed frat where you get a private bathroom. Our rooms are efficiency apartment-sized and each has cable tv and internet included with the rent. Laundry is on-site and free, and we have a private cook who prepares 9 meals a week (lunch Mon-Fri and dinner Mon-Thurs) that is also included with the rent. Parking is $10 one-time cost for all 4 years.

Our property features a main house with pool table, common room with a big screen tv, a home theater with projection screen and surround sound, and a courtyard with a newly resurfaced pool. Students live in buildings that surround the courtyard and each apartment door opens onto the courtyard, so its like living in an apartment building and you have lots of privacy.

Rent is $350 a month for active members and is higher for non-members. Members are responsible for doing chores around the house on monthly workdays (cleaning the kitchen, mowing the lawn, etc)

Phi Chi also provides a supportive atmosphere where you can interact with upperclassmen and get lots of advice on surviving courses, books, etc. You'll never be left alone to suffer in silence!!

Contact me via email with any questions bc I don't check this forum often:

[email protected] or check out UTMB's largest and oldest frat online:

phichizeta.org

Congrats on your acceptance! We hope you'll take advantage of the perks and low rent of our frat at the only TX med school that still has frats!

Anna

Whats up everyone! I'm soooo stoked to be a part of the UTMB family, and I cant wait to meet everyone in August.

Does anyone know any details about the Prematric program? I checked the website, but it only had a reaaalllly general description.

Whats up everyone! I'm soooo stoked to be a part of the UTMB family, and I cant wait to meet everyone in August.

Does anyone know any details about the Prematric program? I checked the website, but it only had a reaaalllly general description.

Hello!! I'm in the class of 2010 and you guys are gonna love UTMB! Anyways, I wasn't in pre-matric but I know a lot of people who were and I'll probably be a pre-matric tutor this summer. Basically about 50 students are asked to participate and you take mini versions of the 4 courses you'll be taking first year. No one is really sure how they select the students who participate - the school says its random but it may have something to do with being a minority, from a disadvantaged background, out of school for a while, low MCAT scores, or some combo, although I know of at least one person who doesn't fit any of those categories and came to prematric. It seemed like a pretty good deal to me though b/c the prematric already knew what was going on, had gotten used to the island, and made some friends so if you get invited I say go - plus you'll get to meet me! :)

K I hope that helped!

so is this prematric program mandatory? I was one of the lucky few that got invited but I am planning on travelling all summer. I also don't really understand why I specifically was invited because I havent been out of school and am a science major and don't fit any of the categories. but main question - do i have to go?

so is this prematric program mandatory? I was one of the lucky few that got invited but I am planning on travelling all summer. I also don't really understand why I specifically was invited because I havent been out of school and am a science major and don't fit any of the categories. but main question - do i have to go?

Did you get this info about the prematric program in your packet? I would like to do it during the summer.

I'm pretty sure the program isn't required. Does the packet specify when the program starts?

No I got the letter separately - its dated March 30. The program starts on May 23 till June 29.

i hope that helps!

I'd call the school. My guess is with your numbers they wouldn't be upset if you didn't want to attend. Plus, it gives them the chance to offer the spot to someone else.

tuition + fee is up to $12230 this year. Two years ago, it was $9k. So by our 4th year, we'll be paying $18k? Lame

Any ways, what's Quest?

tuition + fee is up to $12230 this year. Two years ago, it was $9k. So by our 4th year, we'll be paying $18k? Lame

Any ways, what's Quest?

I’d be surprised if it continues to go up at that pace. The state has had some budgetary problems over the past several years that led to cut backs at the med schools (especially UTMB). The state seems to have a surplus of funds now and should be able to provide better support for, at least, the next few years. Currently, UTMB is asking the state for an increase in its appropriations and legislation has been introduced naming UTMB as an indigent health care provider of last resort.

I’d be surprised if it continues to go up at that pace. The state has had some budgetary problems over the past several years that led to cut backs at the med schools (especially UTMB). The state seems to have a surplus of funds now and should be able to provide better support for, at least, the next few years. Currently, UTMB is asking the state for an increase in its appropriations and legislation has been introduced naming UTMB as an indigent health care provider of last resort.

any hope for reduction in tuition?

I doubt it.