UToledo MedStart Program 2019-2020 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted923170

Anyone planning on applying to this Early Assurance Program?

Members don't see this ad.

There are some horror stories for this program. I personally know a friend who regrets it a lot

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone hear back yet? Or know when they are notifying applicants?

I have not heard back yet. They said 4-6, but we are in week 7 now, I honestly don't know how much longer, but looking at previous years they never sent out decisions until like late February (but then again they never gave interviews before January back then).

Maybe they meant 4-6 weeks after the final interview day -January 10th?

Maybe, but they were very clear at my interview that we would hear back within that time frame. I'm not sure if we are compared amongst our group only or if they compare ALL interviewees.

I think all interviees bc someone said they are still doing final evaluations. Last year they sent it out around this time- in the end of January

Reactions: 1 user
How do you know that, I don't see any forums for MedStart 2018-2019 applicants anywhere? Also do you know what day of the week they sent decisions on, cause in the past it's been Wednesdays so I pretty much just don't expect anything at this point unless it's a Wednesday haha.

I interviewed back in November, still haven't received any update lol. Anyone get any info on when they might be notifying?

I think the main reason for the delay is that they have to still conduct committee meetings for the regular application cycle.

Also, they have to narrow approx. 50 interviewees to 15-20, so that takes time as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
So for the November interview date, only half the interviewees were MedStart. So, assuming 10 candidates from Nov, 20 from December, and 20 from January, that adds up to 50 candidates.

Of these 50 candidates, they will accept between 15 and 20.

at my interview date they mentioned also interviewing applicants in february. so it could be up to 70 people and we could be waiting for another month if they’re doing it all at once.

Wow I didn’t know there was even an option for February!now I think more like March if they decide 6 weeks after everyone has interviewed

at my interview date they mentioned also interviewing applicants in february. so it could be up to 70 people and we could be waiting for another month if they’re doing it all at once.
Were you in the January interview?

Can anyone actually 100% confirm there was a February date? I scrolled through all the months as soon as I got the email and I didn't see it there, but I also didn't see November cause there was only like 6 spots for that. If there is a February date, it'll take another 4-6 weeks after that one.

honestly who knows... they mentioned it to us but maybe they didn't actually have anyone sign up. i interviewed in november. to the people who interviewed in january, what did they say about a timeline?

wait mtsauy21, how many medstart people were in your group. specifically medstart people?

Can anyone actually 100% confirm there was a February date? I scrolled through all the months as soon as I got the email and I didn't see it there, but I also didn't see November cause there was only like 6 spots for that. If there is a February date, it'll take another 4-6 weeks after that one.
the wait is too much!same I didn’t see November and only saw December and January

I called after the January interview date curious about the timeline, they said they had just finished their interviews then. So I don't think there is one in Feb., there were 5-6 people in November by the way.

Reactions: 1 users
Okay that's good to hear. Maybe we'll hear back next week, but based on previous years and ppl it seems like they send decisions on Wednesdays but I could be very wrong about that.

Does anyone know if applicants are compared one-on-one or are they evaluated individually? To go from 50+ to 15-20 seems like a massive cut of very qualified applicants that have all made it to the interview stage.

one vs one seems intense. But then again this is pretty intense

I think people need to be compared against each other unfortunately, otherwise they would be able to technically give out 50 seats... I would hope that they are willing to take more than 20 this year since it looks like their MedStart program has been very successful according to the stats they gave us.

I think in the webinar they said they aren’t taking that many bc one year they took 20 or so and the stats were lower than previous years. I think more like 15/16

They didn’t post the stats for the most recent year. I wonder if it’s above the 3.84 GPA SAT 2060 and 31 Act

Yeah they haven't posted those stats yet, but at our interview they told us that this was the first year they were able to get med school stats on the new curriculum for Medstart students. They had an average of like somewhere above 240, close to 250 I believe (national average being 229) for Step 1. Looks like the program is doing super well, but yeah they seemed pretty adamant in the webinar to limit students taken. Just tryna be hopeful I guess haha.

I believe the vast majority of interviewees, if not all, had at least a 3.8+ GPA, 30+ ACT, or 1400+ SAT.

So most of the cuts have already been made pre-interview.

