Utmb

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsckvc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any current UTMB residents tell me what you like or dislike about the program, the area, family issues, cost of living or anything else you think is relevant. I know there are past threads on this but wanted to get some current opinions. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Pros
: As down-to-earth faculty as you will find anywhere; great research with no overwhelming pressure to do it (Top 15 in NIH grants consistently); intern year is a transitional set up at St. Jos in Houston and it is very nicely set up and IMO one of the best in the country (read: good hours!); Dr. Knox (program director) is very well-respected; the anesthesia department within the school is very well thought of and residents regularly sweep the House Staff Officer elections; great parties and social gatherings within the department that give it a closer-knit feel than a lot of other programs; Galvestion is a laid-back beach town and great if you have families; good fishing and recreational activities options; still have access to great facilities out of town like Methodist for hearts and Corpus for peds

Cons: Some don't like having to jump to Galveston after one year in Houston (moving twice essentially); some people don't find Galveston as stimulating of a town as they would like (single guys/gals) as it isn't really a bustling metropolis with a lot of industry; worrying about hurricanes

Let me know if you have any questions about these. Happy to answer.

Pros: As down-to-earth faculty as you will find anywhere; great research with no overwhelming pressure to do it (Top 15 in NIH grants consistently); intern year is a transitional set up at St. Jos in Houston and it is very nicely set up and IMO one of the best in the country (read: good hours!); Dr. Knox (program director) is very well-respected; the anesthesia department within the school is very well thought of and residents regularly sweep the House Staff Officer elections; great parties and social gatherings within the department that give it a closer-knit feel than a lot of other programs; Galvestion is a laid-back beach town and great if you have families; good fishing and recreational activities options; still have access to great facilities out of town like Methodist for hearts and Corpus for peds

Cons: Some don't like having to jump to Galveston after one year in Houston (moving twice essentially); some people don't find Galveston as stimulating of a town as they would like (single guys/gals) as it isn't really a bustling metropolis with a lot of industry; worrying about hurricanes

Let me know if you have any questions about these. Happy to answer.

How much time do you spend at Driscoll and how do you like it there? How many of you are there at a time?

Reactions: 1 user