Yeah that’s true but some years the SAT was 2200 while others it was more like a 2000 and some years the ACT was a 33 others years it was a 31. I wonder if they look at grades post interview or if the interview is the deciding factor

Considering how much time they put into reviewing applications and how they evaluate the regular cycle students, I would say that it's a holistic review.

So I interviewed Dec 6th and they said the decision would come out in 4-6 weeks and the office had a break from December 20th-January 6th. So it's been about six weeks. There were about 7 kids the November date and about 10 the January date for a total of 40 kids. I doubt they have a February date for medstart interviews - either way they take about 15 kids out of 40. I don't like waiting so I'm gonna post my stats on here - I like a abundance of info over a lack of info - and if that gives you guys more info and you can choose what to do with that. If you post your own info I'd appreciate it but no worries.
High School:
- ACT:34, SAT: 1480/1600, national merit finalist (PSAT=1470), GPA: 3.84, 4.68
College: (MSU)
- GPA: 3.88
- work experience: EMT-B, Tutor for a tutoring center, Physics U.L.A. at school, research at school (got paid for a few years)
- Extracurriculars: research (leadership role, hundreds of hours), medical club, chess club, IM sports rec leagues, Volunteering (-400 hours), Shadowing (50-100 hours)
- LOR, personal statements, interview? I think they went well
Good luck to everyone!

So I interviewed Dec 6th and they said the decision would come out in 4-6 weeks and the office had a break from December 20th-January 6th. So it's been about six weeks. There were about 7 kids the November date and about 10 the January date for a total of 40 kids. I doubt they have a February date for medstart interviews - either way they take about 15 kids out of 40. I don't like waiting so I'm gonna post my stats on here - I like a abundance of info over a lack of info - and if that gives you guys more info and you can choose what to do with that. If you post your own info I'd appreciate it but no worries.
High School:
- work experience: EMT-B, Tutor for a tutoring center, Physics U.L.A. at school, research at school (got paid for a few years)
- Extracurriculars: research (leadership role, hundreds of hours), medical club, chess club, IM sports rec leagues, Volunteering (-400 hours), Shadowing (50-100 hours)
Good luck to everyone!

So I’m confused as to exactly how many Medstart applicants were at the December 6 interview? Were there 20?

Yeah I interviewed in December and there were 19 or 20 (can't remember exactly). I saw someone say there were 5 or 6 for November. Did anyone on here interview in January, and, if so, how many medstart candidates were there?

So for the November interview date, only half the interviewees were MedStart. So, assuming 10 candidates from Nov, 20 from December, and 20 from January, that adds up to 50 candidates.

Of these 50 candidates, they will accept between 15 and 20.

Someone said 20 January
50 total ?

High School:
Good luck to everyone!
Nice stats.

Were u able to fit all those activities in? I thought only 12

Someone said 20 January
50 total ?
I was just wondering bc I saw an interview tracker spreadsheet floating around the regular admissions cycle forums for this year, and I saw someone posted an interview date as 1/10 and the II date as 10/23 (a week after our invitations were sent). I took that to mean the January date didn't fill with all medstart, so it became a mixed date. I could definitely be wrong.

hey i was at the january interview. I would say out of 18-19 candidates , only 10/11 students were there for medstart. I just hope theres no bias for the later interview dates if they do decide to do rolling admissions

I called a few weeks ago after the last interview date in January to see when they’d release decisions. They were kind and said they were going to soon but its been a while. Anyone recently call and get an update?

Yah I capped off @12. I also called last week and they say the same thing every time: "we are conducting our final admission evaluations." I also don't think there is a February interview date - just seems too much and we would have heard about it on our interview date.

6 weeks from when the office opened would be a long wait. Especially for the November interviews.But then again they could wait until 4-6 weeks for the January date. Hopefully next week. Maybe Wednesday :p but for the regular admissions people have been getting acceptances any day of the week- Mon-Friday.

Regular admissions interviewee here. I was November 8th, was told 4-6 weeks and I still haven't heard back. I know that a lot of the October interviewees haven't heard back either. I would assume that the same regular admissions committee members also review medstart students, but never the less, we all have some waiting to do :/

I am tempted to but we will probably just get the same generic response of "you'll be notified as soon as possible" :(

Reactions: 1 users